PDA

View Full Version : Fort Wayne D-League team name?

Minor League Man
05-12-2007, 12:11 PM
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/sports/17216847.htm
Between:

Lightning
Fire
Coyotes
Mad Ants

What do you think they should be called? (And why wasn't Fury a finalist?)

DakotaWiz
05-12-2007, 01:43 PM
The Fire would probably make the most sense since it sounds a lot like Fury, but I went with Mad Ants. That's a true minor league nickname!

USBasket_EricE
05-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Mad Ants? Wow! That is the most unique type of nickname that I have ever heard! I went with Fire in the poll, just because it has a nicer rhythm.

sportsguy12
05-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Like Utah's finalists ... but I would pick Fire. The other names are stupid. I would've selected Fury by far.

Ken, Steelheads fan
05-13-2007, 05:05 PM
The Fury folded. Why name a new team with new majority owners after an old, folded CBA team? Besides, weren't (aren't?) the Fury in litigation with Isiah Thomas because they claim Thomas ruined their franchise?

There's too much baggage associated with the name Fury.

jjbballfan
05-13-2007, 05:29 PM
The Fury folded. Why name a new team with new majority owners after an old, folded CBA team? Besides, weren't (aren't?) the Fury in litigation with Isiah Thomas because they claim Thomas ruined their franchise?

I don't know what the situation with the Fury and Fort Wayne are but I know that when Rapid City brought an IBL team back after the CBA Thrillers left they blamed the lack of attendence and community support on the name being the same.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Mad Ants is very unique, but I voted for Fire.

sportsguy12
05-13-2007, 07:04 PM

but I don't think the Fury pulled any shenanigans ... it was Thomas. I guess I'm not a big fan of any of these names.

Freedom
05-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Write in - Fort Wayne Jags

Jaguar was an option at one time and they could have kept a cool cat logo like we had with the Fury. But I guess the one I wanted didn't make the cut.

I see where they are going with the Mad Ants, but I voted for Fire

Minor League Man
05-18-2007, 02:36 PM
The contest has begun!

http://www.nba.com/webAction?actionId=surveyInitialize&target=/dleague/fortwayne/name_the_team_contest.jsp&surveyId=1490

Explanation:

Fire (Our players will shoot so well, they will be on Fire!)
I'm voting for that, 'cause I see that the people like alliteration-see Wizards, Fury, Freedom, Fusion)
Lightning (Our players will be as quick as Lightning and rain down thunderous dunks!)
Just generic team name-but at least not as overused as 'Thunder'
Coyotes (Our players will be aggressive and hungry like wily Coyotes!)
Allow us to introduce ourselves. Our name is Fort Wayne Coyotes, Geniuses. Now you are our opponents, and we are the home team, so we are going to beat you. Now, are you going to do this the easy way or the hard way? [Other team talks smack] Oh, why do they ALWAYS choose the hard way?
Mad Ants (A salute to General “Mad” Anthony Wayne!)
OK, I see where they're coming from now...Would be unique, and isn't minor league sports supposed to be unique?

#1 T-Birds Fan
05-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Mad ants? I would be enbarassed to play for them...

lightning fan
06-11-2007, 02:10 AM
Why not "GENERALS"?? General Mad Anthony Wayne's fort, named for him, gave "Fort Wayne" its name.

Too simple? Too blah? Not used in major league sports since New Jersey of USFL fame folded with USFL.

Or, the "Summits". Fort Wayne is nicknamed the "Summit City".

#1 T-Birds Fan
06-11-2007, 07:09 PM
I guess I would go with Lightning

Douglas
06-13-2007, 01:27 PM
How about the "Fire Ants"? The motto could be, "We swarm the opposition and take them down". Or maybe the team name could by the "Flingers", especially if they have a bunch of long-range sharp-shooters. Or the "Generals". Or the "Forts". Or the "Sentinels" (named for the Ft. Wayne paper, I think?). Or the "Boom Babies" (an homage to Reggie Miller, who really has no connection to Ft. Wayne). Or "World" (an homage to "Wayne's World"). Or the "Stallions". Or the "Mustangs". Or the "Claims Adjustors", or maybe "Actuaries" (references to the city's primary "industry", not unlike the earlier "Ft. Wayne Pistons"). Or the "Orcas". How about "Carpenters" (I'm sure Ft. Wayne has plenty of them, and I imagine the original fort was made of wood, and constructed by carpenters)? Am I on a roll, or what?

Minor League Man
06-13-2007, 02:46 PM
You know, I actually think "Fire Ants" would be a good compromise for "Fire" and "Mad Ants" supporters.

USBasket_EricE
06-13-2007, 03:05 PM
I've gotta say that this franchise must have a really dedicated staff. I just got a call about a half-hour ago from someone associated with the team, thanking me for voting on the team name and informing me that the name and a winner will be announced tomorrow morning. I'm like a thousand miles away in Bismarck, North Dakota and he still gave me a call! That impressed me. He was also wondering why I voted for the name and I simply told him that I saw the poll and decided to vote. He said that the NBA is still counting the votes and was also wondering who I voted for, and I told him "Fire". Did anyone else get a call?

DakotaWizardsFan
06-13-2007, 03:26 PM
I've gotta say that this franchise must have a really dedicated staff. I just got a call about a half-hour ago from someone associated with the team, thanking me for voting on the team name and informing me that the name and a winner will be announced tomorrow morning. I'm like a thousand miles away in Bismarck, North Dakota and he still gave me a call! That impressed me. He was also wondering why I voted for the name and I simply told him that I saw the poll and decided to vote. He said that the NBA is still counting the votes and was also wondering who I voted for, and I told him "Fire". Did anyone else get a call?

I never got a call, but then again, my NBA account probably doesn't have my phone number.

lightning fan
06-15-2007, 01:55 AM

Well here we are....6-14 and I can't find any announcement of team name. Any one know what it is?

Minor League Man
06-15-2007, 02:46 AM
Well here we are....6-14 and I can't find any announcement of team name. Any one know what it is?
Not coming 'till next week:

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/Sports/Default.aspx?type=sn&NStoryID=6341

D-League Team Name Released Delayed
Jun 13, 2007 - (Fort Wayne) - The contest to name Fort Wayne's new NBA Developement League team, but the team is not saying what that name is. Officials tell Indiana's NewsCenter both the new name and the artwork with the new team logo still must pass muster with the NBA. It's now expected the name will be known, at last, next week. (Written by Dean Pantazi)

lightning fan
06-16-2007, 01:06 AM
OK the Fort Wayne team made the promised announcement about the nickname.

They announced they will announce the nickname on August 18 2007 at 5pm on Newscenter 21.

Wow, I am glad they got that promised announcement out of the way so we can prepare ourselves for the next planned announcement or the next announcement of a planned announcement.

Abbott and Costello are you listening?

sportsguy12
06-18-2007, 05:00 PM
OK the Fort Wayne team made the promised announcement about the nickname.

They announced they will announce the nickname on August 18 2007 at 5pm on Newscenter 21.

Wow, I am glad they got that promised announcement out of the way so we can prepare ourselves for the next planned announcement or the next announcement of a planned announcement.

Abbott and Costello are you listening?

It's June 18.

lightning fan
06-20-2007, 01:03 AM
Thank you for giving correct date.

The d league Fort Wayne site did say August 18 was the date. They now removed that from the news archive.

So? What do you guys think of Mad Ants? Pretty unique.

Colors listed on website state the colors are burgundy, crimson, and gold.
I don't see burgundy anywhere in the logo. Does anyone else?

I guess it is a very very dark burgundy. I see black or dark navy outlines, that must be it.