PDA

View Full Version : LB out at end of playoffs

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Rumor has it ( 2 sources, 1 from the city of LB ) that the Armada/GBL have been asked to pay up or get out by September 1st. They owe rent, concessions and $90,000 in renovations. I was also told that they owe visiting team hotel bill and have been uninvited to stay at the Comfort. Someone warn Chico to bring their wallets.
San Diego all over agai:mad: :mad: :oops: :oops: n.

Negative or not, this is starting to add up.

Pietsch Fan
08-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Rumor has it ( 2 sources, 1 from the city of LB ) that the Armada/GBL have been asked to pay up or get out by September 1st. They owe rent, concessions and $90,000 in renovations. I was also told that they owe visiting team hotel bill and have been uninvited to stay at the Comfort. Someone warn Chico to bring their wallets.

Maybe that's why the GBL hired Bash, to use him as a scrapegoat when (if) Long Beach folds. I really hope it doesn't happen. I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again, Blair Field is one of my favorite places to watch baseball.

It's going to be an interesting Fall.

Mary

DawgsBooster2
08-23-2007, 10:20 AM
I hope like heck that LB sticks around.

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-24-2007, 01:50 AM

New info just in that Blair's new food guy wants out of his deal with GBL.
Tell Chico to also pack a lunch. Anyone know where Chico's staying??

gblbaseballfan
08-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Hello Mr. Commish are you there? Ok so how close are you to selling the team to Bash? Can you convince him to give you an advance? Wait a minute this might be someone trying to start a horrible horrible rumor. Can you comment? Strickly of the record of course. Well i was going to buy the Playoff Package for all 3 games they say the money for games not played will be refunded or can be put towards next years season tickets but i better just buy them one game at a time i know a couple Ice Dogs season ticket holders still waiting.

sandiegopaul
08-24-2007, 12:12 PM
:confused: With all the recent postings on the board, it's more than apparent that those of us who are (and have beem) the strongest and most ardent GBL supporters are reaching a point of frustration. The question we are all asking is simple: What is the future of the GBL???? The silence from GBL headquarters is deafening. Kevin has previously provided interesting and insightful responses to our concerns and inquiries. But even his voice has now become silent. I am confident that the league co-owners are very much aware of our collective concerns via this board, but not once has either of them posted anything. Have they become too busy for those of us who really care? The name "Golden" is rapidly taking on a new meaning for me. It has connotations of the early 1800's gold rush on California; a lot of shiny rocks in the soil that keep us busy chasing all over to grab on to. But remember, shiny things can't always be trusted. Come on Amit and David; SPEAK TO US! Your silence is speaking volumes about where this league is going.
Paul

Pietsch Fan
08-24-2007, 12:55 PM
:confused: :::snip::: Come on Amit and David; SPEAK TO US! Your silence is speaking volumes about where this league is going.
Paul

Amit and Dave Kaval are the last two people you want to hear from. They wouldn't tell us the truth about anything even if it meant an hour long special on ESPN.

My thoughts:

Neither Kevin nor anyone else in the GBL is going to comment on whether or not they are trying to sell Bash the Armada until it's a done deal. It makes zero business sense to do so.

The GBL is famous for not paying bills. Disappointing, but true.

History has shown us that when the GBL folds a club they wait to confirm until far past the very last minute. I wouldn't hold my breath on knowing anything any time soon.

Independent baseball is an awesome venture. It's fun for fans and hope for players, but I've spent the last three years learning about the GBL, the NL, the AA, the Frontier League, etc. They are all the same. They are businesses first and foremost. No money, no team. No profit, no league. Many people have tried to be successful and many have failed. While that is frustrating for us fans, imagine how frustrating it is for the people who invested real money in the league? Sure, we have good ideas on what improvements can be made, but we don't have all the answers and in the end we don't run the league. Lots of people think they can start and run an independent baseball league. They can't. Maybe the GBL can't either. :(

I'm sad.

Mary

RW22
08-24-2007, 06:33 PM
but I think the quietness of the GBL is one of non concern. There are 10,000 logistical issues that go on in putting the playoffs on. Now that we know who is in and who is not---it makes their job a touch easier...at least we know that LB will have large cups shipped from somewhere for there game(S)...inventory problems and the like happen in every league. Independants are even tougher to deal with, would you rather them run out of balls (has happened) or cups? They do the best the can to project usage; what it tells me is that the concession sales were far better than anticpated for LB.
I am quite certain that Kevin and Co. have a touch more to do to make sure that their showcase goes on as plannned. I am not excusing anything, but I think there thoughts are elsewhere right now.
Anyones predictions??? Mine is LB in 4!! They are playing some pretty good ball now, and Chico just hasnt been able to reload.

