PDA

View Full Version : PBL and Direct TV

a1sports
05-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Looks like this may happen, a 5 year deal to braodcast a PBL game of the week on the new Minor league sports channel that Direct TV will offer Jan 2008. I havent gotten all the details but they are certainly working on it.

This is different than Joe sending in a guy to talk about the ABA on ESPN 3 years ago. AFter his 3 minute speech you never saw the guy again and the ABA was never to be on ESPN. Another smart marketing move by Joe. Maybe that was one of his relatives talking? But the owners were oooing and ahhing how great this will be. LOL

TheStandard
05-29-2007, 01:25 PM
well if this is true then i will get to see the PBL during the winter along with Euroleague, Argentina, Mexico, NBDL and and the new FIBA Americas League which starts on December 15th which I may add from my sources that were in the FIBA Americas meeting two weeks ago that the US teams which are two teams will either be two CBA teams or One NBDL team with a CBA team. and those games would be televised via WAPA America on channel 414 on directv and its also on comcast, qwest, rcn and cablevision and i get to see their games right now too. Hey joe. ABA on ESPN??? umm yea i see NBA teams wearing ABA retros on ESPN. umm like the Spurs, Nuggets, Nets, Pacers

dletter
06-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Whats the minor league sports channel on DirectTV? I hadn't heard about it, is there a news story about it?

ABA06er
06-18-2007, 03:30 PM
no PBL and direct tv deal exists - A1sports works for the PBL

everyone knows the PBL is going to fold

OneBetter
06-18-2007, 04:14 PM
and ABA06er works for the ABA. It's too bad you're still not banned from this message board. You come back and immediately start bashing the PBL.

Joe, we'll see who's laughing and who's crying next fall.

tbayz1
06-18-2007, 04:30 PM
ABA06ER + aba_insider=Joe and his gang(Tom Chi? Brad? Dick?) that believes the ABA is superior in minor league basketball

bomp
06-19-2007, 03:47 AM
Hey Chicky:

Still have your security clearance for your job?? Not for long, they tell me. Better talk to those boys in Albany. :eek:

I thought it was called Dreck TV (German translation) ??? ;)

a1sports
06-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Hey 06er....keep up with the idiotic posts and Ill have to post a copy of a letter from Albany, New York reguarding your employer....

now how would that look...the head of ABA officials needing to see the head of NY state employees..tisk tisk....as your boss would say........SHAMEF

Pounder
06-19-2007, 10:24 AM
The ABA is transparent IMO... bash everything that threatens the ponzi scheme, deliberately attract dummies to feed the scheme and weed out the people who weren't as dumb as you thought.

It certainly walks and talks like a weasel.

Strong Island Sound
06-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Looks like this may happen, a 5 year deal to braodcast a PBL game of the week on the new Minor league sports channel that Direct TV will offer Jan 2008. I havent gotten all the details but they are certainly working on it.

This is different than Joe sending in a guy to talk about the ABA on ESPN 3 years ago. AFter his 3 minute speech you never saw the guy again and the ABA was never to be on ESPN. Another smart marketing move by Joe. Maybe that was one of his relatives talking? But the owners were oooing and ahhing how great this will be. LOL
If this does occur, then I feel that it is a big step for all minor league sports. Instead of viewing this as knock against the other basketball leagues (ABA included), it should be applauded as a plus for everyone. Exposure for these leagues is vital for survival, and being televised is as big as you can get.

If the PBL is the league to get covered through DirecTV, good for them. The ABA will get exposure through this outlet just by the announcers explaining where the teams came from and their individual history.

There is always a positive way to look at things, and dwelling on all the negatives is detrimental. Television audiences need to see good crowds in the proper venues. And if the PBL can provide that, then they should be the league to trailblaze televisied minor league basketball in its current state. How can anyone have a gripe with a possible opening night game at Rochester with the visiting Nighthawks (and hopefully Sun Ming Ming) being the inaugural televised broadcast?

DazedAndAmused
06-19-2007, 10:22 PM
...being reasonable and logical. Those traits disqualify you from posting here....didn't you get the memo?

Let's peel away the layers here and what do we have?

1. Minor league basketball is in disarray right now.
2. The ABA is the biggest at present, but not the only culprit. (But the biggest by far.)
3. The possible future success of minor league basketball for any league can only be a positive for the others. (It doesn't have to happen at the expense of others.)
4. The PBL is starting with a seemingly better, yet unproven formula. Yes, the difference is money. One league has it. One league doesn't. Hard feelings related to that basic fact have created a rather infantile exchange on this forum. (We all know who you are.)

If you're an ABA team, try to make it better by putting pressure at the top. Exclude teams that cannot or do not meet their obligations. Do not accept that if someone merely pays a $10k league fee, that that qualifies them to be your competitor. Do the research to find out the true state of affairs. Find out what the lawsuits mean. Find out where the league fees go and insist that the league meets YOUR requirements. That's your only chance. The ABA needs to serve you.

If you believe in the PBL, understand what it is and why it now exists according to the facts on the table. No need to look back. If you stick to what you say, your growth will be slower but healthier. You will truly become the "premier" minor league. But, don't expect to make alot money in this business. You will be expected to put out a better product because you have more to spend. But, fans will quickly realize it is a better product.

TheStandard
06-19-2007, 11:42 PM
yes they will talk about where the teams came from and of what type of league they did come from and why the PBL Was formed and then you hit the ABA where they deserve it to be hit. Talk about all of the antics and then bash joe he like bashes others.

Strong Island Sound
06-22-2007, 05:38 PM
...being reasonable and logical. Those traits disqualify you from posting here....didn't you get the memo?

Let's peel away the layers here and what do we have?

1. Minor league basketball is in disarray right now.
2. The ABA is the biggest at present, but not the only culprit. (But the biggest by far.)
3. The possible future success of minor league basketball for any league can only be a positive for the others. (It doesn't have to happen at the expense of others.)
4. The PBL is starting with a seemingly better, yet unproven formula. Yes, the difference is money. One league has it. One league doesn't. Hard feelings related to that basic fact have created a rather infantile exchange on this forum. (We all know who you are.)

If you're an ABA team, try to make it better by putting pressure at the top. Exclude teams that cannot or do not meet their obligations. Do not accept that if someone merely pays a $10k league fee, that that qualifies them to be your competitor. Do the research to find out the true state of affairs. Find out what the lawsuits mean. Find out where the league fees go and insist that the league meets YOUR requirements. That's your only chance. The ABA needs to serve you.

If you believe in the PBL, understand what it is and why it now exists according to the facts on the table. No need to look back. If you stick to what you say, your growth will be slower but healthier. You will truly become the "premier" minor league. But, don't expect to make alot money in this business. You will be expected to put out a better product because you have more to spend. But, fans will quickly realize it is a better product.
Thanks for the compliment, I guess. I'll be looking for that next memo, though. Sure to be a doozy!

I agree with you to a certain degree that ML basketball is in disarray. The USBL had a rough go this year, same as the WBA. The IBL- I did not follow as closely, but there seemed to be a few wrinkles. The ABA- we've all gone over that numerous times.

The PBL seems to have things going in the right direction. If they can keep all their teams afloat, they will succeed. Even a small amount of steady clubs will go a long way. Hopefully they will get off strong in January and be a model for other leagues. As you said, if one succeeds, all the others can benefit from it in some capacity.

Minor League Man
06-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the compliment, I guess. I'll be looking for that next memo, though. Sure to be a doozy!

I agree with you to a certain degree that ML basketball is in disarray. The USBL had a rough go this year, same as the WBA. The IBL- I did not follow as closely, but there seemed to be a few wrinkles. The ABA- we've all gone over that numerous times.

The PBL seems to have things going in the right direction. If they can keep all their teams afloat, they will succeed. Even a small amount of steady clubs will go a long way. Hopefully they will get off strong in January and be a model for other leagues. As you said, if one succeeds, all the others can benefit from it in some capacity.
So, you like the PBL's business model?

Kinda makes you wanna join, doesn't it?

Strong Island Sound
07-01-2007, 02:37 PM
So, you like the PBL's business model?

Kinda makes you wanna join, doesn't it?
I like any business model that is successful and would give some insight and what to do to succeed, as well. And that is not just for sports teams and leagues. Marketing and promoting can be learned from any business. We will have to wait and see how the PBL does once the season begins and they have a few games under their belt. And I am not in any position to join anything, so I don't even give that any thought. All I am concerned with is to make whatever I am included in the best that it can be.

Irving Thomas
08-13-2007, 06:05 PM
what exactly are the terms of this deal? Ifa andy deal exist...

rider
08-13-2007, 08:38 PM
You assume that they will start , you say we'll have to see after they get some games under their belt! the bigger question is will they sign new franchises with signed leases to get started. They are stuck with no announcements of frasnchises and signed arena leases.Hopefully I'm wrong!