PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call

Silver Sox Fan
07-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Just to take a break from some of the "heavier" conversations, I thought I'd take a quick roll call. I figured it would be a good way to see who posts on this board, what their background is, etc.--this might help alleviate some of the miscommunication as well. So if you are game, post your answers to the following questions. You don't have to answer all of them since we do live in a crazy world so just what you are comfortable with.

Hometown:

Years in Occupation/Industry:

Favorite GBL Team:

Favorite MLB Team:

If you were commissioner for a day, the one thing you would fix:

I'll start.

Hometown: "The Army"; I grew up in Rancho Cucamonga, CA and joined the Army after college; since then we have lived in Oklahoma, Louisiana, Maryland, and Nevada. I also lived in Bosnia for a year and Kuwait and Hungary for a few months.

Year in Occupation/Industry: 12

Favorite GBL Team: Japan Samurai Bears (ok, the Sox really)

Favorite MLB Team: Arizona Diamondbacks and Baltimore Orioles

If you were commissioner for a day, the one thing you would fix: Commo with the fans. I would have all fan e-mails sent to the team answered within 5 business days (even if it was a canned response), frequently updated websites using latest web tools, and a weekly 15-minute podcast by the commissioner talking about action around the league and how some of their guys sold to MLB are doing.

RW22
07-03-2007, 03:40 PM
OK, I am game---to a degree

Hometown: Southern California

Year in Occupation/Industry: 21

Favorite GBL Team: Yuma and OC

Favorite MLB Team: Chicago Cubs

Is this possible??? LOL!! Do they dare let us take over??? OK--- communication seems to be one of the main firing brands out there. Customer service and were "we" not supposed to have some kind of reading programs for all teams? I think Yuma is the only one that has intergrated one. More local community development is another area of concern. The OC only seems to send people out as a way to sell tickets, not to be a "partner" in the community. Show people a good time, and they will return...I dont think I can instill that one in one day.....

RW22
07-03-2007, 03:41 PM
and world peace......LOL

Pietsch Fan
07-03-2007, 03:41 PM
First off, thank you for your service. It is much appreciated.

Okay, so here's the boring what's what about me.

Age: 43, oops, 42, birthday isn't for another month. I'm probably the only woman you'll ever meet that always increases instead of decreases her age.

Hometown: San Diego. Born and raised and hopefully die.

Year in Occupation/Industry: 24 years in construction related management of some sort or another. 7 years with a cabinet manufacturer, 14 years running a garage door company and now 3 years with a general contractor specializing in rehabs and remodels.

Favorite GBL Team: Past, Surf Dawgs, Present it's gotta be the Flyers because they have Goodie. But I'm a huge fan of Blair Field.

Favorite MLB Team: Padres, of course, Dodgers suck.

If you were commissioner for a day, the one thing you would fix: I would make sure that the people who ran my baseball teams were baseball fans as well as competant leaders and they would know how to listen as well as they talk. And since I'm a woman I would be able to weed out the bull$hitter$ right away. Most of you guys are way too impressed with what someone says rather than the vibe you get from them. :infun:

So, that's me.

Mary

RW22
07-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Very well put, Commissioner Mary!!!

DawgsBooster2
07-03-2007, 04:25 PM

Hometown: San Diego, CA

Occupation: Um. My business card says: Student Services/Billing Supervisor (what it doesn't say, which it should, is Professional Internet Surfer... I work for the State)

Years in Occupation/Industry: 9

Favorite GBL Team: Surf Dawgs when they were around. I don't have a next favorite. I like the remaining teams the same. Now my tie breaker is the stadium, the fans and the staff.

Favorite MLB Team: Padres, Dodgers suck

If you were commissioner for a day, the one thing you would fix: I'd do the "free" stuff better. A reading club and/or Kids Club would be one of the first things. I'd have an intern assigned to getting Little Leagues and Pony leagues and Bobby Sox leagues and travel teams out to games en masse.

You give each child one free ticket and a coupon for one free pop corn... someone has to bring the kid to the game... that's where you make back your money.

Also, I'd work on updating the sites in a timely manner.

Commish we all know your job is a freakin' hard one and your feet can't be held to the fire for everything...thanks for what we know you do...and thanks even more for the things you do that we don't know about.

