PDA

View Full Version : Where are the good indy league players hiding?

Silver Sox Fan
06-27-2007, 01:18 AM
OK, tonight Matt Paris, one of our starting pitchers, had to play the field due to an injury to our 3B Jordan Devoir. The roster is that depleted in terms of position players.

It made me wonder if there aren't other guys out there who could fill our roster holes.

So I realize that we have guys still on the roster who are nursing injuries and the lack of a DL means they can't be replaced (Nick Moran and now Devoir).

However, the team lost five players that haven't been immediately replaced.

Two guys retired (Hahn and Keating) due to injuries, two are on the inactive list with confirmed injuries (Johnson and Sherrill) and one is on the inactive list who I assume is injured (Everitt).

So the Sox lost 2 pitchers and 3 position players. They brought in 3 pitchers and 1 outfielder and then cut the outfielder after two games.

Bottom line: they lost five and replaced three players; more specifically, they lost three position players and two pitchers and brought in three pitchers.

With roster already tight at 22 and with no DL further making the available roster that much smaller, why would those positions not be filled as quickly as possible? The Sox alone cut about 13 guys after spring training. Reading articles from all the teams, they said it was hard to make cuts this year due to the talent level of all the invitees. So why not bring them back? Did they all get other jobs?

Is it because indy players don't want to play in the GBL? Is it because of some sort of financial reason? Or are there just not good independent baseball players out there to pick from?

To those of you that have been around for while or have knowledge of independent baseball in general, I'd really love to hear your opinions and, of course, if our commish is around, I'd love that input as well.

S.Sox
06-27-2007, 10:23 AM
I agree where are Jensen, Grau, Varela,Sevier,Schneider.. well most were traded to save $.. Except Marcus
S.Sox

GBLCommish
06-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Hi Keith,

Player availability is a bit cyclical as major league organizations do a lot of releases in April and May as they clear space for the 50 or so players that they sign in the early June amateur draft and form their short-season teams that begin to pay a week or so later. So by this time of year most experienced pro players that are interested and capable of playing independent baseball are signed.

However, July sees a lot of releases from the indy teams as they change personnel to gear up for a second half title, and from the MLB teams that will release players that haven't performed as expected over the first half of the season.

I know that Les is starting to restock after being beset by an unbelievable rash of injuries. He signed rookie OF Kane Simmons out of NCAA D1 Belmont today (.330 and 15 HRs last year) and has a couple of very experienced (AA) players that he's working on bringing in when they return this weekend. It sometimes takes time to find the right player for a specific opening.

The hardest position to replace in mid-season is pitching as it is the most common position to be sidelined because of injury throughout all leagues.

You are also right that the pickings are slimmer than a few years ago as their are 26 more indy teams in 2007 than there were in 2004.

The experience level of players in the GBL is higher than ever, primarily due to no requirement for a minimum number of rookies plus the success we have had at selling player contracts which has attracted more experienced players.

I think that the Silver Sox will start climbing the standings, certainly if they can find an experience outfielder to make up for the injuries to Sherrill and Johnson and a right-handed closer out of the bullpen. Depending on Devoir's injury last night (ball off the shin), they may need an infielder as well. The team does resemble a M.A.S.H unit at this time but that will change.

Thanks for your question and keep them coming!

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
Golden Baseball League
925-226-2896

Pietsch Fan
06-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Hey Commish,

I gave a pitcher your number, did he call you?

Mary

GBLCommish
06-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Hello S.Sox,

Sorry, I forgot to address your questions on the Reno players from last year. Here's where they went:

1. Marcus Jensen -- retired as a player and was signed by the Oakland A's as a minor league hitting coach.

2. Phil Grau -- traded by Les Lancaster to the American Association when Les realized he would not have a starting spot for Phil in a stacked outfield that included two AA, a AAA, and a high-A foursome. Instead of simply releasing many of his players, Les works hard to place them due to his contacts with many of the other indy leagues. He was also playing for the rookie minimum salary last year.

3. Edgar Varela -- he was sold by the Silver Sox to the Florida Marlins last season, making him a free agent if ever released. He struggled and was released and took a player/coach position in the South Coast League.

