PDA

View Full Version : Big changes in Reno

Silver Sox Fan
07-04-2007, 03:02 AM
Before I write what I intended, Masa Chikazawa was completely destroyed on a play at the plate. He was down for about 15 minutes and had to be taken out on a stretcher. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. And if the league or Sox could put up address for us to send cards or letters to, that would be great. The guy is in a foreign country making very little money and I think he would appreciate the support from the Sox fans.

Anyway, tonight I got an e-mail from the team saying the promotional schedule would be completely revamped, a kids club and a booster club would be added, and there would be more of a focus on the gameday experience. And it said that Curt Jacey, assistant GM, had been promoted to full GM. I didn't see Dwight Dortch at the park so I am not sure where he fits in this equation.

But if anything, I think it is the action many of us wanted (not with Dwight per se but with the marketing and promotions of the team in general). I would consider this a pretty big mid-season shake-up and it will be interesting to see how things go. I am too tired to do justice to a blog entry but I will post one tomorrow. Unfortunately, the Sox blew a lead in the 9th so they lost but I must admit there were a lot of things I saw off the field that I really enjoyed. Again, I'll post all of that later.

Kevin: I planned to meet with you for the first time face to face tonight. I checked at the press box at about 6:40P but Mike Anthony said he hadn't seen you yet. And by the end of the game, my 2-year old son was not too keen on doing anything but going home. But I know you actually are responsive to the fans so even if I can't tell you that face to face, I am completely pleased with our interaction so far!

As always, if there is anything I can do to assist the club, please let me know--free labor is always a benefit in keeping costs down :)

S.Sox
07-04-2007, 04:36 AM
:) Thank goodness for the admin. changes!!!!
We'll see huge changes I'm sure!!
Prayers for Masa to heal quick...
S.Sox

Silver Sox Fan
07-04-2007, 10:28 AM
I just got today's Reno Gazette Journal and it said that Dwight Dortch resigned to "pursue other opportunities". Now we all know what this code for--just not sure if it was his or the leagues decision. whatever the cause, the net result is we get a new GM. Curt Jacey has an excellent resume including 12 years of baseball operations experience with 10 of those as GM of the Bangor and Adirondack Lumberjacks of the Can-Am League. I think he will do a great job as GM and I look forward to the positive changes!

S.Sox
07-04-2007, 12:15 PM
SilverSox Fan,
It probally had to do with two major things!::::

1. He did a TERRIBLE job, the promos/kids club a complete joke!!Didn't communicate with fans

2. He is on the Reno City Council which is pursuing the Triple A franchise..

The bottom line is he was driving Reno into the ground similar to Bash in LB, I look foward to the changes this next week at the park..

Pietsch Fan
07-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Remember guys, starting a booster club and running a booster club are two different things. Down here we had a respectible number of members but we could count on two hands how many were willing and able to help out. It'll be fun, but it'll be hard work.

Good Luck!!!

Mary

peeaanuut
07-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Remember guys, starting a booster club and running a booster club are two different things. Down here we had a respectible number of members but we could count on two hands how many were willing and able to help out. It'll be fun, but it'll be hard work.

Good Luck!!!

Mary

same with us last year and this year. Tons of members, 3 helpers.

I am glad to see the changes being made in Reno. it gives hope for those suffocating in Long Beach. Lets hope the changes stick and you guys have a great season.

FlyerFan
07-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Good luck to you in Reno, we have had a growing number in our booster club each year and surprisingly more and more who are actually will to help. Of course, we feel the club is being appreciated more this year than in the past... (might have to do with the ownership group).... Hope the same holds true for you and things continue to turn around. Keeping good thoughts for you catcher.

Silver Sox Fan
07-04-2007, 02:12 PM
I wish Reno would have kicked off a booster club earlier because now I will look like one of those flaky members...I go on vacation (to Vancouver) in a week and then I have a 2.5 week Army school to attend. When I get back, the season will be down to about a week and a half of games left on the schedule (minus playoffs). So if I join, it will seem like I am never around. Darn.

Silver Sox Fan
07-11-2007, 12:37 PM
My experience has been that the Silver Sox do not answer e-mail so I thought I would post this here since S.Sox mentioned roster issues in another post. Hopefully somebody from the Sox is reading it.