RW

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-24-2007, 07:39 PM
This is not about cups or balls. There are 1,2 or 3 games left at Blair. Will there be more? We know the playoffs are here but I don't think there is too much the GBL brain trust can add at this point. Selling tickets is in house and the big question is where o where is Chico going to stay?
The private 3rd party vendor who does concessions just wants to know who's going to be at the stadium or how many at the game so he may shop accordingly. 2 games, back to the supermarket.
:roll:

GBLCommish
08-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Sorry for the delay in responding -- RW22 is correct that it is a pretty busy time right now and there also hasn't been much on this board regarding baseball-related questions.

Behind Home Plate in Long Beach -- whomever is feeding you the constant rumours you share here isn't doing you any favors. Of the ones that have been posted or there are questions on let me clarify -- Steve Bash is not buying the Armada and there has never been such a deal in the works, the Armada are doing fine and have had their best financial year ever, Chico will stay at the same visiting team hotel during the playoffs -- which was fully paid up front this year as was the entire rent to City of Long Beach, we have a great relationship with the new concession company and they have provided tremendous business value -- and have been fully paid (in fact, they pay us as they handle the money) and have started to work with us in some of our other markets, attendance (ticket revenue/game which is what the real measurement is) is up nicely in Long Beach, and no we didn't consipre on how to play ALL playoff games in Chico or to keep Long Beach out of the playoffs as were two other predictions/rumours. I think that covers most of the rumours. It seems you may be being used by someone who is deliberately trying to cause business damage for whatever reason. You are always welcome to call me if you have a real issue that you need assistance in resolving, or just want to provide some input of what you'd like to see improved.

Now, was there internal strife in the Long Beach front office this season and did it affect some of the fans that are part of the team and contribute a lot to the Armada (like Peeanut and LB Parents, and others that are close to the staff) -- you bet, it was even a a bit of a soap opera at times without a doubt. We are working on continuing to improve in Long Beach and elsewhere.

As I've responded before, I'll tell you what I can on issues -- you can also private message, email, or phone me as many of you do on a regular basis.

Paul -- as for the state of the GBL, we are doing fine, are profitable as a company this year which is one year ahead of goal, and are in the midst of our first independently audited financials - which is rare for a 4 year old private company. We do intend to add two teams for 2008 and hope to have annoucements on both locations in the fall. As for San Diego -- we will be bringing the Surf Dawgs back in the Arizona Winter League this year in Yuma and are in discussions with two collegiate institutions regarding stadium construction - but are tied to their existing schedules which makes 2008 a longshot.

Mary is right -- the business does have to come first in Independent baseball or leagues fail. The New York State League this year didn't even make it through the first payroll, for example.

I was in Long Beach last week and talked to a number of the fans during, and even well after the game for some who hung around. I'll be back at the playoffs next week - just stop by if there's anything anybody would like to discuss.

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
Golden Baseball League
925-226-2896
commish@goldenbaseball.com

peeaanuut
08-24-2007, 11:23 PM
its 2 a's and 2 u's

Thanks!

peeaanuut
08-24-2007, 11:27 PM
and I dont find it very kind to out someones full name on the internet when you are not an employee or agent of this website. I never put my last name out there, those that wanted it knew what it was and where to get it.

As proper net etiquette would allow, you do not put out or post someones personal contact information unless already publicly posted on that particular site by the individual. You put your first and last name on this site for all the world to see, I do not. I would appreciate it if you would refrain from doing so in the future.

I am not trying to hind in anyways, I have been using the peeaanuut name on the internet and before the internet for over 22 years. If someone wanted to find out my info they can, but I would prefer that people do not simply post it.

LB Parents
08-24-2007, 11:54 PM
I agree with Peaanuut! I am shocked to see names that have never been posted!!!

By the way, Janie has never written as LB Parents. So make sure you have namescorrect if you are going to post them (which you shouldn't).

GBLCommish
08-25-2007, 01:06 AM
Peaanuut and LB Parents -- sorry about that, it was meant as complimentary comments. I'll be glad to edit and remove your names.

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt

ChicoManiac
08-25-2007, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the message commish and the response....I don't know what's going on down there in Long Beach, but the Outlaws are great for Chico and so is the GBL....now if we can just beat the Armada next week.....I think that people that make personal attacks or start negative rumers shouldn't remain anonymous if they want credibility...and there has been a lot of nasty stuff coming out of Long Beach posters everyday it seems that it is hard to figure why it is on a baseball board...

Go OUtlaws!

