PDA

View Full Version : PBL Unveiling ...

The Magician
08-01-2007, 08:22 PM
With the CBA just announcing their 2007-2008 schedule ...

How soon will it be before the PBL announces their teams, divisions and schedule?

bdaly
08-01-2007, 08:58 PM
I was told at an event the R-Sharks sponsored a few weeks back that a press event is scheduled for early August. So I suspect we'll hear something fairly soon.

The Magician
08-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the heads-up!

bdaly
08-02-2007, 07:47 AM
In the mean time, here's what was published in today's D&C:

Here are some fresh details regarding the Premier Basketball League, the new league the Rochester RazorSharks will be playing in (courtesy of PBL Chairman of the Board Dr. Sev Hrywnak):

The season will run from the first week in January through the end of March with "10 to 12 teams."

It will be a 24-game regular season (12 home and 12 away).

Games will "almost always" be on weekends.

The salary cap will be $125,000 per team for 10-man rosters.

The league will cover travel expenses.

There will be league tryouts in Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington D.C., and possibly Dallas, with a relatively modest $25 tryout fee.

The league will go public, with shares available to the public.

There is a possibility of a preseason charity game in Rochester between the PBL All-Stars and the Canadian national basketball team.

The PBL will be based in Rochester, with Steve Rossi as vice-president/operations.

Dr. Hrywnak's goal: "To be the first really successful basketball minor league in 80 years."

http://www.rochesterdandc.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070802/SPORTS0101/708020343/1007/SPORTS

Obviously, they need to solidify those "10-12" teams soon. But I'm optimistic that doing that is the point of the media event.

tbayz1
08-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Looking good PBL

the games on the weekends is nice

and also that they are going to start small with 10 or 12 solid teams, thats another good thing

Overall the plan for the league looks really good in my mind, lets hope the teams can make it happen!

SignGuyDino
08-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Dr. Hrywnak's goal: "To be the first really successful basketball minor league in 80 years."

I think fans of the first CBA resent that remark. They had a helluva run for decades.

And where's the "new rules" and the "new game we've never seen before?"

Don't promise something and not deliver.

TheStandard
08-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Bsn 79 Years And Always Gets It Right

bdaly
08-02-2007, 01:27 PM
I think fans of the first CBA resent that remark. They had a helluva run for decades.

I suspect he meant it primarily from a financial sense. And based on the team turnover (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Basketball_Association_franchise_histo ry#1946-47) they had, even back then, it's hard to claim there weren't significant financial hurdles even back then.

SignGuyDino
08-02-2007, 01:31 PM
He shouldn't make foolish comments like that. It's MINOR league sports, meaning some teams will fail. It still happens even in minor league baseball.

dbaproball
08-02-2007, 01:48 PM
He shouldn't make foolish comments like that. It's MINOR league sports, meaning some teams will fail. It still happens even in minor league baseball.
This is a great case where inflection of the word makes a big difference:

"Really" = "very" AND "Really" = "truly"

Both are used in every day English vernacular. Sensitive CBA-ites could take offense with the "truly" meaning. No one can argue with the "very" meaning. The big sin here is not being skilled enough with the media to know not to use words that, when in writing, can have different meanings to different readers. Someone should call the doctor up and ask him to explain.

bdaly
08-02-2007, 01:54 PM
It still happens even in minor league baseball.
True, but the turnover in top-flight minor leagues (AAA baseball and AHL hockey) is much different than what it has been in minor league basketball for decades. I attribute that at least partially to the success of NCAA basketball. But, if you look at the percentage of turnover in minor league basketball (in any league) versus the United States' top minor league in baseball and hockey, it's not even close.

For example, Ottawa is going to relocate to PA in the International League next season. I honestly can't recall the last IL team that has folded/moved, although the PCL has seen a little more movement. The AHL is pushing 30 teams, and they usually have 0-1 markets relocate per season. I'm sure that's where he'd like to go. Obviously, a difference is the affiliation aspect which can reduce the financial burden.

He could have been a little more careful in how he stated that, but from a financial perspective, minor league basketball has been particularly challenging for some time now.

dbaproball
08-02-2007, 01:59 PM
This is a great case where inflection of the word makes a big difference:

"Really" = "very" AND "Really" = "truly"

Both are used in every day English vernacular. Sensitive CBA-ites could take offense with the "truly" meaning. No one can argue with the "very" meaning. The big sin here is not being skilled enough with the media to know not to use words that, when in writing, can have different meanings to different readers. Someone should call the doctor up and ask him to explain.
At the risk of having tomatoes thrown at me, this is where you can actually pay the ABA a compliment, relative to the PBL. (Well, sort of.)

Joe Newman is a master sales person and is very skilled with the media. You may not like what he is selling or believe everything he is saying, but that is a different story.

I'm not sure the PBL has a front man yet who can compete. I would expect mostly "robotic" releases from them (or at least would recommend that for them.) Grandstanding (like grandiose promises of a "new game") don't play well for them.

The Magician
08-02-2007, 10:10 PM
I was told at an event the R-Sharks sponsored a few weeks back that a press event is scheduled for early August. So I suspect we'll hear something fairly soon.

that a NEW Basketball League is planning a major media release at the middle of this month.

Hopefully the PBL will announce something very shortly before this league does ...

psbf
08-03-2007, 08:25 AM
tne financial troubles of the CBA, it has always been the same league, unlike Gino's claims, of 'the first CBA. He is obviously thinking of the ABA, which folded then was 'reborn' with another version.

one way
08-03-2007, 03:18 PM
I thought that PBL only charged 25.00 per free agent camper. Now Reading is charging 100.00. What gives?

The Magician
08-09-2007, 05:46 PM
that a NEW Basketball League is planning a major media release at the middle of this month.

Hopefully the PBL will announce something very shortly before this league does ...

this NEW Basketball League will delay a major media release for a short time ...

And I do hope the PBL comes out with some more exciting announcements this month.

rider
08-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Looks again like the PBL is stalled and in trouble! Very tough to find credible ownership groups and buildings for minor league basketball and secondly to start in five or six months from scratch is not wise.I doubt they will play this season but will start the following year! That would be in their best interest!

SignGuyDino
08-13-2007, 12:01 PM
I concur that leases really should be wrapped up around this time. But we have that problem with the USBA, and Magician's proposed league as well.

I say get them in inside two months, get some local trustworthy people you can use to work the schools and colleges in the area, advertise like hell on the local CBS station (March Madness, hello?), you'll be fine.

The Magician
08-16-2007, 11:56 PM
for some PBL NEWS! :mrgreen:

SignGuyDino
08-17-2007, 07:34 PM
More cowbell?

The Magician
08-25-2007, 08:16 PM
is the PBL?

Could it be ... That "Silence (is) will be Golden!"