PDA

View Full Version : GBL To Alberta?

Shootmaster_44
06-17-2007, 07:58 PM
I was reading the Northern League board over at nlfan.com and apparently during a Calgary Viper game there was mention that the GBL was courting the Alberta Northern League teams (as well as Wichita). Mr Commissioner, can you please confirm or deny these rumors?

I'm interested in what happens to the Vipers and Cracker-Cats as it may impact Saskatoon getting a team. From what I understand the Northern League is very interested in placing a team here, but that enthusiasm may not transfer different leagues like the GBL.

Silver Sox Fan
06-17-2007, 09:10 PM
That would make for a brutal travel schedule (by bus). The trip from Yuma to Calgary is 24 hours; Reno would be the closest at about 18 hours. And those two teams (Edmonton and Calgary) are the lowest attended Northern League teams. Not saying it won't happen but logisitically and financially it would be difficult. And Saskatoon is even farther than that.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the GBL with more teams and I'd love to see Canadian teams since pro ball is slowly leaving Canada for the U.S. due to government taxes and exchange rates (from what I read) but it would be tough.

But, just my two cents; we'll have to wait for the Commish's comments.

Shootmaster_44
06-17-2007, 10:09 PM
That would make for a brutal travel schedule (by bus). The trip from Yuma to Calgary is 24 hours; Reno would be the closest at about 18 hours. And those two teams (Edmonton and Calgary) are the lowest attended Frontier teams. Not saying it won't happen but logisitically and financially it would be difficult. And Saskatoon is even farther than that.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the GBL with more teams and I'd love to see Canadian teams since pro ball is slowly leaving Canada for the U.S. due to government taxes and exchange rates (from what I read) but it would be tough.

But, just my two cents; we'll have to wait for the Commish's comments.

Oh I know its not necessarily a great idea unless the GBL is going to have a Northern Division or something. Perhaps they have a line on an airline sponsorship that will fly the teams around? Interesting fodder for discussion anyways.

GBLCommish
06-19-2007, 02:21 AM
Hi Shootmaster44,

Good to hear from you again. Did you attend the Northern League's exhibition game in Saskatoon between Calgary and Edmonton that ended in a tie? If they really had 3500 at Cairns Field for that game in early May, as was reported, that's pretty impressive and should be a solid statement to the NoL that the City of Bridges could support a team.

As for the Alberta teams, right now they seem content in the NoL for this year and at least another. We do plan expansion northwest over time and it may make sense to look at those two teams if their relationship with the NoL ever ended. As for travel, Keith is right, you couldn't bus it and it would have to be air travel. However, air travel L.A. to Calgary/Edmonton isn't that bad. If you could use the Edmonton and Calgary buses, for a nominal fee, once in Canada it would be about a push in terms of cost of a normal roadtrip (flying 25 personnel at about $400 is pretty equivalent to a team embarking on a 10-12 game roadtrip via bus around the current GBL geography at $800 a day for a charter bus).

In the nearterm, I'm more interested in Oregon, northern Calfornia, and southern California as there are great markets that make a lot of sense for the league as we look to add a pair of teams in '08. In addition to those, we do have discussions at various stages underway with municipalities in Mexico, Arizona, New Mexico, western Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Washington, and even Hawaii. As for Wichita, that would not be a location for a GBL team in our forseeable future.

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
Golden Baseball League
commish@goldenbaseball.com
925-226-2896

Shootmaster_44
06-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Hi Shootmaster44,

Good to hear from you again. Did you attend the Northern League's exhibition game in Saskatoon between Calgary and Edmonton that ended in a tie? If they really had 3500 at Cairns Field for that game in early May, as was reported, that's pretty impressive and should be a solid statement to the NoL that the City of Bridges could support a team.

As for the Alberta teams, right now they seem content in the NoL for this year and at least another. We do plan expansion northwest over time and it may make sense to look at those two teams if their relationship with the NoL ever ended. As for travel, Keith is right, you couldn't bus it and it would have to be air travel. However, air travel L.A. to Calgary/Edmonton isn't that bad. If you could use the Edmonton and Calgary buses, for a nominal fee, once in Canada it would be about a push in terms of cost of a normal roadtrip (flying 25 personnel at about $400 is pretty equivalent to a team embarking on a 10-12 game roadtrip via bus around the current GBL geography at $800 a day for a charter bus).

In the nearterm, I'm more interested in Oregon, northern Calfornia, and southern California as there are great markets that make a lot of sense for the league as we look to add a pair of teams in '08. In addition to those, we do have discussions at various stages underway with municipalities in Mexico, Arizona, New Mexico, western Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Washington, and even Hawaii. As for Wichita, that would not be a location for a GBL team in our forseeable future.

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
Golden Baseball League
commish@goldenbaseball.com
925-226-2896

Thanks, I had a feeling that someone was trying to stir the pot so to speak as far as the Alberta teams were concerned. I do think at least from what I've read and the plans I've seen that the GBL has a good business plan in place. I certainly hope that you manage to get a good core of stable franchises and expand that way. The way the transcript read on the nlfan site was that next season the GBL would take the Alberta teams on board. For that to work in any form, it would require the GBL to undertake ABA sized expansion, which is never a good move by any league. Glad to hear that nothing officially has been undertaken as far as the GBL and the Vipers and Cracker-Cats.

Yes I did go to the Cracker-Cats/Vipers game here in town. I was impressed with the crowd size and the fact that the Cracker-Cats have vowed to play three weeks of next year here in Saskatoon. I have this suspicion that if support of the Cracker-Cats is as bad as it sounds in Edmonton that the team may simply end up moving to Saskatoon.

heavesrock
06-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Edmonton is doing much, much better this year. Hopefully that keeps up. A more likely cantidate for Saskatoon would be a expansion team, or Calgary whose owner is clueless.

Shootmaster_44
08-30-2007, 06:40 AM
I hate to dredge up this topic again, but rumors of the move of Calgary and Edmonton to the GBL are showing up in the locals papers up there. Mr. Commissioner, can you confirm or deny these rumors? If this is true will they simply be two far flung outposts or will there be a Northern Division put together with teams in a close distance to Calgary/Edmonton akin to the old Prairie League?

DawgsBooster2
08-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Seems kinda far for the GBL to go, money wise.

Pounder
08-30-2007, 12:53 PM
In order for Calgary and Edmonton to work (shakes head)...

I recall two abandoned Pioneer League markets.

* Butte had to play in Montana Tech's stadium... their football stadium. That place has had a couple upgrades lately, but I doubt Tech does that and then turns back around to have baseball played in it. Montana Tech has no baseball program.

* Pocatello had a non-affiliated team in the Pioneer some years back. Check that... Pocatello had FOUR different Pioneer League teams come and go between 1983 and 1993. Idaho State doesn't have baseball, and the old park they used is noted by observers as unsuitable for professional ball.