Oh and I put free in quotes because I know that it wouldn't be truly free, but it's as close to free as you can get.

heavesrock
07-03-2007, 04:30 PM

Hometown: Currently in Tucson, recently in Vermont

Years in Occupation/Industry: just starting

Favorite GBL Team: Yuma

Favorite MLB Team: Arizona

If you were commissioner for a day, the one thing you would fix: Too much for one Day. Probably just market the teams a lot. Create new ways to bring in fans.

Silver Sox Fan
07-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the posts so far! It is obvious there is a lot of life and occupational experience on this board. I think the comments on your tenure as commish for a day are all excellent as well and definitely reflect that level of experience. I also hopes this further validates some of our comments on this board to all those who read it. We are not just passionate sports fans but also accomplished professionals who have seen what works and what doesn't in the business world.

Pietsch Fan
07-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the posts so far! It is obvious there is a lot of life and occupational experience on this board. I think the comments on your tenure as commish for a day are all excellent as well and definitely reflect that level of experience. I also hopes this further validates some of our comments on this board to all those who read it. We are not just passionate sports fans but also accomplished professionals who have seen what works and what doesn't in the business world.

I think that's what's best about this kind of forum. Most people who take the time to post not only have a passion for baseball, but ideas and imput based on real life experience that can improve the GBL. Whether we are pissing and moaning or eloquently offering suggestions, the GBL would be well served to pay attention to what's being said here and think to themselves, if "A" is what's really bugging people we should start paying more attention to "A". I know the Commish is open to suggestions and does what he can, but he's only one guy.

Mary

aztlgrl
07-03-2007, 05:32 PM

Hometown: Yuma, AZ

Occupation: Dir. of Marketing, Media, and Player Relations for Yuma Scorpions

Years in Occupation/Industry: so far just under a year

Favorite GBL Team: Um yeah...Yuma Scorpions

Favorite MLB Team: Diamondbacks but I'm kinda diggin San Fran

If you were commissioner for a day, the one thing you would fix: I must admit I laughed out load when I read Mary's response. However I agree that communication is HUGE. Really listen to what's being said but again too much for one day. I don't envy the commish at all.

Mulcahy
07-04-2007, 01:58 AM

Hometown: Reno

Years in Occupation/Industry: Endless it seems

Favorite GBL Team: Reno

Favorite MLB Team: Pirates, but my alltime favorite team is the Nevada Wolf Pack

If you were commissioner for a day, the one thing you would fix: GameTracker!

DawgsBooster2
07-04-2007, 09:55 AM
If you were commissioner for a day, the one thing you would fix: GameTracker!

Oooo. Good call Mulcahy.

sandiegopaul
07-04-2007, 11:45 AM
Well, unimpressive as it may be:

Hometown: San Diego

Yrs in Occ: Too Many

Favorite GBL Team: San Diego Surf Dawgs (they are on sabbatical presently and will return soon!)

Favorite MLB Team: None; I don't care for the MLBers! (many years ago I followed the Tigers as I was born and raised in Detroit)

If I was GBL Comm: First of all, I would thank Kevin for the fine job he is doing. (I really wouldn't want the job.) If you insist, I would spend time at every GBL stadium and do nothing but talk with the fans; listen to their solicited ideas; then bring them back to Pleasenton and put into action every idea that is reasonable and affordable. In short: LISTEN, LISTEN, LISTEN TO THE FANS. (Without the fans, there is no game in town!)

JPotter
07-04-2007, 03:33 PM

Hometown: CYpress, CA - but currently from St. George, UT

Years in Occupation/Industry: 3+ as a "semi"-professional broadcaster

Favorite GBL Team: RoadRunners (in 2005, it was the Mesa Miners)

Favorite MLB Team: Los Angeles Dodgers

If you were commissioner for a day, the one thing you would fix: Give the St. George broadcaster a HUGE raise. But truthfully, increase radio and television promotion for every team.

Silver Sox Fan
07-25-2007, 01:29 PM
With so many new posters on this board, maybe it is time for this again. Here was the request from the first post:

Just to take a break from some of the "heavier" conversations, I thought I'd take a quick roll call. I figured it would be a good way to see who posts on this board, what their background is, etc.--this might help alleviate some of the miscommunication as well. So if you are game, post your answers to the following questions. You don't have to answer all of them since we do live in a crazy world so just what you are comfortable with.

Hometown:

Years in Occupation/Industry:

Favorite GBL Team:

Favorite MLB Team:

Baseball Dad
07-25-2007, 02:57 PM

Hometown: Long Beach (1st 40), all over the last 11

Years in Occupation/Industry: alot

Favorite GBL Team: L.B. Armada

Favorite MLB Team: Dodgers & Angels (Padres & Giants Suck)

If you were commissioner for a day, the one thing you would fix: The website & information updating. I'd also give the players a huge raise. ;)

Pietsch Fan
07-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Favorite MLB Team: Dodgers & Angels (Padres & Giants Suck)

OH, my heart. And here I was thinking you were one of the good guys. :)

Mary

amazingdv
07-25-2007, 03:57 PM

Hometown: Brentwood

Years in Occupation/Industry: 8 years / 35 years

Favorite GBL Team: None, waiting for one closer to home.

Favorite MLB Team: Giants!

This is a tough to make it short. Indy baseball leagues have been trying to "make it" the old fashion way. Keep costs low and attract fans with the idea of baseball is being played and its fun to come out to the ball game. For the serious fans that is good enough for us. Today's owners try to cater to the casual fan with baseball park extras, which will get them in there once or twice but how to get them to keep coming? Do they really care what happened on the field?
As commish I would make changes geared towards creating stronger competition on the field. Get the players and managers to play the game like it is going to be their last on any given day (or night). I have a few ideas in mind if the real commish wishes to discuss them he can contact me.
When the casual fan comes to the game and feels there is something at stake either for their team's advancement or players personal monetary gain they may just have a little more interest in that game and keep coming back.

Danny

Behind Home Plate in LB
07-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Hometown: Long Beach
Wife, 2 sons and a beautiful daughter. Also, 2 dogs and a cat.
Team: Armada
If I was in charge: Fix Long Beach before it's too late. Bring back Dave, Jay, Phil and Ashley. I met them over the winter at the monthly Advisory Board meetings and I was impressed with their ideas. They seemed to care and listen to the fans ( season ticket holders )
Also, raise the players pay and equal out the home and away schedule.

Baseball Dad
07-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Sorry Mary, I just had to respond to y'all. I am one of the good guys though.

flyersgm
07-25-2007, 04:59 PM

Hometown: Fullerton, CA

Year in Occupation/Industry: GM - 3 years; Author 15 years

Favorite GBL Team: Flyers, baby!!

Favorite MLB Team: Dodgers

I would make sure the umpires are Flyers fans! Seems like they like everyone BUT the Flyers! :-)

JoesFan
07-25-2007, 06:30 PM

Hometown: Anderson, SC

Years in Occupation/Industry: 20

Favorite GBL Team: Actually I'm a SOUTH COAST LEAGUE fan, but I guess it would be CHICO in the GBL since we stole Desi Wilson from you.

Favorite MLB Team: Atlanta Braves, Cincy Reds, Detroit Tigers (in that order)

If you were commissioner for a day, the one thing you would fix: Hire more people like GBLCOMMISH :) I wish we had someone from the league office in the SCL who would take the time to visit a forum like this and answer questions like Kevin does for the GBL. (Not that I'm complaining, I know the SCL is busy, this being a "startup season" and all - Heck it must be a full-time job just keeping track of Wally Backman's suspensions...)

JoesFan

Silver Sox Fan
07-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Joes fan: Can you believe the Arizona Diamondbacks actually hired him as their manager (of the big league club!) until firing him later when they found out about his run-ins with the law. Wow!

And, I'll say it again, as more people post in this roll call, it is neat to see the maturity of this board. I definitely is something that keeps me coming back to check in and post.

JoesFan
07-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Joes fan: Can you believe the Arizona Diamondbacks actually hired him as their manager (of the big league club!) until firing him later when they found out about his run-ins with the law. Wow!

Strange but true. WB has been suspended for a total of 14 games this season. That doesn't even count the games he's been tossed out by the guys in blue... He sure has an eye for talent though. He'd be a good scout/recruiter for someone.

RW22
07-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Sorry Commish Ed.... I would think that you would want the umpires to be impartial and fair to EVERY team. Would that not make the league balanced? I know umpires have bad nights, but it usually split between the two teams. You learn a strike zone over the game and the good hitters and pitchers will adjust to it. Do you get completely screwed by one every now and again?? yes! It is how you handle the adversity of those calls that makes the imprint of your team. I think everyone who is familiar with the GBL this year will agree that the umpiring is down a bit. Does that justify 4 ejections by your squad in a 3 game stretch? Frustration is part of the game, but so is being a "professional". The umpires are human, mistakes happen, but make sure your team does not lose focus due to an officials call....it happens league wide.

flyersgm
07-25-2007, 09:00 PM
RW - did you not see the sarcasm in my comments? OBVIOUSLY I would never want an umpire to call things one way...it was clearly a joke, and I can't believe anyone would see it any other way...

RW22
07-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Yes, I have a great sense of humor. After seeing 4 ejections in 3 games last week (not including your mascot); I do not see where the "humor" factor should come in. Are you not concerned about this trend? As a senior GBL representative, should you not know that umpiring is a sore subject this year? Why would you make a comment that would fuel the fire further?
The question was asked: "If you were GBL commish for a day what would you do?" You belittle the GBL to say that "you want umpires to be my friends" (my words, not yours). You think that little of the league that you work for? Is there not ONE thing that you might want to make better? "I want better hot dogs" would have been a more appropriate response! I will repeat what alot of us have said here, we are NOT IDIOTS!
YOU represent this league with everything you say, trying to be funny should be left up to the Irvine Improv. I respect your position in the GBL, but I would also respectfully ask that you restate that answear with one that the fans would like to hear. Let us know what ONE thing that really lets us know that you would change. I know you are hamstrung from up North, but if YOU could do one thing---what would it be??

Silver Sox Fan
07-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Not to start a flame war but since I started this thread, I thought I'd say that you need to lighten up a bit, RW22. If you read many of the responses, some are tongue in cheek and that is fine. If people don't want to respond with more than that, I think it is fine. I think you took it a tad too seriously. Just my two cents as you seem to see it differently.

The point is just for us to get to know the others on this board...their age, job, favorite teams, etc. so we can see everyones experience level, bias, etc. when they post and hopefully avoid people taking things the wrong way knowing that stuff.

Wow, I tried to make it a place to avoid serious and/or heated discussion :p

DawgsBooster2
07-25-2007, 11:02 PM
RW, 99% of the time I totally get where you're coming from, even if I don't agree, but that 1% of the time... LOL *shrug* :confused:

I think that we all got the "joke". I mean, really, who would want the Blues literally on their side like that? :infun:

What a horrible thing it would be if, just because he's a GM, he couldn't be himself.

RW22
07-25-2007, 11:14 PM
did not want to "inflame" the spirit here---this was a very good thread to let the GBL know that we are real people with real issues in our towns...
it was just disappointing to hear a GM give a "glib" response to the question at hand. I would think that someone who depends on "us" as his customers would take two minutes to think about what he writes. It may have been a "flip" comment, but those of us that take the time to help make this a better league deserve better. Again, probably a wrong thread-but it was only in response to his direct answears.
The bottom line is, is the umpiring the worst thing we have going in this league? If it is, I am quite fine with life. When we answear the question, we do it with our guts and our feelings. Ed answeared it like we are 10 year olds...ha ha---we get the "eye chart joke"....completely juvenile...
Just once i would love to have all the GMs answear questions, to the best of their ability---right or wrong, at least we would know where they stand

Sorry to screw up the sentiment of this thread---continue it!!!! Sign on board and let us all know who you are!!!!!

