PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Roadrunners so bad?

Silver Sox Fan
07-09-2007, 11:46 PM
With the MLB, you expect an expansion team to be bad since their roster is stocked with career back-ups and aging veterans.

In the GBL, with almost complete roster turn over, there is no reason to have a bad team just because it is your first year in the league. In fact, my own Silver Sox won the league title as an expansion team in their first year of existence.

In looking at St. George, their stats aren't incredibly bad. They have a horrible team ERA but they don't have as many errors as Reno and their team batting average is about middle of the pack in the league. Their roster does seem to have a good mix of A, AA, and rookies and even one guy with MLB experience.

So two questions:

1. Why are the so bad?

2. DO you think the GBL should do a true expansion draft? My idea would be a draft in early May. Each team would submit a list of all players under contract at that point and the expansion team could pick one from each team. They would still have get players as they do now but it would at least assure they had some players with decent experience on the roster. Since most teams started spring training in late May anyway, it shouldn't disrupt things too much especially since they will have all those extra players in camp from the tryouts.

peeaanuut
07-10-2007, 12:08 AM
i wonder if the owner/coach situation there might be clowding his game day mind? Not making decisions based on games but based on money?

RW22
07-10-2007, 12:43 AM
Well...expansion draft or not. The GBL had a "dispersal" draft when Suprise and, I think, Mesa were part of the league. I know that other leagues would give the last place team the first pick of the released players. Somehow, Chico wound up with the league MVP...they won their division! How in the world does that happen??? I know San Diego and Fullerton could have used him more than the first place team....more unansweared questions

ChicoManiac
07-10-2007, 02:21 PM
I think it is the newness of the St. George coaching staff and GM to independent baseball....looks like they underestimated the level of play, but they seem to be making moves to get more experienced players onboard...they beat us two out of three up here last time...hope we do better with them tonight.

Expansion drafts don't make a lot of sense in Indy ball as teams pretty much retool in the off-season.....Reno as an expansion team won the championship in their first year....but they had a very experienced manager...we have only 3-4 players back from last year and have only had one player all three years....also Chico did not win our Division or even make the playoffs when we had Desi Wilson last year...That's not accurate and there weren't even any divsions last year... I don't think there is any conspiracy to stack Chico or the league would have hoarded Craig Kuzmic last year during the last week of the season like most indy teams would have done instead of getting him the opportunity with Toronto.

S.Sox
07-10-2007, 02:25 PM
ChicoManiac,
Where is Kusmic now?

dominator1212
07-10-2007, 02:32 PM
one of the problems is the 9day training....many pitchers can't get ready in time and rush things...they end up hurting and never tell there managers as there is no more DL. and they are afraid of losing ther jobs....except for yuma all teams had a high era early on and alot of hurt or hurting pitchers. because the weather in so. cal and az are baseball weather longer, allow st george and all further cold weather towns to practice earlier and have traing longer so the pitchers can get into shape.

ChicoManiac
07-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Hey S.Sox,

I heard that Toronto traded him to the Brewers in the off-season and he was released recently...don't know if he has hooked on with another major league organization or not....would love to have him back!

RW22...maybe I misread your post about Chico winning our division with Desi Wilson. Did you mean we had won our Division the year before and then drafted Wilson? It is hard to tell from your post, but I'm not one to talk as my posting grammar is terrible.... If so, that is also not accurate, we finished third in our Division and would have drafted just behind Fullerton and Yuma....San Diego, as you mention, may have wanted Wilson but they won the entire league that year.

Silver Sox Fan
07-10-2007, 02:50 PM
I agree with you on the spring training. It is way too short. I think the high ERAs are one indication as are the injuries to guys after 1 start or not even 1 start.

I also look at the errors which are out of control in Reno. You have guys dropping balls in the infield, fielders running into each other as the ball falls to the ground, Rodriguez firing a pick-off attempt into the outfield multiple times. Either these guys are really bad ball players (which I doubt) or they have not had time to gel as a team (which I believe is the case). Unfortunately, you cannot take a month to work out the kinks because then the season is more than a third over. As I posted on my blog, Reno is just really good out outslugging their mistakes, especially against other poor pitching teams.

I for one don't care for the late inning implosions Reno seems to have. Last night is a perfect example. Against the worst team in the league, they were up 11-3 at the end of the seventh and hang onto win 11-9. That is a recurring problem and though it really epiomizes that "it ain't over until it is over" it doesn't make for quality baseball when there are too many runs scored, errors, and weak pitching. It is nice for Reno to score 44 runs in three days to break out of a slump. However, and call me old fashioned, if I wanted to see a 14-11 score on most nights of the week, I'd watch football :)

RW22
07-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Sorry Chico, I was referring to year 1, then we lost Mesa and Suprise. I think fullerton had the worst record the first year, thusly should have had the 1st pick in the dispersal draft. Now, if Fullerton did not pick the reigning MVP of the league---thats cruddy management at a local level. I know they could have used his stick quite neatly. The 1-2 puch that would have been Desi and the emergance of Peanut would have been a real nice thing for them to have. Just looking at a few things from down south, it "seems" like things are slighted to the North.
This year both Reno and Chico have more home games than any one else--how is that balanced and fair to everyone else. Now I will let jealousy get in the way of a good fact---you have the best GM in the league and Reno has the best coach. Again, dont let the heart get in the way of the facts!! LOL
I dont think the league is "rigged", but I do think Chico does receive a lot more attention from the league offices. I think if they spent as much effort elsewhere, we would actually be talking baseball here.

10dad
07-10-2007, 09:26 PM
It's pretty tough to score 9 runs a game consistently (that's what it takes to overcome an 8 team ERA). Several games late leads have evaporated when the bullpen has been called upon. Lots of homeruns given up as well. Those problems are being addressed as quickly as possible but the work is not finished yet it looks like.

Another big problem has been the big inning, St George seems to have a lot of those at least one per game darn near. The pitching is not up to the task in thiese instances and the defense has chipped in as well with spotty play at inopportune times contributing to these big innings.

Overall this club has been in many of their games late, they are simply finding ways to lose, learning how to win as a team does take time sometimes.

jd_aka_monty
07-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Speaking of dispersal draft, there were 11 Surf Dawgs still left on the roster at the end of the season, who were up for dispersal at the end of the AWL season. To my knowledge, only 4 of us were offered jobs, but I don't believe any of them actually signed.

Dwin
07-13-2007, 12:15 AM
It is easy to see that pitching had been the major problem with the Roadrunners thus far. However I would have to question why you have a guy who is among the league leaders in batting average and has committed only one error this season sitting on the bench. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I think the team has some good position players, who can hit as well. It doesn't seem that there is much continuety with all of the switching of the line up. Fact is those kids know who should be playing and where. It doesn't do much for team morale when the players know who should be where on the field and it isn't happening

JPotter
07-13-2007, 01:01 AM
Dwin -

If you are speaking of Brett Flowers, he mildly injured his right knee in a game at Reno four days ago. Sliding on Peccole Park's real turf did not work real well for him.

Dwin
07-13-2007, 10:29 PM
John,
Thank you for the info. Don't get many injury reports in this neck of the woods.

JPotter
07-14-2007, 01:05 AM
You're welcome. FYI, Brett was the DH in tonight's game vs. Reno. He had two hits, an RBI and a run scored.