ChicoManiac -- also known as Jim Arnsen

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-25-2007, 10:30 AM
I'm Behind home plate in LB and my name is ???? ??????
My source's for these facts/rumors are pretty solid folks.
1) I hope the Armada stay.
2) I hope the soap opera ends
3) I hope the deck appears in September
4) I hope the fall and winter GM is Jay Klein.
5) I hope the spring and summer GM is Jay Klein.
6) I hope they can do without my season ticket money because I ain't buying until June 2008.
Go Armada in 5

Silver Sox Fan
08-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the message commish and the response....I don't know what's going on down there in Long Beach, but the Outlaws are great for Chico and so is the GBL....now if we can just beat the Armada next week.....I think that people that make personal attacks or start negative rumers shouldn't remain anonymous if they want credibility...and there has been a lot of nasty stuff coming out of Long Beach posters everyday it seems that it is hard to figure why it is on a baseball board...

Go Outlaws!

ChicoManiac -- also known as Jim Arnsen

Not to throw gasoline on the fire but I agree 100% with ChicoManiac. I appreciate the info the commish brought to the table which is excellent...especially the independent audit that they are going to take part in. Kevin has always told us more than we have a right to expect from management of a league and I for one appreciate it.

In typical fashion, I expect some flaming from at least one poster who basically say we kiss the league's a** anytime we compliment them but I think the league is doing a good job.

Yes, I think there are issues with the quality of some umpire crews but there are also solid guys too (Ron Barnes, for example.) I think that some of stadium deals unfairly favor the colleges over the GBL. But, I think the GBL is, through experience, working to fix those (hopefully we will see a change in the $8 beers Sodexho offers us in Reno). And I think money is tight and that has lead to decisions that we may not agree with...but as Mary and the Commish said, when you lose sight of the business end, you may not have a business at all.

I won't comment on management issues in LB (or anywhere else for that matter) since I am not there. But realize that everywhere has problems. If it really is as bad as people say, then don't buy tickets. Again, it is a business and if you feel the management of said business is not listening to the concerns of the customers, then take your business elsewhere. I know the GBL listens. But guess what, listening doesn't mean they have to respond to your every demand. They are the ones who have everything (finaincially) to lose. If our teams go away, we move on to something else--no harm, no foul. A little sad, but we will find the next thing to occupy our free time.

It is like anything in life. I love my car but I wish it had X, Y, or Z features. So are X, Y, and Z enough to make me not buy the car? If so, then I make peace with that, and I move on. If X, Y, and Z aren't, then I stick with the car. Your team is no different. Believe, me...as a Diamondbacks and Orioles fan, as a parent, and as a member of the military I can tell you nothing is perfect, I always wish certain things were different or that if one thing would change, life would be perfect.

But life isn't perfect and it never will be. If you guys have called the league and you feel the team is not going to go in the right direction anytime soon, then take your entertainment dollars elsewhere. If you haven't called your team or Kevin, then shame on you.

You can say your decision is all about the boys but they'll find another team. And so will you. In the end, the GBL has to make the decisions that it believes will make this league a viable entity for years to come. But if you can take the 90% solution the GBL offers then don't let the 10% kill the reason you are coming to the park in the first place--to have fun, to enjoy the greatest game ever created, and to, if even for a couple of minutes, forget all the problems you have and truly realize that the saying from many years ago still rings true--there is nothing wrong with America that baseball can't fix.

I am sorry the baseball experience in Long Beach is poor. I am really sorry for what happened in San Diego and the way Mary and crew told us they were treated. And I am sorry that this board has really become a negative environment where personal attacks and rumors (not Kevin's Canadian spelling of "rumours":) ) have become all to common.

But I have faith, and maybe that is all it is, that Kevin and the GBL owners will deliver on what he said. The league will continue to grow, problems will get progressively better, and the GBL will make choices (some that we will disagree with) that will allow the league to continue to bring baseball to our communities. The league is only three years old and they are learning as they go. Should the learning process happen more quickly? Maybe. But even the other independent teams and leagues have problems.

I am not saying you shouldn't discuss legitimate issues here since that would be completely hypocritical on my part. But when it becomes as vitriolic as some posts here have, is anything really going to be accomplished? If Long Beach is having their best financial year ever, as Kevin said, why would they make wholesale changes to the operation? Not saying the LB situation is good or bad, but from a business standpoint, it seems good and no amount of wishing people were fired or weren't fired or calling people liars, a** kissers, etc., or even bringing us negative information from "inside sources" is going to make any constructive difference in my opinion.

In the little interaction I have had with league and team officials, they are aware of their shortcomings. They are not stupid and are working to continually improve the product. Websites, concessions, promotions, etc. And even if that doesn't make things any better immediately I'll take that any day over the organizations that epitomize "nero fiddling while rome burned".

So let's get back to baseball. Not sure if I should break out my "Beat Chico" rally towel or side with our rival and make it a north-south rivalry. Any suggestions?

