PDA

View Full Version : Iowa "Name the Team" Contest

flasah
06-20-2007, 10:03 AM
http://www.nba.com/webAction?actionId=surveyInitialize&target=/dleague/iowa/name_team_070619.jsp&surveyId=1503

Help Make Iowa Sports History

The Iowa NBA franchise would like our fans to help name the Iowa NBA Development League Team. Beginning on June 19, 2007, you can visit www.iowanba.com to let the franchise know what you want the team to be named. This is Iowa’s team…..and we want your input! Voting will end on June 27, 2007.

On June 29th, the franchise will unveil the team name and logo at inPlay, located two blocks south of Wells Fargo Arena. KXNO radio (1460 AM) will broadcast live from the event. In addition, nationally known sports journalist Bob Ryan, a regular on ESPN and in the Boston Globe, will be on hand to help celebrate. Details of the event are listed below:

# When: Friday, June 29th from 3:00 PM – 8:00 PM. Then name announcement will be made at approximately 5:30 PM.
# Where: inPlay, located just two blocks south of Wells Fargo; 615 3rd Street, Des Moines, IA 50309
# Who: Any fans of the team or anyone wanting to find out more information.

Don’t miss out on the chance to be part of sports history. See you on the 29th!

Vote For A Team Name!
Corncobs
Maize
River Rats
Scarecrows
Thoroughbreds

Minor League Man
06-20-2007, 12:12 PM
I still think they should have picked Reapers...

USBasket_EricE
06-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Honestly, River Rats????????? And who would want to be referred to as corn? Sounds corny to me. I voted Scarecrows. I don't like it, but it's the best of the five. The other possibilities that were discussed on this forum were 10 times better.

Minor League Man
06-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Honestly, River Rats????????? And who would want to be referred to as corn? Sounds corny to me. I voted Scarecrows. I don't like it, but it's the best of the five. The other possibilities that were discussed on this forum were 10 times better.
So, you liked my Iowa Reapers suggestion too? (It seems that was the OSC favorite)

DakotaWizardsFan
06-20-2007, 03:12 PM
No Reapers! Come on! Scarecrows it is then.. not that I like that.

lightning fan
06-21-2007, 10:31 AM
I wanted Reapers also. "Minor League Man" you should have had the winning choice. It was good. Very good for Iowa team.

Scarecrows is best out of the five given, so I voted for Scarecrows. Maybe they can have a secondary crow logo to go with primary of a scarecrow. This has good possibilities and is unique. Go for it Des Moines and get the Black Crows to open a concert before first game....that would be cool.

I would also vote Des Moines. To all those saying Des Moines is hard to pronounce... I say then it is time to choose it and get people saying it the correct way.

It worked for me in cba last year. I thought Minot was French and pronounced "Mah-No". I was corrected that it is pronounced "My-Not".

If they would have been called the Dakota or N Dakota Skyrockets I would still not know correct pronouncement of Minot.

USBasket_EricE
06-21-2007, 06:55 PM
I would also vote Des Moines. To all those saying Des Moines is hard to pronounce... I say then it is time to choose it and get people saying it the correct way.

It worked for me in cba last year. I thought Minot was French and pronounced "Mah-No". I was corrected that it is pronounced "My-Not".

If they would have been called the Dakota or N Dakota Skyrockets I would still not know correct pronouncement of Minot.

I've never had trouble pronouncing Des Moines, but that's probably because I grew up obsessed with US Geography (I knew how to spell all the states and their capitals in the second grade, along with the order in which each state entered the union). Then there's Illinois with it's silent "s" and the debate over how Missouri is pronounced ("Miz-er-ee" or "Miz-er-uh"). I guess I never thought of Minot that way, having grown up in North Dakota. But there's that rhyme "Why not Minot" which I think I remember people discussing on this forum back when the Skyrockets moved there.

I don't know what I'd prefer between Iowa Scarecrows and Des Moines Scarecrows. Des Moines reminds me of the big city where scarecrows are scarce, but when I hear "Iowa", I think of open fields where scarecrows are present. I guess I still would have preferred Reapers (or even Inferno with the two "I's").

sportsguy12
06-22-2007, 12:25 PM
I've never had trouble pronouncing Des Moines, but that's probably because I grew up obsessed with US Geography (I knew how to spell all the states and their capitals in the second grade, along with the order in which each state entered the union). Then there's Illinois with it's silent "s" and the debate over how Missouri is pronounced ("Miz-er-ee" or "Miz-er-uh"). I guess I never thought of Minot that way, having grown up in North Dakota. But there's that rhyme "Why not Minot" which I think I remember people discussing on this forum back when the Skyrockets moved there.

I don't know what I'd prefer between Iowa Scarecrows and Des Moines Scarecrows. Des Moines reminds me of the big city where scarecrows are scarce, but when I hear "Iowa", I think of open fields where scarecrows are present. I guess I still would have preferred Reapers (or even Inferno with the two "I's").

because they can market the team to the whole state and attract more fans than just those in Des Moines, like the Iowa Stars do.

lightning fan
06-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Scarecrows probably does go with IOWA better than Des Moines.

I just prefer the real city name for geographical reasons. Always wished teams like Dakota would be Bismarck....Magic City should have been Minot in IBL, Black Hills Gold should have been Rapid City, etc etc.

Maybe the only one that makes sense is Minnesota Vikings and Twins due to the connected twin cities of Minneapolis and St Paul, however maybe they should be the Twin Cities(or City) Vikings. The Twins already take in to account the two cities with the nickname and Twin Cities Twins does not sound right.

Now that we have had the Minnesota Vikings for so long Twin Cities Vikings sounds odd, however, if it would have started out that way would have been OK I think.

Minor League Man
06-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Well, Reapers woulda gone with Des Moines too, don't you think?

lightning fan
06-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Reapers would have ruled. YES.

USBasket_EricE
06-23-2007, 08:01 PM
I understand where you're going with the city names, lightning fan. When I first heard the name "Golden State Warriors", I thought it sounded like a college team. I wasn't fond of the NBA before the 2001-2002 season when I began to follow the Wizards in the CBA. I had no idea which state was even the Golden State at the time. And I had no idea that there was a team called the "Washington Wizards" until Michael Jordan signed with them. I thought the team was in Washington State too. But I quickly became an NBA fan and discovered where every team was located and now I'm not clueless any more. Oh yeah, I also didn't know that the New England Patriots were in Boston until they won the Super Bowl in 2002 or whatever year it was (I don't follow football that much).

Another fun fact: I believe the Dakota Wizards were called the Bismarck Wizards in their first season. I'm not positive, but I seem to remember reading about it somewhere.

OK, back to the thread subject. Reapers could have gone either way, Des Moines or Iowa. Someone should e-mail the team with the idea and then they can have a re-vote on the name, preferably dropping the "River Rats" name.

DakotaWizardsFan
06-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Another fun fact: I believe the Dakota Wizards were called the Bismarck Wizards in their first season. I'm not positive, but I seem to remember reading about it somewhere.

I cannot confirm that, but I never knew that if it's true. I wonder if the other Wizards fans here would know.