PDA

View Full Version : Problems with the GBL website!

S.Sox
07-09-2007, 03:03 PM
I must say I'm a GBL junkie! I like to scroll around the various websites in the league to keep up on the other teams.
The GBL website for the past few years has been the main stop for me in the morning to get up on the previous nights games.
This year I have been a little disgusted with the GBL website amongst others like ( Reno & St. George).
To start the GBL website very seldom gets the results from the Reno games by morning ( about 14 hours later), the CNBC clip about the league no longer plays it says Microsoft is unable to locate this file. I think new people to the league can get a glimpse of what the league is about with that feed.
Then when at every teams website except Chico when you scroll down to go to the other teams in the league St. George is not an option(only SD Dawgs). You have to go back to the league website to access St. George.
The press room link has not been updated since 9-22-2006, that was the last press relaese updated to the GBL website..
Any newcomers/possible expansion cities must wonder why the website is so lacking..
I'm lost for words when it comes to the GBL, Reno, and St.George regarding thier websites. These are great avenues to fans all over the world.
I wanted to purchase a Roadrunner hat but the webite is not functional!!??
Then Reno still has Cody Nowlin on our roster and NO Juan Seneriso??!!
If I was in charge of the various websites they would be the life blood of the fans...I sent an email to the webmaster, nothing has chnaged.
I don't get it.......growing pains I guess
S.Sox

JPotter
07-09-2007, 04:54 PM
I feel your pain, especially since I post a lot of things to the RoadRunners website.

Regarding buying a hat, the RoadRunners store has not been set up by the team or the league. There has to be discussion between both to determine what goes in the online store.

I know it is an inconvenience, but if you would like to get a hat, call the RoadRunners office at 435-673-5333.

Please e-mail me if you have any further suggestions about the St. George website.

RW22
07-09-2007, 04:58 PM
the "GBL" way of doing things. They dont think ahead, and just react to complaints. Im not sure who even thinks up their offices. They seem to be trying a bit more this year, probably because they are trying to sell teams. Updating the websites is about the easiest way to keep the fans informed. I would venture to guess that they, off the top of their heads, could not give you web hit numbers. Which is not suprising to anyone who knows this league. They want to be legit, but are not willing to work for it. The laziness is league-wide, and they wonder why attendance isnt what it should be. I am sorry for those few who are dedicated to the cause, there should be many more of you to make this whole thing work right.
Slow paying your vendors and employees does nothing to help their cause. I know the Commish has a tough job, but it should not just up to him to help fix things. There are many investors and front office people who have brilliant resumes, unfortunately they have no real sense of the sporting community. How hard would it be to have a website company redesign the website and give them advertising on it? Making it easier for the teams and the league to post more frequently??? I guess I think too far out of the box.

peeaanuut
07-09-2007, 05:03 PM
a website these days is such a strong marketing tool. Not just being the first stop in alot of peoples info searches, but the fact that it is so fluid. You print a flyer and thats it. There is no changing it. But a website can be updated and changed at a whim. A quality website is well worth the money in todays online world.

I think a lot of why the websites haven't been updated is because they are so hard to work with. Ridiculous image size limits, slow servers, sloppy content management back end. The teams really should have someone whos main job it is to update the site. Not specifically come up with content, but at least make sure the score is updated, the box scores are posted, player changes are kept up with and contact. It should be a paid position and the person at the league office should be in check with all the teams. While they may be individually owned teams (some anyways) they should still follow the league direction in regards to that. Continuity.

Silver Sox Fan
07-09-2007, 05:26 PM
One possible solution is to do what MiLB or the Arena Football League does. They have main page with a minimum of information (schedule, roster, etc) and then a link to the "official team page". That way each team could put as much effort into their page as they like and they could use the server and web tools that are easiest for them to work with. Of course, the problem would only exacerbate the issues with the league run teams' pages--if OC had this awesome site with flash, podcasts, video clips, etc then it puts the onus on the GBL to improve all of their teams' websites as well. They would have to step up and spend money to match it.

You guys know this is my #1 complaint with the league. Hopefully they see it as the worth the investment.

I still think they should just dedicate one of their web saavy interns to updating the site full time. Cheaper than a FTE and they only are there during the season. At this point, I'd trust a 18 year old kid with Microsoft Page Maker at his disposal more than what we have now in terms of quality, frequency of updates, and useability.

S.Sox
07-09-2007, 05:26 PM
I just want to see the GBL succeed and create a growing fan base!!
The websites are one of the best tools!!
Thanks John Potter ,I call the office in St.George.
S.Sox

RW22
07-09-2007, 05:49 PM
We all want the league to work SS. It is just unreal how the EASIEST of things need to be hashed out on a messege board for anything to get done. You would think after three years, a lot of these issues would have taken care of themselves. Sadly, they have not and its confusing as to why. I know the Commish and others read this board---why is it that they dont have one on their site? Seems to me you can promote yourself within your fan base that way. Or, do they just dont want to reallly hear what we have to say. I am sure any response will be a canned one, but do you really think the investors of the GBl really read this. Notable exceptions are the Commish and a few GMs.

peeaanuut
07-10-2007, 01:06 AM
plausible deniablility?

