PDA

View Full Version : Home Scoring?

Scorps13
07-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Just curious as to how often this is noticed throughout the league. I noticed that in the Yuma-Chico series there were at least a couple times where the scorer credited hits to Chico players that appeared to be sure errors. I've seen it in other parks as well but I'm curious as to how often it is seen by other fans. A ground ball in the 9th inning of the first game of the series went right under the Scorpions 2nd baseman's glove and was scored a hit. There was nothing difficult about the play. This lead to an earned run by the pitcher. Also, in yesterday's game a ball squibbed in front of home plate was thrown into the runner by the catcher. This was also given a hit, and coincidentally extended Steve Boggs' hitting steak to 12. Were it correctly ruled an error, this would have saved 2 earned runs as well. I think it's a shame that "home" scoring exists and where does everyone think it is the worst?

gblbaseballfan
07-30-2007, 05:34 PM
i will have to agree. after being to several of the ball parks i must say the score keeping is not that great anywhere. they do tend to give the home team the advantage. i don;t think it's worse anywhere i think it looks about the same everywhere. it's not good for the guys.

S.Sox
07-30-2007, 05:41 PM
A good possible solution for all of baseball is to have all "official scorers" be employees of the League Office.. such as the Umpires...this would eliminate the"home team advantage"
A great expense to the league ..versus the teams.
S.Sox

LB Parents
07-30-2007, 07:20 PM
If the home advantage scoring is true, a few of the teams have been extreemly disadvantaged with fewer scheduled home games.

flyersgm
07-30-2007, 10:37 PM
It may not be fair, and it may not be right, but in all of baseball (not just the GBL), the rule of thumb is to "err" (sorry for the pun) on the side of the home team, especially the pitcher.

If a home player hits a ball that could be scored either way (really is a judgement call), an official scorekeeper will usually side with the hitter, thus raising his average.

If a home pitcher gives up a grounder that could be scored either way, the home pitcher's ERA will be protected more than the fielder's fielding percentage, thus an error is more likely to be called.

Like it or not (and I am not saying that this is my philosophy - just what I have seen in my years of baseball), it is what happens in most parks.

Thanks

Ed

flyersgm
07-30-2007, 10:38 PM
By the way, I hope we are ALL scoring at home, if you know what I mean! ;)

Scorps13
07-31-2007, 02:20 AM
If a home player hits a ball that could be scored either way (really is a judgement call), an official scorekeeper will usually side with the hitter, thus raising his average.

If a home pitcher gives up a grounder that could be scored either way, the home pitcher's ERA will be protected more than the fielder's fielding percentage, thus an error is more likely to be called.

Absolutely, I agree this is standard and what you are saying is not a terrible thing. I can understand this will occur. I am saying from the plays I pointed out, it appears that clear errors are now being given hits in some ballparks. The two plays I referred to in Chico were not plays that should be able to go either way but were errors that were given hits to the Chico players.

written word
07-31-2007, 08:56 PM
I have been in or around the press box at Scorpions games for two years now and it is an absolute joke. Quite often the official scorers make the correct call at Desert Sun only to be taken to task by a player or coach after the game. Once already this month a Scorpions coach actually chewed the scorer out with the game IN PROGRESS from his cell phone in the dugout. There is bush and and there is bush but just because some of these managers spent time on MLB diamonds doesn't give them the right to overrule and belittle people who are doing their honest best to score a ball game. It's high time someone from the league office stepped in and put an end to these power trips.

If this is a league-wide problem then I can see why Mike, Shannon and Pete are sticking up for their guys at home games. After all they only got about 30 of them this season so their guys are probably getting roped by road scorers all the time.

Scorps13
08-01-2007, 04:57 AM
You are correct about the Yuma coaches calling on several occasions. The scorer at Yuma is not a very baseball savvy guy and to be honest, his rulings do not seem to favor either side. On several occasions the calls from the coaches were to switch plays to Yuma hits, but there have also been calls to give other teams hits on balls that were ruled errors on Yuma player's. The coaches being former players, I think they just want to see the right call being made by the scorer. That is what the players, who are fighting to get back into affiliated ball, deserve.

written word
08-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Hey the scorers do their best up in the box but honestly over the course of a season how much will a few poorly scored calls hurt or help a player? What's two or three borderline hits or a earned run or two in a 76-game season. Also the entire point of having a scorer in the first place is so that there is an official unbiassed record of the game. Anyone, ex Major Leaguer or not, in a uniform has a tainted opinion of the action. It is also worth noting that there are plays where people at field level have less of a view than the box or are more concerned with strategy and base-runners (or should be) than charting the play. Bottom line is players need to take a step back and gain some perspective. MLB scouts aren't hanging on every box score from this league like Feds looking for terrorists. If a player demonstrates enough skill it will be noticed. If there is a problem after the game managers should file a formal appeal with the league office like professionals instead of bullying their own personnel during the game.

10dad
08-07-2007, 07:41 PM
While with St George my son Johnny hit 2 balls up the middle cleanly and they were fielded by the centerfielder. (So I was told by several, I wasn't there). But.... he received a 1-4 day by the official scorekeeper, what a trip! Oh well what can you do?

JPotter
08-07-2007, 08:38 PM
I remember that game, we were in Reno. There were scoring problems in all three games of that series.

10dad
08-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Short term memory buddy, man I'M getting old! LOL!

JPotter
08-08-2007, 01:59 AM
No worries. Any chance you will be in Fullerton over the next two days?

10dad
08-08-2007, 03:05 AM
Yeah John I'll be there for both I'll look you up! Great team win for them tonight under tough circumstances, when you get a chance give my kudos to Cory would you?

See you for "Singles Night" (whatever the heck that's means) tomorrow at Goodwin.

Scorps13
08-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Hey the scorers do their best up in the box but honestly over the course of a season how much will a few poorly scored calls hurt or help a player? What's two or three borderline hits or a earned run or two in a 76-game season. Also the entire point of having a scorer in the first place is so that there is an official unbiassed record of the game.

My point in starting this thread was that some home scorer in some of these parks do not do their best and cause the statistics to favor the home players. This is not the unbiassed record of the game that you are saying we should have. I have observed, especially in Chico and Long Beach, scoring that favored home players on plays that obviously should have gone the other way.

Hits and earned runs do add up. Just one error ruled a hit could be the difference in a pitcher giving up 5 earned runs in one inning or unearned runs as well. So I'd say the biggest impact would affect the pitchers, as the hitters are limited to it affecting just one AB every time.

Also, I have to say that Orange County appeared to be the most unbiased scoring that I have seen thus far in the league. Good job OC.

Baseball Dad
08-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Box scores obviously don't tell the whole story, but, I went through all the posted L.B. home games vs. Yuma and looking at the pitcher's lines they did not appear biased. Unearned runs on both sides. I guess if you were there and are focusing on a particular play(s) I'm sure there could have been some discrepencies. I know that my son's ERA would be a tad better if not for "road scorekeeping".

Scorps13
08-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Plays that I saw at Long Beach when Yuma was there were ground balls by Long Beach hitters that went right off or by Yuma fielders. The plays were given hits as long as the ball continued to the outfield. If the ball hit the Yuma defender and stayed in the infield it seemed to be given an error. On the other hand, this was early, and Currier was pitching for Long Beach. A hit up the middle that the shortstop could barely even reach as he lunged and the ball ticked off the end of his glove into center field was given an error. It's inconsistencies like those that I noticed in Long Beach.