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Well said, Nancy, You get a star.

Baseball Dad
08-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Couldn't have said it better Keith. Let's talk playoff baseball. Go Armada!!!

DawgsBooster2
08-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Well said, Nancy, You get a star.

You can be a very mean person.

This was a mean post for no reason at all. If you don't agree then add something to the conversation, don't just slam someone by calling them names.

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Should I take back the Nancy or the star?
Kissing up to the GBL at every posting deserves a little"mean"
No one got hurt and the only person who has a gripe is anyone named Nancy.
I stand by my post

DawgsBooster2
08-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Should I take back the Nancy or the star?
Kissing up to the GBL at every posting deserves a little"mean"
No one got hurt and the only person who has a gripe is anyone named Nancy.
I stand by my post

You need not take back any portion of your post. I never asked you to, though I appreciate the offer.

No one "deserves" a little mean, save those who actually are.

To slander someone like that and bring into question their sexual orientation is out of line. Period.

The target of that post might not have taken offense, but that matters not. That person isn't the only person to read your posts.

Enjoy standing next to your own ignorance.

LB Parents
08-26-2007, 02:12 AM
Alot of what was said sounds so good. And, maybe LB is doing great financially, but most of the increase in sales of season tickets from 40 to 400was before Bash and heavily promoted by a loyal fan base. Bash has hurt enough of the loyal fan base that many won't be returning. The GBL has been told by many of us. They plan on sticking with their man Bash (they do have a right to), and many fans are not going to be back next year. You really have to be a LB loyal to understand the situation here. Without going into details, it really is that bad!!!!!!

By the way GBL, you should see how many people enter the exit gate an hour or two before the main gate opens to avoid paying for a ticket in LB. Some think they a season ticket holders. I believe one goes early and does BP with the team (one way to avoid paying).

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Walk in the shoes of us in LB before casting stones.
Nobody was slandered, "Nancy" is a sign of affection.
The last post say's it all better than my "mean" post.
Go Armada in the playoffs.
Period and end of my *****ing and money going into Blair.
See you in Leftfield, OUTSIDE Blair on Friday to cheer on OUR team.:lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

Pietsch Fan
08-26-2007, 10:59 AM
See you in Leftfield, OUTSIDE Blair on Friday to cheer on OUR team.:lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

nancy Noun. 1. An effeminate male. Derog.
2. A homosexual. Derog.
Adj. Effeminate, weak.

Nice try. You might as well had used the f word. Just admit that you were out of place to name call and be done with it. We all understand LB people being pissed. Many of us *have* walked in your shoes. May I introduce you to Mesa, Surprise and San Diego fans? That doesn't give us the right to call fellow posters derogatory names. Aim your hurt feelings at those who deserve it.

Mary

DawgsBooster2
08-26-2007, 11:17 AM

Walk you LB's shoes. Hum. Lemme see. Yah, been there, done that. ::waves from down in San Diego::

The last post does say it better, it was thought out and had substance, good on you.

I don't have a team I want to win more than the other, but since we'll be watching the game in LB then we'll lean that-a-way.

I look forward to meeting you outside on the left field berm and hope that the person you are online doesn't resemble the person you are in real life (much is hard to put forth with the written word).

Silver Sox Fan
08-26-2007, 03:11 PM
I wasn't going to respond as this is getting off topic but the bottom line of what I posted and what I think ChicoManiac was saying (though I don't presume to speak for him) is this:

The GBL has stated they are not going to replace Steve Bash. So, as Peaanuut posted a couple of weeks ago, that puts the decision on the LB fan...attend the games or don't...or find a third alternative which many have and I applaud. No amount of rumors from supposed inside sources given by someone who launches cheap shot attacks from the shadows of a screen name will change the situation. The GBL heard the issues and decided to remain with the status quo. That is their perogative just as yours is not to support the team or to only support them in the way you are doing.

I am far from kissing a** to the GBL; a simple seach of my previous posts on issues with our team will demonstrate that. We discussed issues (key word issues not BS rumors or whatever), Kevin and the Silver Sox responded, and the game day experience was made better. Some things we wanted were changed, some weren't. But my goal never changed...to make the Sox better for us the fans. Is that still the goal of certain posters on this board or is their new goal to flame anyone who disagrees, trash talk the league ad infinitum, and not rest until everyone hates the GBL as much as you?

Kevin refuted many of the points. Does that make him a liar too? BTW, everyone on this board would agree he is the one "good guy" with this league. So what is accomplished by calling the league officials criminals, saying Kevin is being dishonest, management is incompetent, etc, etc, etc? What is accomplished by apparently making up stories on how the league or LB will fold? Again, it would seem some people on this board have lost perspective on the fact that baseball should be enjoyable. If it isn't, move on. Some of us are enjoying the league despite the warts, have said our piece on what we do and don't like, and have accepted what the GBL has given us. When we can no longer accept it, we will move on as well.

