PDA

View Full Version : Bush League Umpiring

Silver Sox Fan
06-08-2007, 12:30 AM
We had a strange thing happen at the Sox game tonight. About the end of the 7th, the umpire threw out the PA announcer. That's right, the PA announcer. What was the offense? Well, he played the sound bite from Major League that says "We got hosed on that play". So the umpire threw him out and made Les Lancaster tell him.

So for the rest of the game there were no announcements...no player introductions, no music, no anything. Very weird. Not sure who Umpire #45 is but he needs to have a thicker skin. The GBL plays with only two umpires so there will be a few close calls. I don't think that sound bite warranted a toss but whatever.

I'll write more about the game on my blog. Please check it out and comment if you have time: renosilversox.blogspot.com. Sorry, shameless plug.

Keith

Mulcahy
06-08-2007, 01:00 AM
I was wondering why there weren't intro songs after the 7th inning... I was kind of glad because they really blast out the speakers and my eardrums were ringing.

heavesrock
06-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Thats rather amusing actually.

Pietsch Fan
06-08-2007, 01:40 PM
We had a strange thing happen at the Sox game tonight. About the end of the 7th, the umpire threw out the PA announcer. That's right, the PA announcer. What was the offense? Well, he played the sound bite from Major League that says "We got hosed on that play". So the umpire threw him out and made Les Lancaster tell him.

So for the rest of the game there were no announcements...no player introductions, no music, no anything. Very weird. Not sure who Umpire #45 is but he needs to have a thicker skin. The GBL plays with only two umpires so there will be a few close calls. I don't think that sound bite warranted a toss but whatever.

I'll write more about the game on my blog. Please check it out and comment if you have time: renosilversox.blogspot.com. Sorry, shameless plug.

Keith

Is that the announcer that TK got so peeved that he went up to the booth to throttle him? Maybe Reno ought to think about getting an announcer with a better sense of sportsmanship. Humour doesn't have to be mean.

Mary

jesso
06-08-2007, 01:47 PM
The same thing happened the last year of the St. George Pioneerzz. The umpire turned around, pointed right to the press box, and threw him out. At that point, everyone in the stands became an active participant in the "Waste Management: Trash Talker of the Game" contest.

ChicoManiac
06-08-2007, 01:48 PM
A great game last night and win for the Outlaws.....wish I could stay in Reno for the rest of the series but have to work today.....drive last home was just under 3 hours so I'm not going to do that very often but couldn't miss the opener against our arch rival Silver Sox.

I thought the funny thing about the PA announcer getting tossed was the way the umpire did it....pointed at the press box and used a big 'ol windup and threw him out of the entire stadium...classic.

We had lot's of problems with that announcer last year as his style is to ridicule and embarrass and get laughs.....last year he was on the opposing players with questionable sound bytes about their appearance or manliness...he even got into a fight with San Diego Manager Terry Kennedy who stormed the press box one game....our players hate the guy.....at least last night he layed off the players perhaps he was told to clean his act up to keep his job...I understand he is a local radio DJ in Reno but don't think it's Don Imus...the Silver Sox should go a different direction and get a more positive and fun announcer in line with the family fun atmosphere at Pecole...hope the umpire doesn't quit as he did a fine job behind the plate.

Go Outlaws....in first place in the GBL!

peeaanuut
06-08-2007, 02:03 PM
I have seen a few announcers get tossed for the same kind of stunt. There is funny and than there is just stupid. That kind of crap from an announcer is just stupid and completely unnecessary. You hinder the game you get tossed. Good for the ump.

DawgsBooster2
06-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Why would Reno allow the same idiot to keep doing the same idiot stuff? I'd hate to be home town fan and have to explain to my 11 year-old son that what the announcer was saying/doing was not appropriate and shouldn't be emulated.

The GBL is competing for the movie goer’s dollar, the family night out dollar, the down-home-small-town-feel dollar and this is not the way to get it.

The Reno front office needs to hear the dissenting voices then maybe they'll consider making a change. Seriously, I can't stand hecklers and I enjoy confronting them and getting them to stop or at least bring it down a notch.

Silver Sox Fan
06-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Wow, definitely a different reaction that I expected that is for sure.

If we go off past history, then yeah I guess I can probably see the umpire's position. But on the basis of the one incident, it was way overblown.

