PDA

View Full Version : Central Baseball League Wins All-Star Game v. NE League, 9-4

Rob4FWCats
07-21-2004, 11:00 PM
CENTRAL BASEBALL LEAGUE WINS ALL-STAR GAME VS. NORTHEAST LEAGUE, 9-4

First Ever Match Up Between the Two Leagues

Pensacola's Andy Wilson garnered All-Star Game MVP honors as he went 2-for-2 with four RBI in the Central League's 9-4 victory over the Northeast League Tuesday night at LaGrave Field in Fort Worth.

In the first ever All-Star game between the two leagues, a crowd of 4,832 watched the Northeast League strike first as Brockton's Brian Jones doubled home North Shore's Robert Fischer for a 1-0 lead in the second inning.

The Central League knotted the game at one in the bottom of the second on the first of Wilson's two sacrifice flies on the night.

In the fourth inning, the CBL All-Stars mounted a two-out rally, scoring four runs on five consecutive hits to take a 5-1 lead. Run-scoring hits from Fort Worth's Jason Radwan, Pensacola's Wilson, Fort Worth's Jim Essian and Jackson's Alex Llanos highlighted the outburst off New Haven lefty Jordy Alexander.

In the top of the fifth, the Northeast League rebounded quickly, cutting the CBL's lead to 5-4 as New Jersey's Jake Whitesides blasted the game's only homer, a three-run shot to right.

But Whitesides' round-tripper would bring home the last runs for the Northeast League as the Central League staff shutdown the NEL's offense for the remainder of the evening.

The Central League would add two runs in both the sixth and seventh innings to widen their lead. Wilson had a run batted in in each inning.

Jackson's Llanos and Edinburg second baseman Anthony Angel each had three hits for the Central League. Whitesides for the Northeast League was 2-for-5 in the game including a homer and a double.

Edinburg's Eric Montoya, who pitched a scoreless fourth inning, picked up the win for the Central League. Alexander took the loss for the Northeast League, allowing four runs in 1 2/3 innings of work.

CENTRAL BASEBALL LEAGUE 9, NORTHEAST LEAGUE 4
@ Fort Worth, Texas. Time: 2:46 ATT: 4832
W: Eric Montoya (Edinburg) L: Jordy Alexander (New Haven County)
S: None
HR: NEL - Jake Whitesides (Bangor)

Ken, Steelheads fan
07-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Will there be another CL and NeL all*star game next year? Did any representatives from the NeL complain about having to play in the Texas heat? Did they feel the CL had an unfair advantage or were they fine with the conditions?

How compatible are the two leagues? Is the limit on veterans the same for both leagues? What about rookies?

Have I asked enough questions?

:)

Rob4FWCats
07-22-2004, 08:27 PM
Will there be another CL and NeL all*star game next year? Did any representatives from the NeL complain about having to play in the Texas heat? Did they feel the CL had an unfair advantage or were they fine with the conditions?

How compatible are the two leagues? Is the limit on veterans the same for both leagues? What about rookies?

Have I asked enough questions?

:)

I'll try to answer as best I can, since I was there for the game and skills competition, as well as the all star luncheon earlier in the day. Yes, there will be another NEL vs CBL all star game next year. The CBL gets to return the favor of doing all the traveling, to Brockton, MA for the 2005 All Star Game. There's no set date yet, just assume it will be in mid-July sometime.

Everyone was fine with the game conditions. Since the game started at 7:30 Central, the sun was almost set anyway and the humidity was very low that night. Very comfortable night to watch baseball. I doubt it affected anyone's performance. I got firsthand reports afterwards of how everyone enjoyed themselves, players, team staffs and owners, and they're looking forward to doing it again.

I thought the game was played at a much higher level of play than your typical indy league game. Lot of guys who deserve a shot with affiliated clubs. I thought both leagues were very evenly matched, in spite of the final score. Like at any All Star event, a couple pitchers had mediocre outings, but they all knew how to pitch and had good stuff. I was impressed with the talent level and skill level at which the game was played.

As far as your questions on the limits on veterans and rookies for each league, I couldn't give you a simple answer on that. Their rules can be a bit confusing. Your best bet is to go to each league's website and read their league rules yourself and get an idea about each, or email the league offices.

www.northeastleague.com and www.centralleaguebaseball.com

Hope I answered at least some of your questions!

Ken, Steelheads fan
07-23-2004, 01:55 AM
I wondered about the heat because I am reminded of my time at Fort Hood, TX. One summer the air conditioning went out in our barracks. The Texas heat was so unbearable that every night we slept outside on the grass (or what was left of it) to escape the heat. Quite a bizarre sight.

Yes, you answered most of my questions. Thank you.

BerkshireFan
07-23-2004, 07:23 PM
As far as your questions on the limits on veterans and rookies for each league, I couldn't give you a simple answer on that. Their rules can be a bit confusing.

I'm almost positive that the Central League, Northeast League, and the Northern League all operate under the same exact roster rules. To put it as simple as possible, every team is required to have four rookies and is limited to a maximum of four veterans (six or more years of professional play). The rest of the roster is made up of players with one to five years of professional experience. It is a relatively successful way of maintaining parity, and keeping payroll down.

-Marc