PDA

View Full Version : A question for all....

RW22
07-06-2007, 01:36 AM
I know I may have seemed to be harsh on a few things..but it is only because I want this league to work....based on THEIR values and designs...I attended my first game in Fullerton (OC) tonight; and was quite struck dumb as to one of the promotions on the field.
I know "we" all have discount beer nights---a great promotion and money maker.
However, tonight during the "mascot vs. kid" race...the hometown mascot stopped at third base and "drank" from a KEG of beer as the kid continued on. The announcer was promoting $1 beer night as this was happening.....

I know the objective is to make money, but is promoting beer the way to do it during a "kids" race the way to do this??? I mean, get an adult out there for goodness sakes----having your mascot "drink" out of a keg???? What was the kid thinking when he crossed home plate?? Where is the mascot---ohhh, out drinking third base?? He stopped to get a cold one??

I really did think the GBL was based on family values...I guess their values aren't what I thought.

Unreal dumb!

Any response from Pleasenton??

RW

ChicoManiac
07-06-2007, 02:50 AM
That is definitely in poor taste....but you should be on the Flyers about it as the league does not own Fullerton/Orange County any longer....Flyers handle their own between innings acts...their GM is a good guy and experienced and has made many excellent posts on this board, he'll probably respond...I have been to every GBL ballpark except St. George and have never seen that type of mascot race, usually Fullerton puts on a great show with a lot of fun entertainment...must be something new and I hope it ends quickly...what next, the mascot stopping for a smoke at second base?

peeaanuut
07-06-2007, 08:01 AM
I do have to agree that that was in poor taste. If there was an adult running I would be ok with it. Send an e-mail to the flyers front office. As ChicoManiac said, they are independant and make alot of their own decisions. Let them know and I am sure something will be worked out.

DawgsBooster2
07-06-2007, 09:03 AM
I'll add in my two cents also and say that I think you should email Ed. He's one of the better guys in all of the GBL and knows his stuff.

FlyerFan
07-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Can't say that I disagree, in fact, I don't like the whole "beer batter" thing which was thrust upon us by the league last year. We have at least changed that to the "beverage" batter. I totally agree that family values are what the league says they promote, in fact part of their vision reads "Our teams will play in fan-friendly facilities that will provide a fun and safe environment for families". I also dislike "fans" who think it's great sport to heckle (bash) the opposing team rather than root for their favorite. I believe this sets a bad example for kids attending. Chico has had one in the past (they refer to him as Super Fan) who frankly ruined the fan experience for me and did not promote a "fan-friendly" environment. I don't know if he is there this year, but I do know in the past that the management in Chico supported his rude behavior. I know this is a differnt thing, but it is one that has gotten under my skin. This guy actually went to our final series in Yuma last year to heckle our team rather than stay home an root for Chico who were playing also... now what kind of a fan is that? Sorry, but I feel better now! :) As far as the "act " last night at Fullerton, do please contact our front office and perhaps they will rethink that bit.

RW22
07-06-2007, 12:52 PM
I appreciate the feedback. Exactly, Maniac---whats next for the almighty $$?
I would have had not much of a problem at all if it had been an ADULT racing the mascot. Besides, do you want your warm and fuzzy "kid loving" Coyote-Bird-Dog (whatever) drinking? Just poor judgement. I will email the GM and share my thoughts with him.
Thanks all!

RW

Pietsch Fan
07-06-2007, 01:00 PM
I also dislike "fans" who think it's great sport to heckle (bash) the opposing team rather than root for their favorite. I believe this sets a bad example for kids attending. Chico has had one in the past (they refer to him as Super Fan) who frankly ruined the fan experience for me and did not promote a "fan-friendly" environment. I don't know if he is there this year, but I do know in the past that the management in Chico supported his rude behavior. I know this is a differnt thing, but it is one that has gotten under my skin. This guy actually went to our final series in Yuma last year to heckle our team rather than stay home an root for Chico who were playing also... now what kind of a fan is that? Sorry, but I feel better now!

I do not understand these guys who feel the need to be the biggest *arse* at the ball field. There is nothing super about them, except for their super need for attention. It seems every league has one, though. The same guy you're talking about stood on the Dawgs side of the stands during the 2005 Championship series. He screamed and hollered and wove a towel above his head the entire game. And it was hot. I seriously was hoping he'd either drop dead of a heart attack or spontaneously combust, both of which were highly likely due to his less than admirable physique.

Mary (I feel better now, too!)

RW22
07-06-2007, 01:13 PM
I am sorry to report to you Mary....it's the SAME guy. "Super Idiot!!"

Silver Sox Fan
07-06-2007, 01:42 PM
I think that guy was me.

Just kidding. I don't care for heckling myself but I have been known to make a comment or two. Nothing too bad. Like the af2 game I went to see in Stockton. The opposing QB had thrown 3 interceptions and the coach decided to do three straight running plays. I told him "Good call on going to the run, coach". Everyone in our section laughed. Of course, it is easier to make smart comments at a football game vice a baseball game considering the mentality of the fans :)

peeaanuut
07-06-2007, 02:15 PM
I think there is heckling and than there is over the top. Having a call for the opposing teams players is one thing, but actually being foul mouthed and rude is another.

