PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations(?) Ed

DawgsBooster2
08-14-2007, 12:11 AM
For those who don't use MySpace and aren't getting Ed's bulletins... he's leaving the Flyers at the end of the season. :(

His MySpace can be found here: http://www.myspace.com/flyersgm

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Ed Hart, Wow, that's all I have to say is Wow.

WiseAndEck
08-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Oh crap. Well, I can only hope Templeton and Turner follow.

Good luck Ed.

brian

Silver Sox Fan
08-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Ed:

I'm not great at navigating myspace so I didn't see exactly why you are leaving but I wish you the best. Though we never met in person, I appreciate your love of the team and of baseball as well your willingness to throw your thoughts into the fray we call the Ourspace Message Board. There are a few here who use this board as a personal b*tch session. It gets annoying and you'll notice a lot of the long time posters have been a lot less active, probably because of that. But you did you best to respond to a lot of the naysayers as well as folks who like you so for that, my friend, you will always have my respect as an upstanding individual.

Pietsch Fan
08-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Ed,

It's not going to be the same without you. Good luck with your future plans and let us know what you'll be up to.

Mary

peeaanuut
08-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Ed,

This is sad to hear. You had been one of the strongholds in the GBL. You have been able to remain a positive person even when people were putting down your team. I hope you are moving onto bigger and better things. I thank you for your time with the team in helping it grow to what it has become. If only other GMs in the league were as dedicated as you, we might be having a fun time every game.

Joe

dominator1212
08-15-2007, 09:18 AM
Ed the booster club would like to take this opportunity to wish you the best in your furthur endevors and hope to see you at Flyer games next year and beyond.

Ex Flyer Fan
08-20-2007, 08:07 PM
I know for a fact that Ed is a GREAT PR guy, but I wonder why he is no longer a GM?

Pietsch Fan
08-20-2007, 10:08 PM
I know for a fact that Ed is a GREAT PR guy, but I wonder why he is no longer a GM?

I know this is going to sound really snarky, but I don't mean it to. It's the side effect of the written word. That being said:

Come on, if Edís resignation was more nefarious than just moving on, you of all people would know about it. Do you have something youíd like to share or are you just trying to start something?

Mary

flyersgm
08-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Nothing juicy to report as to why I resigned...I will say this...

3 years is a long time to work in a position that does not pay a lot, especially when I have 2 sons in college, a daughter that is about to start her senior year in high school, and another that is beginning her junior year.

Yes, there is A LOT more to it, and it was not totally my decision, but it is time...the new owners want to go a different direction...

I had the time of my life, and will miss it dearly. There has not been a day since last Monday when the decision was made where I have not cried, at least a little.

I will stay in touch with all of you...I will have job news (very cool, by the way) in the next week, or so...

Thanks, everyone!

Ed

LB Parents
08-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Sounds good enough to me. It's your business, and I think you have a right to keep it private!

S.Sox
08-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Good Luck Ed,
Thanks for joining us here, your the ONLY GM in Baseball that does!!!
S.Sox

Pietsch Fan
08-20-2007, 11:48 PM
Nothing juicy to report as to why I resigned...I will say this...

3 years is a long time to work in a position that does not pay a lot, especially when I have 2 sons in college, a daughter that is about to start her senior year in high school, and another that is beginning her junior year.

Yes, there is A LOT more to it, and it was not totally my decision, but it is time...the new owners want to go a different direction...

I had the time of my life, and will miss it dearly. There has not been a day since last Monday when the decision was made where I have not cried, at least a little.

I will stay in touch with all of you...I will have job news (very cool, by the way) in the next week, or so...

Thanks, everyone!

Ed

That's kind of what I thought. "...the new owners want to go a different direction..." doesn't sound 100% positive. That's why I think she (Ex Flyer Fan) was poking at it. She more than anyone here should know what that different direction is. I think her asking was retorical. That or she just wanted to push your buttons.

Can't wait to hear what cool job you've come up with. You've got San Diego's support, no matter what it is!

Mary

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-21-2007, 06:49 AM
If I was a betting man, my bet would be that the new owners want to go south, down the coast. That's where they're from and hence the "OC name"
Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money.

Ed Hart is too good for the GBL. My opinion and I'm sticking to it.

