PDA

View Full Version : Ed: How is Rich Pohle?

peeaanuut
07-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Hey Ed, How is Rich doing? Was he still hurting much after the game?

If others had not heard, Rich hit some of the fencing at Blair last night pretty good. If you have not been to Blair Ill try to describe it. The home bullpen sets at the end of the left field line. There is about 10 feet of runoff and than a slightly lower than waist high fence to section off the bullpen. Rich hit this pretty good while chasing a fly ball. He hit it and flipped over the fence landing on his back. He was down for a little bit and the trainers and teammates all went to his aid. He was able to walk off the field, but he looked to be in quite a bit of pain.

I have other comments about this situation but this is not the thread for it. I might start another one regarding things said over the radio. But mainly I wanna see if Rich is injured badly or if it came down to getting the wind knocked out, which would be better than an injury.

LB Parents
07-19-2007, 10:57 AM
We're Armada host parents and saw the accident with the fence. Our players said that Rich is a great guy and sorry to see him get hurt. We are also concerned as well as the rest of the rest of the Armada fans were last night as noted by the silence as the Armada and Flyer's trainers ran to Rich.

There was one that was not concerned as we heard on the staff radios with all the silence in the stadium. Steve Bash, the Armada GM, had NO concern. One of the Armada staff contacted Mr. Bash to advice him that he is the only administrative member trained to asses the situation to call paramedics and/or an ambulence. After a few comments back and forth about the situation, Mr. Bash's last comment in a sarcastic tone was, "What am I suppose to do, give him CPR." The crowd was stunned. I guess Mr. Bash was more involed with his partying than to be concerned for a hard working player and fellow human being.

Peanut, I believe we all feel the same, "We hope Rich is okay" and hope to hear from someone who knows how Rich is doing!! I sure Mr. Bash is not waiting to hear!! I am sure he is just downing another BEER!!

Pietsch Fan
07-19-2007, 11:28 AM
We're Armada host parents and saw the accident with the fence. Our players said that Rich is a great guy and sorry to see him get hurt. We are also concerned as well as the rest of the rest of the Armada fans were last night as noted by the silence as the Armada and Flyer's trainers ran to Rich.

There was one that was not concerned as we heard on the staff radios with all the silence in the stadium. Steve Bash, the Armada GM, had NO concern. One of the Armada staff contacted Mr. Bash to advice him that he is the only administrative member trained to asses the situation to call paramedics and/or an ambulence. After a few comments back and forth about the situation, Mr. Bash's last comment in a sarcastic tone was, "What am I suppose to do, give him CPR." The crowd was stunned. I guess Mr. Bash was more involed with his partying than to be concerned for a hard working player and fellow human being.

Peanut, I believe we all feel the same, "We hope Rich is okay" and hope to hear from someone who knows how Rich is doing!! I sure Mr. Bash is not waiting to hear!! I am sure he is just downing another BEER!!

Wow... What an idiot. Guess it was a miracle he was even onsite, huh?

Mary

LB Parents
07-19-2007, 11:46 AM
We accually got word from one of the Flyer's coaches mouth on the way out of Blair Field that Rich has a contusion (bruise) on one of his knees and should be alright.

peeaanuut
07-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Im glad that is all it came out to be. The way he flipped over the fence it could have been alot worse. I am not sure if he hit his head or not, but had he came down on it, there could have been some serious neck injuries.

Hopefully he will only miss a game or 2 and will be back in the line-up soon.

gblbaseballfan
07-19-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm glad to hear the Rich is going to be ok. How sad that our Team has a President / General Manager that does not care about the guys that go out there everynight to play their hearts out for a shot. The guys that bring us to the stadium to watch play because we love the game. I hope that Mr. Bash never needs medical attention because someone somewhere might just say what am i supposed to do give him cpr? What a great message to send out to the parents, host family's and the fans.

flyersgm
07-20-2007, 01:53 AM
Thank you all for asking about Rich. He and I have been together since day 1 with the Flyers...He has become like a son, and also a dear friend, to me. When he went down, the hush in the stadium was deafening. I appreciate the genuine concern of the Armada fans. It really seems to me that the Armada fans and the Flyers fans are one big family, even though we are rivals. Dozens of fans asked me tonight if Rich was okay. It was very touching.

Rich told me tonight at Blair that he expects to be in the lineup by Saturday night, probably as a DH for a few days. His bat is invaluable to us, and he is the one guy that I would always want up to bat in a critical situation.

No damage to the knee - that play scared me - he went down really hard.

As for the radio call - I heard about it from a couple of fans, but did not hear it myself. My only comment is that Steve was there when I got to Rich, and he came over and asked me if Rich was okay. I appreciated it. That is all another GM can ask for from the host team - ask us if there is anything they can do, and Steve did that...I thought that was classy.

We have had players from other teams get hurt in our stadium over the three seasons I have been here in OC, and I always try to get to the player, or their Trainer, ASAP so that I can assist in any way, and just make sure all is well. All of these players in this league are great guys, and my favorite thing about my job is that I get to know these good young men.

If for no other reason, support the GBL because these young players deserve to play in front of big crowds, and they love the roar of the crowd, the applause, the GREAT post-game meals (our Cabooster Club is unbelievable...they have made my job so much easier this season), and the support of staff members and fans across the league. The bottom line is that this league is ALL about them, and the rest of us just get in the way sometimes! :-)

Again, on behalf of Rich Pohle, his family, and the Flyers, THANK YOU for your genuine concern. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks

Ed

LB Parents
07-20-2007, 02:03 AM
It's good to hear that Rich is okay!! I am a fan that likes to give the opposing players a hard time, but always wish the best for them. I believe the hekling is good training for games that they may be in the higher leagues. Hope Rich heals quickly!!

RW22
07-20-2007, 06:02 PM
First off, I am very happy to hear Rich is ok!!

A few concerns though (what else is new??). First off, if tha radio call was made, and I was not even in the state, much less the park. Someone has to apologize, and immediately. If true, that is a horriffic statement. It may have been likened to bad judgement, but please. These are the players that allow them to keep doing their jobs everyday. I cant imagine when Masa got blown through the backstop a couple of weeks ago that Mark Parent was yelling BOOO-YA from the opposing dugout.

Secondly, if it is also true that only ONE person has the ability, judgement and training to call for EMTs---that is scary. I mean in this case, what would have happened had Rich broke his leg and Steve had been called to the airport to pick up an incoming player? (I know for most of you, thats not what you thought I was going to say he was doing, sorry) I would have to imagine if there are bad injuries that the trainers are equipped to make such calls. So, hopefully, that is a complete non issue.

Play ball!

peeaanuut
07-21-2007, 02:47 AM
I hope that there are at least 2 or 3 trained staff at each game, from either team, that can make the judgement. I know what I heard on the radio was not good at all. But I think one of the trainers or Ed, who ran over there quite quickly, would be able to make the call to get an ambulance if it was necessary. There is no excuse for what was said, but there is no excuse to not have trained medical staff at the game. At least someone with CPR training.