Example: We have calls for just about every player we can think of. We dont cuss at them, we dont call them bad names (well accept Hector Zamora(sp?), but its not really a bad name and we will take it in trade for Ar-b-Q). But on the flip side, there are 2 players, 1 each on a different team that we cheer when they come to bat. We have not heard any complaints about any calls that we have and most of them are in favor of our players.

But I do have to say that St George has some pretty rude fans. I heard more cussing, bad name calling and overall bad manners from their fans than anywhere else. (But I have not visited Reno or Chico so I cant say worst in the league becaue I simply dont have all the data).

Heck even the stuff that might be sort of mean we get a laugh from the opposing team. Like the "Left, Left, Left Right Left" march when LB strikes out a batter. Some of the OC guys were actually walking funny to mess up our chant on purpose. They were having fun with it.

So there is going overboard like calling a player a bad name or just completely putting them down (like we heard tons of for Conseco, deservedly of course) and just having a little bit of fun at a players expense. Kind of like yelling at Blue.

FlyerFan
07-06-2007, 03:01 PM
I do agree with you Peeaanuuut and do not have a problem with what Long Beach does, we give it back... like others have noticed the Chico guy is way over the top... he does not swear that I have heard he is just loud and horribly annoying and gets completly personal with the players. He even sits on the "visitors" side so he can be closer to the dugout. Makes me think the real fans don't want him around either. One game it was so bad, the Chico fans were appoligizine for him.... hope he's gone....

peeaanuut
07-06-2007, 04:50 PM
I do have to admit that I did get on some player in the first year for wearing white shoes. It was great. He ended up changing them in the 3rd inning. good times, good times.

RW22
07-06-2007, 09:27 PM
I like the Fullerton/OC- Long Beach rivalry...when I come up to games, it is quite entertaining. No malice, just good 'ol fun. I really enjoy the ARBY_Q chants, that suprsied me last year in Long Beach....Fullerton has done a lot of good; even feeding the road teams at their hotels. (Yuma loved it very much!!)
I dont mind good natured ribbing, but the dude in Chico does get personal and that is wrong. I have not been to St George yet peeaaaaanut...and I am not sure my schedule will allow me there this year. Hopefully its just a "couple" of idiots and their GM will settle them down.

I did send an email to the GM of Flyers today regarding my concerns of the "beer drinking race" and have yet to hear anything in return. I guess I "overreacted"....I know its a touchy subject, you need the sales to help (a ton) make money; but where is the responsibility that goes with it?
We'll see you at the ballpark!
RW

flyersgm
07-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Hey Folks:

I could not agree more - we made a mistake on the Coal Train/Beer thing. I saw it being done, and addressed it immediately. I think what we will do from here on out is have Coal Train tempted by a large, oversized, PEPSI cup as he is rounding third...

The minute I saw the empty keg, and Coal Train "pouring" beer into his oversized dish, my heart sank. That skit is a thing of the past.

I appreciate your input - I usually don't respond - I read it all, and have my opinions on just about everything you guys write, but need to stay quiet, usually. I will say, however, on the subject of the umpires...I know these guys very well, and they are all excellent guys. They have the toughest job in sports...under a microscope, and 50% of the people are always going to disagree with them...who of us in here have the same pressure? I am not going to say they are perfect, and I have been frustrated with their calls, but they are doing their best.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell everyone on here that I respect and appreciate your opinions, and am proud to be associated with the people in the GBL, and especially proud to be with the OC Flyers.

Play Ball!

Ed

aztlgrl
07-10-2007, 12:58 PM
One of the things we do during our mascot race is have two players run out and trip "Stinger". The kids in the stands LOVE it. Secretly I think the players get a kick out of it as well.

Ed you're the bomb man.

As for the rowdy/rude fans, we are in a military town and occasionally we get the groups of marines who just seem to hone in on a guy. I've never seen anyone get overly personal or mean. Just really loud.

While in Long Beach this past weekend, a group of us made our own "runs scored" songs. We started with "Ole ole ole" but found out that Chico does that so we switched to "WHOOMP THERE IT IS!" We got strange looks but it was fun and we made sure we sat on our team's side and as far from the LB fans as we could. The staff, stadium, and fans there were just really great! Even the LB players were amazing. When one of our players was hurt they all came by and checked on him or offered words of encouragement before we took him to the hospital (13 stitches to the face).

I hope that if anyone decides to come to Yuma you let me know so we can get you on the pass list and make sure your experience is just as pleasent.

Heather

RW22
07-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Heather,

Thats EXACTLY the experience you should have at the parks!! Nothing beats rooting for your team in a visiting ballpark, I enjoy being laughed at on the road. It just means we are all having fun and isnt that what heading out to the park for? Glad you had a good time, I have had great experiences in your park every single time I go..continued sucess!
RW

FlyerFan
07-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Ditto here! We have been to several series in Yuma and have had a great time (except for our mascot getting mugged by out of control kids, he got hurt it was serious), and we think of Long Beach as our second home. Chico, as I said before... it would be wonderful less the super fan nut case.