PDA

View Full Version : Commish, can we get an early season update on the Sox?

Silver Sox Fan
06-29-2007, 01:16 PM
I am glad to hear that attendance is up throughout the league. The Sox attendance seems about the same as last year and still short of the 3000 capacity of Peccole. The coming summer weekends will be good indicators as you said. I'd love to see at least 2000 consistently considering there are only 37 or 38 home games.

I remember that Dave Kaval once quoted a survey that 50% of people don't even know who won the game. With that idea in mind, are you happy with the level of non-baseball stuff you have done to make the GBL experience that much better than the movie theaters Dave said you were competing with in the same article? I know you probably read some of the complaints about lack of promotions, kids club, etc from another poster. I can't say I disagree with him totally but I also know you guys have a whole league to worry about and not just our team.

I guess what I would like is a state of the Sox address or something. Are you guys where you want to be with them, are there areas you are looking to improve, and does the potential triple-A acquisition change anything.

Any info would be appreciated. Rather than just add another e-mail to your overflowing inbox, I thought I'd post here since I know there are other Sox fans on the board and everyone else might also find the info interesting.

Thanks.

Keith

P.S. What was the injury to Keaton Everitt and when is he expected back? I never heard or read anything.

GBLCommish
06-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the questions, here's what I know (or can tell you at this time):

1. Keaton Everett: Shoulder injury -- out for season it appears. He is resting it for 4-6 weeks and then will start re-hab to see if it will heal or will need surgery.

2. State of the Silver Sox: Sponsor/advertising revenue is up, paid attendance is up with turnstile up just slightly over this time a year ago, media coverage is better both in the RGJ and, of course, ESPN Radio now broadcasting the games, promo schedule and marketing is lacking and there are changes in the works to turn that around this season immediately - you'll be hearing about this very soon, more resources are in the process of being added to the front office to concentrate on marketing/promotional activities/group events, and finally as to AAA there is not much we can do but continually work to improve the Silver Sox franchise in all areas -- it's been 8 years since AAA was first announced for Reno by Sierra Nevada Baseball and if it does happen this time we'll weigh our various options once it is official and a real timeframe is in place.

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
Golden Baseball League
925-226-2896
commish@goldenbaseball.com

Silver Sox Fan
06-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Thank you so much for the excellent and insightful post. For what it is worth, I agree with everything you said so I for one am happy the league sees things similarly; I am sure other Sox fans appreciate it as well. We all want the same thing--professional baseball in our community. Your reponsiveness to our questions on this board not only reflects well on you but on the league as a whole. Thank you very much.

As always, if there is anything I can do to help the team, feel free to ask.

S.Sox
06-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Commish,
Thanks for your quick and imformative reply!! It all sounds great, I'm glad you saw the problems with marketing/promos/kids club!!
We are going to the game tonite versus Yuma, my kids are excited!! We hope to see a better minor league experience tonight!!!! if not in the near future!!
Again thanks and Go Sox!!
S.Sox