RW22
07-25-2007, 11:29 PM
I do understand where I may come off as crass on this (was writing repost as I was receiving)...but even if it was meant to be funny--Ed has not come across that way here. He has been contradictory and evasive here, something that he has admitted. That said, he admitted that fault and I think we have moved on. I do have a problem with him now trying to "buddy up" with the group that is here. he is now responsive--good, we all know that he reads this information now--good, we dont know how he transforms this into daily operation--no problems. I do have a problem with him belittling GBL officials. Umpires, trainers, bus drivers---does it make a difference? It may have been tongue in cheek--and ya'll know I do it..but I AM NOT A GENERAL MANAGER of a PROFESSIONAL BASEBALL TEAM!!!!!!
I am just saying that there were so many more options that he could have used without going to a Game Day reference...
how about " I would make it free to park at CSUF during weekday games!!'?
Much less inflammitory, not practical (LOL), but at least it does not deal with on field issues....which is exactly what THIS thread was supposed to avoid!
again...sorry
RW

flyersgm
07-26-2007, 01:01 AM
If I were the Commissioner...

1. All Star Game - how can we have a season without an All Star Game? I know it is financial, and due to tough schedules, but it CAN work, and should have this season, and in 2005.

2. Get rid of unbalanced schedule - We are 46 games into the season, and have not played Reno yet - we play 38 home and 38 away, while Chico playes 45 home and 31 away. We play them 15 times, 11 up there, and 4 down here...is that fair if we are in a pennant race?

3. 3 umpires. I know there are 2 umps in other leagues, but those are leagues with umps working their way up, not down. No offense to the umpires in this league, but there is a reason that all players and umpires are in this league - some are here because they were overlooked, and others because they had their chance...put a crew chief with every three-man crew to make things a little bit better. We had a three-man crew in OC one night last week, and it was a noticeable difference.

I could probably think of several more ideas, just as all of you could, but I think Kevin does an outstanding job, and I am a big supporter, and friend, of his. All things considered, he does an excellent job. The things I listed above are all things he and I have discussed, as recently as two days ago...

Yes, my response earlier was meant to be "toungue in cheek" (I like to smile, laugh, and make others smile and laugh), and most of you get that, but giving RW a serious answer is the least I can do.

I am not hamstrung by the folks up north, by the way...I am completely honest with the GBL, and with my new owners about everything...at the end of the day, it is the man in the glass staring back at me that I need to look in the eye - not the GBL, not my boss, and not anyone in here...

I am VERY proud of the things we have accomplsihed in OC over the past three seasons, and if this is my last season, I will leave with pride...if it is the third of thirty years, I will take what I have learned and make year 4 even better!

Thanks!

Ed

flyersgm
07-26-2007, 01:28 AM
Parking at CSUF is not a Commissioner thing...it is run by CSUF...we have no say.

I did not belittle any umpires...it was TONGUE IN CHEEK - I know these guys personally, and llike them - if they saw my comment, they would laugh. Hell, I even told a joke about the umps during our 5th inning funnies that made fun of them, in our stadium, and they both laughed...they know me, and I know them...they hav a very tough job...

The only bus driver I have belittled was a guy that all teams in the league called "suicide______" (not gonna put his name). We all felt it was suicide to get on the bus with this guy driving. Not sure where the "belittling umpires and trainers" comment stems from...have I said negative things about Trainers?

You know what, RW, I am not trying to buddy up to anyone. I have a job to do, and I just felt that opening up in this room was a good idea - it would give all of you another person besides the Commish to ask questions, share ideas, etc. (Get a GM's perspective). Maybe I am wrong, and should stay out...I don't know...

I did not know this thread was supposed to avoid humor...

Ed

flyersgm
07-26-2007, 01:36 AM
Where is that You Tube Video...I need to have it destroyed!!!

RW22
07-26-2007, 03:37 AM
Ed--
THAT WAS AN UNREAL RESPONSE!!!
If I was the one that got under your skin..although it might have ticked you off-----what a great response. I am not sure we'll hear another one of its kind this year! I respect it because it was true and completely from the heart.
I know that OC is "private" now---but how would it be if you could sit down and discuss some of the issues here; then---discuss them league wide? I mean, if we can discuss them here???

On the side note--and this is only for Ed--- i do not want any responses to this----the "bus driver"....done--i did not even think of that reference--

and.....I, appreciate your candor.....I know BS from just bull--your lengthy post tonight tells me that you do look--you do read, and I know you care--so you dont get credit for that one tonight

If every GM talked to fans...we would b better off...