Every other substantial market in Montana is taken. Twin Falls? Cheyenne? (Cheyenne, really, is a bit out of the way) Logan, Utah? Any other options are well removed from sublime and headed straight down towards ridiculous... and that assumes two halves of a league not even making long trips during the season. Very bad idea. Better off with a northwestern-based independent league... and I can't begin to tell you how that would work.

Shootmaster_44
08-31-2007, 12:34 AM
I'm thinking you make Edmonton and Calgary the western outposts of a league along the lines of the Prairie League. You put teams in Regina, Saskatoon, Moose Jaw and perhaps Brandon and Lethbridge in Canada. In the States you look at Minot, Grand Forks, Rapid City and perhaps Pierre.

Shootmaster_44
08-31-2007, 12:37 AM
Seems kinda far for the GBL to go, money wise.

Just slightly. But it seems the two teams are bent on joining the league, since the NoL seems to want to push them out. For me I don't really care which league they join so long as Edmonton does not collapse before July '08, when they are temporarily moving to Saskatoon.

I still think the Northern League would be their best bet. I'm not sure why they are so bent on the Golden League, unless the GBL is planning an ABA-like expansion where they add another 15 or 20 teams this off-season. If so, Mr. Commissioner, please take a good look at Saskatoon. I want a pro ball team here and if its a GBL team, a NoL team or some new start-up team, I would be happy.

nlfan
08-31-2007, 04:07 PM
There are probably two major reasons why the AB clubs are interested in the GLB.

1. Travel Costs
2. Respect

Travel Costs

In the nlfan.com forums there are references to stories that airfare to California is much lower than to NoL cities. I'm not sure of the real costs (since supposedly they only fly to Winnipeg then bus to everywhere else... including Chicago) but that's what has been made public.

Respect

The arguments and internal disputes between the AB clubs and the rest of the league have become more heated and public. There are quotes from Sam Katz (owner of the Winnipeg Goldeyes and Mayor of Winnipeg) where he's made clear they wouldn't really mind those clubs leaving (including waiving the $1M penalties).

I think that the AB owners look at the GBL as a place where they might be treated more fairly, not have to subsidize the airfare of their other opponents which only adds to their own expenses.

How much sense it makes for your league, I can't say. It may be a question of the desire for expansion vs. added travel expenses. One minor benefit (or problem) is that the AB clubs come with their own owners so they wouldn't add to the common league operating expenses.

Those interested in the subject should go to my forums where there have been hundreds of posts on the topic.

nlfan
09-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Anyone in the GBL heard about the latest "threats" by Calgary (and Edmonton) to leave the NoL and join yours?

This story came out today in the Calgary Herald that should be of interest to you: Vipers eye Golden horizons (http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/sports/story.html?id=b4c1faf4-4fc3-43fb-ae46-4b54061afc3f)

So unless he sees something better prior to a league meeting on Oct. 5 in Minneapolis, Gidney won't rule out the possibility of his team playing in the California-based Golden League next year.In my forums this is becoming (understandably) a white-hot topic. I wondered if anyone here had heard anything new/newsworthy?

S.Sox
09-20-2007, 01:00 PM
I think they would be a good addition to the GBL, I wonder if the GBL would have to charge a travel fee for a few years.?

S.Sox

padsfan2
09-21-2007, 01:31 PM
My guess is that the GBL will contunue to search for cities where there is absolutely nothing else to do in the city, (Chico & Yuma), during the summer.

nlfan
09-21-2007, 02:47 PM
The NoL commish (Clark Griffith) came out today with comments that the "league is strong/will remain at 8/hope for 10." The sort of damage control comments you'd expect.

The question remains if the AB clubs really have any promise to get into the GBL. Short of working on alternate schedules (with/without Calgary & Edmonton) the GBL has to prepare for next season already. They don't want to wait too long for those clubs to make the jump or not --especially if they're just a bargaining chip in NoL negotiations.

LB Parents
09-22-2007, 10:20 AM
I formerly rooted for the GBL. I am now one of those fans that believe that the GLB years are few now. I hear from to many and now believe that the bills don't get paid, they screw their sponsors, they don't take their fans (the loyal fans that help keep things alive)concerns seriously, and screw their most loyal management. I have seem many of these issues first hand. Why would anybody want to join the GBL?

YumaHeat
09-22-2007, 04:29 PM
First off the reason people would want to join this league is its stable, it has great owners and the one thing that stands out is great EX MLB PLAYERS! now if that doesn't grab you then please quit being a fan and go to the local bar and sob your stories to the other complainers in there. The GBL is the only league besides the NoL to make it past 3 years and they will be the premier league for Managers and Players, so LB are you going to say they wont make it past this year like all the other complainers in here have said year 1, then they would fold in year 2, and then year 3, so what now LB, tell us all how you feel, remember god gave you two ears and one mouth and remember this to get along in life, believe half of what you see and nothing what you hear and maybe you would be a good fan and not a disgruntled one, I'm sorry to be harsh but quit complaining and crying over the league and Long Beach, so what if they made changes to the staff, you see what goes on outside the office and not inside, ok I'm done!

padsfan2
09-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Another case of the effects of the Yuma heat. First off, the league has only survived the past 3 years. With the history of folded franchises, disgruntled fans and sponsorships, and the threat of Reno being pushed out by a real team. Like I said in an earlier reply, Yuma & Chico are afraid of losing the only thing there is to do.

YumaHeat
09-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Padsfan, you need to come to Yuma and get rid of the smog that has messed the brain up, it's perfect that the D-Backs, losers like the Pads are like yourself, the team from Reno will go to Tucson and thank god! So pads fan you must be a disgruntled fan also, hey I love that grumpy fans like you wont come to the parks, there is a god! So my advise to you and the others is to stay away from the ball parks and go sip your lattes and just wish you were wanted into the parks and go gripe and moan on other sites, we don't need losers like yourself. The league is in great financial standing and we will go another year and another year and more, so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

LB Parents
09-23-2007, 01:06 AM
Yuma heat:
I am a fan that has seen the inside. It started by being a host family. As fans, my family got too involved to see what is going on inside along with other loyal LB fans. Oh yeah, I have never said that the GBL will not make it past this year, and also have said that their will be a year 4. As a host family, I have gotten to know most all the players from the Armada and some from the other teams. My home has been the go-to house for players that needed a place to stay for a few days to a few weeks for the past year. I have gotten word first hand of some of the troubles that have gone on from players and staff. I have more I can say, but for now it's "so what." You can be excited and write all about it, but the GBL is not stable or strong enough to include Canada. I do know that as a person very involved in the athletic world is that baseball is a business, it's just about the money, and the GBL is just trying to survive. At this time, the GBL has not taken very kindly to the City of Long Beach! Yes, I am crying because my family wanted the best in baseball for LB, and we were one of their strongest volenteer promoters untill the GBL brought in a new Armada GM that had just folded our pro. hockey team. Now he is enjoying his time screwing the LB staff and fans including the firing of the assistant gm that made the Armada what they were this year, and all the GBL will say to the fans is "he's our guy, go Armada!"

