PDA

View Full Version : Is it "we" or "they" when referring to a team?

Silver Sox Fan
06-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Just a fun question I'd love feedback on. We always here people referring to their team in the first person with comments like:

We need to work on mechanics

We need to get a new pitcher

We need to do the little things right

Since these people are not actually on the team, shouldn't it be "they"? They need to work on mechanics, they need a new pitcher, they need to do the little things right? I must admit I usually put myself in the category of saying "they" since I have not played organized ball above the high school level and nothing I can do physically will ever affect the team's performance. And my name doesn't appear on any team documents, rosters, staff, etc.

But after tallying receipts for a weekend of Silver Sox baseball, I found that I spent about $180 on tickets, souvenirs, and concessions. One could say I invested that money in our team and that our team is only able to operate at all because people like me and the thousands of others who came to Peccole invested money in team operations. So from that standpoint, we do have a stake in this team financially and it is our city that they represent. So does that me we can say "we" when referring to the team?

Again, not really a serious question. Just asked because of a pet peeve I always had when a 400 pound guy who gets winded walking to the refrigerator says "we need to show more heart on the field because we just quit out there" seemed like an insult to the professional athlete who busts his hump for hours a day and for little guaranteed money until they reach the pros.

Thoughts?

Mulcahy
06-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Usually I say "they" when referring to the team... but if I'm getting frustrated or caught up in the moment, I'll say something like, "Geez, why can't we ever get a hit when we have someone on second??"

dmbishop
06-11-2007, 03:58 PM
It's only "we" if you are a member of the team or otherwise involved with them (and I don't mean just emotionally).

Pietsch Fan
06-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Just a fun question I'd love feedback on. We always here people referring to their team in the first person with comments like:

We need to work on mechanics

We need to get a new pitcher

We need to do the little things right

Since these people are not actually on the team, shouldn't it be "they"? They need to work on mechanics, they need a new pitcher, they need to do the little things right? I must admit I usually put myself in the category of saying "they" since I have not played organized ball above the high school level and nothing I can do physically will ever affect the team's performance. And my name doesn't appear on any team documents, rosters, staff, etc.

But after tallying receipts for a weekend of Silver Sox baseball, I found that I spent about $180 on tickets, souvenirs, and concessions. One could say I invested that money in our team and that our team is only able to operate at all because people like me and the thousands of others who came to Peccole invested money in team operations. So from that standpoint, we do have a stake in this team financially and it is our city that they represent. So does that me we can say "we" when referring to the team?

Again, not really a serious question. Just asked because of a pet peeve I always had when a 400 pound guy who gets winded walking to the refrigerator says "we need to show more heart on the field because we just quit out there" seemed like an insult to the professional athlete who busts his hump for hours a day and for little guaranteed money until they reach the pros.

Thoughts?

Using your example above I would say it calls for we when you're saying something positive or constructive and duct tape when you want to say something negative. :)

I think in most people's hearts the home team is "my" team and I is part of we, so we. Except when it's the top of the 7th and you really got to go, then it's wee wee.

Mary

Silver Sox Fan
06-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Mary: Perfect silly answer to a perfectly silly question!

DawgsBooster2
06-11-2007, 07:25 PM
For me it's "we".

Those are 'my' Padres and if the score ends in the Padres favor then I say 'we won'. The same for 'we lose'.

heavesrock
06-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Just asked because of a pet peeve I always had when a 400 pound guy who gets winded walking to the refrigerator says "we need to show more heart on the field because we just quit out there" seemed like an insult to the professional athlete who busts his hump for hours a day and for little guaranteed money until they reach the pros.

When you play ball at a high leve you put yourself in a position where people expect things from you and because you are playing at that level you are to deliver. If you do not, than that 400 pound fan has the right to riducule you for not showing heart because you have not delivered on your expectations.

SportsBiz
06-12-2007, 01:29 AM
Believe it or not, this whole "we won" "they lost" concept has been studied for psychology and sport management. BIRGing and CORFing:

Check it out:
http://www.units.muohio.edu/psybersite/fans/bc.shtml

Interesting stuff!