We have all gone to game where a guys strikes out and some funny line or soundbite is played. No problem. We have seen managers yell at umpires. As long as it isn't a personal attack, no problem.

This wasn't a personal attack. If the guy said (not the soundbite) "that was a horrible call"; everyone chant 'the umpire an idiot' " then I could see it. But again, maybe this was the last straw in a line of unheeded warnings we don't know about.

It was just odd. It would be nice if they brought someone in to simply announce batters after the guy was booted. It was dead quiet on the PA. Of course, this got the crowd very loud which was nice.

And yes, the PA announcer is a local DJ. He was on the air talking about the incident. He even said the umpire made the right call...it was close enough that he played the sound byte after the fans booed. In that light, the comment seemed appropriate as I believe the PA/sound effect guy is there to enhance the game, play off the crowds emotion, and ge the fans behind the team. Oddly enough, he did just that by getting ejected.

GBLCommish
06-08-2007, 05:19 PM
With all the discussion on this topic, thought you guys might like to know the process and result of the incident:

Keith is correct that the PA announcer, Mike Anthony, does an excellent job in Reno in general and is one of the top announcers in the league at keeping a lively and fun atmosphere and the fans absolutely adore him. However, last year there were some early season incidents, including the famous altercation with Terry Kennedy in the press box, where he was getting on players and that was eliminated from his act. GBL Announcers, like most in minor league baseball, are entertainers that have autonomy during a game to do their jobs. They do understand certain standards must be met, including no negative or demeaning use of the PA system.

Mike admits he blew it by playing a negative sound byte, this one directed at the umpire, is contrite about it, and understands he is accountable for his actions and the results last night and faces discipline.

After reviewing the umpire ejection report, a fairly unique one given that we haven't had an Announcer ejected before, and discussing the event with the folks in Reno and the GBL Supervisor of Officials, here's what we are going to do:

- Mike will issue a public apology at the Reno/Chico game tonight to the umpire crew.
- He will no longer use sound bytes or annoucements aimed at the umpires of any type during the game.
- To gain a better perspective of the skill needed to be a professional umpire, he will then take the field for the first inning on the 3rd baseline as the third umpire. He will be in complete umpire uniform and make easy calls, if any. Any close plays will be called by the professional umpires on the field so the integrity of the game is not affected. He will then return to the press box at the end of the inning.

Our only open issue is how to handle the PA during the first inning, but we'll figure that out.

Keith -- looking forward to what should be an interesting post on your blog tomorrow at renosilversox.blogspot.com.

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
Golden Baseball League
925-226-2896

DawgsBooster2
06-08-2007, 07:47 PM
- To gain a better perspective of the skill needed to be a professional umpire, he will then take the field for the first inning on the 3rd baseline as the third umpire. He will be in complete umpire uniform and make easy calls, if any. Any close plays will be called by the professional umpires on the field so the integrity of the game is not affected. He will then return to the press box at the end of the inning.

Holy baseball gods in heaven above. Commish anytime you want to punish me like this, I'm game.

heavesrock
06-08-2007, 08:10 PM
To gain a better perspective of the skill needed to be a professional umpire, he will then take the field for the first inning on the 3rd baseline as the third umpire. He will be in complete umpire uniform and make easy calls, if any. Any close plays will be called by the professional umpires on the field so the integrity of the game is not affected. He will then return to the press box at the end of the inning.

I'm surprised you didn't think of it as a promotion first. Have a local personality be an umpire for an inning!

GBLCommish
06-09-2007, 03:05 AM
Damn, Heavesrock, as usual you are two steps ahead of me!

Mike did a great job in Reno tonight both as an umpire and a PA announcer. The media reaction to this has been a bit surprising as it's been picked up by hundreds of newspapers and television stations and both ESPN and ABC rolled television trucks to the game tonight to get live shots of Mike in action as an ump. I'm pretty certain that this ends Mike's umpire career and should be the only episode of mandatory disciplinary umpiring that the GBL will ever have.

Best Regards,
Kevin

Silver Sox Fan
06-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the kind words about my blog, Commish. I did indeed write about last night's game and put up a picture of Mike doing the job at 3rd Base.

http://renosilversox.blogspot.com/