Read past threads, though some posts are a little over-exaggerated, they do hold a lot of truth!

Enjoy the dreams because I live the reality!

Oh by the way, Jose Conseco was a very nice guy and good to the fans. Jose's daughter and my daughter had a great time together at the games. But Jose was a disaster for the Armada. Jose knew it and left. No offense Jose, I really like you and support you on your issues with the media and MBL. The GBL needs to do its job of bring up young talent fairly (fairly is another story) and send the fresh talent up to the higher levels.

LB Parents
09-23-2007, 01:23 AM
So YumaHeat, what makes you the expert on the GBL and our drinking habits?

And so you know, I don't drink, and never hang-out in bars. I am above that.

Define yourself since your new to posting here and so abusive!

YumaHeat
09-23-2007, 02:58 AM
So who drinks on the job for the Armada, I'm sure no one as I'm sure you will tell me different, and if you do back it up, if you think this is bad and me being rude, WOW! I know a little bit more then what you hear in here as rumors and plus listening to players is your first mistake, why do you think there in independent ball? They run there mouths to people like you and you run with it. So you say that you don't think the GBL is ready for the Canada teams, why is that and do you know the details behind it and not details from your so called click and clack group in here and please don't tell me your awesome host son or his friends who hang out at your house told you. So until everyone knows whats behind Canada please wait and see what happens if they do come over to the GBL, you must be real special to have Jose's daughter hang out with yours, thats one to brag about there to people, and how the heck did his name come about, well its to late and lets all just see where the GBL goes and remember positive energy will make the GBL be an awesome league.

Pietsch Fan
09-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Hey YumaHeat,

I'm sure you're real excited about getting the new job and all, but that's no reason to come over here and start acting like a school yard bully. Read through the old posts and take the example of your predecessor and tell us all the great things that are happening in Yuma, rather than attacking us and telling us we're idiots.

And be careful with talking about things that aren't yet written in stone or you might find yourself hunting through the want ads again.

Mary

oldfatguy
09-23-2007, 10:29 AM
"The GBL is the only league besides the NoL to make it past 3 years and they will be the premier league for Managers and Players, so LB are you going to say they wont make it past this year like all the other complainers in here have said year 1, then they would fold in year 2, and then year 3, so what now LB, tell us all how you feel, remember god gave you two ears and one mouth and remember this to get along in life, believe half of what you see and nothing what you hear and maybe you would be a good fan and not a disgruntled one, I'm sorry to be harsh but quit complaining and crying over the league and Long Beach, so what if they made changes to the staff, you see what goes on outside the office and not inside, ok I'm done!"

Wow, that's a really long sentence.

oldfatguy
09-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Also, the Frontier League's made it pretty well for more than the last three years.

LB Parents
09-23-2007, 11:37 AM
You do a great job complaining about others on this forum YumaHeat. Your the one that sounds like someone sitting in the bar complaining, or excuse me... wishing. I'm sorry, am I interupting your sit infront of the tv playing coach for the NFL with the beer in both hands knowing that you can do a lot better than the coach on tv since you seem to know us so well??

You still have not defined yourself?

And no, I don't get most of my info. from the players, and yes I have met and talked with GBL front office.

Think logically if you can, why would LB fans be so upset after the season that the Armada just had? The complaining started before loosing the championship series. So, it's not about loosing!

Come on... Define yourself!!!!

LB Parents
09-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Hey oldfatguy:
I appreciate your reply to my other posts. I am disgruntled from what I see more than hear (and I have seen a lot) and have fun posting it on this forum. I have had a great time with Armada team and staff these last few years. Most of the team does not know what goes on outside of the clubhouse and field except for late or missing paychecks and travel money. I do not like the direction the new LB gm is taking the team and the GBL backs him (it is the GBL's right to make that decision, and our right as fans not to support it). Along with many of us loyal fans, even the City of LB does not really like him. Do I let this run my life? No, this just gives me some recreation on the computer. I have a much more important life than baseball, but I do love baseball, especially minor league ball. The Armada has been great recreation to a busy life that my family and I have, and now looks to be a time to move on.

And yes, the GBL will continue for a while. I'm realistic, the GBL and Armada will survive without me if I choose not to continue to participate with the team. We just got too involved.

LB Parents
09-23-2007, 12:23 PM
If it is true what Mary has said about YumaHeat being on the inside at Yuma... Congratulations YumaHeat!!! You will fit right in... You write just like Bash talks!!!!

DawgsBooster2
09-24-2007, 12:21 AM
Yuma Heat, you might not believe it, but there are ways of making your points that don't include being rude or name-calling.

Point in fact your points are lessened by doing so.

nlfan
09-24-2007, 02:00 PM
I don't want to get too deep into this flame war but it seems some people are ignoring a great number of facts. And this topic has gotten way off from discussing Alberta.

The GBL is the only league besides the NoL to make it past 3 years

This is flat out wrong.

First of all the Frontier League is every bit as old as the NoL (started 1993, 15 seasons) and is larger (12 teams) than either the NoL (today) or the GLB (ever). Another league that's well over 3 years old is the Atlantic League (started 1998, 10 seasons). Then there's the C-AL which can be from 3-13 seasons depending on how you want to define it (NeL started 1995; merged with the NoL 1999-2002; split back to the NeL 2003; reformed in current form 2005).

There are several defunct leagues that made it to and/or past 3 seasons. If you go to the Indy Leagues Graveyard (http://www.indyleaguesgraveyard.com/) you'll find the CBL (4 seasons before split into ULB and AA), its directly predicessor the TLL (8 seasons, 1994-2001 became CBL).

Major Leaguers

Today the league with the most (ex-)MLB talent is the Atlantic League. No one else comes close, period. Even Rickie played there before his season in the GBL before he finally hung up his cleats.

Since its inception it has been the major home to dozens of MLB vets (http://www.atlanticleague.com/alumni.html) who aren't/weren't ready to give in. That includes the infamous Jose Offerman who made the news this season with his attack on the mound with a bat. The prefer it for many reasons especially the longer season and east coast location near many (more) MLB clubs.

Managers....

First, I don't know that the GBL has any major "managerial" talent. Looking through the GBL managers I see a lot of NoL cast offs who couldn't make it (or had to leave).

This brings up a major point for fans --do you want a manager who wins or one that is/was "famous?" Gary Templeton is a good example, soon after he left the Gary RailCats won their first championship with a manager (Greg Tagert) moving up from the FL. Who got the better deal?

Players....

Yes there are some GBL signed and in affiliated ball, but still no major leaguers yet. The AA, through the Ft. Worth Cats, already has sent a rookie to the show (Luke Hochevar) in under two seasons (and had another signed this season, Matt Scherzer). The GBL still has no comparable players (yet), though that could change.

