PDA

View Full Version : What Iowa D-League WON'T be called...

Minor League Man
06-27-2007, 11:11 PM
It's official.

The D-League team WON'T be the River Rats, Thoroughbreds, Scarecrows, Maize, or Corncobs.

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070627/SPORTS/70627053/1003/SPORTS01

D.M. pro basketball franchise's nickname: None of the above
By TOM WITOSKY
REGISTER STAFF WRITER

June 27, 2007
7 Comments

There is a new wrinkle in the decision-making over what the owners of Iowa's new professional minor league basketball franchise are going to name the club.

Jamie Buelt, who is handling public relations for the Iowa National Basketball Association Development League franchise, said Wednesday that the negative fan reaction to the five names released last week -- Des Moines River Rats, Iowa Corncobs, Iowa Scarecrows, Iowa Maize and Iowa Thoroughbreds -- has prompted the names to be eliminated from consideration.

A press advisory distributed to the media Wednesday hinted that the names had been eliminated from consideration "because no one liked the first round of names.

"No one knows what the name will be and it is not part of the five that were released last week," Buelt said. "There was some pushback to the proposed names and the owners are responding to that."

Jerry Crawford, one of the club's owner, refused to confirm or dispute Buelt's comments, but said that none of the hundreds of suggestions made from fans have been eliminated. Last week, Crawford said the five potential names were chosen as finalists.

"We have a huge amount of reaction from fans and literally hundreds of suggestions have continued to come in," Crawford said "We received a lot of reaction to the five names that was less than laudatory. It's no secret that they prompted an outpouring of reaction. The field is open."

Team owners are to announce the nickname and unveil the team's logos Friday at a news conference and ceremony to be held at inPlay, 615 3rd St., Des Moines. The event, which will also feature an appearance by Boston Globe sports columnist Bob Ryan, will be held from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Asked if the nickname controversy was simply a publicity stunt to draw attention to the team, Crawford only laughed.

"I will say that I wish this could go on a few more weeks because we have been getting a lot of interest and selling a lot of tickets," he said.

So it could still be Iowa Reapers? We will see...

DakotaWizardsFan
06-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Yes!

Hopefully it's Reapers. But what if it's even worse than the best of those 5 (Scarecrows)?

USBasket_EricE
06-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Minor League Man, you came up with the idea of "Reapers", didn't you? If it does turn out to be the team name, I'd bet that they were reading this message board!

Minor League Man
06-28-2007, 04:42 PM
Minor League Man, you came up with the idea of "Reapers", didn't you? If it does turn out to be the team name, I'd bet that they were reading this message board!
Yes, I did come up with "Iowa Reapers" (It's the OSC favorite)

lightning fan
06-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Yes minorleagueman lived up to his name and came up with what should be the winning nickname "Reapers" on this go around with nickname for Des Moines.

I hope you are the winner. I would love to see that nickname with cool logo on a t shirt. I would then buy one and tell everyone the OSC story about how we think a OSC poster had a possble effect on this change of heart by the Iowa D team officials.

I had suggested it for the IBA Dragons, however, that is old times, not relevant to the current pick, and gone from the OSC archives so unable to prove, either way I respectfully defer to minorleagueman. Soon to be a OSC hall of fame member if this all works out. (does OSC have a HOF? They should for this situation)

Let's go REAPERS! I can hear it now.....I want a t shirt in a bad way.

Minor League Man
06-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Well, the Reapers lost...

Oh well, say hello to the Iowa Energy:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070629/SPORTS14/70629035/1003&lead=1

Hope the logo is good!

USBasket_EricE
06-29-2007, 08:48 PM
I guess Energy isn't so bad. Better than Scarecrows. Maybe the logo will have wind turbines on it. LOL

lightning fan
06-30-2007, 12:25 AM
Really wanted reapers, however, all in all not bad. Poster on Des Moines Register states owner is huge Suns fan goes to most games etc etc..... That explains colors and logo.

Years ago in cba the La Crosse Bobcats wore exact replicas of Portland Trailblazers unis at home. Wonder if that owner was a big Portland fan. I never found out. Anyone know?

Energy logo has style. Colors are OK. Would be a little better with one very dark color. Maybe darken the purple or add navy blue instead.

Iowa Energy rolls off the tongue better than Des Moines Energy. Or does it? Not sure.

Must be that when the number of syllables match it sounds better. Like Reapers sounds better with Des Moines.

USBasket_EricE
06-30-2007, 10:04 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/iowa/IA_energy_logo.jpg

Not really a big fan of the logo though.

Minor League Man
06-30-2007, 11:00 AM
It looks like the Phoenix Suns logo...

lightning_fan said the owner is a HUGE Phoenix Suns fan...So am I!

Only one downside...As long as Albuquerque's in the league, they'll be the Suns' affiliate...

USBasket_EricE
06-30-2007, 06:58 PM
I don't know how accurate this is, but on Wikipedia, the Chicago Bulls are listed as Iowa's affiliate. It would make sense, but that's -1 for the Dakota Wizards. I'm assuming the Wizards will keep the Washington Wizards as their affiliates, just because their names are the same.

DakotaWizardsFan
06-30-2007, 11:47 PM
Well, as of now, there are 16 D-League teams and 30 NBA teams. The D-Fenders have only one affiliate (Lakers) and so do the Toros (Spurs).

That would leave 14 D-League teams and 28 NBA teams so I am assuming that every other team would get 2 affiliates.

SignGuyDino
07-01-2007, 08:17 AM
In all fairness, any other NBA team that wants to own a team should consider forming their own. Take another existing team and one D-League team would be shared by 3 NBA teams and it wouldn't be close to fair.