PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE improve communication on the websites

Silver Sox Fan
07-02-2007, 08:30 PM
OPEN COMMENTS TO ANY SILVER SOX OR LEAGUE OFFICIALS OTHER THAN OUR COMMISSIONER:

I wrote a post about the lack of info on player movement but the problem still exists. I know there is some negativity on this board on issues from mismanagement to lack of promotions. I try to be as positive as possible about the GBL and the Sox but this is the one issue that really bothers me and detracts from my enjoyment of the team.

For the Sox in the past few days Travis Tully has been traded, Devoir and Scott put on the inactive list, Plouffe was released, and four new players were acquired yet there is not one press release or e-mail to even mention that--nothing on extent of injuries, why Tully was traded, who these new guys are and what they bring to the team, manager or GM comments on the transactions, etc. All we get from the Sox is a reminder about a 4th of July sale on items for defunct teams in the GBL.

I don't think we should have to e-mail the commissioner or post questions to him on this board to get what should be basic info for our team. If I were to just show up on TUE for a game, the line-up is almost completely different from last week. Player movement is expected in an Indy league but not having any info about it is not. I respect these kids for still trying to make a go of it in pro baseball. This lack of info disrespects all they have done for the fans' enjoyment as if they are just disposable players who don't even warrant an explanation on their situation. And it direspects the fans who try to follow the team and support the players. Players are the face of the team and, as the league continues to validate their level of play through contracts sold, the GBL as well. When this amount of player movement occurs with no info, it says to me the team doesn't care what the fans think or doesn't think they'll even notice the faces have changed on the field.

There is no nice way to say this--whoever does the website for the Sox needs to be replaced with someone who understands and likes baseball and is actually willing to put in some decent effort on maintaining it. I'm not talking about Ben Deach and his game reports...those are great. I am talking about all the other aspects of what fans have a right to expect in terms of infomation from the team they support. Rosters also are an issue--updated well after the fact and links that don't work--Joe Melton (is that correct or is the transaction/box score page right that says Joe Milton) brings up a page that says Justin Devoir and list his birthdate as 1/1/1900--come on!!! Clicking on Ryan Brown brings up Travis Tully and Juan Senreiso isn't even listed even though he was acquired before Ryan Brown who is.

How is it that I can keep an updated roster with stats (if they exist on baseball cube) in as little as 10 minutes a day but some full time staff member can't? I hate to say this, but it makes the team seem bush league compared to other indy leagues. Other indy leagues, not to mention the affiliated leagues, give frequent updates on their player movement. Please check these sites out for what I and many others would consider the minimum standard. If I didn't read it on the transaction link, I never would have known about it. That is unacceptable.

S.Sox
07-03-2007, 02:24 AM
Silver Sox Fan I could not agree with you more!! The Sox website is a joke!Went to the game tonight and saw many new players!!!
The between inning promotiones were better tonight, they actually have a new mascot "slugger"... he and "nugget" were a hit for the kids!!
Back to your post, I just plain'ol given up on the admin. fixing any problems!!
I decided to just enjoy the baseball so I don't get frustrated!
S.Sox
Ps... 7 errors tonight! but they Won!

GBLCommish
07-03-2007, 02:34 AM
Keith and S.Sox,

I'll be at the Reno game tomorrow (July 3rd) and would love to have a few minutes to chat with both of you. I'll be in the area behind home plate -- if either of you have a few minutes to break away, just come up to the press box and ask for me and they'll point me out -- it should be pretty big crowd, and I'm bringing 14 of my family to do my part.

Best Regards,
Kevin

RW22
07-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Hey Commish... not to be too smart here---but of the 14 yu are bringing.....can any of them maintain a website??
I completely agree with the posters, the GBL is more than willing to toot its own horn when a player gets his contract bought by an MLB team. I am not a big stats guy, but when looking for a score-why do I have to wait until the following day to find one on the GBL website? Does it no behoove you to make sure that that GBL website is maintained BETTER than the team ones? Thus eliminating the "oops, the team level failed" excuse! I would think that getting scores, transactions and other worthy league info would be priority number one. If the teams wont do it on time, why is it that you guys cant?
There is no excuse for a legitimate league to not post scores immediately after games are complete. According to the bios on the website, most of you are computer whizzzes---why is this so hard. Better yet, why should we even be talking about this? Indy ball is bush, and you guys seem to be bringing it to a new depth! All these posts are not talking about the kids, who deserve all the attention and credit---they talk about mismanagement. When do you finally get a clue, step back and say--ooops....lets try this again??
You have a great product, with good kids---try and focus on them for a change!

Mulcahy
07-03-2007, 02:04 PM
I think if teams used GameTracker or LiveStats at the games it would make it so much easier and faster to find out the scores from around the league. How much does it cost to use either of the two programs?

RW22
07-03-2007, 03:14 PM
You hit the keyword...."cost"! It would be good if they could use those resources, but unless they worked out some kind of trade out-they wont do it. I just find it hard to figure out why it is so difficult to have someone update the website after every game has been concluded. I mean, we can wait for the complete box scores, but if you are out all night and have the "jones" to find out how your team did---would it not make sense to have the scores posted?
All in the vein of "fan interest"...it costs them nothing, and yet would keep fans interested/motivated and traffic building on their websites. Isnt that what ownership would be striving for? It's pretty funny that we need to discuss this at all!

peeaanuut
07-03-2007, 03:19 PM
posting a score minus the box score should be a permanent fixture on each teams site. Put the last score and the team you played. Everything else can be added later. It would only take about 2 minutes and can be done when a staffer is writing up a team story for the site. Its those little things, that are quite simple to maintain that will go a long way with pleasing fans.