RW22
08-21-2007, 01:04 PM
by FAR, the word Snarky is the best word ever used on this board!

and as far as Ed goes, I wish him well. I just found out what he is going to do-but I will defer to him on making that announcement. Best of luck Ed!!
RW

DawgsBooster2
08-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Ed, we down here in San Diego are full on Ed Fans and wish you nothing but the best.

When we spoke today I wanted to say something eloquent, but... well, I'm just not. Eloquent, that is.

I can't wait to hear what's next on your plate.

Ex Flyer Fan
08-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Pietsch Fan,

Donít read into it more than it was, just a simple question thatís all. I learned a while back that not many of you out there want to know the truth about anything. Itís a board that wants to feel all warm and fuzzy about every posting, except when it comes to the Bashing of Steve Bash, and then everybody wants to jump on the bandwagon. Nobody wants to hear that Templeton is a thug and one of the most unethical people on the planet. Then there is the issue with Ed, not being honest with his answers. I knew there were a lot of things he couldnít comment on because he was right in the middle of some things that were over his head. But when those issues came up he should have said ďIím sorry I just canít commentĒ. That statement would have stopped a lot of the back and forth snarling that Ed and I had. Instead he chose to spin the things I said with things that were absolutely, 100% false. And he did his best to make me look like someone that just goes out and makes things up. I guess Iím just not interested in warm and fuzzy things that go on out there; God knows there enough people out there that love that kind of stuff. Iíve learned very little out there that deals in warm and fuzzy, but I have learned a wealth of knowledge from people that can convey facts. And donít get me wrong about Ed Hart; he is a great guy and one of the best PR guys anywhere. He was stuck in a horrible situation in Orange County including ownership. I have no idea who will replace Ed but I were a betting person I would say it will be the assistant GM. The one who just happens to be the owners nephew. There is so much corruption in that organization that nothing would surprise me, from Alan Mintz to Jerry Turner and everyone between them. In closing I only hope Ed will come on here and say ďEx Flyer Fan, you were right but at the time I couldnít tell you thatĒ.

gblbaseballfan
08-21-2007, 04:03 PM
all i want to say is good Luck Ed!!! thanks for puting up with us Long Beach fans when we would come into your house and get crazy it was lot's of fun and you welcomed it and never had anything bad to say about us. i alwasy thought of you as a man who cared and took pride in his work. no matter what the future brings if you go at it like you did your job as gm for the Flyersi know you will succeed in whatever it is you will be doing. Again thanks for everything!!!!

Ex Flyer Fan
08-21-2007, 04:19 PM
I almost forgot, the news that Ed will tell you all in the next week or so is about as exciting as it gets. You deserve it Ed, it's the perfect fit for you.
Congrats

DawgsBooster2
08-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Pietsch Fan,

Donít read into it more than it was, just a simple question thatís all. I learned a while back that not many of you out there want to know the truth about anything. Itís a board that wants to feel all warm and fuzzy about every posting, except when it comes to the Bashing of Steve Bash, and then everybody wants to jump on the bandwagon. Nobody wants to hear that Templeton is a thug and one of the most unethical people on the planet. Then there is the issue with Ed, not being honest with his answers. I knew there were a lot of things he couldnít comment on because he was right in the middle of some things that were over his head. But when those issues came up he should have said ďIím sorry I just canít commentĒ. That statement would have stopped a lot of the back and forth snarling that Ed and I had. Instead he chose to spin the things I said with things that were absolutely, 100% false. And he did his best to make me look like someone that just goes out and makes things up. I guess Iím just not interested in warm and fuzzy things that go on out there; God knows there enough people out there that love that kind of stuff. Iíve learned very little out there that deals in warm and fuzzy, but I have learned a wealth of knowledge from people that can convey facts. And donít get me wrong about Ed Hart; he is a great guy and one of the best PR guys anywhere. He was stuck in a horrible situation in Orange County including ownership. I have no idea who will replace Ed but I were a betting person I would say it will be the assistant GM. The one who just happens to be the owners nephew. There is so much corruption in that organization that nothing would surprise me, from Alan Mintz to Jerry Turner and everyone between them. In closing I only hope Ed will come on here and say ďEx Flyer Fan, you were right but at the time I couldnít tell you thatĒ.

Ok, I typed up about seven different responses and quickly deleted them all. They all sounded more harsh than I intend but I can't not reply.

Please, you must know and realize that you're not the only person here with 'inside' information. You're not the only connected person.