Real pitching prospects are going to a "start-up" league like the AA, playing before home crowds of 4K while sitting out the college draft. I think any/all trades the GBL has during the season suggest players/managers show it as the junior league. This doesn't mean the clubs or the games are bad, just that if you compare across leagues (like players do) there's a clear difference seen.

Attendance

Another, long term, issue for any future MLB talent and general future of the GBL is the low attendance in the league. The teams/league cannot afford to bring in ex-MLB talent with a top average attendance of 1,713/gm (and that's if they're even profitable at that or any lower average). That simply will not generate the revenue to pay the several thousand dollars/month that those guys expect (and deserve). As with other leagues, their arrival is driven by friends in the league (office), convenience to home or personal interest. It's hardly the start of major trend and dries up quickly.

One club does not make a league

It's fine to celebrate how well your club does, but one team does not make a league. Contraction to six clubs after the first season, elimination/replacement of some franchises after its second, does not represent stability. Quite the opposite.

Given the GBL's business model the hope would be for (more) franchises to be sold to individual owners and reduce central ownership. But that's unlikely until the league has a full complement of six stable since the successful franchises are the ones more likely to sell leaving the league with the unprofitable one (and no profits to balance out those losses).

Still a work in progress

I know this will upset some but the GBL is still far from being "premier" amongst indy leagues.

The AtL, NoL and FL, in spite of their respective turmoil, are "superior" in nearly every regard (years in existence, facilities, locations, talent, attendance). The C-AL and AA, on the whole (ignoring their marquee franchises which are some of the best in all indy ball), are close behind. The GBL is doing as well if not better than other start up indy leagues (ULB, SCL, and CoBL).

In trying to steer this all back "on-topic" this should be all the more self-evident when the two "least" successful NoL clubs (at least attendance-wise) would be #1 and #4 clubs in the GBL. The GBL may well move up the ranks compared to the other leagues but it'll take more than four seasons to get there.

S.Sox
09-24-2007, 04:03 PM
nlfan,

I think any logical GBL fan is aware that the GBL is a level below there older Indy leagues.
It's nice to see that we are in better shape than the recent start up SCL, CoBL, and the ULB.That will lead the GBLto attract the better talent that is not picked up by the MLB or better Indy Leagues.

I think one important thing that people are not talking about is the issue of the GBL's main sponsor Safeway Corp. I believe thier contract is up this winter, hopefully they stay on board!!!

S.Sox

nlfan
09-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Believe me I know that's true. Unfortunately there are others here who seem to disagree judging by some postings and flames. I thought some facts might help shed some light on the topic for those folks.

heavesrock
09-24-2007, 07:09 PM
* Butte had to play in Montana Tech's stadium... their football stadium. That place has had a couple upgrades lately, but I doubt Tech does that and then turns back around to have baseball played in it.

Pardon me, but Montana Tech football stadium is also a baseball stadium, but the baseball part is small: http://mysite.verizon.net/charliesballparks/stadiums/butte.htm

LB Parents
09-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Thank you NLFan!!!!! I like to see that someone did some homework and research. I enjoyed reading it especially when it doesn't contain name calling! I believe the facts say a lot, and also open discussion for interpretation.:rolleyes:

YumaHeat
09-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Sorry people but I don't work in baseball and sorry LB that Mary has informed you that I do and what is peitsch fan saying my predessor in Yuma, I'm on these forums having fun and seeing who is complaining on the outside and acting like they know it all, apparently you don't know it all and to listen to Mary about someone working on the inside, huh thats how stuff gets started on here, I'm from San Diego and I love the Yuma Heat, get it! So is San Diego coming back or not, I gusee I should ask all the know it alls who run the league in these forums right, so answer me.
By the way LB I am Hispanic and love all sports is that ok and I love seeing people make such a big deal out of nothing.

Pietsch Fan
09-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Sorry people but I don't work in baseball and sorry LB that Mary has informed you that I do and what is peitsch fan saying my predessor in Yuma, I'm on these forums having fun and seeing who is complaining on the outside and acting like they know it all, apparently you don't know it all and to listen to Mary about someone working on the inside, huh thats how stuff gets started on here, I'm from San Diego and I love the Yuma Heat, get it! So is San Diego coming back or not, I gusee I should ask all the know it alls who run the league in these forums right, so answer me.
By the way LB I am Hispanic and love all sports is that ok and I love seeing people make such a big deal out of nothing.

Hm, if you *are* from San Diego you must live in Yuma now or why would you say "Padsfan, you need to come to Yuma and get rid of the smog that has messed the brain up”? And you must hate being from San Diego, otherwise why would you tell a fellow San Diegan to “go sip your lattes” as if that is somehow an insult to all San Diegans, thus an insult to yourself? You must also be somehow tied to the GBL or why would you say “we will go another year”? Is that we, the GBL, or we, you and the mouse in your pocket? We’ve seen GBL employees here before, the good, the bad and the ugly, and you sound like at least two of the three.

Also, do you love the Yuma Heat (aquatics team or youth baseball team) or the Yuma heat (weather condition)? And, what does being Hispanic have to do with anything?

Just ‘fess up. You are working for Yuma or the GBL in some capacity or another. You’re a green newbie who feels the need to defend Father GBL from the meanies who bad mouth him. Instead of coming over here and ragging on everyone, why don’t you just tell us all the great ideas you have for improving the league and why it’s a great idea for us to take a weekend holiday to Yuma next summer to watch baseball.

Mary (who is also Pietsch Fan, since you seem to have trouble following the bouncing ball).

nlfan
09-25-2007, 10:37 AM
You're welcome LBP.

Given the grief (and absurd arguments) I get about (wanting/using copious) facts and references in my own forums it's nice to know someone appreciates them.

:)

YumaHeat
09-25-2007, 11:51 AM
Mary or pietsch fan, yes I am a greenie and why do you want to be a meanie, I do live in San Diego and frequent Yuma for the heat and to watch baseball there since we don't have the surf dawgs here anymore. I have adopted Yuma as my team and will hopefully adopt back San Diego if they come back. I have met some people on the Yuma staff and they are really nice people and down to earth and make you feel right at home, do you know people in Yuma? The reason I said come to Yuma is and clear the smog is I say this is my second home and I live off College Ave by the college SDSU.

nlfan
10-05-2007, 10:57 PM
The C-Cats just put out a press release (http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3546401) suggesting that they've been given an ultimatum requiring them to put up a $1M bond to get their teams into the 2008 NoL schedule.

More on this in nlfan topic (http://nlfan.yuku.com/topic/1808).

Morris Mott
10-06-2007, 11:37 AM
According to the press release, and what "other" places have posted in response, people are coming down on the NL for this action. But...

Why is everyone thinking the NL is the bad guy here. I read the press release and got a totally different imnpression from it. To me, it just looks like the NL is acting very professional and "making" the Alberta clubs commit one way or another.

