PDA

View Full Version : free agent camps

one way
08-31-2007, 05:35 PM
I thought that the NBDL had their big free agent camp already. That was the one where guys paid 500 dollars to try out. Now I see that Colorado is having another free agent camp. I suspect others will follow. Why did they have the 500 one if teams are going to run their own camps and charge dollars? Also, how many spots are really going to be open on these clubs? This sounds like a fund raiser

bectond
08-31-2007, 06:09 PM
The $500 try-out in Chicago was for players that want to be included in the NBDL draft.
Teams can acquire players by allocation (local player rights), the draft or via team try-outs.

The players at the Chicago camp were attempting to impress the D-League scouts that select the players that will be eligible for the draft.

The players that attend the local try-out are attempting to catch-on with the local team.

AConcernedCitizen
09-26-2007, 04:29 AM
Can a team sign anyone, i.e., a free agent, once the season starts?

Does the $15,000 salary cap apply to everyone, so if your team is playing poorly, can you bring in a guy who is playing in Europe?

Or can you do this, but have to have him drop his salary if it is more than $15,000?

And in the D-League, do the clubs provide a car and an apartment for free, as teams in Europe do?

$15,000 won't get you far...

ChumpDumper
09-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Can a team sign anyone, i.e., a free agent, once the season starts? In most cases if he is truly a free agent, yes.Does the $15,000 salary cap apply to everyone, so if your team is playing poorly, can you bring in a guy who is playing in Europe?I've read different things, like that a larger salary level ($30-40k) is available for a "star level" player. As far as I can tell, there is no financial penalty for waiving players or going over any total cap number, so there can be a good deal of roster churn if something needs to change.Or can you do this, but have to have him drop his salary if it is more than $15,000?He would only be playing under a D-League contract, so he would have to play for D-League money.And in the D-League, do the clubs provide a car and an apartment for free, as teams in Europe do? Apartments: yes, very nice ones in Austin at least. Cars: doubtful but I don't know for sure. Some one else here probably knows more than I.

Pounder
09-26-2007, 02:11 PM
If anyone is UNDER contract in Europe, it has to be bought out. I doubt the NBA wants to go there for the D-League.

AConcernedCitizen
09-27-2007, 09:09 AM
Well, that may be true, but the NBA doesn't 'own' the D-League. In several cases local businessmen or groups own the teams. What does a local owner want? To win.

When you win, you get more sponsors, you get bigger crowds, you make more money.

Or do you just accept the role of the NBA as your overlord?

Hard to understand, in minor league baseball, ALL the players on say the Trenton Thunder belong to the NY Yankees.

Who owns each of the 12 players on each D-League team?

ChumpDumper
09-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Or do you just accept the role of the NBA as your overlord?They did that when they agreed to own a franchise in a league owned by the NBA.Who owns each of the 12 players on each D-League team?If they aren't send-downs from NBA teams, their salaries are paid by the NBA.