PDA

View Full Version : PBL Update

bdaly
05-08-2007, 08:52 AM
Interesting news from today's Bob Matthews column:

The Premier Basketball League had an operations presentation meeting in Chicago Friday.

The Rochester RazorSharks were among the nine prospective teams in the room, with three other teams on the phone via conference call. The PBL has commitments from seven teams to play in the 2007-08 season, with five or six others pursuing spots. The PBL has turned down 15 other teams due to insufficient financing. Former NBA star Rick Barry was at the meeting as a consultant. The PBL will play from early January 2008 through mid-April 2008, with the playoffs ending in early May. There could be crossover games with another minor league and they'd count in the standings.

http://www.rochesterdandc.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070508/SPORTS0101/705080341/1007/SPORTS

The league they'd crossover with seems fairly obvious (CBA), but time will tell.

logoguru
05-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Merger at some point if it is the CBA?
________
Live sex (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

OneBetter
05-08-2007, 01:45 PM
I could see that happening two-three years down the road if the PBL is successful.

psbf
05-08-2007, 01:58 PM
is the CBA, I think it would be wise to hold off with the merger for a while, since the CBA is heading for just their second season of rebuilding and the PBL is just starting. I would like to see the Xplosion play more teams, it could make for added interest in this area. But the leagues need time to establish themselves first. It sounds to me like the league owners are trying to move fast, if the rumors are true. The problem is, official news is released too slow, I think.

bdaly
05-08-2007, 02:17 PM
You can't jump the gun on releasing official news. It's better to wait and get it right. It does bring forward the obvious questions of why don't they just merge? The current version of the CBA has significant influence from those who bolted from the ABA, and the PBL won't be that much different. Both leagues have (or will likely have) travel challenges. But, this move--even if they remain separate--should solve the travel challenge. With around 20 teams, travel can be minimized.

With the early January through mid April schedule planned, that will more or less parallel the CBA schedule. I would be surprised if the CBA doesn't push the schedule back to January given the complete lack of success they had at the gates in December. So it seems pretty clear that they are the other league. It's good to see that both leagues are talking.

psbf
05-08-2007, 02:25 PM
the idea of a schedule waiting to January to start. I would rather it start in mid November, as it is rumored the CBA will start this season. It felt like an eternity when we began in December last season. If that's what merging or playing together means, that's the only downfall as far as I'm concerned.

SignGuyDino
05-08-2007, 06:29 PM
If it's season one, whatever, but season two and beyond it really should start in October and end in early March to give players at least the illusion they could be called up to a NBA team for a playoff run.

I still want to know what the "new rules" and "new game" refers to because a lot of think they were just blowing smoke.

Also, as a side note, I think Rick Barry was going to be on espnnews today but I think it was to discuss the NBA playoffs only. Didn't get a chance to watch.

As to a "merger" to the CBA, how? The merger would leave the league named "CBA." It would be nothing more than the CBA just getting more teams.

Paul S
05-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Maybe this PBL is Joes' latest scam.

Ya, tell the teams in your own league that have paid you 10k that you are gonna start a new and better league than the piece of ____ league they are currently in. Then sign them up to a new league with an expansion fee of 150k. Suddenly merge the league into the CBA where the expansion fee is 50K and you pocket the extra 100K.

Actually its probably too clever for Joe to run. He's more a used car kinda guy than a bait and switch.

psbf
05-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Wilmington has officially announced their joining the PBL, so they join Rochester and Maryland.

Fells
05-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Wilmington has officially announced their joining the PBL, so they join Rochester and Maryland.

And possibly another couple of more as well. I am working on it right now.

tbayz1
05-09-2007, 02:33 PM
cool keep us updated, we cant always depend on a1 to come on here, good work Fells, and nice job at the Mod. position so far, at least we stay on topic now!!

Silverbacks & PBL.......?

SignGuyDino
05-10-2007, 05:15 AM
New article, still awaiting the "new rules"

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20070510-120700-1684r.htm

Strong Island Sound
05-21-2007, 02:32 AM
Interesting news from today's Bob Matthews column:

The Premier Basketball League had an operations presentation meeting in Chicago Friday.

The Rochester RazorSharks were among the nine prospective teams in the room, with three other teams on the phone via conference call. The PBL has commitments from seven teams to play in the 2007-08 season, with five or six others pursuing spots. The PBL has turned down 15 other teams due to insufficient financing. Former NBA star Rick Barry was at the meeting as a consultant. The PBL will play from early January 2008 through mid-April 2008, with the playoffs ending in early May. There could be crossover games with another minor league and they'd count in the standings.

http://www.rochesterdandc.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070508/SPORTS0101/705080341/1007/SPORTS

The league they'd crossover with seems fairly obvious (CBA), but time will tell.
Cross-over games between two different minor leagues is a very smart idea. Not only does it garner a little buzz that is different from the norm (a la interleague play in baseball), but it shows a trust and good business plan. Minor leagues, especially in basketball, can use all the help they can get to improve attendance. By having a PBL team play a CBA club, it would begin to bridge the gap. It's hard enough to float a team and/or league alone. Joining together in some capacity is a good way to try to help one another. If the PBL can begin relationships such as this, then all the leagues should follow suit.

Minor League Man
05-21-2007, 08:02 AM
So you admit the PBL is doing something cool...

Kinda makes you wanna join, doesn't it?

panchess
05-21-2007, 08:53 AM
..like it or not, the CBA is still the leading "brand name" in minor league basketball. Ask most people on the street that follow basketball, and they likely have heard of the CBA. Even the D-League probably isn't as well known.