By posting the performance bond, the NL is insuring that the Alberta clubs will stay the entire season, and not bolt like the 4 other clubs did back in 2005. It's not an uncommon or unreasonable request, considering the flip flop releases those clubs keep putting out. The CFL has done that sort of thing on a few occasians to it's franchises (Ottawa & Montreal I do believe) as well as the short lived IBA basketball league. The NL had to endure an entire season of rumours that the 2 clubs were leaving, and even had to put up with the Vipers threatening to pull out of the NL playoffs. Any League worth it's salt would not allow members to act in such an un-professional manner and by having the clubs put up the perormance bond, it insures a stable league... for the season at least. Regardless of the arguements and complaints that the Alberta clubs had, they knew all those rumors, press releases and veiled threats were making the League look bad and the NL has probably had enough of it.

If the Alberta clubs want to be in the NL, they have been given an option. Playing the poor, wounded "what-did-I-ever-do-to-you" routine after the season long propaganda campaign those clubs forced us to read about, is the mark of a poorly managed franchise.

It's not like they are paying to stay in the league, after all, they get the bond back at the end of the season... to me, it's a matter of the NL saying... "Enough of this garbage, are you in?... or are you out? Quit crying like a bunch of babies! Put up or shut up!

nlfan
10-06-2007, 01:19 PM
The "other place" where this is being discussed most actively is this nlfan.com topic (http://nlfan.yuku.com/topic/1808). There have been two new press releases (from Calgary & Edmonton) as well as two Canadian news stories cited (from Edmonton & Winnipeg) cited there.

For a GBL fan, the only comments that matter from it are that the Calgary owner has admitted they have had "no talks" with the GBL. This is consistent with what your commissioner has said.

If the AB clubs were to come to the GBL it would have to be settled pretty quickly since no league wants to drag out negotiations and delay scheduling, selling and planning for the 2008 season into next year.

Morris Mott
10-07-2007, 07:25 PM
There have been two new press releases (from Calgary & Edmonton) as well as two Canadian news stories cited (from Edmonton & Winnipeg) cited there.

So, since you had the time to post here, why didn't you provide the links to these stories? Oh, wait, you want us to go to "your" forums instead of discussing it here.

Why do you constantly whore your forums here, rarely ending a post without saying something like... "come to my forums for the whole story and more discussion."?" It's one thing to have links in your signature, it's quite another to constantly have you post..."come to my place"... most every single time you post here, which I consider rather disrepectful to OSC.

Think of OSC as the host of a party. They provide us a place to entertain ourselves. How do you think they feel if a guest was going around the party, sitting in on conversations, but... rather than politely adding to them, like everone else, they told people to "come next door to my party, we're discussing this in more detail over there."

Look, if you want to post here on the subjects listed, then by all means, glad to have your input. If you have more information for us, than please provide it to us. But these continied "I have a better place to read about this.." sort of posts are really getting on my nerves.

nlfan
10-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Give me a break.

First, I'll point out I have posted out direct links in previous posts and you have not (whether to your forums, the OSC NoL forums or anywhere else for that matter). When I do it's because it directly appropriate (as I'll show below in this case).

Except for the opening sentence you cut/paste the exact same text in my forums (here (http://nlfan.yuku.com/reply/10435/t/C-Cats-say----limbo-facing-1M-bond-----2008-schedule.html#reply-10435)). That's called cross-posting and is generally a "no-no" in the world of forums.

Why is it "bad?" Your post is a great example: It's off-topic (for these GBL forums) and not terribly important to GBL fans (why would GBL fans care about the NoL's reputation?). It's also more than twice as long as mine which stayed directly related to the GBL in two of three brief paragraphs.

I put direct links in previous posts and, instead of talking about the NoL's problems, provided links to where they're actively being discussed (unlike here, OSC and other forums). Unlike you I'm not trying to discuss it beyond the context of the GBL here where its innappropriate.

As for my topic link...

In this latest case I linked to my forum's topic because YOU made it applicable.

You post made an offhand comment that "'other' places have posted here in response" which didn't happen here nor did you reference where that actually happened. You never explained yourself or where those comments come from. Excuse me for trying to give some context to your misplaced cross-posting.

Bad Analogies

As for OSC being the host of the party, they are. For GBL fans this IS the place to be --which is why I come here for GBL information. When I post I keep that in mind and (try to) write to this audience (unlike your last two posts). Unlike your site (and forums), I make no claims to be trying to support any leagues other than the NoL and AA. I have no delusions that GBL fans are going suddenly visit my sites on a regular basis --unless there's something will directly affect them, their league or teams.

When I comes to being a bad guest I suggest you review what I pointed out above. You:

(1) Cross posted unchanged content across forums
(2) Gone off well off-topic
(3) Gone on about another league's problems, not the GBL's
(4) Started an unwanted flame war

I don't know how much experience you have with online communities. I have over 25 years experience in online communities (starting in 1982 on 300 baud dial-up BBSs) and know what the rules are. I also have read the OSC Forum Standards (http://www.oursportscentral.com/boards/announcement.php?f=12). I've not broken those either.

====================

Back on topic

As for for those (GBL fans) here who want to go directly (and not to my forums to find this information). The Edmonton story (http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/sports/story.html?id=b4360004-3cd4-4835-ada2-cbaf2d52f5c4), as I previously posted suggests they haven't really had any real talks.:Vipers owner Jeff Gidney breached the possibility of a move to the California-based Golden League last month, while Orlich said the Alberta teams have to be a package deal wherever they go and doesn't think it matters to the local public which independent league his team plays in. However, he said he has not had talks with anyone from the Golden League.This should come as no surprise to anyone here since the GBL office said as much publicly some time ago.

As for new questions that GBL fans might know...

There's a blogger going under the name just joe (http://www.blogger.com/profile/05306772685635317886) who put in a "now missing" entry in her blog (http://justjoesblogspot.blogspot.com/2007/10/team-members-dan-bracci-erica-joe-grant.html) that were going to be "two new expansion teams in Canada." mary (Pietsch Fan) and I have discussed this and mary says that she works with/for the LB Armada.

Does anyone here know that for sure? It might help to know if she would be in a position to know this from the league's side.

Pietsch Fan
10-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Just to clarify. I don't work for the Armada, as you all know, and I don't think the blogger works for the Armada (except as maybe a consultant on this one project she blogged about). What I said was someone on the blogger's team works for the Armada.

Mary - who is looking forward to an announcement about the Canadian teams one way or the other so I can either start saving up for a really long road trip or just another "short" one to St. George.

