PDA

View Full Version : Why are there so few day games?

Silver Sox Fan
06-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Is there a specific reason or is it "just because"?

Only OC and LB have them; the other four don't and those two teams only have them on Sunday.

I would love to see day games to mix it up a little. It is nice to be out in the sun, it leaves the evening open to go to dinner or whatever, and it allows pictures to come out better :)

Pietsch Fan
06-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Is there a specific reason or is it "just because"?

Only OC and LB have them; the other four don't and those two teams only have them on Sunday.

I would love to see day games to mix it up a little. It is nice to be out in the sun, it leaves the evening open to go to dinner or whatever, and it allows pictures to come out better :)

I'm with you on the picture taking, but having seen games in Yuma, Reno and Chico I can tell you the players and fans would be dropping from heat exhaustion if they'd played games during the day in those places. I assume it's just as hot in St. George.

Mary

Mulcahy
06-08-2007, 04:29 PM
I remember they had one day game last year on a weekday and there was probably only 400-500 people there and it was way too hot to sit in the bleachers.

flyersgm
06-09-2007, 10:20 AM
If I had my way, we would play nothing but day games...baseball in the sun...home for dinner...would be nice, but it is all about the economics of it (not many would come, and yes, the heat is an issue).

Each season we look at doing some day camp games, but have not sold enough tickets to do so...

Hopefully in 08 in OC we will play a day game each home stand...sort of the "getaway day" thing that is done in MLB. I know the players and coaches love day games...

We shall see...if you all want to assist us in selling 2,000 tickets for a day game, give me a call!! :-)

Ed

Silver Sox Fan
06-09-2007, 01:06 PM
That is too bad on the attendance. I would think a Saturday afternnoon game would really attract whether it be at 1PM or, if is too hot, at 4PM. And of course, not every Saturday. Getaway games would be difficult since people have to work and I am sure it is easier to justify leaving work for an Angels game than a Flyers game.

And, Ed, I'd love to help but my full time job with the Army and my geographical location (Reno) seem to be inhibitors. Plus I'd feel guilty donating my free time to anyone but the Sox :)

flyersgm
06-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Can the Flyers at least be your 2nd favorite team in the GBL? :-)

Silver Sox Fan
06-10-2007, 08:41 PM
But of course...I graduated from Cal Poly Pomona and spent a lot of time in OC/Fullerton when I lived there.

One other question on day games, isn't there a concern about attendance? If you start a game at 6:00 or so on a Sunday, isn't that rought to get people out? As I said, OC and LB have earlier starts but the others don't. I'll have to check box scores tomorrow but a late game on Sunday seems like it would be a tough sell.