PDA

View Full Version : St. George Website - How Hard is it to Post a Roster?

WiseAndEck
06-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Can somebody please post a roster on the St. George website? Uniform numbers would be nice, but maybe too much to ask. I don't even care if the ages on half the players say 107 like on other GBL rosters. I just want to figure out who is on the team. Box scores, game logs, player headshots, etc. would be nice too. But I guess I'll live with baby steps.

brian

Silver Sox Fan
06-14-2007, 03:08 PM
I definitely understand your frustration. I actually sent an e-mail to the commish on this regarding the Reno webpage. I think you can also read Mary's frustration in the Scott Goodman post above.

The Reno website was not updated for four days with game results and there is still no promotional calendar this far in. Chikazawa wasn't even listed on the roster until the first game but J.J. Johnson listed twice.

We also get very limited coverage in our local paper. I have now seen three box scores for seven games in the paper and the write-ups are scarce and even non-existant on some days. I can only assume that is because the team is not giving it to the paper.

I kind of laughed inside when I heard a Silver Sox commercial say "sign up for the team newsletter to get all the latest news on your favorite Silver Sox player". I have been signed up and I didn't get an e-mail detailing why Brian Keating retired, what Sherrill's injury is that will make him miss six games, or what the status is on a guy Les Lancaster called a real five tool player (J.J. Johnson). He took a foul ball to the face and had to leave the game. In fact, I haven't gotten an e-mail since they advertised firework night about week ago.

I'm a fan who will attend all the games I can. But if we want to get others out, information dissemination is key. I think the teams need to sell their players to the fans like other professional leagues do. Not everyone wants the details I do so I can accept that I won't get them. But when rosters aren't even done or the website goes half a week between updates during the season, it hurts the image of the league to potential fans.

So I guess I am a little frustrated as well especially after surfing other indy league websites--frontier, atlantic, american, etc and seeing they have gametracker, player photos, up to the minute stories, etc. Of course, the GBL is still new but a good website goes a long way to impressing people with the quality of the league before they even see a game.

peeaanuut
06-14-2007, 04:28 PM
This has been a problem since day one. They were better in the first season but far from great. Than last season it just fell apart and this year seems to be the same way. Marketing is key in this game, get people in there to do it and get it done.

WiseAndEck
06-14-2007, 04:31 PM
I agree with you 100%. In fact, I was just about to mention that so many other indy leagues have really nice websites, with tons and tons of information. Yes, this is a relatively new league. So that means the league websites have to be rinky-dink, with nothing new except a few polls every month during the offseason? It actually should be the opposite.

And I'll bring up this whole "GBL games now available on your cell phone" thing one more time. If you have the resources to pull this off, you should have the resources to put box scores, up-to-date rosters, uniform numbers, etc. on your website.

Also, there are almost no photos on the website and the ones that are on there are way too tiny or distorted to actually make out what it is. How are you going to ingratiate fans with the players, when you have no clue what the players even look like? There are no player bios, no career stats, not even a simple mugshot. Heck, I'm an amateur photographer and I would gladly take the headshots for the Flyers for free, as long as they get posted on the website.

Let's spruce these websites up, get rid of the GBL template website, have teams come up with their own site format, etc. And ANY information on the St. George Road Runners would be good. Just because they are an expansion team doesn't meant they should be treated like a red-headed stepchild.

brian

peeaanuut
06-14-2007, 04:40 PM
its actually quite sad when the booster club site looks more professional, is more up to date and has more content than the club itself

http://www.flyersbaseballclub.com/index.php

That is what I tried to do with the fleet club website last year but it sure takes alot of time. With noone to help it got pretty time consuming and I couldnt keep up. heck I cant even keep up with the blog I started.

JPotter
06-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Brian:
Roster for the RoadRunners should be up on the site soon. I have been racking my brain to try and figure out how to post it. I spoke with Kevin Outcalt today and he told me that the web administrators have to post to roster. We have updated everything we can, it is up to the web admins to actually post the roster. Same thing for the schedule...

As for pictures, stories,etc... I am going to write some player feature stories and get some pictures on the site.

Although we may be the new guys in town, the fans of the team and the GBL are going to know about the RoadRunners.

WiseAndEck
06-14-2007, 04:43 PM
its actually quite sad when the booster club site looks more professional, is more up to date and has more content than the club itself

http://www.flyersbaseballclub.com/index.php

It's also sad that I get more information by reading your guys' blogs than I do from anything on the league website. Kudos to you, boo to the GBL.

brian

peeaanuut
06-14-2007, 04:45 PM
let me also toss out this.

I have seen the backend of their site. Its horrible, bulky and poorly designed. Get a real content management system in place, stop using antiquated code (asp) and get with the times. PHP and stylesheet will go a loooong way. Stop the gimmicky menues. Their webmasters are not up to date. Im sure they had a coupon in the local paper or something.

Silver Sox Fan
06-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Funny comment about the coupon. Reminds me of a story I read where a minor league team promised its players "meal money" for road games and, when that became to expensive, began giving them coupons for discounts at Hardees.

Great comments on the websites. I agree that player profiles need more info. I'd like to see stats from all teams they've played on so we don't have to look them up individually on baseball cube? I also think someone should upload at least the final score immediately following the game? If that has to go through an admin person, their shift would end when the last game ends so all the scores are posted then not the middle of the next day.

The counterargument will be that no one is that into the GBL that they can't wait until tomorrow for the scores. To that I would say it will always be that way with that kind of thinking.

preeths
06-14-2007, 05:14 PM
I'll say this. OurSports Central would very much like to get all GBL scores as soon as possible after they become final.

peeaanuut
06-14-2007, 05:24 PM
I'll say this. OurSports Central would very much like to get all GBL scores as soon as possible after they become final.

SEE!!!!! Its not just the fans!!!! We are with you!