FlyerFan
10-08-2007, 06:39 PM
The 2 Canadian teams that the league has been considering are Edmonton and Calgary from what I hear. I have also heard that when/if AAA goes to Reno, the Silver Sox would move to Arizona. I have heard nothing about San Diego coming back, but I can ask...I sure hope so! Long Beach will be there next year if what I have been told is true (I have no reason to doubt it). Also, nlfan, your input is greatly appreciated by this fan, so keep up the good work and don't the the nay-sayers get to you.

nlfan
10-08-2007, 07:15 PM
If there is any upset in the current GBL team locations there may be all the more drive to pursue the AB clubs.

The 2005 NoL itself could be a good example. It's hard to say that it was more than pure chance that as the CBL split up (creating the ULB) that the four NoL clubs joined them. The record shows that they never (publicly) announced the merger with those five clubs until well after they left the NoL, but given the personal/professional connections --it was a natural merger of like minds.

* The NoL clubs were "fed up;" the CBL clubs were down to 5
* Agree to merge, in spite of the distances
* Find a quick tenth location to avoid a traveling franchise
* Agree to control expenses for the sake of the league and all teams

Now clearly things are different in the GBL, but there are similarities in that if the GBL is scrambling to find new locations it might do well to take on the AB clubs, preserve (if not expand) the number of clubs.

* Calgary & Edmonton have an offer they (pretty much) have to refuse
* The GBL may lose some locations
* Agree to terms that are equitable to handle airfares and give all respect

As long as costs and personalities don't get in the way, it could work out as a merger. After that, it'll be a matter of how all the pieces work in the future. There are no promises and a lot of (large) questions about how well the teams (and league) will/would fare remain.

----

If anything's clear after all the attacks I get, I rarely, if ever, let naysayers get to me. And with "fans" who actually enjoy my input, how can I stop now? ;)

Shootmaster_44
10-09-2007, 12:09 AM
I still have no idea what the GBL would gain by taking on the Cracker-Cats and Vipers. Unless they decide to do something akin to what the Northern League did when it "merged" with the Northeast League, I can't see any of the teams making this work.

The only way I figure this would work is if the Vipers and Cracker-Cats have a couple prospective owners lined up for cities closer to Alberta. I think both the Vipers and Cracker-Cats were impressed by the facilities and fan support in Saskatoon, so perhaps they have someone lined up to put a team here after all.

Really, based on the musings of both sides of this topic. I don't think the Vipers and Cracker-Cats will be members of the GBL next season. Best case scenario, they start their own league that mirrors the Prairie League/NCL of the mid-90's. If that doesn't happen, I expect about January to hear the Vipers and/or the Cracker-Cats getting on their knees and begging the Northern League to take them back.

Since I'm not overly familiar with the GBL, what can a fan expect in terms of on-field play? Are there any special rules that the GBL uses? Are there roster restrictions on the number of vets? The reason I am curious is apparently the Cracker-Cats will make Saskatoon their home for 3 weeks in July, providing they exist next summer. So I'll temporarily become a Cracker-Cats fan during their stay, no matter which league they participate in.

nlfan
10-12-2007, 10:31 AM
There's a new news story (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/baseball/story/4056577p-4661169c.html) out of Winnipeg about the AB clubs and their interest in the GBL. There's a quote from Outcult that should be of interest to people here:

* WHAT THE GOLDEN LEAGUE SAYS: The Alberta teams have used the threat of leaving for the Golden League as leverage since early summer. We spoke to Golden League commissioner Kevin Outcalt on Thursday.

"We've talked to Calgary and Edmonton about interleague play for 2009. Clark Griffith called us and asked us to talk to the Alberta clubs about interleague play and it's something we'd consider. We'd be open to discuss other options but right now they're members of the Northern League and we wouldn't want to jeopardize the relationship we have with the Northern League. As far as I'm concerned, it looks like they're going to work something out with the Northern League. I haven't talked to anybody from the Alberta teams about expansion or interleague play since early September. Frankly, we're more interested in British Columbia as it fits into our league much better in a geographic sense."This is a slight revision of previous comment of "no talks" (by Gidney) and suggests there is an openness for considering the AB clubs.

The NoL owners' conference call is scheduled for 4:00PM CDT (2:00PM PDT) and the same source (Gary "Lawless," Winnipeg Free Press) says he'll be putting the updates online.

preeths
10-12-2007, 01:51 PM
The Cracker-Cats and Vipers promise a "major announcement" at 2 p.m. MDT today.

Pietsch Fan
10-12-2007, 02:38 PM
The Cracker-Cats and Vipers promise a "major announcement" at 2 p.m. MDT today.

I don't think the announcement will be that much of a surprise to those who have been following things here and at nlfan.com, but it'll be nice to have it finally settled so plans can be made.

Mary

DawgsBooster2
10-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Where would I go to find the press release when it's, um, released? :)

preeths
10-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Keep an eye on OSC! We'll have it up in our baseball section as soon as we get it: http://www.oursportscentral.com/sports/?m_id=Baseball

DawgsBooster2
10-12-2007, 03:10 PM
A bit from the press release: Based on this decision the two Alberta teams today announced they are pursuing discussions with the Golden League to join their expanding roster of teams for the 2008 season and beyond.

So, ok, they're in talks and all, that's cool.

Here is a question I have that's totally, well almost totally, off topic: Is the proper name for the GBL; Golden League or Golden Baseball League?

I understand that folks are using both, so for the sake of casual conversation, I too, use both interchangeably, but really, which is it? :D

nlfan
10-12-2007, 03:59 PM
The C-Cats and Vipers just released an official announcement of joining the GBL:

Vipers and Cracker-Cats out of Northern League (http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3548264)

The Calgary Vipers and Edmonton Cracker-Cats have been notified that they will not be included in the 2008 Northern League schedule. Both teams were informed on Thursday of a Friday deadline to post a $1,000,000 bond or be excluded. As a result of irreconcilable differences, the Calgary Vipers and Edmonton Cracker-Cats are no longer a part of the Northern League.

Based on this decision the two Alberta teams today announced they are pursuing discussions with the Golden League to join their expanding roster of teams for the 2008 season and beyond.

The Golden League, with headquarters in the Bay area of California, has teams in Long Beach, Orange County and Chico, California; Yuma, Arizona; Reno, Nevada and St. George, Utah. Their plans for expansion include a new team in the Bay area in 2009 plus northern locations in Washington, British Columbia and Saskatchewan.So, next season you'll have your first two Canadian clubs.

I've heard that they'll be meeting with GBL on Monday to get things going.

Pietsch Fan
10-12-2007, 04:21 PM
If they are meeting on Monday then I think there is a good chance there will be an agreement by Monday night.

Mary

nlfan
10-12-2007, 04:25 PM
That assumes they already have a general working agreement so they only need to settle some details, hand it to the lawyers to draw up formal contracts and sign them.

Whatever the case, I'll be spreading the word to the AB fans in my forums to come here to start discussing things with GBL fans.

DawgsBooster2
10-12-2007, 04:34 PM
If they are meeting on Monday then I think there is a good chance there will be an agreement by Monday night.