The ABA only has resonice because of the days of Dr. J. It was a smart buy by Joe Newman to license the name of the league for a minor league. The ABA's first season was more or less legit, but it has devolved into fiasco since.

The other leagues come and go, only distinguishable by the hard-core fan.

Strong Island Sound
05-23-2007, 05:30 PM
So you admit the PBL is doing something cool...

Kinda makes you wanna join, doesn't it?

I absolutely think that they are doing something cool by approaching this. If leagues are playing against each other, it can only help the product of minor league basketball as a whole.

one way
05-23-2007, 05:40 PM
I do not see what the benefits of having the CBA play the PBL and vice versa. Why does the CBA have to play anyone but there own teams? What are the benefits?

Minor League Man
05-23-2007, 07:22 PM
I absolutely think that they are doing something cool by approaching this. If leagues are playing against each other, it can only help the product of minor league basketball as a whole.
I said, kinda makes you (Strong Island Sound) wanna join, doesn't it?

TopSpin
05-27-2007, 12:32 PM
I do not see what the benefits of having the CBA play the PBL and vice versa. Why does the CBA have to play anyone but there own teams? What are the benefits?The benfits are quite obvious if you ask me but I just don't see it happening because of league policy's / liability issues, etc. I do believe that in some leagues, that would be grounds for immediate termination. That's right, franchise fees, money gone and you're out the league. However, teams need to generate revenue and the best way to do that is to host games. The more games, the more revenue. Since the CBA and the NDBL have teams that are so far apart, it's a big travel expense to play one game, plus playing the same teams over and over gets boring for the fans. If there's an ABA team that's close by, why not play each other to simply generate revenue and build fan base, while at the same time reducing travel costs.

If the PBL allowed that and included it in there code right off the bat. That's ground breaking stuff there, a great idea. The only problem would be getting another league team to play you. I don't think the other leagus allow it.

aba_insider
05-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Why wouldn't an 8-9 team league like the CBA, with every team losing money on travel, emerging from bankruptcy, want to play a league who has never played a game, and whose only teams left another league. makes sense to me.

bdaly
05-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Crossover games make complete sense. Travel is a huge issue in the CBA, and it looks like it'll be an issue in the PBL to some degree. With crossover games, the leagues can keep their schedules primarily regional, and that suddenly makes both leagues much more viable. Of course, one might ask why don't they just merge? I'd guess they're going to feel each other out (stability and quality of play) and make a decision after this upcoming season. Who knows, maybe they'll remain separate in name and it'll almost be a competition, with the PBL and CBA winners playing each other for a different championship (like the two AAA baseball leagues do).

psbf
05-28-2007, 04:30 PM
of combining the CBA and PBL. Does anyone have any proof this will happen? I'm guessing this is all rumor. Until I see something official, I'm happy with the way things are now. Keep in mind, the CBA is still rebuilding, so if there is such a movement planned, my guess would be to let both leagues strengthen first. Why would the CBA want to combine things now, when they need some time to get re-organized? The PBL has not even been established with all their teams yet and already talk of a merge?

bdaly
05-29-2007, 03:25 PM
of combining the CBA and PBL. Does anyone have any proof this will happen? I'm guessing this is all rumor. Until I see something official, I'm happy with the way things are now. Keep in mind, the CBA is still rebuilding, so if there is such a movement planned, my guess would be to let both leagues strengthen first. Why would the CBA want to combine things now, when they need some time to get re-organized? The PBL has not even been established with all their teams yet and already talk of a merge?
The CBA can't "strengthen" if its travel costs are through the roof. Albany and Pittsburgh will still suffer from very hefty travel without such an arrangement. Opponents in Rochester, Maryland, Reading, Hartford, and (potentially) Buffalo solve that issue. That's why it's a concept that will help them achieve the goal that you speak of.

As far as proof goes, it was printed in Rochester's newspaper that somebody is discussing crossover games with the PBL. It's pretty safe to say it's not the ABA, and the CBA and PBL seasons will almost run in perfect parallel. So it seems pretty obvious that if it happens, it'll be with the CBA. The CBA needs the PBL's easten teams, and it looks like the PBL needs the CBA's western teams. Put it all together, and travel costs will be modest, and it'll make these two leagues very viable.

psbf
05-29-2007, 05:40 PM
I'll wait until it becomes official. I admit that it makes sense, but I'm still unsure of how I feel about the idea.

SignGuyDino
05-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Still awaiting what the "new rules" and the "new game" "we've never seen before" is.

If it's FIBA rules, that's deceptive advertising. There I said it.

And why should the CBA merge with a league that hasn't played a game? They'd be better off just expanding.

psbf
05-29-2007, 09:41 PM
what I've been wondering

bomp
05-30-2007, 12:30 AM
The reason a merger may happen is because the CBA is hanging by a thread. No, I can't disclose my source but something has to happen to move minor league ball ahead out of this money pit is in.

No, I'm not saying that the PBL is the savior. They are just a player. But something has to happen. The attendance is just awful and the losses just keep mounting. Some has to give, my friends.

one way
05-30-2007, 10:51 AM
If they are hanging by a thread- then can you explain the expansion??

psbf
05-30-2007, 11:06 AM
I think the CBA is better off than some give the league credit for. Although only Yakama and Albany have great turnouts, others are improving, including the Xplosion. The fact that the league will be expanding is proof. The league was hanging by a thread this past season, but things are getting better.

OneBetter
05-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Besides Oklahoma City, are there any other expansion teams beginning play next season? Will Vancouver play this next year?