PDA

View Full Version : GBL Family Values???

RW22
06-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Hey Commish,

I know that the GBL was founded on cheap, alternative entertainment for families. You guys are really trying this year to make the night out a real good time for all. I do have one major concern about an email I received today....Here it is in its entirety---

Date: Jun 21, 2007 02:57 PM
Subject BASEBALL AND BEER!
Body: HEY FANS,

We got a game tonight and it is accompanied with 2 dollar beers till the 3rd inning. So come early at 6:00pm when the gates open and start drinking!

Need Tickets? message me back NOW!

Don't forget to buy your bingo cards from an Armada Girl!

Love,

The Girls

This came from the Long Beach Armada... I realize that $2 beer nightsare all part of the attraction, but it is necessary that they specifically invite fans out early to buy beers? Does that not send the messege that it is ok to drink and drive? I know most will behave, but its the one or two that get behind the wheel that would worriy me. After a couple of belts, noone cares how much the price of beer is and that all leads to bad decisions. Do they have cabs on standby for those who do drink too much? Do they have the authourity to have people leave cars without the fear of having them towed?
Like I said, I do not mind the promotion (I drink), I just do not like the outward promotion of "come out and drink" that is in that messege...no mention of who is playing, game time or anything othe than "we have a game tonight".....just a bad promotional item..

RW22

Pounder
06-21-2007, 07:42 PM
Hmmm...

Part of me bristles at this because it seems to be a moralized method of making decisions for others.

Of course, some of this is observing fans of Portland Timbers. With Portland's pretty good public transportation system, most people are smart enough to leave the car at home.

I might suggest another tactic... is it possible to barter with some neighborhood bars? Advertising in exchange for providing busses from those bars to the game and back.

The reality- beer sales are a major revenue source for clubs. This is always a tough subject to deal with. Another reason I don't envy owners...

RW22
06-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Its not so much a "beer" issue....teams need alcohol to help pay bills (I do drink at games)...its the fact that they asked, bluntly, to have fans show up early to drink....as my experiences go--you have one, two and then who cares what it costs....thats where the problems run in. They also offered free tickets at the same time---does this not make the team liable for anything that goes on afterwards?
I can see the police report "ummmm....they gave me free tickets and then told me to show up early...." --it just does not look good for a league getting ready to be legit.

Silver Sox Fan
06-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Funny thing is, I didn't even notice the beer. Maybe I listened to too much Tom Leykis on the way home but I saw from "the girls" and "message me back now" as if it was personally sent and then there is the allusion to "messaging" (not e-mail) which seems like it goes directly to their cell phone. And oh, by the way, don't forget to find one of the Armada girls to get the bingo card. Oh, let's be BFF, K?

Not that I really care either way but it is funny how we pick up on different things. $2 beers and Armada girls...what is more American than that? :)

GBLCommish
06-22-2007, 03:04 AM
Hi RW22,

Thanks for the message. I do agree with you that the email alert needs to be toned down and have more of a focus on the game info as well. Our teams send out these emails to notify fans of the theme, promotion, entertainment at each game. Thirsty Thursdays are run by many of our teams and are pretty standard throughout minor league baseball -- in fact I was at a AAA game tonight and they had a large crowd for their $1 beer night which was served through the middle of the 8th inning.

We do cut the special off after the 3rd inning in Long Beach, not after the 7th as is common, which is about 2 hours before the end of game time. Also, the Armada deal is $2 beers instead of $1. Both of these aspects of the promotion still make it enticing to the fans but limit excessive consumption. Concessions staff will also not serve visibly inebriated fans and we do have taxis available on call for anyone that needs them for a ride home on any night. As long as the person has parked legally on the street, or in the Blair Field parking lot, they will not be towed. Also, I'm not sure where you got the free tickets info as that is not part of the promotion at all.

I do appreciate the feedback as we are always working on getting better.

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
Golden Baseball League
925-226-2896

RW22
06-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the response Commish. I have NO problem with the beer promotion, I rather enjoy them! It was the "come on out and start drinking" that got me. It showed a real lack of class from a league that is really trying to legitimize itself. I mean, how hard would it be to say "It's $2 beer night and we are playing xyz...gates open at 6"? A much more refined way of stating the same thing. I am glad that you willing to address this issue. As I have said, you guys are really trying hard this year to make the product work!
Enjoy a great year!!
RW

DCNationals
07-07-2007, 11:57 AM
PLEASE, we have enough neo-prohibitionists and health Nazis running the San Diego Padres, where beer is $8.00 "for our own good" so we won't drink too much of it. Keep up the beer (and everything else) promotions, it is one of the things that makes minor league baseball better. To the best of my knowledge there have been ZERO problems with beer promotions in the league.

It is really very simple. If you do not like $2.00 beer, do not drink any. But don't dump your morality on the rest of us.

DawgsBooster2
07-07-2007, 07:05 PM
PLEASE, we have enough neo-prohibitionists and health Nazis running the San Diego Padres, where beer is $8.00 "for our own good" so we won't drink too much of it. Keep up the beer (and everything else) promotions, it is one of the things that makes minor league baseball better. To the best of my knowledge there have been ZERO problems with beer promotions in the league.

It is really very simple. If you do not like $2.00 beer, do not drink any. But don't dump your morality on the rest of us.

Relax there DCNationals, you'll hurt yourself.

No one said not to do the beer specials. What was mentioned was the email which was sent out making the game sound like more of a Frat party than a baseball game.

I'm all for beer (though whiskey is better) it's just the way it was presented which was in question.