Mary

My guess is Tuesday at the latest.

Minor League Man
10-12-2007, 05:46 PM
I hope in the near future that there will be an all-Canadian league.

Here's how I'd align it:

WESTERN
Calgary Vipers
Edmonton Cracker-Cats
Vancouver Canadians
Winnipeg Goldeyes
EASTERN
Hamilton _____
Montreal Royals
Ottawa Lynx
Quebec Les Capitales

E5
10-13-2007, 03:16 PM
It is unlikely that the Canadians will want to bail on the NWL for a revived CBL. Victoria, maybe.

I am not sure an all-Canadian league will work right now. Too much poison from Tony Riviera's farce from 2003, and far too much travel. Other than Calgary/Edmonton, and Hamilton/Toronto, everyone is pretty much flying.

At any rate, Hopefully the Vipers and Cracker Cats can land in the GBL, and start to build something productive here. It would be nice to be in a league that actually wants us.

~E5
(Doc Halladay)

Shootmaster_44
10-13-2007, 04:58 PM
The Calgary Vipers and Edmonton Cracker-Cats have been notified that they will not be included in the 2008 Northern League schedule. Both teams were informed on Thursday of a Friday deadline to post a $1,000,000 bond or be excluded. As a result of irreconcilable differences, the Calgary Vipers and Edmonton Cracker-Cats are no longer a part of the Northern League.

Based on this decision the two Alberta teams today announced they are pursuing discussions with the Golden League to join their expanding roster of teams for the 2008 season and beyond.

The Golden League, with headquarters in the Bay area of California, has teams in Long Beach, Orange County and Chico, California; Yuma, Arizona; Reno, Nevada and St. George, Utah. Their plans for expansion include a new team in the Bay area in 2009 plus northern locations in Washington, British Columbia and Saskatchewan.

This part excites me, I assume it basically means that Saskatoon is in the running for a GBL team. I just wonder where they will find an owner, unless one of the major corporations decide they want a tax write off. But this is great news for me, granted it doesn't mean that its for sure, but either way my hope for pro ball here is still alive.

Pietsch Fan
10-16-2007, 10:50 AM
No word yet coming out of yesteday's meeting? Did it take place?

Mary

nlfan
10-16-2007, 02:56 PM
I had been told there should be an announcement but there's no sign of any so far. Maybe things are going slower than expected?

Pounder
10-16-2007, 03:14 PM
I can't imagine this negotiation going with any speed.

I can't see any way that the GBL takes these teams on without having a whole northern division, and I really think that takes money the league doesn't have and other investors probably aren't around to provide.

Lethbridge? Medicine Hat? Butte? Hmmm... Bozeman? Pocatello? Lewiston ID?

Shootmaster_44
10-16-2007, 06:11 PM
I can't imagine this negotiation going with any speed.

I can't see any way that the GBL takes these teams on without having a whole northern division, and I really think that takes money the league doesn't have and other investors probably aren't around to provide.

Lethbridge? Medicine Hat? Butte? Hmmm... Bozeman? Pocatello? Lewiston ID?

Perhaps what the GBL will say is they will take on Edmonton and Calgary this year providing that the Vipers and Cracker-Cats can find owners for a Northern Division in 2009. I certainly hope the GBL is willing to take on Edmonton and Calgary, as at this point there are no other leagues that make any better sense for them to join.

The one thing I am wondering about is what the GBL will do with Edmonton next July. The original plan was for the Cracker-Cats to move to Saskatoon while they are thrown out of TELUS Field for a Youth tourney. In the Northern League this worked as it would've been cheaper for teams to travel to Saskatoon than to Edmonton, but now there's an extra distance to travel here. I wonder if the GBL will force the Cracker-Cats on an extended road trip instead of allowing them to set up a temporary home in Saskatoon?

nlfan
10-18-2007, 05:36 PM
They must be busy on something since, according to Bob Wirz' (Indy Baseball Insider) newsletter Kaval say they're "conversing."
Golden League CEO Dave Kaval confirmed Thursday “conversations (with Edmonton and Calgary) are taking place”, and he reminded that “we’ve long had a goal of multiple divisions” while also cautioning that such a decision, like any other, must make sense from a business standpoint.

preeths
10-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Both teams plan media conferences Tuesday afternoon, October 23. There will be some kind of agreement with the GBL announced.

nlfan
10-22-2007, 03:42 PM
The Cracker-Cats just put out this press release:

[quote]October 22, 2007

MEDIA ADVISORY

The Edmonton Cracker-Cats will make a significant announcement this Wednesday (October 24, 2007) at 1:00pm in TELUS Field’s Home Plate Lounge.

Cracker-Cats, Al Coates, Dan Orlich and COO, Darren Parker will be joined by executives from an strong, western based, independent league to announce a newly signed partnership between the ‘Cats and the league.

“This announcement combined with the signings of field manager, Brent Bowers and our new management team will solidify professional baseball in Edmonton for the long-term,” stated Orlich.

WHO: The Edmonton Cracker-Cats
WHAT: Announcing new league affiliation
WHEN: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 – 1:00pm
WHERE: Home Plate Lounge – TELUS Field 10233 – 96th Avenue[quote]I suspect fans here know the above mentioned "executives" are.

FlyerFan
10-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks Nlfan! This is exciting news for the GBL!

DawgsBooster2
10-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Right on. This is indeed good news.

S.Sox
10-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Now perhaps a North vs. South Championship??

North-
Chico
Edm.
Calgary
Reno

South-
LB
Yuma
OC
St G.

Very interesting,

S.Sox

Shootmaster_44
10-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Now perhaps a North vs. South Championship??

North-
Chico
Edm.
Calgary
Reno

South-
LB
Yuma
OC
St G.

Very interesting,

S.Sox

I have a feeling this isn't the end of GBL expansion. One of the articles I read from either the Calgary or Edmonton papers mentioned that it was quite likely Kamloops, BC would be joining the GBL for next season also. I also thought I had read somewhere that another California team would be added for next season.

FlyerFan
10-22-2007, 09:53 PM
The GBL had thoughts of a team in Santa Rosa, near the league office I suppose, but my vote woud be "Bring back the Surf Dawgs!"

YumaHeat
10-23-2007, 12:26 AM
You will see San Diego back in 09 and I can't wait as I'm from S.D. You will see in a few years the GBL will have a league in Canada as thats what it looks like will happen and stay tuned for the news as its done for the Canada teams joining the GBL, so bring on Canada and then the Surf Dawgs!

preeths
10-23-2007, 10:44 AM
That news is scheduled to be released this afternoon, about 3:00 or 4:00 ET, I believe.

S.Sox
10-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Preeths or anyone,

Are you aware of a internet feed where we could watch the news conference?
S.Sox

preeths
10-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Not that I've seen, but we expect media releases from Calgary and Edmonton shortly after the press conferences, maybe even right when they begin. We'll post them on OSC immediately upon receipt.

