PDA

View Full Version : Cycles

peeaanuut
07-30-2007, 01:42 PM
How many times has a player hit for the cycle this season? I know that Jaime did it once recently and there was one earlier in the season, but has there been more that I have missed?

What about in GBL history? Anyne have that stat avail?

10dad
07-30-2007, 02:03 PM
How many times has a player hit for the cycle this season? I know that Jaime did it once recently and there was one earlier in the season, but has there been more that I have missed?

What about in GBL history? Anyne have that stat avail?

According to Jordan Moore (Flyers play by play guy) my son Johnny's cycle vs. St George was the first in league history (albeit short history), then the same week St George gave one up to Jaime Martinez from LB, tough week for the Roadrunner's pitching staff.

gblbaseballfan
07-30-2007, 02:49 PM
congrat's to Johnny and Jaime great job guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

peeaanuut
07-30-2007, 03:00 PM
thats what I had thought. I couldnt remember it happening last year and while my 1st season memory is fading I couldnt recall one from then either. Well congrats to those 2. Lets hope we see a few more.

10dad
07-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Interesting fact about those 2, they're from the same college conference (Big West) and know each other well. Johnny was at CS Northridge and Jaime at UC Irvine, "keeping it in the family"

flyersgm
07-30-2007, 03:16 PM
I believe Johnny's was the first in GBL history - nice to see it happen in a Flyers uni!! :-)

10dad
07-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Yes it was according to Jordan Moore. In retrospect it may have been the kiss of death for Johnny! LOL! After that he went through what 4 or 5 games where he could not get a single ball to fall even though he was hitting bullets all over the field (even lost a potential 3 run triple or maybe even a Grand Slam vs. Chico on a great running catch by OF Daniel Nava), tough game this baseball is at times.

The best moment I heard about from Johnny was the other night vs. Reno, again he hit a ball right on the screws only to have it go right to Victor Hall in CF, after a mere 3 or 4 steps out of the box, he took off his helmet and was shaking his head in disbelief (or was it frustration, LOL) and he turned to head to the dugout and the whole team was belly laughing at him and his continued hard luck, he couldn't help but shake his head and laugh right along with them (his words). Gotta love your teammates! This group especially, pretty good chemistry going on there in Orange County, Johnny is very happy to be a part of it, from this observers point of view at least, they are doing it right over there these days.

GBLCommish
07-30-2007, 06:34 PM
John did have the first cycle ever in the GBL, followed by Jaime's a week later. The impressive thing about the Coit Cycle was that it was the ultra-rare natural cycle where the hits go in order from single to double to triple to home run. The theory why this is done less frequently than the odds (which are still astronomical) is that most players know they have a cycle going when it comes to their last at bat and it's a lot harder pressing for a homer than for a single.

We have ESPN Sports Ticker researching natural cycles to see when the last was done in independent pro ball. The last cycle of any kind was last year by Pichi Balet of the Lincoln Salt Dogs of the American Association which was the only cycle in indy ball in 2006.

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
Golden Baseball League
925-226-2896

gblbaseballfan
07-30-2007, 07:21 PM
wow that makes Johnny's even more impresive. and it was great seeing Jaime's in person. thanks for the info Commish!!!