You know that privately owned companies are steeped in politics and nepotism, what would make you think that the GBL (and the OC specifically) would be above the rest?

Personally I'd have no problem with the nephew getting Ed's job... if the nephew is qualified.

And your continued use of the PR title for Ed is insulting to his accomplishments over the last three years.

Ex Flyer Fan
08-21-2007, 06:23 PM
I never claimed I was the only person here with inside info, so if you know any please inform me so I can have a nice discussion with them. If you are a person such as that I would like to share your thoughts. I would have no problem with Alan Mintz's nephew being GM if he was qualified either. You obviously don’t know him to make such a statement. And last but certainly not least, how on earth can any rational person misconstrue calling Ed “one of the best PR guys I have ever meant”, as an insult? Sorry I didn't have the time to list all the great things Ed has accomplished in the last 3 years.

WOW

RW22
08-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Ed protects and promotes Ed. If you do not agree with him, you are an "enemy". He is a brilliant PR guy, just based on being able to hold his job as long as he has. I know of his new situation, and I do hope he has the support around him to be successful. That is not "bashing" Ed, that is saying that he does lack some of the skills needed to be a professional GM. He did some really neat stuff, but there were glaring faults as well.
As a group, lets support the man on his way out!!!!!!!!!
I am sure he can tell us horror stories from the inside--but do we really need to hash that over? Come a week from now, the man will be divorced from the situation, and is there a reason to keep hammering away? Let the man "retire" and wait for the news that is to come.
As for the new GM....he is beyond qualified for the position. He may not have the personality of Ed, a bit standoff-ish (is that a word?), but he brings in quite a resume and lets hope it all works through!!

Looks like Long Beach and Chico.....any predictions??
RW

FlyerFan
08-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Hey RW, have they picked a new GM? I wasn't aware of it... any more insight to that?

jd_aka_monty
08-21-2007, 08:55 PM
I don't know anything, and I talk to the higher ups often enough...and honestly, WHO gives a rats buttocks?

I DO know, that I had a BLAST last weekend, going up to OC for the weekend. Caught some pen, worked with GTII's swing (which is superb again even given the haters), hung out with Ed (watched that man smile the WHOLE time and who even did a superb job coaching first base, heckling with the fans and all), got to meet some new faces, and remembered how much I miss the GBL (and baseball at that level). I've been an active part in the league since it first opened its doors in 05 and have yet myself to have one single bad experience. I remain an advocate and will do so, and will do what little I can to help it stay successful.

Ed, you're a gentleman, a scholar, and an all around general athletic supporter! :-D Thank you for an awesomely fun experience this past weekend! It was a BLAST and I have enjoyed you being a part of everything for three good years. NOTHING is ever perfect, and you SURE as hell can't make everyone happy. All we can do, is try to put a good product on the field, acquire and service customers. It's THAT simple...

Other than that...

Who really cares? It's all drama and soap opera stuff anyway...

Thank you kind sir!!! Keep in touch...I think you now know how to get a hold of me, should you ever need anything...

Monty

DawgsBooster2
08-21-2007, 08:57 PM
I never claimed I was the only person here with inside info, so if you know any please inform me so I can have a nice discussion with them. If you are a person such as that I would like to share your thoughts. I would have no problem with Alan Mintz's nephew being GM if he was qualified either. You obviously donít know him to make such a statement. And last but certainly not least, how on earth can any rational person misconstrue calling Ed ďone of the best PR guys I have ever meantĒ, as an insult? Sorry I didn't have the time to list all the great things Ed has accomplished in the last 3 years.

WOW

Intending it or not your posts have come off as bashing to Ed. If so, cool, we all have our opinions, but don't mind me while I take exception to it.

I don't know the nephew, never said I do. All I said was that if he's qualified then it's no biggie. If he's not then the others in power need to join ranks against the appointment.

Here's the thing, I like you, and you know I do. I know all you want is good stuff for the Flyers. You want only the best and I like that about you.

DawgsBooster2
08-21-2007, 09:01 PM
I don't know anything, and I talk to the higher ups often enough...and honestly, WHO gives a rats buttocks?