Silver Sox Fan
10-23-2007, 04:53 PM
GBL has their press release up:

http://www.goldenbaseball.com/ArDisplay.aspx?ID=3951&SecID=303

Pietsch Fan
10-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Congrats GBL on getting the Canadian teams. Looking forward to a 2009 return, please don't let us down :)

Mary

Shootmaster_44
10-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Looks like they only officially added Calgary today. I wonder who the second Canadian team to join in the near future is? lol. I find it funny they try to keep that in veiled secrecy. I guess the league is letting the Cracker-Cats do their announcement tomorrow.

I like how Saskatoon (and to a lesser extent Regina) are mentioned as potential candidates for 2009 expansion franchises in the Calgary release. I'd love to see the Surf Dawgs come to Saskatoon to play the Sheiks (yes that's what the team should be called in my opinion).

FlyerFan
10-23-2007, 07:10 PM
This part of the announcement on the GBL's website particularly intrigued me... Pacific Rim and Latin America...

"The league plans to expand throughout the western states and provinces over the next few years in addition to increasing partnership developments with Pacific Rim and Latin American leagues."

Shootmaster_44
10-23-2007, 09:29 PM
This part of the announcement on the GBL's website particularly intrigued me... Pacific Rim and Latin America...

"The league plans to expand throughout the western states and provinces over the next few years in addition to increasing partnership developments with Pacific Rim and Latin American leagues."

Yeah wasn't that what the Samurai Bears were supposed to lead to? Seems to me there's an Indy league in Japan that they were trying to link up with that year. I also thought there was some talk about linking up with the Tabasco League in Mexico. If they can pull this off, I could see the GBL becoming the top Indy league in North America.

Shootmaster_44
10-24-2007, 05:29 AM
In the Calgary Herald's article in today's paper (http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/sports/story.html?id=84326e36-6978-4b35-98a3-6ff712dafa49) it states:

Gidney expects no such issues with the three-year-old Golden League, which with the addition of Calgary and Edmonton expands to eight teams, with two more Canadian entries possible within two months.

Golden League officials are expected to meet with officials in Kamloops, B.C., and Saskatoon later this week to discuss further expansion.

So it looks like the Golden League wants to be a 10 team league for next summer. For Edmonton and Calgary to be happy, I wonder who the 5th team in their division would be? Off the top of my head I'd think St. George would be the most northern team in the GBL aside from the Canadians.

I would assume that the league would split into a North and South Division featuring 5 teams each. The schedule then would be heavily division based (much like the NHL's schedule), with I'd assume one homestand or an away trip per half against each team in the other division. At least that's how I'd break down the schedule. I'd say you play in the first half 15 games against the other division (6 road and 9 home) and 29 (16 road and 13 home) and then in the 2nd half you flip that 15 games against the other division (9 home and 6 road) and 29 in your own division (13 home and 16 road), thus equating the 88 game schedule. The only other option is to increase the schedule from 88, which I don't see the GBL doing.

The only slightly bad spinoff of this is likely the WMBL's Saskatoon Yellow Jackets would be killed and perhaps Thompson Rivers University's ball team would be homeless.

I question Kamloops though, as the best baseball stadium a cursory Google search brings me is NorBrock Stadium. It currently is home of TRU's ball team. The picture on the City's website looks nice (http://www.tourismkamloops.com/home_showSection_ID_408.html) but it only holds 1,500. They would need to increase seating there by at least another 1,500 by next spring. If its supposedly going to take 2 months for this team to be put together, that puts them in January, only giving them roughly 3 months of useable construction time, as I doubt it would be feasible to work through the winter. Perhaps I am overestimating construction, but to me that doesn't seem like a long enough time to easily add those seats and upgrade the other facilities to accommodate the extra people.

At least here in Saskatoon, no additional seats would need to be added. The facility, while it needs work, is usable for the summer and would be adequate for this season. Of course as has been stated about Cairns Field approximately $1,000,000 of work needs to be done to make it a comfortable park for spectators. But it is by no means a terrible ballpark as the fear was last winter. So at least from my perspective, the more I hear about the Vipers and Cracker-Cats move to the GBL the more I get excited. High level (and hopefully well run) professional baseball will be back in the city.

Pounder
10-24-2007, 10:20 AM
If there's a Canadian division, you can bet the divisions will be 6-4. Do you really think the league would try to force a southern team to make multiple trips north? Even Chico probably couldn't afford it.

I was in Kelowna two years ago. Kelowna would be a better market IMO than Kamloops (not to mention a great place to travel)... I doubt finding a facility there is any easier than Kamloops.

S.Sox
10-24-2007, 10:23 AM
In the Calgary Herald's article in today's paper (http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/sports/story.html?id=84326e36-6978-4b35-98a3-6ff712dafa49) it states:

So it looks like the Golden League wants to be a 10 team league for next summer. For Edmonton and Calgary to be happy, I wonder who the 5th team in their division would be? Off the top of my head I'd think St. George would be the most northern team in the GBL aside from the Canadians.

Would'nt Reno or Chico better fit that need as a northern team??

Also, I'm hoping for one more Canadian team & bring back the Dawgs for a fun 10 team league next season...

S.Sox

Pietsch Fan
10-24-2007, 10:33 AM
I don't see much hope for the Dawgs coming back next year, but what happened to the Grand Junction team? I thought that was a done deal for next year.

Mary - keeping her head down and trying not to breathe to deeply.

Shootmaster_44
10-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Would'nt Reno or Chico better fit that need as a northern team??

Also, I'm hoping for one more Canadian team & bring back the Dawgs for a fun 10 team league next season...

S.Sox

Quite possibly. Like I said I was just basing it off a cursory knowledge of the geography of the league. Either way I'd guess that the league would need to have even division to satisfy the Vipers and Cracker-Cats. So if Kamloops and Saskatoon are in, than one of the US teams would be needed in a North Division.

daddio123450000
10-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Shootmaster 44 - you are right on the mark I think - Edmonton and Calgary likely are just the cornerstones for future moves and I'm sure looking forward to professional ball staying here in Edmonton and from what I've read the GBL is certainly not a step DOWN from the NoL.

sportsnut2000
10-25-2007, 10:10 PM
The Golden League is single A calibre and is a level below the Northern League. I can't see how it's going to work with the average attendance in the Golden League anywhere from 500 to 700 fans and the attendance will drop in Calgary and edmonton.

Shootmaster_44
10-27-2007, 05:10 AM
It looks like Saskatoon is coming closer to being an expansion franchise. In the article in today's Star-Phoenix regarding the GBL's visit to the city, it said the GBL has received feelers from potential Saskatoon investors. Its definitely a step in the right direction.

Compare that to the article I posted from Kamloops, which says that they have no one from the city interested in putting a team there. The best they have are people "who own summer homes" there. Sounds like Kamloops may be out for this season.