PDA

View Full Version : attendance formula?

gblbaseballfan
07-30-2007, 05:49 PM
:confused: how does this work? do they take actual attendance x 3 = magic number? do all teams do this? i was looking at the box score for Sunday's game in Long Beach and it said att:1283 now i might be wrong but from left field it looked like 300- 350? boy i sure hope it was 1283 we need that but i'm pretty sure it wasn;t i should take a counter to the games and walk around. does this go on everywhere?

peeaanuut
07-30-2007, 05:57 PM
In past years, the GBL has used a specific formula to count attendance. Some are saying it hasnt been used this year in the way it has been used before, but of course the numbers are fudged this year.

I think they might be counting legs and having 4 legged animals in the park sunday really bumped up that number.

LB Parents
07-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Wear shoes instead of sandles when entering the park to see if they may be counting toes.:mrgreen:

gblbaseballfan
08-01-2007, 12:47 PM
thanks insider i mean no longer insider for the insight. not making a big deal just wondering how it works!!!! now i know. thanks again

Sam Hill
08-01-2007, 01:04 PM
So why "fudge" the numbers? I am 99% sure that every minor league baseball team "Fudges" the number!

It's not just the minors (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=270731128).

Few witnessed the Rockies' five-hitter. The announced crowd was 11,534, but actual attendance was likely less than 3,000.

LB Parents
08-01-2007, 01:15 PM
It was said before that numbers are fudged for sponsors. But WOW, if I was a sponsor at Tues. Chico vs Armada, I would be greatly bothered with fudged numbers. Accuall attendance including players and staff had to be between 200-300. If you include no shows added, maybe 600, but 1042 was reported. Some of us were discussing how few people were in the park, but we all agreed that at least a 1000 would be reported.

They can't report the skunks anymore since they have been gone. Though, maybe the skunks are being counted as paid no shows.:rolleyes:

gblbaseballfan
08-01-2007, 05:40 PM
200-300? i doubt it looked more like 200 tops why don't we have community functions get players out and bring fans into the seats they have them with other teams. that's it i need to get a counter hahahahahahahahah

RW22
08-01-2007, 05:46 PM
I have seen Armada staff physically count fans this year. Im not sure why they couldnt just count the ticket stubs....would seem a trifle easier. it doesnt really matter, we know how many people are in the crowd. Remember as kids, we used to guess the attendance BEFORE they posted the numbers to pick from. NOw have fun with it the other way, guess what the local team WILL post in the box score---winner gets a bag of peanuts at the next game...might as well have fun with it!!
RW

LB Parents
08-01-2007, 07:20 PM
I have seen Armada staff counting and scanning stubs in the computer. I have no idea if they count the stubs nightly??????

FlyerFan
08-01-2007, 07:41 PM
At the LB games I have gone to this year, I have seen the guy who runs the concessions counting in the stands, I figured he was trying to get a more accurate count of how many butts in seat so he could figure his per person dollar amount. LOL, guess he knows he can't depend on what is announced!

gblbaseballfan
08-02-2007, 12:05 PM
it's not the Armada staff per say it's the concession stand people doing the counts. they can't count on the "attendance" number apparnetly we are not the only ones that don't trust "management":eek:

peeaanuut
08-02-2007, 01:49 PM
I am not sure how concession contracts are at other parks, but I know at LB that the attendance directly effects how much money the concessions people make. I dont know the specifics of course but I know that if there is a high attendance and low concession sales there is something in the contract that effects concessions more than just low sales.

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-02-2007, 02:30 PM
With the food:p :) boycott and the concession people taking the hit, they can't be happy. Plus, I bet the GBL gets a piece of the action and the "new" concession people are losing money on crowds of 200/300. Another happy customer at Blair.

LB Parents
08-02-2007, 06:36 PM
LB has a private company providing concessions. When Fred (the owner) gets the attendance counts, he projects his ordering and staff. With inaccurate counts, he may order too much and call in excessive staff. One of the host families son works for Fred, and many times after the 2nd or 3rd inning he is off of work because attendance is not was expected. If you are given attendance of 1000 on one game, the next day you expect close to the same, but 200 accually show up.

It is hard to make projections for concessions when you are lied to. That's why concession's staff have been counting the butts in the seats.

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Bingo, you hit it right on the head. Another lie bites the dust.

Behind Home Plate in LB
08-02-2007, 08:58 PM
If you don't like the music, don't dance. Fred must be counting the people for some reason?
When it comes time to split up the $$ between the GBL, Fred and the city, I think fred wants real numbers on his side. Cover thy butt, if you will, thats all.
No big whoop.

LB Parents
08-03-2007, 01:48 AM
If attendance is to be taken with a "grain of salt", why count it and worry about it if it is false any way?

I find it strange that for about a year now that attendance has been a discussion. If it doen't matter, quit counting and reporting... It must be important to someone?

gblbaseballfan
08-03-2007, 12:41 PM
wow didn't think this would get out of hand i was just wondering how it worked that's all. hahahaha

LB Parents
08-04-2007, 02:44 AM
GBLBaseballfan, I vollenteer you to count butts at the next game at Blair and report back. Make sure you bring a stamp to mark each counted person so that nobody gets counted twice.:mrgreen: :eek:

gblbaseballfan
08-06-2007, 07:10 PM
i know this little girl at Blair who is full of energy always running around and she has the best parents who i know would let me get her to count the people for a few bucks...wait is there child labor laws against that?