PDA

View Full Version : More Money and Another chance?

S.Sox
07-07-2007, 11:50 PM
The Golden Baseball League (GBL) announced today that Long Beach Armada players Corey Myers and Rik Currier have had their contracts acquired. Myers is now a member of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheimís farm system and has reported to the AA Arkansas Travelers of the Southern League while Currier joins the Minatitlan Petroleros of the Mexican League that is rated AAA by Minor League Baseball.

I was wondering what the difference in pay is for these two guys heading to affiliated ball?? I noticed on baseball cube and ESPN.com that some AAA guys make around $300,000 a year, is it the same in the Mexican League? What do guys make in AA?
I understand this is about their dream of making it to the Big Leagues so these guys are back on track.. Good Luck!!!
S.Sox

GBLCommish
07-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Hi S.Sox,

You're right, it is about the dream as the money isn't that much different in the minor leagues, however it can be substantially different in Mexico and Taiwan and a huge difference if a Korean or Japanese team acquires a U.S. player.

Here's the 2005 Minor League Salary Levels as set by MLB (the minor league franchise owners don't set the salaries in affiliated ball as they don't own player contracts, rather they just run the stadiums and don't have responsibility for the baseball operations). The numbers may be a bit higher now, but this is what I currently have:

Minor League Salaries (doesn not include signing bonuses for drafted players):

First contract season: $850/month maximum. After that, open to negotiation but the player pretty much accepts what the team offers as they are not yet a free agent.

Triple-A--First year: $2,150/month, after first year no less than $2,150/month

Class AA-First year: $1,500/month, after first year no less than $1,500/month

Class A (full season)--First year: $1,050/month, after first year no
less than $1,050/month

Class A (short-season)--First year: $850/month, after first year no
less than $850/month

Dominican & Venezuelan Summer Leagues--no lower than $300/month

Meal Money: $20 per day at all levels, while on the road on overnight stays
Player must pay for their own housing while at home.

Many AAA players that have been on 40-man rosters, or who have major league time and are bouncing up and down do get paid in the $10k - $20K per month range, but most are at the minimum or close to it if they are woking their way up. 7 Year Free agents (minor leaguers that have 7 years of service, but have not made a major league roster yet in their career) can negotiate as a free agent (although many are released) and are commonly paid in the $3-$K per month range at AAA.

The top International Leagues pay approximately:

Italy: $3K - $5K per month
Mexico: $5K - $10K per month, allowed 4 non-Mexican players per team.
Taiwan: $6K - $20K per month, allowed 3 non-Taiwan players per team.
Korea: $300K minimum salary for the season
Japan: $500K minimum salary for the season.

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
Golden Baseball League
925-226-2896

RW22
07-08-2007, 01:10 AM
Im not sure exactly how to say "thank you" for your post; it really gives the average fan and "inside" look. If we could find a way to filter that down to all of the "local" levels--I have a feeling that a lot of what is being said will be taken care of....
coninued success---i really wish the best for the guys!!!

RW

S.Sox
07-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Commish,
Thanks for the great info.. that is very interesting!
S.Sox

heavesrock
07-08-2007, 01:01 PM
What about the NEtherlands and Germany. Neptunus of Rotterdam draws better than some AAA teams and a player for the Calgary Vipers of the Northern League played professionally in Germany last year.

DCNationals
07-08-2007, 01:23 PM
The Mexican league has a salary cap of $100,000 Pesos a month per , which is slightly more then $9K a month. Almost all foreign players earn this ammount, which means that they guy who went to Minatitlan is going to get a nice pay raise. Too bad the season ends in 3 weeks and Minatitlan is not going to the playoffs...

flyersgm
07-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Thanks, Commish - this is good stuff, and I will use it here in OC when people ask about salaries, etc.

Go Flyers!

Ed

DCNationals
07-09-2007, 10:23 AM
What if a player is traded to a foreign leage and does not want to go? What if the Golden League had higher salaries, and traded or sold a player to a league with a salary cap that would force him to take a pay cut? Does the player have any choice in these cases?

Silver Sox Fan
07-09-2007, 11:31 AM
This is an interesting question that I also would like to know the answer too. My understanding (which may be incorrect) is that contracts are only for the league in which the player plays.

So if Reno trades a guy to St. George and he won't go, he will be put on the suspended list (or its equivilant) so he can't sign with anyone else in the league but if he wanted to play in the Northern League or whatever, there would be no prohibition. Because of this, trades between leagues are only part the good relations between the leagues but not really legally enforcable as far as forcing the player to move somewhere and play there. It is quite a bit different than the major leagues since all players in indy ball are considered free agents from their perspective.

In fact, if someone in management wouldn't mind pulling back the curtain, are some trades made for convenience since the player wants to move anyway?

DCNationals
07-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Actually, if he was traded to, say, the Northern league, and refused to go, I think he would have a problem. I believe the contracts are exclusive; once you sign with the GBL, you cannot play for anybody else for the duration of that contract. Were this not the case, MLB would not bother paying the GBL for players, they would just sign them away.
I suppose if he was traded to a foreign league, he could screw up the visa interview or something so the foreign country would deny him entry...

S.Sox
07-09-2007, 04:52 PM
I was under the impression the MLB teams did have to pay the GBL for the signed players..
A good example was last year when Sox catcher Marcus Jensen just detroyed GBL pitchers but was never called upon. Instead the MLB teams took other catchers that were younger with no MLB experience( Kusmic-Chico). I was told the main reason was price, a player like Jensen required more money from the GBL, also his salary was more.
I may has been mislead but the GBL always says"Player contract sold to Oakland A's" for example.
Not sure about this though..
S.Sox

DCNationals
07-09-2007, 04:56 PM
That is what I meant, they do have to pay for the contracts. In other words, the player is not free to just sign with MLB. Which means that if he does not like who he is being sold to, he can't (I think) just go sign with another league.