PDA

View Full Version : Attendance Figures

LandRoverUT60
06-15-2007, 03:19 AM
I'm just wondering how, so far, the teams in the GBL are doing in the stands. I know it's a bit early, but I'm wandering about my RoadRunners and how they're being recieved around town.

Silver Sox Fan
06-15-2007, 12:01 PM
from Howe Sports Data:

ATTENDANCE REPORT (UNOFFICIAL-BASED ON GAME REPORT INFORMATION)

ST. GEORGE

Yearly total: 5,653
Openings: 5
Average per Game: 1,131

That is last in the GBL; Long Beach is first averaging 2118 over 2 games.

GBLCommish
06-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Hi LandroverUT60,

I was in St. George for the first two games of the year and they had very strong attendance plus a buzz and enthusiasm in the stands from the fans that was impressive. On opening night the stands appeared pretty packed and there was still a line of several hundred or more at the start of the game. I had the pleasure of selling a couple of hundred general admission tickets to the folks in line to get them in the game faster -- it also gave me a good chance to interact with the fans and see how the town was responding to the new team. Excellent support from the business community as well considering that the team built a second level outfield fence and sold it out to sponsors along with advertising on the field that's never been done before in the GBL.

The next night, Friday night, was a bit lighter but still a very good crowd and the same enthusiastic atmosphere. This continued throughout the opening homestand and after the miracle finish of their first win (down 10-4 with two outs in the ninth, they rallied to beat the Orange County Flyers 11-10) there were still fans in the stadium celebrating and mingling with players and coaches on the concourse an hour after the game.

As for numbers, it is one of the smaller ballparks in the GBL at about 2500 seats or so. They won't have the large nights to boost their average like we do in some of our larger stadiums such as Yuma (cap. 7500) and Chico (cap. 4500). Also, I believe that the new management team is reporting turnstile numbers (actual fans in the stadium) instead of the industry standard tickets sold (this paid attendance is always higher than fans at the stadium as you have no-shows of season tickect holders or sponsors that paid for tickets) as they figure out their ticketing system.

Overall, the St. George team is off to a great start with the fans, their managment team is learning quickly and doing well, their on-field promotions and contests are well-run and fun as their on-field host - Devin Dixon - is one of the best I've seen in action, their concessions are reasonably priced, and very imporantly they have a ton of kids running around. On the media side, they are the top story in the local paper -- The Spectrum -- in the sport section each day, they have five games televised on KCSG (Opening night was the first -- radio announcer John Potter did a great job providing the play-by-play for the TV broadcast as well), and they are featured on the TV sports news each night I was there.

Their biggest issue right now is on the field as the team has struggled to a 1-6 start. They do have a number of experienced and impressive players and the Manager/Coaching staff is working at getting the team to a competitive level in the GBL as they've already made several moves.

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commssioner
Golden Baseball League
925-226-2896

Pietsch Fan
06-15-2007, 12:46 PM
If St. George is counting turnstile numbers as attendance, then they are indeed doing quite well. I can remember hearing San Diego attendance numbers and knowing darn well there was barely half that actually sitting in the seats at some times.

Mary

JPotter
06-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Thanks Kevin for all of the nice words. Although the team's record may not show it, the whole situation is awesome. The guys on the team are approachable and eager to interact with the community.

Bruce Hurst Field is one of the nicest ball parks I have ever had the chance to broadcast from. Doing my first TV broadcast on Opening Night just added to the rush of being back in the GBL.

The product on the field will get better and I am excited to see all of the RoadRunners fans when we return on June 20 for the longest homestand of the season.

LandRoverUT60
06-16-2007, 12:23 AM
I just wanted to know that the 'Runners were doing well off the field. I want them to stay around for a long time... Now, on the field is another matter... ;)
When does the online shop for St. George go up?

LandRoverUT60
06-29-2007, 01:05 AM
With the RoadRunners well in last place, how are things now, both in St. George and around the league?

GBLCommish
06-29-2007, 01:55 AM
Hi LRUT60,

Thanks for the question and for checking in! Paid attendance is up so far this year in Yuma, Long Beach, Orange County, and Reno and down just slightly in Chico. However, it's a bit early to tell as many teams have not had that many home games yet and the big 4th of July crowds will be factored in next week. St. George is lagging, but are building a fan base. There management is working hard to upgrade the team on the field, just added two experienced minor leaguers today in Mike Joyce and Santiago Guerrero.

As for reporting turnstile attendance, that is completely their perogative -- Rochester (AAA), for instance, has always done this and doesn't care where they stand in the attendance rankings as long as they have enough people in the ballpark having a good time and spending enough money to make the business work.

Have you been to a Roadrunner game yet? If so, drop me an email and let me know your thoughts and areas of improvement.

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
Golden Baseball League
commish@goldenbaseball.com
925-226-2896