For reference, here is what the Sox announced on July 3rd:

http://www.goldenbaseball.com/reno/ArDisplay.aspx?ID=3452&SecID=656

I think it shows reno is moving in the right direction but these issues are still open.

ROSTER ISSUES:

-- Clicking on Joe Melton still brings up Jordan Devoir

-- Chikazawa's first name is listed as Mashai. Unless we everyone was wrong last year or he changed his name, it should be Masashi. The sortened version of "Masa" is also acceptable

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/C/Masashi-Chikazawa.shtml

-- As S.Sox said, clicking on Juan Senreiso doesn't bring up his information.

-- And pictures have not been updated since the start of the season so with the turnover, only half the team has a picture for their bio. You can borrow my digital camera if you like :)

PROMOTIONS:

-- The promotions page still has not been updated since you added the Famous Chicken. This was BEFORE the announcement of a revamped promotions schedule. Though all of the new promotions may not be complete yet, even the ones you did announce (Election Night, Bring your Mother in Law night, etc) are not on there. So if someone didn't see that announcement over a week ago, they wouldn't know they are coming.

And, sorry if this sounds negative, but what was going on all off season? I know the Commish said corporate sponsorship was up and I know the Sox announced last week a re-vamped promotions schedule but why do other league owned team (Chico and Long Beach) have these promotions schedules:

http://www.goldenbaseball.com/chico/subcontent.aspx?SecID=628

http://www.goldenbaseball.com/LongBeach/subcontent.aspx?SecID=480

While we have this?

http://www.silversoxbaseball.com/subcontent.aspx?SecID=718

Night and day differences. Hopefully the revamped schedule will look similar to theirs and the other teams.

KIDS CLUB:

-- The kids club link still does does not produce any information other than "Nugget is looking forward to the 2007 season" which is now a month and a half complete. Again, this was listed in the press release over a week ago with no no info. Suggest you at least re-write the verbage to "Kids Club coming soon--please keep checking back for details"

Again, things are moving forward so i hope you guys keep up the momentum. We are quickly approaching the half way point of the season so time is running out to make corrections this year.

And to Curt and the re-tooled staff, best of luck. I have all the confidence that you will do great things.

S.Sox
07-11-2007, 01:08 PM
SS Fan,
I try not to be negative either, but as I look around the GBL and other Indy leagues this is a JOKE!
The Silversox admin. could care less about the fans, kids, website, players, or GBL as far as I'm concerned. I have tried to communicate with the admin. via email with no luck..
S.Sox

S.Sox
07-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Well it has been a couple of weeks,
I must say things are looking VERY good in Reno. We seem to get almost daily "Silver Scoop" emails with great information.

We are getting news about NEW promos and player updates...Thanks!

S.Sox

RW22
07-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Glad to hear that S.Sox!!!! I spoke with the Commish yesterday for a fairly extended amount of time and I came away with a much better feeling about what they are trying to accomplish! By the way, classic "oh and congrats to Chico" line---like someone forced you to type it!! LMAO

peeaanuut
07-17-2007, 01:15 PM
glad things are picking up over there. I am liking getting the daily updates from the teams that provide them. Great communication on their part.

RW22
07-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Im glad to hear that--it seems as if we might have helped ourselves a bit here! We are so much less noisy when we have some details...lol

now...Go Reno!!

One of many
07-18-2007, 09:00 AM
AAA is coming to Reno and you all should be thrilled to say goodbye to the GBL.
The stuff in Reno is not Dwight's fault. Do yourselves a favor; run don't walk to the Reno AAA team and watch as the GBL leaves Reno with vendors chasing unpaid bills.

S.Sox
07-18-2007, 11:47 AM
One of Many,
I have been one of the out spoken people on this board regarding the GBL problems in Reno. Things are much better since "Dwight" has left, one thing "Dwight" NEVER did was return emails!!!!!or phone call for that m atter I must have emailed him 20 times with NO response!!

Anyway, my family and I really enjoy the SS games.. We hope they find thier niche and stay in Reno. It's good fairly inexpensive entertainment.

The AAA team is going to be expensive, parking, tickets, vendors, and thier saying downtown Reno for a stadium.. NO THANKS... I don't take my kids into that nasty area.
S.Sox