I DO know, that I had a BLAST last weekend, going up to OC for the weekend. Caught some pen, worked with GTII's swing (which is superb again even given the haters), hung out with Ed (watched that man smile the WHOLE time and who even did a superb job coaching first base, heckling with the fans and all), got to meet some new faces, and remembered how much I miss the GBL (and baseball at that level). I've been an active part in the league since it first opened its doors in 05 and have yet myself to have one single bad experience. I remain an advocate and will do so, and will do what little I can to help it stay successful.

Ed, you're a gentleman, a scholar, and an all around general athletic supporter! :-D Thank you for an awesomely fun experience this past weekend! It was a BLAST and I have enjoyed you being a part of everything for three good years. NOTHING is ever perfect, and you SURE as hell can't make everyone happy. All we can do, is try to put a good product on the field, acquire and service customers. It's THAT simple...

Other than that...

Who really cares? It's all drama and soap opera stuff anyway...

Thank you kind sir!!! Keep in touch...I think you now know how to get a hold of me, should you ever need anything...

Monty

Well said JD, well said.

I'm not GBL apologetic, but dang.... Ed is a good guy and doesn't deserve to be bashed on his way out.

flyersgm
08-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Well, I sure do appreciate the love in here...you all are great people, and I enjoy the time I spend in here...

I know I deserve some of the bashing I get in here, and I open myself up for it most of the time. Contrary to some opinions, I was ALWAYS honest in here...if I typed something that contradicted with what some of you knew to be truth, just remember that I was just telling you MY truths, as well. Remember - there are ALWAYS three sides to EVERY story...your side, my side, and then what REALLY happened...we all see things the way we CHOOSE to see them...

I also like being called a "good PR guy". I take that as a compliment.

I know I was not the best GM in the business, and never claimed to be such. I made a lot of mistakes over the the last three years, but I challenge anyone to love a job more than I loved this one...

As for the new GM, all I know is that Alan will be taking the reigns for now, and if they find someone qualified, and within the budget, they would be nuts not to pursue that person.

As for my announcement, I think it is funny that someone mentioned that they know what it will be, because even I don't at this time. I am looking at 4 or 5 options that have opened up to me in the last week, and they are all pretty cool. But I honestly do not know, as of right now, what the direction will be. Major League Baseball, College Athletics, NHL, re-opening my old business, corporate America, writing...all are options, and all have great possibilities for me right now. The family and I will be looking at all options and picking the best for us...

I will keep you all posted, and will be on here just about daily...soon under a new name... :-)

Thank you all, sincerely, for communicating with me!

Cheers!

Ed

DawgsBooster2
08-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Major League Baseball, College Athletics, NHL, re-opening my old business, corporate America, writing...all are options, and all have great possibilities for me right now. The family and I will be looking at all options and picking the best for us...

I will keep you all posted, and will be on here just about daily...soon under a new name... :-)

Thank you all, sincerely, for communicating with me!

Cheers!

Ed

Wow, lots and lots of choices. I hope you and yours are happy with which ever direction you decide to go.

Ex Flyer Fan
08-22-2007, 02:02 PM
By the way Ed I said GREAT PR guy, not good PR Guy. And you were as good at it than anyone has ever been.

flyersgm
08-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks, Ex. When you believe in something, it is easy to promote. I love the Flyers, the fans, the players, etc. I had a great staff all three years - only a few of us went all three years together, and made some very close friends.

I have a few concerns over the future of the Flyers, but I will do whatever I can do assist them in being successful...

I will miss the stadium experience with the fans - it just goes by SO fast...

I had the time of my life...

Ed

Ex Flyer Fan
08-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Having a FEW concerns is being modest. I've had huge concerns since before the second half of this year. Just remember your popularity among the players and fans was FAR greater than anyone else in the organization.

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-22-2007, 04:41 PM
ED:
Write the true inside story of the corrupt GBL. By the time its written and published, the CEO, Commish and whatever AP does will be indicted
(allegedly) ( my opinion as a 3 yr LB season ticket holder)
If you tell what is the real truth, Whew..........bestseller.
San Diego, Long Beach, Redding.Add chapter on the Icedogs takeover of the Armada.There is some real dirty ( Allegedly) business in these franchises. There fan clubs among the hotels will be good for a chapter.
Come on Ed, it's a best seller waiting to happen.:mad: :oops: :roll:

Ex Flyer Fan
08-22-2007, 05:23 PM
You are 100% right Behind Home Plate!

