PDA

View Full Version : Longest Name in Professional Sports

Minor League Man
06-05-2007, 02:53 PM
I guess the Long Beach Armada wanted to outdo the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in length. So, here's their new name:

"And now, here's the lineup for your Long Beach Armada of Los Angeles of California of the United States of North America Including Barrow, Alaska!"

Thank God they're just going to be the Long Beach Armada on their uniforms!

rider
06-05-2007, 03:16 PM
What A Unprofessional Joke!

heavesrock
06-05-2007, 03:18 PM
On the Yuma ticket section it list LB games as "Los Angeles"

TheStandard
06-05-2007, 03:27 PM
well its Long Beach but Los Angeles County :-)

Now the LA Angels of Anahiem is a joke. Honestly they should be called the Anahiem Angels of Orange County or the Orange County Angels

Pietsch Fan
06-05-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm all for any publicity stunt that gets the GBL name out there, but doesn't ruin the actual game playing. Love the name change for publicity, hated the All Star game being single handedly lost for the South for publicity.

Mary

ChicoManiac
06-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Can't wait to start the "Beat LA!" chant, or the LA S***s chant, when the Armada come to Nettleton Stadium.....we're SF Giants fans up here so we are already good at it and predisposed to hating anything LA.

I see it as a fun press release that makes a lot of sense given the Angels name and the Orange County name change by the Fullerton Flyers...fun is a big part of the minor league character and I'm glad to see it coming out in Long Beach as the show was kind of boring there last year.....

PeachFan.....I was there at the Net last year when Juiceboy blew most of the South's lead last year.....although Van Meetren won it with a later homer off someone else.....Scott Goodman was a god in the home run derby and I hear he's back in the league with Orange County this year....wish he was an Outlaw....

Go Outlaws, Beat LA!

Silver Sox Fan
06-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Odd press release...I was about to post on this very topic when I saw in the Reno Silver Sox schedule that the Armada were called the Los Angeles Armada. Reading above, I guess the Sox aren't the only ones putting that in their schedule.

DawgsBooster2
06-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Can't wait to start the "Beat LA!" chant, or the LA S***s chant, when the Armada come to Nettleton Stadium.....we're SF Giants fans up here so we are already good at it and predisposed to hating anything LA.

I see it as a fun press release that makes a lot of sense given the Angels name and the Orange County name change by the Fullerton Flyers...fun is a big part of the minor league character and I'm glad to see it coming out in Long Beach as the show was kind of boring there last year.....

PeachFan.....I was there at the Net last year when Juiceboy blew most of the South's lead last year.....although Van Meetren won it with a later homer off someone else.....Scott Goodman was a god in the home run derby and I hear he's back in the league with Orange County this year....wish he was an Outlaw....

Go Outlaws, Beat LA!

Goodie is a good guy too, which makes it even more fun to cheer for him.

I'm ok with the name changes, too, it doesn't change the game on the field, so it's all good.

Yvonne

peeaanuut
06-06-2007, 01:34 AM
I do have to say the name is not catchy at all. And what did work for the Angels (increased Revenue and stronger players on the field which leads to a winning team), will not work for the Armada. The team and the league need to game quite a bit more legitimacy before barreling off into crazy town. Concidering that Conseco made the league known as the Steroid League, I am quite certain this "name change" can only be a negative overall.

I cannot imagine what would drive them to make a change like this. There is no marketing involved here. This is a local team and it will not survive without local support. You can get all the national attention you want, but if you cannot hold onto your fans, and in LB the fan base is not young, it is an older and slightly more conservative crowd, than you will not make money.

Sure a paper or 2 out of state might be interested, but they are not coming to the game buying seats, hot dogs and beer.

Lets start marketing these teams for what they are, local small town teams. Granted Long Beach isn't a small town, but it also isn't a major metropolis with the weight and support to carry a large team.

This will alienate a large fan base and especially the casual fan that does not want to be affiliated with a team that is know as a joke.

So lets change the name back, lets have a quality presentation of good ball, because as of this name change that is all this team has, good ball. And you are not going to be able to show people that this is a good game by making up stupid names and ridiculous gimmicks. Because gimmicks might amuse the fans that are already there but it will not put more butts into the seats. Armada front office be prepared to refund some season tickets......

All of these teams with their funny promotions have detracted from the most important thing. The game. Remember the one on the field? Lets remember that. Its Baseball, Americas pastime.

END RANT

Will I still go to the games? Sure
Will I still support the team? You betcha

DawgsBooster2
06-06-2007, 01:50 AM
This is completely idiotic. It's one thing to do something a little off the wall but this is simply a ridiculous attempt at publicity.

Ok so that end of it worked but that is about all.

Come on, clean up the act, lose the goofy garbage and play ball. Concentrate on getting quality players in the league and finding locations that will support teams. Don't go doing things that will alienate fans like this goofy name change.

On a positive note the league has sold 2 teams which means they can afford to play this season. Maybe soon the buyout of the entire league will go through.

Um. OK, BaseballKid3...

Please do not mistake what I will say in this post and think that I am a GBL Apologist, because if you take the time to look I've lambasted them on more than one occasion.

I feel you're being a entirely and unnecessarily hard a$$ed on this team name thing. See, changing the name to The National Moon Riding Harpoon-Wielding Night Stalkers would not make their play on the field any better or worse than if their name were to remain as it was last year.

The correlation which you are trying to make is preposterous. To try to say that changing a team name would make them less able to perform well is ridiculous.

Tell me that the GBL switches to using gold colored baseballs. Tell me that the GBL is adding three additional innings to each game. Tell me that the GBL is putting a mud pit in centerfield. Tell me any of these things and Id be on your side. But as it stands, Ive got to stand firmly against you. (on this point anyway).

Yvonne

LandRoverUT60
06-06-2007, 02:14 AM
Come on, clean up the act, lose the goofy garbage and play ball. Concentrate on getting quality players in the league and finding locations that will support teams. Don't go doing things that will alienate fans like this goofy name change.

Which is why St. George is going to take the championship...they have a lot of talent, and are focused on playing good baseball. They don't do much BS-ing around...

Pounder
06-06-2007, 12:36 PM
In a world of Survivor and American Idol, what freaking good is credibility?

Well, integrity matters for something, but this sounds like an attempt at humor, not something worth losing a pair of pants over, never mind how unfunny it might be.

Baseball has ALWAYS been fodder for inventive marketing. To grouse about this is, IMO, petty.