PDA

View Full Version : Future Expansion Plans?

Silver Sox Fan
06-11-2007, 03:27 PM
I notice a few OT posts in the Chico vs. Reno post so I thought I'd start a new one.

Where is the GBL headed next? Last I heard Grand Junction should be in the league by next year. Mulcahy pointed out a few locations he would pick.

I've said it before but I would look at Travis Credit Union Park in Vacaville. The stadium is nice (though some GBL financed improvements wouldn't hurt), it is centrally located between the Bay Area (MLB teams) and Sac (AAA Team), and it in a place that did well with the WBL team even though that league was not that good.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, the owner decided to close the stadium as the only one playing there was a wood bat collegiate league. I know I have read the GBL was interested in the location before. I personally love the area and did many a national guard drill weekend there. That stadium is right near great restaurants, an outlet mall, theaters, and hotels.

And best of all, there is a stadium there you don't have to share with a college team. It still bugs me a little that the GBL season was shortened and started later due to college committments at the stadiums they use. It would be nice to not have to deal with that.

I am not sure if it would make sense finacially for the GBL, but I for one would love to see a team there. It would even be a little shorter drive to watch an away game than Chico for us Sox fans.

JPotter
06-11-2007, 03:53 PM
If the league could make it work financially, I would mind seeing the league put one or two teams in the metro-Pheonix area. Mesa and Surprise had some good showings, but multiple factors led to their demise. You have Glendale, Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa and Surprise all with decent enough stadiums to host the GBL. I loved my summer there, even with the massive heat. Putting Phoenix back in the mix would give more geographic rivals to both St. George and Yuma.

Just a thought...

Pietsch Fan
06-11-2007, 04:05 PM
If the league could make it work financially, I would mind seeing the league put one or two teams in the metro-Pheonix area. Mesa and Surprise had some good showings, but multiple factors led to their demise. You have Glendale, Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa and Surprise all with decent enough stadiums to host the GBL. I loved my summer there, even with the massive heat. Putting Phoenix back in the mix would give more geographic rivals to both St. George and Yuma.

Just a thought...

I may be wrong, but I would think part of the reason for the demise of Mesa and Surprise is that they're in each others back yard. Maybe one would survive where two couldn't.

Mary

JPotter
06-11-2007, 04:42 PM
If that were true, how do you explain the success of Long Beach and Orange County? They are closer to each other then Mesa and Surprise are.

I agree with you Mary that one team in the Phoenix area could work. I would personally love to see a team be put into Diablo Stadium where the Angels have spring training. Nice facility and close off Interstate 10. Just my personal preference! (Although I am a Dodgers fan)

Pietsch Fan
06-11-2007, 06:06 PM
The Phoenix cities might be further away, but the LA/Orange County (seriously, no one out here calls it OC) area is much more populated, and the two areas are much different demographically and physically. Maybe that's why they can support the two teams. When I was in Peoria last September I ran into former Mesa and Surprise host families. They really miss the GBL out there.

Mary

written word
06-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Suprise and Mesa are more than an hour away from each other in rush hour traffic, when games are usually scheduled. Those teams weren't in competition with each other they just get swallowed up in a market with a heck of a lot more to do than Reno or Yuma or St. George. It's the same reason the Surf Dawgs drew so poorly before they folded. If you can see the Padres or D-Backs and pay $5 for a standing ticket why would you pay $6 for a GBL game?

heavesrock
06-11-2007, 11:23 PM
I think they should move the Surf Dogs to Oceanside and put up a new park there. Also, has anyone considered Lodi?