PDA

View Full Version : Errors

Silver Sox Fan
06-17-2007, 01:30 AM
Is it me or are there an extremely large number of errors this season? THe Sox alone have 17 including 7 by one player (Devoir).

Looking at tonight's scoreboard, they are the only team not to have an error tonight. Chico had 5 and Yuma had 4. In fact, between the 5 teams that had errors tonight, there were a combined 17 errors or an average of over three per team.

I pretty much followed the league by watching box scores last year (I Lived in DC for a year) but it didn't seem like there were that many then.

So why do you think there are so many errors? Is it because of a lack of skill? Is it because spring training was too short? I'd guess a combo of the two. These guys haven't played together much which leads to some issues and then the lack of skill by some individuals is obviously either not up to par or they need to work through some rust. And with only 76 games, there really isn't a lot of time to do that.

I'd love to hear your opinions on why there are so many errors and what the league could do to fix it.

Pietsch Fan
06-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Is it me or are there an extremely large number of errors this season? THe Sox alone have 17 including 7 by one player (Devoir).

Is Devoir by any chance a shortstop?

Mary

Silver Sox Fan
06-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Yes, he plays shotstop. And it is a mix of throwing anf fielding errors.

ChicoManiac
06-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Yes Devoir is the Reno shortstop...he booted a couple of balls up here in Chico last week but looked like a very good fielder with nice range and a great arm the rest of the time...each year it seems like there are more errors than usual in the first couple of weeks and then the players calm down or get comfortable or just get used to playing everyday...

I remember the first few weeks in the first year of the Outlaws were kind of rocky in the field but it turned out to be a fine fielding team that year except for the 3rd baseman Ryan Lehr....but boy could he hit....

St George has a better team than I thought they would be....they were in our first game on Friday until late and then they hit the heck out of the ball against us last night....I think Yuma will come back to Earth, Reno will start marching up the standings, and the Roadrunners will surprise a lot of teams...

Pietsch Fan
06-17-2007, 02:21 PM
On the Saltdogs web site they included the following in their description of Tony Garcia, the Surf Dawgs short stop, "Posted a .948 FLD% during 71 games at SS, committing only 19 errors". My first thought was *only* 19 errors? It seemed like so many, but apparently that's not a lot for a shortstop. If you think about it, they get many, many more balls hit to them, thus many, many more opportunities for errors.

Mary

Silver Sox Fan
06-17-2007, 09:14 PM
So with a shortened schedule, maybe the GBL should lengthen spring training. I know they like the June start so they can get college kids and the like but with 76 games, it may make for better play during these first few weeks if they weren't a de facto spring training. Maybe they could even combine the AWL with an extended spring training (i.e. spend the money there and invite more players or even have a combined try-out with all the teams there) if the facilities aren't ready because the college teams are still using them. Or do you guys think it is fie the way it is.

ChicoManiac
06-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Looks like today was back to a more normal error rate of seven in the three games according the linescores already posted on the GBL home page....but two were ours in Chico as St. George beat us again....and three belonged to you guys Silver Sox Fan...good luck with the Roadrunners in Pecole....

I was wondering if the GBL was similar to the other Indy leagues so I checked all the boxscores for the other leagues through their first 31 games which is how many the GBL has finished as of tonight....they are so similar it is freaky...here are the numbers...GBL 104 errors...Northern League 104 errors...South Coast League 104 errors....United League 102 errors...American Association 93 errors...CanAm League 93 errors...Atlantic League 80 errors...

I think they could all benefit from a longer spring training....I like that idea and it would also help them market more before the season....even if the college fields weren't available they could still get in their work at a high school or city field...

Silver Sox Fan
06-18-2007, 12:33 AM
Wow, ChicoManiac, thanks for the research. Guess it means indy leagues are really bad or there needs to be more prep time when you basically assemble a new team each year. I'll lean toward the latter.

And as for St. George, the Sox will have their hands full. They got swept on the roadtrip and have to take a 12 our trip back to Reno. IF they left right after tonights game, it would still be about 10 AM before they got back to Reno and game time is 7PM.

The Roadrunners are coming off another win and have the shorter 3 hour trip to Reno so they will be much more rested. I'll be at the game and will be hoping for the best.