I also said I am sorry for what is happening in LB in my first post. I have received e-mails from a some LB fans through my blog that say they don't like what they see with management...no personal attacks, no bogus rumors, just their perspective. I appreciate that and it resonates much more than simply being a hater. All GBL fans, especially those on this board are passionate about their team and that is one reason I like this league despite its shortcomings.

As far as personal attacks, I am disappointed that anyone who doesn't hate the GBL, say management is F'd up, and that the league officials are criminals gets attacked on a personal basis. If that is the new norm for the board, the community as a whole will suffer for it.

In typical fashion, I expect another similar personal attack but that is to be expected since I continued this thread. But as far as being called "Nancy", I'll take that as a compliment. Satchel Paige called Buck O'Neill "Nancy" for his whole career so if I could be compared to Buck O'Neill, I'll take that any day.

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Yes the term nancy was mean but not meant as the f** word. I apoligize if it was taken as the f** word. Now, I'm done with name calling for now, so again lighten up, PLEASE and Thank You

LB Parents
08-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Most of us loyal fan base in LB LOVE our team... LOVE our players... and have great game experiences. Those of you who visit our park have experienced it. We love that you enjoy the experience with us. I am one of the loudest hecklers (not the loudest)!

Some of the loyal fan base work with the management to help the game experience and raise funds to support the team on the road and their club house. Bash has made that experience a very uncomfortable experience, and an experience to chase us away, including the threat of law suits. Yes, my family will still attend a few (very few) games next year, but we will no longer be involved with the team or front office unless changes are made.

I believe that their will be a forth and fifth season, I believe the the Armada will continue in LB, but if they do continue, it will probably survive on a new fan base. It does sadden me!:(

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Well said LB Parents.
HELLO GBL. I KNOW WHO THE LB PARENTS ARE AND SO DO YOU. IF YOU LOSE THEM, YOU ARE LOSING YOUR BEST.

EARTH TO KEVIN, DAVID AND AMMITT? DEAF DUMB AND BLIND IS NO WAY TO GO THROUGH LIFE.:mad: :confused: :oops: :roll:

RW22
08-27-2007, 01:35 PM
When did this turn into a "name calling" board? Deaf and Dumb??? Get real, lets see-the season just ended, the playoffs are being planned and you are still worried about Steve Bash and Co? Let me break it down for you just a bit before all of the carts that we have are before the horses. First off, I do not personally know how the GBL "post, post-season" works, but in many other organized leagues it goes something like this. Most teams who do not make the playoffs are conducting inventories and assessments. This includes exit interviews with players, coaches and employees. Those assments are reviewed individually and as a whole. The front offices are pared down to a very finite number of employees, so yes...abc ticket clerk is now looking for work, or back in school. Management then writes a report for the league office, letting them know their particular situation for the year. That report is then sent to the league for their review. The league then does THEIR own assessment of the situation for EACH club and the league as a whole. (Knowing that their is an independant audit happening is a great sign!) It is after ALL of the data is analyzed and ALL key components are looked at. That the league management will make any decisions on direction for both the league and its individual teams. THAT SAID.
I am not a big Steve baash fan, however I am willing to let the GBL look at his performance (they know what you all think) and then let them take all of the events as a whole before making any arguements. If the Commish says the numbers are up-I will believe him; that does NOT mean that Steve had anything to do with it. We have no idea how the sales numbers broke down, do we? It is like any one of us in class--did we do all we could, or just enough to scrape by; or quite possibly not enough at all. I have some numbers, but not enough to make a judgement on the man.
I do not work for the GBL, and I am certainly not a suck up to anyone (except to the wife when I piss her off)-give the GBL a break...the playoffs are here; this should be the shining moment of any league. This is not meant as mean...but to overly simplify it---try calling a Wal Mart Customer Service employee the day after Christmas--I bet you get the same response!!!
Well, I am changing my prediction--Long Beach in 4!! Good luck to all and lets hope for some really good games!
RW

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-27-2007, 04:06 PM
I said deaf, dumb and blind was no way to go through life. I never said the GBl or even RW22 were afflicted. Season Ticket holders are the teams investors. Treating us with contempt is downright foolish, Don't you think Mr. RW22? Many, many of us are taking our $$$$$ with us. That's not dumb. We have heard the silence from the GBL, we're not deaf. We've seen what has happened at Blair; we're not blind. Maybe we're a little too trusting. It's taken us 3 years to wake up.:roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

S.Sox
08-27-2007, 04:14 PM
BHPLB,

I understand what you trying to get accross,but have you ever took the Commish's invite to contact him directly via telephone/email with problems/questions about the GBL or teams.??