4. Nate Sevier -- sold to the Joliet Jackhammers of the Northern League.

5. Scott Schneider -- not playing this year due to shoulder surgery in the off-season.

Here's where a number of other Silver Sox players went:

C.J. Lang -- sold to the Chicago White Sox
Chris Key -- sold to the Philadelphia Phillies (before season started)
Michael Thompson (signed in off-season) -- sold to the Kansas City Royals
Kennard Jones (signed in off-season) -- sold to the Baltimore Orioles
Mike McTamney -- sold to the Philadelphia Phillies
Milko Jaramillo -- sold to the Milwaukee Brewers
Jorge Rodriguez -- sold to the San Diego Padres
Victor Hall -- sold to the New York Yankees, Rule 5 to Phillies, released and back with Silver Sox
Doug Gredvig -- retired to run portable toilet business in Sacramento
Chris Marini -- retired to become a firefighter

Fairly typical turnover for an indy team, except the huge number of players sold to MLB teams -- most indy teams' lose just 1 or 2 players a year. In the GBL, Reno was by far the most popular team to pluck from by big league clubs. Interestingly, Fullerton (Now Orange County) has never had a player purchased yet -- although they have a number of prospects this year (such as the young pitchers Dickert and McRobbie) so that should change.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and thanks for you interest in the Silver Sox and the GBL.

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
Golden Baseball League
925-226-2896

GBLCommish
06-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Hi Mary,

Shoot me an email with his name, I've had a few pitchers contact us this week so he may be one of those.

Thanks,
Kevin

ChicoManiac
06-27-2007, 04:53 PM
I believe there are lots of indy players out there.....big league teams release almost 2000 a year with not that many because of injury....the Outlaws went younger this year and have had a great start....been fun knocking off the teams with double and triple A and major league players like the Silver Sox and Scorpions....we have just one triple A player but he's our best, Scott Dragicevich...I'm pretty sure that the GBL player level is better than last year except for St. George, even though they won a series here...the Roadrunners really need to upgrade to more players that have some pro background...

Silver Sox Fan
06-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Thanks for all the detailed info, Kevin. This is the kind of information that really helps me enjoy the league more so thank you.

One other question...what happended to Keaton Everitt? I know he missed some starts and is on the inactive list. Is he done for the season or can we expect him back?

Thanks!

S.Sox
06-28-2007, 11:43 PM
Thanks Commish....for your info/insight
S.Sox

Thorp
06-30-2007, 12:30 AM
Very impressed with the dialogue you carry on this board. The honesty and helpfulnes is very amazing. Most boards don't have any dialogue. I don't understand the lack of communication. Good luck with finding players,they are out there and looking for teams that will treat them right. Some leagues haven't figured it out that it helps their league to beable to sell a player to the MLB. I don't know why they are hoarding their players. Any thoughts as you guys seem to be very open.

DawgsBooster2
06-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Very impressed with the dialogue you carry on this board. The honesty and helpfulnes is very amazing. Most boards don't have any dialogue. I don't understand the lack of communication. Good luck with finding players,they are out there and looking for teams that will treat them right. Some leagues haven't figured it out that it helps their league to beable to sell a player to the MLB. I don't know why they are hoarding their players. Any thoughts as you guys seem to be very open.

My guess is money. Most players are worth more the the GBL when they're sold. It provides actual income as well as creating a place that players see as a REAL step to the bigs. From what I can tell Indy leagues are just that, Indy and not a real stepping stone to the Show.

With the GBL getting their boys out there and UP there, it shows the fellas that the GBL has a track record of moving their guys up. Making it a more attractive league than other Indy leagues.

I'm pretty sure I spoke in circles right there (LOL), but I'm equally sure that ya'll got my meaning. :)

S.Sox
06-30-2007, 02:59 PM
"Dawg" your right about the opprotunity the GBL provides!! My oldest boy loves th watch the GBL websites to see who was picked up by a MLB team ,then he follows thier progress on milb.com!! He loves it, last year he wrote to a few of them getting autographed pictures in return!!
These guys are superstars/heros to him, he considers them to be 'BIG TIME" when picked up!! Great stuff..
S.Sox