DawgsBooster2
08-22-2007, 05:34 PM
The baseball community is insanely small and he could (read: should) only do a GBL tell-all if he plans to never work in baseball again.

Truth is truth, sure, and sex and lies sell, but reputation is what gets you hired/fired in the baseball world.

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-22-2007, 06:25 PM
They can't hurt him from Jail, could they? ( allegedly)

DawgsBooster2
08-22-2007, 07:04 PM
They can't hurt him from Jail, could they? ( allegedly)

WTF are you talking about?

RW22
08-22-2007, 08:52 PM
without "spin"???
Ed--I know you have not signed a deal, but what I should have said was "I think i know which way you are leaning". I would not dare express your opinions, am am sorry I brought it up. When you make your final choice, and if you choose to--you will let us know.
As for the OC GM position, I am not certain the will "fill" the position per se. I would think that they have enough in house talent to fufill those obligations. I wont name names, but anyone familiar with the organization knows who is qualified to take the reigns. That said, when they do---they have some big feet to fill! Ed wasnt perfect, but who is?

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-23-2007, 08:25 AM
What I meant was if Ed tells the truth, truthful facts, the guilty parties can't hurt him. From what I've seen, heard and read, the GBL has no clout in organized baseball.
Being bad-mouthed by the GBL might come in handy. Also, I suggest Ed change his name; Maybe Ted Bart or Ned Dart; this will send them in another direction.
:oops: :oops: :lol: :roll:

flyersgm
08-23-2007, 10:42 AM
Okay, folks - just for the sake of humor (nothing else...perhaps), let's come up with names for the book...

During my first season with the Flyers, there were times when I thought I would be leaving, and that the team was going to fold...I had a book title all ready to go..."Train Wreck - My Year with the Flyers."

However, things got better, and I stayed, and well...ended up loving it...

I changed the title to "On The Right Track". (notice all the train references...).

Anyway, let's have fun with this. I do plan to write a book about my three seasons with the GBL, just so you all know, but it might not be exactly what everyone is expecting...and I certainly do not expect it to become a best-seller...if a GBL "tell all" book would be a best seller, then we would be packing the stadiums every night...

Have a great day - congrats to LB and Chico...not sure who I am rooting for in this one...lots of friends in the front office at Chico, and I love Mark Parent. Also, I am close friends with the coaches at LB, so it is a toss up...hard to root for my rival in LB, though. I guess I will be neutral.

I will be at Game 3 next week, though. Going to do an inning or two on the air with Rory Miller...

Pietsch Fan
08-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Okay, folks - just for the sake of humor (nothing else...perhaps), let's come up with names for the book...

Are the game dates and times set?

How about "Riding the Rails" or "From Hobo to Conductor" or "Tales from the Tracks"

Mary

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Here's a few:
" How to run a baseball league without knowing baseball"
" Crooks, Bunts and Lies"
More to follow....................................

NachoMan
08-23-2007, 10:24 PM
I think "Derailed" would be suitable.

S.Sox
08-26-2007, 12:28 AM
I was at the Sox/Flyers season ending game tonight, after the game I watched Ed go to EVERY one of his players with a "Hi Five".. most of those turned into a hug.. What a class guy..He even went and found Sox GM Curt Jacey for the last time..

I tried to get over to Ed to say hello/goodbye, but the OC got on the bus in about 5 minutes from the end of the game. The bus drove out of the parking lot about 10 mins. after the game..

Good Luck Ed!

S.Sox

flyersgm
08-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Hey S. Sox:

I am so sorry that I did not find you last night when I was up in Reno. I wanted to meet you, and spend a few innings with you, but ended up in the dugout for the entire 2nd game. (I just couldn't pry my way away from the guys...we have top notch players in OC, as do you in Reno - VERY impressed by your players, staff, fans, etc).

I enjoyed the double header up there (obviously game 1 - we won 4-0 - more than game 2...lost 13-3). Great entertainment, high energy crowd, and the fireworks were awesome, as well (I was not on the team bus - I flew up yesterday morning to see the guys one last time, and flew home this morning).

I encourage all of you to continue to support the GBL - there will be more growing pains, but what an amazing product we have! I will be supporting the league, and the Flyers, for years to come, and hope to see this league thriving in all markets very soon!

You have got a good thing going up in Reno, and as long as Curt is in charge, you will be fine!

Enjoy the off season!

Go Flyers!

Ed