PDA

View Full Version : Big Names??

S.Sox
06-28-2007, 12:41 AM
I was wondering if the GBL is going to bring in any "big names" this year??
I trully enjoyed watching Canseco last year, it brought great media attention tothe GBL.. The year before I saw sveral stories on various media outlets regarding Henderson..It seems to be the GBL way of doing business??
Any thoughts on "big names"??
S Sox

peeaanuut
06-28-2007, 04:42 AM
keep em out. Consucko hurt LB more than he helped them. he disrupted the team and the league. He made a joke of himself. Lets keep this league for what it is, a step up or a step down for someone who hasn't made it.

If we start giving every has been sub par player a roster spot the league will look like more of a joke than it already is and no one will take it seriously. But if he keep feeding the talent pool and passing off to affiliate ball, this will become known as the league that players want to play in and not just some fly by night business experiment. Which at this time is failing miserable.

Silver Sox Fan
06-28-2007, 10:33 AM
I'd love to see a big name too...at least the baseball fan side of me would. It would be a neat story to say you saw a future hall of famer (ala Rickey) or whatever in his last game in a minor league park in your hometown.

However, Peeaanuut is right. Canseco drew the casual fan and definitely got the league a few more dollars. However, he was way past his prime and looked horrible against what the league has called a AA equivilant level of play. In 68 ABs, he hit just .176 with 4 HR and 9 RBIs and that doesn't even mention his horrendous pitching.

I agree with our commish that the number of contracts sold to the MLB is a major selling point of the league to proespective players and to fans. Unfortuantely I don't read about that in the national news...I read about Jose Canseco walking and hitting batters as a pitcher, golden bases, Long Beach's new name, and PA announcers being ejected. There is a belief that any publicity is good publicity but Peeaanuut is right that for the continued success of the league, it has to look like a professional organization, not a circus.

Now if a big name could have numbers like Rickey (226 AB, 16 SB, 73 BB, .456 OBP) and could help the team then I would have no problem with it.