DawgsBooster2
07-03-2007, 04:19 PM
posting a score minus the box score should be a permanent fixture on each teams site. Put the last score and the team you played. Everything else can be added later. It would only take about 2 minutes and can be done when a staffer is writing up a team story for the site. Its those little things, that are quite simple to maintain that will go a long way with pleasing fans.

I agree Peeaanuut.

My son's *Little League* has the scores and pitching/hitting highlights up the same night as the game is played. Ok, someone out there is laughing and is thinking that I can't compare Little League to the GBL, and that person would be right.

Because the GBL has 6 teams while our Little League has 23 teams.

Silver Sox Fan
07-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Ok, someone out there is laughing and is thinking that I can't compare Little League to the GBL, and that person would be right.

Because the GBL has 6 teams while our Little League has 23 teams.

I'm laughing but more because of the last line than the first! Priceless.

And, Kevin, I'll definitely drop by the booth tonight to look you up. It would be nice to put a face to a name. I'll probably show up at the park around 6:30P.

RW22
07-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Dawgs.....that was one of the more entertaining things I have read in a long time.....
the sad part is, that your kids Little League is more effectivly than a "professional" league...
I wonder if Commish can spin your line into something of value???

truely priceless!!:p

Silver Sox Fan
07-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Speaking of player movement tracking, take a look at St. George's "short takes" section. They put out info on transactions as they occur with exactly the right amount of information--who the guy is, where he has played, what his stats were and they explain the injuries to guys that are put on the inactive list. I wish EVERY team would do that. It is too easy and it keeps the fans connected to the team.

Just look at the people who follow particular players on this board alone. How would Mary feel if she went to a game, Goodman wasn't there, and after looking at the transactions, it said "July 4th: Scott Goodman released"? The fans deserve explanations and we deserve to have official websites give us that information. We all gravitate to a particular player or two due to their skill, their attitude with the fans, a shared college or hometown, etc.

And, S. Sox, thanks for the comment on my blog about J.J. Johnson. Perfect example...why are we wondering when he will be back? He was the guy Les Lancaster was highest on coming into the season calling him a true 5-tool player. Yet, we have had no updates on him or the other roster moves made in the past few weeks.

Curt, as new GM of the Silver Sox, I hope you will fix this once and for all. It takes just minutes to update the site. But the rewards are great in building player loyalty which in turn builds team loyalty.

padsfan2
07-04-2007, 01:39 PM
This has been a super weakness fron the first time it was posted. You would thing that after 2+ years they would figure it out. Just goes along with everything else GBL doesn't care about.

Pietsch Fan
07-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Not that it helps, but I'm following a certain player in the American Association (his name escapes me at the moment :infun: ) and I can tell you his team site (www.saltdogs.com) is as poorly updated as the GBL teams. In fact, I was following a player in the Frontier League, too, and his team site sucked, too. I'm of the opinion that if you don't want to keep a web site completely up to date, don't have a web site.

Mary

Silver Sox Fan
07-04-2007, 01:57 PM
I agree with both of your comments. The funny thing is they have all these interns who work at the park during the season. Most are college age kids or slightly younger. How many do myspace or facebook? They are on the web constantly and can navigate computer programs and web tools with ease. Why not get all the changes together and have one of them do it for 15 minutes a day? It can start as simple data entry and let them expand from there. If I can look up stats on Baseball Cube so can they. And, I assume, they probably have even more indepth info than I do considering they are part of an organization that is going to equip and pay the player. Again, this is just too easy to not be done.

peeaanuut
07-04-2007, 05:26 PM
I do have to say one thing in defense of the teams. Their site design is so bad. The backend "data management" that was built is so horrible it takes more than 15 minutes to just navigate to put up a story. I have seen it in action and I have to tell you, it is the worst site management I have ever seen. Its written in a language that has been out of developement for 2 years. They should be using SQL and PHP. You can do anything easily with that combination. A little bit of stylesheets thrown in and you can have themed pages for special games, etc.

Silver Sox Fan
07-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Good point, Peeaanuut. Hopefully they invest a little on what can be an effective marketing tool.

I thought I would report that the Sox finally did exactly what I asked for though I won't be so vain as to assume it was in response to anything I wrote. Rather, Curt Jacey deserves the credit and we are seeing his changes already with the help of the added resources the Commish promised Reno. I hope we see more of the following:

Silver Sox add two new players
The Reno Silver Sox have added to new players to try and help with the string of injuries that keep affecting the team.

Maurice Cole, a native of Meridian, MS, was a record setting second baseman for the Trevecca Nazerne University Trojans. Cole set several records for the Trojans this year; triples in a season (10) and hits in a season (100). Cole was also a second team NAIA All-American selection, the Region XI Player of the Year, a member of the All Region XI team, the TranSouth Player of the Year, and a selection for the All TranSouth first team. In this past season for the Trojans, Cole had a .400 batting average, 22 doubles, ten triples, one homerun, 44 RBIs, and 18 stolen bases.

Ryan Kowalski, a native of San Diego, CA, just finished his college career playing for the UNLV Rebels as an outfielder. In this past season for the rebels, Kowalski had a .336 batting average, 14 doubles, two triples, one homerun, 17 stolen bases, and 41 RBIs.

S.Sox
07-05-2007, 03:50 AM
Ya your right Silversox fan... but don't forget on the Silversox website under the "roster" area they have Dusty Bergman as residing in
Casron City, Colorado... I could have sworn he was from Carson City, Nevada!!!!
S.Sox:confused: