PDA

View Full Version : Could someone run it by me again?

Ken, Steelheads fan
05-16-2007, 12:43 PM
How valuable are D-League teams and how valuable D-League teams are going to be? I don't get the math and I don't understand why anyone would think the Rimrockers have much value.

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2007/05/16/sports/00lead.txt

“There is nobody in the league paying that, nobody. I didn’t even pay that much at Alltel Arena,” Crain said of the facility fee. “That’s $4,500 per game (based on a crowd of 3,000) plus base rent. And the arena keeps 100 percent of concessions. I even had a concessions deal with Alltel.

“We could not get them (Center Board) to examine all of those issues. One of the reasons we originally came here (to La Crosse) was we were originally led to believe we would get a favorable arena agreement. It didn’t hold true.”

If the La Crosse Center Board thought growth of the NBADL was a slam dunk, then they might be willing to bend a little more. However, if Larry Crain also thought growth of the NBADL was a slam dunk then he would be willing to pay the facility fee. Obviously, neither party sees this league as the second coming.

...as a matter of fact. I thought high attendance numbers for La Crosse would be a slam dunk as well. Hmmmmmm. Wouldn't someone be willing to front the facility fee if so? There's a reason why the CBA Bobcats folded and minor league hoops have not returned there in seven years.

Pounder
05-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Of course, this sounds like the MO in LaCrosse the last few years... hockey, indoor football, et cetera. This sounds like a well-worn road.

Ken, Steelheads fan
05-16-2007, 05:16 PM
The La Crosse center board underestimated who they were dealing with, it's like in the Godfather when Vito learns that his son was not battling Tattaglia, it was Barzini all long.

"Tattaglia is a pimp...He never would have out-fought Sonny."
Sounds like La Crosse has been burned in the past and doesn't intend on making the same mistakes. Besides, they are probably more comfortable with at least 51% local ownership. Local ownership with some political ties. Local ownership that can be held accountable. Afterall, the Rimrockers organization DID pack-up and leave North Little Rock without warning. What would stop them from doing the same in La Crosse?

Well, the Rimrockers are gypsies now.

jjbballfan
05-16-2007, 06:08 PM
The NBDL franchises just like the old CBA make money on there lease agreement, looking at the agreement the 1.50 facility fee wasn't too much out of line but no concensions was the big one. I know in Rapid City it wad 50 cents for a 10 dollar ticket and a .25 for a 5 dollar ticket. So if the average ticket cost 20.00 then it would be 1 dollar. Maybe Rapid City will get a look now:)

SignGuyDino
05-19-2007, 02:55 AM
I generally agree the City overestimated the D-League thinking they were despearate. Hell, they went with 6 teams not that long ago. The NBA knows there will be bumps in the road to their eventual goal of 30 D-League teams. They've got lots of time.

I would point out that trade shows will get preferential treatment because right now they are bringing in more $$$. Until or unless the D-League gets real attendance way up that's going to remain true.

DakotaWiz
05-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Not sure if you're aware of this, but the D-League has thrived in the midwest. Dakota and Sioux Falls were both up there in attendance, and if there is similar settings in the region, the D-League should definitely get a franchise there. I'm not sure of how the northeast would work out, but Texas, in my opinion, is doing alright for pro/semi-pro teams.

Ken, Steelheads fan
05-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Not sure if you're aware of this, but the D-League has thrived in the midwest. Dakota and Sioux Falls were both up there in attendance, and if there is similar settings in the region, the D-League should definitely get a franchise there. I'm not sure of how the northeast would work out, but Texas, in my opinion, is doing alright for pro/semi-pro teams.

Dakota and Sioux Falls have thrived season after season continuously in other leagues. They just happen to be in the D-League now. I don't know why professional basketball is so successful in the Dakotas while it generally meets little success everywhere else. I DO know that every minor league hoops exec should study the business models in the Dakotas though.

jjbballfan
05-25-2007, 05:42 PM
The reason that Dakota and Sioux Falls do well is because 1 they have favorable arena deals, 2 the community supports them well, 3 they have great public relations and Sioux Falls has a great owner I dnk about Dakota... Rapid City had great attendence figures in the CBA, Omaha had good attendence figures until the CBA turned to crap... Midwesterns like sports but can't afford to drive 6-12 hours to watch a proffesional team and will support good semi-proffesional teams if the ticket prices arn't rediculous...