Just wondering, it might help fix the confusion...

S.Sox

LB Parents
08-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Yes, COMMUNICATION has been used with the GBL from the LB loyal fans. The term "He's Our Guy" is what came out of the conversaitions with a "GO ARAMADA" to finish it when our 50/50 mom spoke to Dave (in case people were wondering where those quotes came from. Our 50/50 mom has recieved that twice in person! Ask Peaanuut how his communications have gone!!

RW, I appreciate your last post and agree with you. You think like I do with optimisim. If you notice, I avoid complaining as much as posible, but try to explain with brief factual occurrences why we feel the way we do.

I believe that the GBL will evaluate the season and make good decisions. The LB fans are just letting them know that some money could be leaving next year.

Again, I appreciate your post, but I am one of those many hurt loyal fans.

Silver Sox Fan
08-27-2007, 06:16 PM
LB Parents--best post of this entire thread.

peeaanuut
08-27-2007, 07:20 PM
I have simply decided to give it up. You can only fight for so long and honestly, I just dont find it worth my time or health to fight it anymore. I know that Kaval and Patel do not like being challenged and if you do so they become brick walls. They will make decisions simply to spite others in the interest of financial gain only. That is their right as the business owners, I just wished they would have gone into a different business instead of ruining a great game for lots of fans.

So I wash my hands of the GBL. I hope it improves for everyone else's sake but at this point, I simply no longer care.

RW22
08-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Like I said--I am not a suck up, and I have seen it all during the first three years. Although I understand the frustration from LB...and I am one of them---I have had enough conversations with Dave and Kevin to be satisfied that they have seen errors and made changes. Do those changes show up at the ballpark everynight? How foolish to think so.
No offense taken by any comments at all. The Deaf and Dumb statement just tells me that you have not taken the time to call; they may not answear their phone, but they do call back when they can.
My question for LB fans....protesting in LF or not; are you here to support your boys or not? I really understand the Vick protest, it was appropriate--but if you are truely into making sure these guys have a place to play next year, why punish them by witholdiong dollars that should come back to help them? It is truely like sying "save the wombats" and not going to the zoo!!! Explain how that helps??
You guys have beaten Steve to death, we get it...and because the GBl is ready to showcase itself and everyone is in scramble mode to make sure all goes as good as possible---and you dont get an immediate reply....come on---email the men directly and ask them a specific question. Dont b****, dont complain. Offer a true solution, a true comment.
Heres one for all....if you hate Steve Bash so much---who is it (and you must answear BOTH parts) that you would like to see in (A) the GM position and the (B) the Asst GM position? Lets get a consensus and see what the higher ups have to say. You all want Steve out, but what do you all have to offer as a replacement? Could it get worse?? Absolutely!!!! Be brave, answear the question that "joe fan" has just asked. Otherwise, let the GBL make their assessments, and enjoy the playoffs!!!!
Just ticks me off that all you can do is complain, and have no solutions. I am fairly confident THEY GET YOUR OPINION!!! Move on to a solution!!!!
GRRRRRRRR...
RW

peeaanuut
08-27-2007, 08:11 PM
gm: Jay Klein would make a great GM. He has the go ahead attitude, he actually listens to his staff and general public on ways to improve the team. He actually has an interest in the players and the team. We already know he is willing to put in the time as he has worked countless overtime/weekend/holiday hours. He has a positive attitude and knows the role he has to fill. He accepts blame when things go wrong and he doesnt shower himself with praise when things go right. Definately a team player. I have told Patel and Kaval this on many occasions but they simply look past Jay and what he has done for the team and the fans. And he doesnt wear ripped jeans and flip flops while chugging a beer. Appearance says alot about your personal attitude. While beauty is only skin deep, first impressions last a lifetime and your dress and demeanor say alot for how someone will deal with you in the future. That was an issue that I brought up to the league and to the former LB GM, Jared (unfortunately his last name escapes me at this time). The issue was raised, I spoke to Daval and Patel as well as Jared regarding it and it was resolved and addressed. Why this year is any different is beyond me.

AGM: Cole Cicatelli. Surprised? Im not. He has expressed interest in that type of roll to be on more than one occasion over the past 2 years. Once again he has a strong team attitude and is willing to take the good with the bad. He cares about the players and the success of the team whether he is playing or not. He always has a great attitude whenever I talk to him and has the drive and determination to take the team to the next level.

Past GMs have been great at times and have not been great. I never got to really know Dave W, but I will say the one thing he did that was great was start the Community advisory board. I dont think he was the first in the league to do so, but it sure was the first one in LB. He actually was willing to get our input and concider it. Whether he actually acted upon it or not, I am not sure.

RW22
08-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Nut! Now, that is a solution--and not a gripe. dave W. is a good guy, just a wrong fit--who hasnt had that job??
Thats a start, how about just plain and simple suggestions? If my kid asks "are we there yet?" enough---I eventually tune it out....as I am sure you do as well

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-28-2007, 09:23 AM
My family's vote also goes to Jay Klein but I'm afraid he's not coming back. He's selling for Chico and not his own team is sort of a hint. I wasn't a big fan of the past GM's but I met Dave W. over the winter and between Jay and him, they seemed to have respect for the fans. The advisory committee was a great sounding board and they did take our ideas to heart. Shipping Dave out and bringing Steve in was a terrible move.
RW22? We're going to be cheering very loadly OUTSIDE the leftfield wall for OUR players. The GBL can use the money we have given them during the season to buy balloons. We'll buy our own balloons and snacks and crackerjacks. What exactly is the "FIT" that Dave W, Jay, Ashley and Phil didn't "fit" Oh Yeah, they liked and respected the season ticket holders.
Negative. Bingo. Frustrated. Double Bingo.
See you OUTSIDE.:mad: :mad: :roll: :roll:

flyersgm
08-28-2007, 12:12 PM
I would not interpret Jay's being in Chico to sell play-off tickets as anything other than simply that. OC (Fullerton) made the play-offs last season, and he spent a week here assisting us with selling tickets.

He is very good at that, and I am sure he is making a positive difference up there. I am certain he is selling LB play-off tickets, as well, from up there.

I am torn on my allegiances in the play-offs - being an OC guy, it is hard for me to root for LB. I love Darrell, Danny, and Jon, and have become very close to the three of them over the past three seasons. I have known Darrell for several years, and he is a close friend. But they are LONG BEACH! :)

On the flip side, there is not anyone in baseball that I respect and admire more than Bob Linscheid up in Chico. He has been my mentor in this league, and is a very good friend. I also adore Becca, and have become close to her, as well. Rory Miller is the class of this league, and, a great man. I also like Mark Parent a lot, as well.

I guess when it comes down to it, I am probably rooting for Chico based on my friendships with their front office, but will be happy either way for people that I admire.

Hope to see you all in LB this weekend!

Ed

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-28-2007, 01:13 PM
ED:
Please root for Chico. They need your help. Jay is the asst Gm selling tickets for Chico vs. his own team, in Chico. Business as usual.

RW22
08-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Ok Ed first---I really thought I was gonna have to shove you off the fence there!! You waffled more than IHOP.:p :) :)

Now BHP---What is it about "GBL control" do you not get. Jay is a great seller of both advertising and tickets. Now, the GBL put him in Chico to sell tickets to a BIGGER market. Therefore, the GBL has the opportunity to make more money with him there than at Blair. I dont care who they send up-if the bottom line is that he can sell more tickets up there than in LB---who cares??? Besides, if you plan on sitting in LF on friday---you have no gripe whatsoever.
The thing is LONG term here, 2 of the 4 teams the GBL owns are in the playoffs. Support the GBL or go home and play checkers! You say you want them back, but are not willing to support the league that puts them here. Yes, you support the guys, I get that-but who PAYS them?? It is utterly stupid that you have an issue with one person and yet are willing to risk losing your team over it. Ever think (AND THIS IS NOT A STATEMENT OF FACT AT ALL----PURE ME AN ME ALONE)...that maybe that the GBL has an attendance figure in mind---and if doesnt get met, its a reason to pull stakes?? Who knows what goes on behind closed doors; but sitting outside the stadium hurts the GBL--Not Steve. Sorry to say, the GBL is well aware of your thoughts, and I am sure they will be taken into consideration--but sorry to break it to you all--Steve will collect his check-with you in the stadium or no....

Support the GBL, the players and get over Steve already!

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-28-2007, 03:50 PM
We did spend our money on season tickets in 2005, 2006 and 2007.
What have we received for our loyalty?
Jay Klein should be making money in Long Beach for Long Beach. But you're right. I don't care anymore. My ticket money is staying in my pocket.
This is way over Steve Bash now. That's history.
So RW22, here is my answer. I'll cheer where I want. I'll cheer for the Armada.
Then I'll wait for all the GBL dancing to start. "Long Beach doesn't support their team, buy tickets or we'll leave. We are going to build a new deck in 2008, we promise".
If you want to continue to buy into the LIES, feel free. There is a lot of us who DON"T.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :

LB Parents
08-28-2007, 05:06 PM
I hold my emotions and feelings to optimism. The league is in the Championship Series for the weekend. I don't care if Bash is there or not... I'm there for the team, not Bash. After the weekend which will be the off season, the GBL will get their independant audit, make decisions, fire, and hire. It's not the time to worry about the Armada having Blair Field next year. If you are worried, wait to purchase tickets (smart idea anyway after the Ice Dogs issue). I leave it clear, I will not be with the Armada next year if Bash is still GM.

Question: How many GMs has the Armada had?.............................................. .........Answer: 7

Question: How long will Bash be a GM for the Armada?........................................... .......Answer: ?????????

I hold optimism that Bash will not be back next year. Am I frustrated? Yes! I will just wait until Feb. or March on whether I will be back next year. For now, I am just going to enjoy cheering the Armada onto a championship. There are 4 other teams that miss out on that. Go Armada!!!!!!!!!!!!

DawgsBooster2
08-28-2007, 05:40 PM
What have we received for our loyalty?

Um. How about, you know, your tickets.

When you bought your tickets what do you expect to get beyond that?

gblbaseballfan
08-28-2007, 06:26 PM
i will be in attendance this weekend rooting for the Armada if Bash is there cool i will boo him every time he get's near if he is not no biggie. this season is over or just about over i'm over it and many people are also. for those not in long beach and close to the team and staff you will never understand and that's fine you will always see it as crying and so forth whatever. we should not be here arguing amongst each other.

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-28-2007, 07:39 PM
7 GM'S ? I'd fire the person in charge of hiring instead of the staff!
7 GM's ? In 3 years? Wow, that's some hiring record.
Maybe someone should look in the mirror and ask" What am I doing wrong?"

GO Armada in 5

flyersgm
08-29-2007, 01:21 AM
Does anyone really expect me to passionately root for a team that was our opponent for three seasons? Call it waffling, if you choose to, but I was simply making a point that there are solid reasons, for me, to be happy for either team.

Basically, it sucks that the Flyers are not there, but oh well...'tis what it is!

I guess I should have just not said anything at all...man, try to be positive... :-)

Thanks!

Ed

LB Parents
08-29-2007, 02:23 AM
Now BHP---What is it about "GBL control" do you not get. Jay is a great seller of both advertising and tickets. Now, the GBL put him in Chico to sell tickets to a BIGGER market. Therefore, the GBL has the opportunity to make more money with him there than at Blair. I dont care who they send up-if the bottom line is that he can sell more tickets up there than in LB---

I didn't catch this quote of yours before, but you nailed it RW22. Jay is the reason season ticket sales in LB went from 40 in 06 to 400 this season. Jay did most of the job with his staff before Bash ever came on the seen. Jay and his former staff is the reason for all our positive experiences outside of Darrel and his boys this season. Thanks and good job to Jay, Darrel, the coaches, the team, and Jay's former staff. (You can ask Bash why I say former staff)

sportsguy12
08-29-2007, 09:58 AM
I agree with Peaanuut! I am shocked to see names that have never been posted!!!

By the way, Janie has never written as LB Parents. So make sure you have namescorrect if you are going to post them (which you shouldn't).

The commish used first names. Who knows (or even cares) who you are. If you want to hide behind your screen name, go do it on another board. Trust me, no one cares if your name is Paul or Mary or Engelbert Humperdinck. Oh no, I used a name! OMG! Go into the witness protection program or get a life.

This commish at least talks on the boards ... don't ridicule him.

LB Parents
08-29-2007, 10:38 AM
Haven't seen your name today... How about if you include your adress, birthday, and SS#. How about also your credit card #'s with the 3 digit # on the back.

There is a reason for Annomynity. I know you and others don't care, and I appreciate that. But some do. Beyond this, I don't care what you think about annomynity, but some do enough to mention other names whether it was positive or not with or without permission. I haven't yet blasted back at another poster, so hopefully this will be my last. Yeah, I didn't blast back hard, but lets have a little respect for others... some have forgot what respect is! Or, others just don't have the intelligence to respond (especially to a simple post for discussion sake).

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Friday could be it for Long Beach and Blair. All the "bigshots" from the GBL will be in town. Lets show our true feelings and as we cheer for OUR team, show DK, AP and KO what we think about the total disregard of the LB fans.
Most of us will be out in leftfield but those inside, stand in front of the city office on our new deck. From the deck we can see all $90,000 worth of renovations at Blair.
My hope is our city leaders will confront the GBL and ask the $90,000 question. It's easy; "Where is the $90,000 in renovations owed to the taxpayers of Long Beach"? Easy question.
:mad: :confused: :roll: :lol:

Pietsch Fan
08-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Man, I hope LB wins Friday. We can't make it up until Saturday. :(

Mary

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-30-2007, 02:36 PM
They will. Armada in 5