Silver Sox Fan
07-10-2007, 01:14 AM
Another annoying thing is that they don't update player photos. The basically took pictures before the season and that is all you get. The Sox roster has pretty much completely turned over as far as starters so unless you're Victor Hall, Mike Done, Carlos Madrid, or Jose Rodriguez, you don't get a picture. Even Masa Chikazawa who was with the team since last year doesn't have a photo. With digital cameras, it doesn't seem to be that big of a headache to do.

One more vote for having a full time guy working on the website!

RW22
07-10-2007, 01:20 AM
Well, when you think your are "entitled" to stuff because you "own" a league---you really lose perspective. They havent a clue as to what goes on, on a day to day basis. They can run around to all the sites and empahsize what they think will work, but having quality management onsite is the only way its going to work. I talked to one vendor tonight who was not paid last year for 6 months---ummm, thats the ENTIRE season PLUS three months!!!! This is a small business that wanted to be involved....They had to threaten the GM with an ad in the local paper to get paid....is this anyway to run a business??? Isnt "take care of your own" somewhere in there plan....the more I hear about this stuff; the more sick I am about the ownership group...take products, sell them---and NOT pay for them??? Its more common than people seem to think in this league.
They "own" the teams, but yet have no responsability for them until someone REAALLLY complians---why should we be talking about this crud here??? Is there not someone that should know this stuff too?? How blind can they really be???
Great post peeeeaaanuuut---said it easier than i did....frustrating

RW22
07-10-2007, 01:30 AM
SS---

Have you looked at the "investors bio" page on the GBL website?? You would think with that much business saavy, that the ywould be able to find one of their KIDS to do something better than they have now. Its not going to change. Im sorry, they just dont seem to care anymore--just recoup some of the money they put in-sell teams and just "manage" the league...just plain sad.
They can respond anyway they want to me....we all see the defeciances, and they havent done much about them. They corrected Reno, but what have they really done??? Exactley what was EXPECTED of them!!! So fixing what you were supposed to do in the first place is not something to pat yourself on the back for, is it??

S.Sox
07-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Thought it was quite fitting that as I looked around the websites this morning NOTHING has changed!! The GBL webstie has the same problems and the Reno sight STILL has Cody Nowlin on the roster....
"I just don't get it!"
S.Sox:confused:

Silver Sox Fan
07-10-2007, 03:30 PM
I have to say I am with you, S. Sox. I was the same guy who said give them time but a week later and there are still roster problems...Melton brings up Jordan Devoir, less than half the roster has a picture of the guy on his profile, etc...and they haven't updated the promotions schedule with their "revamped promotions" nor have they put up the link they promised a week ago about the kid's club. In fact, an early version of the promo schedule had (as one of the 4 giveways) a T-shirt night on 7 JUL which just disappeared around the 4th with no rescheduling. Now that four is compared to about 12 or so Chico has in addition to dollar dog nights and other fun promotions like Remember the Heat night. Both teams are league owned and it is sad there is such a difference between them! Are we doing that poorly on local sponsorship (and I say local even though at least 1 giveaway is a league level one with the border patrol) that we can only get 4 and now 3 giveaways in a season? Wow.

The website and all the new promos must still be "coming soon". With the season half over in about a week, I hope we have some changes for the second half.

RW22
07-10-2007, 03:32 PM
SS....I feel for you!! This is EXACTLY what this league will do to you. Now, I am sure we are just a few vocal voices, but I am certain there are a ton more casual/passive fans that feel the same way. It does get frustrating, because they either dont care or are too understaffed to fix the problems. I dont have that answear, but I do feel your pain. Again, not listening to your consumers will kill you-in ANY business. I dont know how they dont get that and it shows the true colors of the GBL offices. Good luck and I hope you stay around; because despite the ineptitude of the higher ups, it still should be about the kids on the field. Another concept they do not get either!

Pietsch Fan
07-10-2007, 06:06 PM
If I was not already familiar with the GBL, heard something about them in my local paper or news or ESPN and then went to their web site or "my" team's web site (assuming I had a team, lol) it would really be a bad first impression. People want information instantly and often won't take the time to call a front office to get information they can't find online.

The internet is a HUGE marketing tool that shouldn't be wasted the way it is. I'd rather someone not have a web site, than have a web site that isn't kept up.

Mary

aardvark
07-11-2007, 02:37 AM
Just a thought--how long will the Surf Dawgs be listed on the GBL website? At least they got the Samurai Bears off the site!