PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone get autographs in the GBL?

GoSportsCards
08-29-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm just curious, does anyone get autographs in the GBL?

Pietsch Fan
08-29-2007, 11:46 AM

Sure. The kids love getting adults from any level of athletes. And adults even get them from their favorite guys.

Mary

GoSportsCards
08-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Do you know if they have team baseball card sets? Or do they usually just get balls and hats signed?

Softball Chick
08-29-2007, 12:06 PM
I get autographs all of the time. I have balls, broken bats, jerseys, etc.... signed by the guys and the managers of not only the LB team, but other teams as well. I collect baseball memorabilia and think minor league teams are just as important as the majors. LB does not have a "set" of cards this season, but they did give out cards with a number of players on them as game day give aways. And yes, mine are all signed. I did see in Chico that they have an actual set of cards for sale.

Silver Sox Fan
08-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Well, not actually me but my kids. They got programs and balls signed this year. I would if I had something cool for them all to sign, though.

Reno has player cards. Chico does as well.

My theory is that if we treat this like MLB baseball we will enjoy it that much more. I obviously realize that the league doesn't have the talent, resources, and depth of the MLB but I try not to let that affect me.

I figure that if I do it for my MLB teams, then I do it for the GBL teams--follow stats, learn about the players, sport the merchandise...heck, I even made a blog about our team where I tried to discuss issues just as I would for an MLB team. Getting autographs is part of that in my book.

As you get older, others tend to look down on you for getting autographs or bringing your glove to a game. Part of that may be why some players don't want to give autographs to anyone over 20 as most will probably just put those on ebay without doing it for the satisfaction of meeting their favorite player and getting a momento of the occasion. As I said, if I had a cool momento like a game used score card, broken bat, etc. I would definitely love to get it autographed by the Silver Sox. It is part of the baseball experience and one that I think we get jaded to as adults.

There was a saying for my local minor league team growing up that also rings true for the GBL: "Where it is still as much of a thrill to give an autograph as to get one". These guys work their tails off for our enjoyment. I say ask them for an autograph just as you would a MLB player.

FlyerFan
08-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Our guys give autographs before and after each game. More than once Peanut Williams had a group of kids with something for him to sign when he came up for his after the game meal. The team gave out a poster with a team picture and some nice graphics that we (the booster club) had signed by all the guys and then we framed it and gave it to our favorite sponsor/concession, Pizza Club, to hang in their restraunt. They were thrilled and have proudly hung it up. Fans showing an interest in collecting autographs can only encourage these guys to keep going... you know it isn't the money at this level! :)

peeaanuut
08-29-2007, 02:47 PM
I collect sports memorabilia for myself so the value issue doesnt come up because I dont plan to sell any of it. I have tons of balls, bats and even a game worn jersey from last year. I also have tons of autographed photos that I took. I just like collecting sports memorabilia, whether its from famous people or not.

I made the LB baseball cards last year and attempted to do them this year, but was told specifically not to do them by the league. A real shame because I know the players enjoyed them just as much as the fans did. Maybe in future years the league will have a set for all the teams.

Softball Chick
08-29-2007, 07:19 PM
I was very disappointed that we did not have players cards this season. I have a set from last season and saw the ones they had in Chico over the weekend. Its too bad we were not allowed to have them in LB this year. I would have loved to have had certain players that did not make it onto the wheaties cards. :(

aztlgrl
08-30-2007, 12:10 AM
The Scorpions had a great set of cards come out. Unfortunately it was two games before the end of the season but they are still awesome.

JPotter
08-30-2007, 03:38 AM
Um, I am going to disagree with azt.... there was no Heather card in there. I was disappointed.

YumaHeat
08-30-2007, 04:58 AM
Aztl I'm glad we had to wait to get awesome cards, whoeverwas behind it being late thank you because I'm glad I got the awesome cards and not the ugly face cards, so unfortunately they were awesome!

peeaanuut
08-30-2007, 07:23 PM
I think I have enough photos to create some more cards for this season if anyone wants. Pretty much Like I did last year.

Pietsch Fan
08-30-2007, 09:14 PM
I think I have enough photos to create some more cards for this season if anyone wants. Pretty much Like I did last year.

I'd love, love, love to have any cards from any teams.

Mary

aztlgrl
08-31-2007, 02:34 AM
Um, I am going to disagree with azt.... there was no Heather card in there. I was disappointed.

AWWWWWWWWW JOHN POTTER.... *breaking out into a wicked rendition of I THINK I LOVE YOU* :mrgreen: However now it would be worth nothing lol!

mary e-mail me: aztlgrl@roadrunner.com

Heather

Flyers4Life
10-18-2007, 03:27 AM
Of course. I'm still a kid and i love getting autographs. Thanks to Ed Hart, greatest gm ever, will miss you Ed. I have been able to go down on the field after almost every home game and just chill with the guys.

SDawgs
12-13-2007, 08:54 PM

2005 Autograph'd team ball w/rickey & tk on sweet spot

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/6466/hofbaseball2yb0.jpg

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/521/hofbaseballek4.jpg

fisherholic
12-15-2007, 01:32 PM
roumer has it that the LB boosters will have "Team" sets of cards this year