PDA

View Full Version : Silver Sox Blog

Silver Sox Fan
06-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Just for the heck of it, I created a Silver Sox blog. I'll try to post on it a couple of times a week but here is the address if you want to check it out:

http://renosilversox.blogspot.com/

GBLCommish
06-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Hi Keith,

Great Blogsite! I couldn't make it up to the spring training game today against Chico afterall, hope to catch you at a future Sox game.

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
Golden Baseball League

Silver Sox Fan
06-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Kevin:

Thanks for the complement on the blog. It may never be more than my personal journal but I enjoy the opportunity to put some thoughts on the blog about your great league. As crazy as it may sound coming from a 33-year old father of three, I think it is awesome I have a hometown team--one where my city and its city match on an address label.

The game today was great--sorry you missed it. As to your question of atmosphere, it is hard to judge during a pre-season game (I only counted about 150 people so it wasn't that loud) but the music selection was pretty good. There were some organ music bits but there definitely coud be more in my opinion (personal taste I guess).

Unfortunately, Peccole is still a UNR field. Hopefully the raising of the championship banner helps to make it a more Silver Sox friendly environment. I think that when the scoreboard says Univeristy of Nevada as does the marquee out front it does detract somewhat from the professional feel. I am not sure what your lease is with the school but maybe you could get some signeage that goes over that kind of stuff during your season that says Silver Sox instead.

And in that spirit, I thought of a couple of things you could do for free that would make positive changes.

1. I noticed that all the Silver Sox gear says just the team name. How about during your next acquisition of merchandise you add the term "professional baseball" or "professional baseball club" under the Silver Sox name/logo? Small thing but it sets the right tone.

2. How about a weekly podcast (maybe as short as 15 minutes) with news from aroud the league? I saw your comments on the 17-year old with Yuma and the game he pitched. If you had a chance to tell fans everywhere in the league what was going on it might generate more interest when a certain team or player came to town.

Anyway, I appreciate you listening to my ideas. I have zero baseball operations experience so it is simply my two cents without a knowledge of your budgets and agreements. I'm just a fan so thanks for letting me put some things out there. Of course, once I retire from the military in 8 years, I'll be bugging you for an operations internship (unpaid of course) so I can fix that zero baseball operations experience thing :)

See you at the yard.

Keith

amazingdv
06-03-2007, 07:07 AM
I like the suggestion of weekly podcast. For someone like me who is still wishing for a local team in Brentwood, CA, I could easily keep with the league.
Danny

DawgsBooster2
06-03-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm groovin' on the pod cast request. Sponsorship for that shouldn't be too hard to get either. But I know I'd rather it be a GBL pod cast as opposed a team by team pod cast.

JPotter
06-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Keith:

Let me add my congratulations for the great blogsite. I will be reading it frequently to get the fan perspective on the Silver Sox.

I also agree there should be a podcast where the voices of the GBL and other staff/players can talk about the games and life on the road. I will do my part since I am the radio voice for the Roadrunners in St. George.

I look forward to meeting with you when St. George makes its first trip to Peccole on June 18.

Cheers~

peeaanuut
06-04-2007, 03:20 PM
I like the site. It has a really nice feel. I had tried to get together a GBL fan site that was blog based but it never really got off the ground. Blogspot uses basically the same format as wordpress and has a really nice feel about it.

Maybe we can work on getting a site like that up where people can post a blog about their team and it could all be in one place. We could even integrate photos, audio (podcast for those who wish to do it) or anything else we can do. Not so much a msg board though since that takes time to maintain and these boards are already great.

Silver Sox Fan
06-04-2007, 03:42 PM
John--thanks for the compliment. I won't be at the game on the 18th (duaghter's birthday party) but I will be there on the 19th. I must admit I haven't seen a photo of you so I can just ask around for you. I try to always wear my Yomiuri Giants hat so I should be easy to spot from that aspect. As for the podcast, maybe you could push that one for us since you are already a broadcaster with the league. I hope it works out. Congrats on getting the Roadrunner job, by the way.

Peeaaanut: I'd love to be part of a league blog. I think it would be a great way of hearing about each team from the the folks who actually watch it. I was thinking of finding a photohosting site after seeing your awesome photos. If we can roll it all together, that would be great!

peeaanuut
06-04-2007, 03:50 PM
well my thought is this. I can put together a site that runs on wordpress. Its a really easy web management software that can be used to post blogs to (even mobile blogging from a cellphone/PDA) Live game updates anyone? lol. Also the photo management software called Gallery really integrates nicely into it. That is the same software that I currently use on my site. We don't have to use the same layout as my site but it is a good base and can be easily altered.

We can have multiple bloggers and photo uploaders as well as we can have individual pages dedicated to each team, etc. It would not take that long to get it set up, I would just need to contact my server company and get it tacked onto my existing server so there would be no extra cost.

Also as a bonus, when we do decide to do this, I will be able to import your entire blog into the site so you will not lose any of your postings.

Give me a few days to get it set up and going and go from there.

Good?

Silver Sox Fan
06-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Actually, I'd like to keep my own blogsite for a while but would be more than happy to post stories and pictures to your overall league site. I want to give it a go on my own first since my goal is primarily to bring some interest to the Reno Silver Sox and I already sent my site to a bunch of search engines.

But I'd definitely consider moving my blog onto your site in the future if we had strong blogs for all the teams instead of just LB and Reno.

Just my two cents...

peeaanuut
06-04-2007, 04:52 PM
No worries on that. I think a seperate blog would be good as well. Would give more focus on your team, especially if you are correct and we don't get any other bloggers other than you and me. lol