PDA

View Full Version : New Start-Up Minor League Baseball

South Atlantic
06-13-2004, 06:41 AM
I was curious to what the initial investment to start up an independent minor league baseball league was? I am a huge basketball and baseball fan and have watched the basketball minor leagues wash up and never get going because they dont have any capital. Then they have tryouts, charge an arm and a leg, have no season, but not refunding the money either. So since baseball has been successful for the most part, how much is the average they put up to see their league succeed?

We have recently established an elite high school baseball league called Atlantic Coast Baseball (www.atlantic-coast-baseball.com). We wont begin play until June 2005 but I know what our budget is and did enough analysis to feel good about the success we will have. Thanks.

Ken, Steelheads fan
06-14-2004, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I know. I'm on this board too--especially during the summer. My name should be Ken, Railcats fan during baseball season.

I posted a link to a magazine article on the old OSC boards that detailed the costs associated with some of the more established minor and independent baseball leagues. The article was very informative because it also detailed the various ways teams raise revenue, market, and keep fans coming back for more.

Yeah, okay. Found it! Title: So You Want to Own a Minor League Baseball Team

http://www.forbes.com/fyi/2003/0915/082.html

South Atlantic
06-15-2004, 07:27 AM
Ken

I remember reading the link from the basketball website and printing it. If you get a chance take a look at our website (albeit temporary) and give me some feedback. You are about the only one that makes sense on the basketball boards when it comes to comments. Too many know it alls or airheads. www.atlantic-coast-baseball.com

Jason

oldschool
06-15-2004, 05:15 PM
If you really want to find out how some independent leagues have made it
while most have failed, you should get a copy of the book "The History of
Independent Baseball Leagues 1993-2002", by David Kemp and Miles Wolff. Its published by the Mariah Press, and should be available at a local bookstore. It would give you some insight on what works and what doesn't.

Ken, Steelheads fan
06-16-2004, 10:55 AM
What kind of competition are you going to be up against? Around these parts Senior League (Little League for high school aged kids) used to be big. As a matter of fact, the Senior League World Series was held in Gary for several years. Is there a healthy Senior League or equivalent already established there? If not, will you be able to find enough interested kids?

Finding kids interested in playing baseball is an uphill battle--at least here in Gary. All too many youngsters would much rather bounce a basketball in a hot, sweaty AND funky gym on a nice day than play ANY sport meant to be played outdoors.

Gary's Northern League team, the Railcats, is trying to reverse that trend as part of their naming rights agreement with U.S. Steel. Tens of thousands of dollars are made available each year to promote youth softball and baseball in Gary. Do any of the minor and independent league teams on the Atlantic coast have a similiar program? If so, maybe they would be willing to help sponsor a youth oriented league.

South Atlantic
06-16-2004, 03:27 PM
Ken

We have the baseball interest here on the coast and in the three state area we are looking into. We are actually going to announce next week that we will be sponsoring a Fall Classic League and expect to secure minor league fields for 8 weekends to have doubleheaders and single games. Like I said a few posts back, I like your input and things you write about. We are very similar in thoughts.

What we would like to do once we get this league up and running, create a minor league basketball league. That is my goal at least. I really see the need for a solid minor league basketball league in the off season minus the problems the current ones have. I have many ideas on paper to get that off of the ground but we wont look into doing that until we have $750,000 - $1 Million working capital. If you want and get a chance, drop me an email at:

info@atlantic-coast-baseball.com

I look forward to hearing from you.