PDA

View Full Version : Question for the San Diego posters

Silver Sox Fan
06-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Not to open some old wounds but I was reading some of the older posts here and was just curious if you had found some resolution to your concerns.

Obviously, you keep posting so I assume you still follow the GBL so I was just curious about the following:

1. Do you still think the GBL will fold soon?
2. Do you still think Kaval and Patel have a workable plan for a league or do you think the league needs to find new leadership?
3. has the GBL really burned a lot of bridges that will hurt it down the road (fans, sponsors, personnel)?
4. Has the GBL righted the ship and corrected many of the problems you had with the league?

I really haven't followed the business side too much other than to correspond with the Commish about the lack of brand recongition in Reno and some of my ideas on how to better market the team and the league. And I think Kevin has been very straight forward and user friendly which is a huge plus.

As for me, I will support the Sox to the end (whether that be next year or twenty years from now) because in Reno sports teams come and go and if you wait too long, you'll miss all the fun. And to be candid, I believe that the pending AAA team coming to Reno, if the reports are as true as everyone thinks, will mean the end of the Sox as competition for sponsors, fans, etc. will be too much for our small market to support especially when both teams play on the same night.

DawgsBooster2
06-11-2007, 10:08 PM
1. Do you still think the GBL will fold soon?

I hope not. I’m not inclined to dig through all of my posts, but I am 99.9% sure I never wished the GBL ill. I wish the GBL the opposite actually, and for completely, 100%, selfish reasons. I like minor league sports and now San Diego has lost all of ours: baseball, basketball, soccer, indoor soccer, women’s soccer, ice hockey… all of them. All that’s left are the Padres and Charges. And while I like watching them, they’re to danged expensive for a single parent living off of only $2,084/mo take home. So the GBL fit right in with my finances…but most importantly my heart. The Dawgs owned me. They had me hook, line and sinker and I would have supported them for the long haul.

2. Do you still think Kaval and Patel have a workable plan for a league or do you think the league needs to find new leadership?

I know NOTHING about running a ball club. I’ve told the Commish over and again that I do not envy his position nor his job, but I will say, he’s friggin’ brilliant at it. I have no opinion on Kaval, save that I know that he loves-loves baseball like I do, so that can’t be bad. I also know that in the end it came out that Amit lied to me, personally, many times so I’d be ok if he were to be bought out. As far as I’m concerned the Commish has repaired MUCH of Amit’s damage down here with the fans. Mary and I weren’t the only ones feeling the way we were, it was just that we were the vocal ones and the letter writers (both good (to sponsors, radio programs and TV shows) and bad (to the GBL directly). Many of the former Kennel Club members who were as PO’d as we were have also been brought around by the Commish’s kindness and generosity (and one must admit, smart business acumen).

3. Has the GBL really burned a lot of bridges that will hurt it down the road (fans, sponsors, personnel)?

Yes. When looking for sponsors last year I ran into more than 7 which stated they’d never again do business with the GBL. I work at SDSU and although admittedly I’m not privy to the exact contract I am a member of the Business and Financial Affairs Department and it is pretty clear that the GBL won’t ever be welcomed back to Tony Gwynn Stadium. (Here’s where I say I like USD better anyway!) LOL As for fans, I dunno, San Diego is a minor league team wasteland right now so we’d drink any color cool-aid at this point. And for personnel, there will ALWAYS be someone wanting in on the ground floor of a pro (even Indy) team.

4. Has the GBL righted the ship and corrected many of the problems you had with the league?

Yes, thanks only to the Commish. He’s been honest with us (Mary and I). When we ask a question he can’t answer or doesn’t wish to, he says so. He doesn’t lie and give an answer he thinks we want to hear (*ahem*…Amit…*ahem*). He even tells us news we don’t like.

There’s more I’d like to say, but I’m on my sister’s computer and she needs to get some take-home work done and I need to put my son to bed. I’ll comment more once Mary posts…. We’re practically the same person anyway! LOL