PDA

View Full Version : Masa Chikazawa

Silver Sox Fan
08-09-2007, 02:05 AM
Masa Chikazawa has been my favorite player on the Silver Sox since he came aboard last year. The guy is a class act and has an unmatched work ethic. When I found out that he was basically playing for free, it made him that much more admirable. Unfortunately, his time in the U.S. has come to an end as you can read in this article:

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070808/SPORTS/708080420

I wish him all the best in his future endeavors and I hope we can see him in a baseball uniform again some day.

GBLCommish
08-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Masa Chikazawa was great to have in the league for the last two years, and I have a feeling that professional baseball is not over for him yet as he is very talented.

Last year after the Silver Sox season the Pittsburgh Pirates brought him to fall instructional ball, again on his own dime as they did not have a visa for him. We also had the Toronto Blue Jays and the Seattle Mariners very interested in him last year, but neither pulled the trigger to sign him.

It was a very pleasant surprise this year when he contacted the league just before spring training to say he was already in the U.S. on a travel visa and wanted to play for the Silver Sox again. The Silver Sox did a fine job in providing him all they could under the restrictions this year - the new P1 visa process will make work visas more available for minor league ballplayers going forward and perhaps we could see Masa back for another season, you never know.

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
Golden Baseball League