PDA

View Full Version : Slowly but Surely...

PHXfan
08-27-2007, 01:27 PM
... here comes the PBL, with another announcement next week of two more teams, do we have any ideas on which two teams will be announced?

My guess...
1.) Tuscon
2.) Possibly Hollywood Fame (under new coaching)
3.) Maybe one of the Texas ABA teams... Houston???

Minor League Man
08-27-2007, 01:32 PM
The way the PBL is so far, I would arrange it as:

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Maryland Nighthawks
Reading Railers
Rochester Razorsharks
Wilmington Sea Dawgs
Team TBA

WESTERN CONFERENCE
Dallas
Minnesota Ripknees
Quad City Riverhawks
Rock River Fury
Team TBA

LittleRocker1977
08-27-2007, 02:19 PM
.....I hear Little Rock, Arkansas is getting a PBL team....anybody else heard this. I think they can make this work.

OneBetter
08-27-2007, 02:25 PM
What happened to the Conneticut expansion team announced earlier?

In terms of Arkansas, do you think that the former owner of the ABA/D-League team would be involved?

Fells
08-27-2007, 02:53 PM
Quad Cities and Rock River, former ABA teams were announced today.

tbayz1
08-27-2007, 03:32 PM
... here comes the PBL, with another announcement next week of two more teams, do we have any ideas on which two teams will be announced?

My guess...
1.) Tuscon
2.) Possibly Hollywood Fame (under new coaching)
3.) Maybe one of the Texas ABA teams... Houston???

deff not Houston, Larry is pro-ABA and the Hollywood Fame almost folded, no one cared about them in Hollywood LOL

and as for the newly added teams, QC and Rockford, Yes they are the better ABA teams, but are the PBL material? could they survive? QC had crowds of less than 100, also owning too teams now in a higher caliber league means more costs, where is this money coming from???

Dont get me wrong, Im glad for McGinn for going to a better league, but are his teams strong enough?

Dallas team, does anyone in Dallas know of this team? They dont even have a name. But they do have an owner with an impressive backround that sounds like he can prolly make this work!!

Minnesota, another one of the better ABA teams, but another team that didnt have the greatest attendence from what I heard, are they PBL material? they better have some deep pockets! Luckily travel wont be that bad with QC and R-ford.

Reading, what do we know about this team, they havent even played a game, hope they got some cash and do things right!!

Marlyland/Rochester/Wilmington IMO are the stable teams, they have good owners and good fan bases and seem to be the strongest ones IMO

I think the PBL has the brains and plans to be sucessful, but do some of their teams?? Are the expansion teams ready, do their cities know they exist?? I WANT this league to do well, and they have the right people behind it, but some teams leave a "? mark" in my head. I hope those teams can be sucessful, if not, the league wont look so hot when you have two or three good teams and the rest struggling.

Like ive said all along with this league, "I guess we'll just have to wait and see." Id like to see them give a good name to minor league basketball and prove that they are top notch, but "we'll just have to wait and see."

bdaly
08-28-2007, 12:05 AM
It's a chicken and egg thing with some of these teams. Even with great management, many teams simply won't draw well in the ABA. The simple reason is the media will not take them seriously--for obvious reasons. By moving to a league that's stable, it'll be a lot easier to get a real following. Quad Cities, for example, is moving to a significant facility, so they're stepping things up. All of the groups that they've picked up seem solid. But, simply put, there's a real ceiling to your success when your league has as many issues as the ABA does.

I think if Rochester stuck around in the ABA any longer, coverage would have decreased. Much of the coverage throughout last year centered around the league's many issues--not the action on the court. And, Rochester was lucky/rich enough to avoid cancellations by paying teams' way there. Even one home cancellation results in a huge credibility loss. In the case of McGinn, if I recall correctly, he was brought in mid-season to salvage things. So it would have been unrealistic to expect huge crowds given the situation.

sportsguy12
08-29-2007, 02:10 PM
The way the PBL is so far, I would arrange it as:

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Maryland Nighthawks
Reading Railers
Rochester Razorsharks
Wilmington Sea Dawgs
Team TBA

WESTERN CONFERENCE
Dallas
Minnesota Ripknees
Quad City Riverhawks
Rock River Fury
Team TBA

I like how the RR Fury stole the logo of the old Tennessee Fury of the NWBL.

http://www.maryvillecollege.edu/news/news.asp?id=77&pgID=83

one way
08-29-2007, 02:23 PM
He is already allegidly being sued by the atlanta hawks of the nba for logo theft. aba and law suits go togther hand in hand. Also, upon further research, the one team plays at a Division three college which means no beer sales or sponsor.

dbaproball
08-29-2007, 02:36 PM
He is already allegidly being sued by the atlanta hawks of the nba for logo theft. aba and law suits go togther hand in hand. Also, upon further research, the one team plays at a Division three college which means no beer sales or sponsor.
Who is "he" that is getting sued? For the "fire" logo referenced? That logo is used by at least 5 or 6 college, pro, or semi pro teams.......it comes from a logo kit I believe. Basically, you can buy non exclusive rights to these logos for $50 to $100 and can buy exclusive rights for on the order of $1000 in many cases. Either way, Rock River needs to change their logo.

one way
08-29-2007, 02:56 PM
he is the owner of the rock river francise. The logo is last years logo which was taken from the Atlanta Hawks. There is a new logo this year because of the law suit.

dbaproball
08-29-2007, 03:00 PM
i have no reason to doubt....but i'll pull a ronald reagan and say "trust, but verify" - so you are saying McGinn is being sued by the Hawks? Or, are you talking about former owners? And to verify, it is not the "fire logo" that is in question? Thanks

bdaly
08-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Also, upon further research, the one team plays at a Division three college which means no beer sales or sponsor.
A DIII arena doesn't mean there can't be sponsors. The Buffalo Silverbacks had sponsorship banners hanging at Buffalo State. They may not be able to be permanent, but it can be done. I've seen numerous DIII hockey arenas with hefty sponsor signage. Unless you just mean alcohol sponsors. That's not a game stopper though.

tbayz1
08-29-2007, 03:53 PM
A DIII arena doesn't mean there can't be sponsors. The Buffalo Silverbacks had sponsorship banners hanging at Buffalo State. They may not be able to be permanent, but it can be done. I've seen numerous DIII hockey arenas with hefty sponsor signage. Unless you just mean alcohol sponsors. That's not a game stopper though.

^ He is correct, we had banners all throughout the 4000 seat arena, unfortunately with about 500 to view them :(