PDA

View Full Version : Minor-League Basketball in the Southeast

odulumni99
05-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Can anyone tell me why minor-league basketball has faltered in the southeast?

It is like this, the D-League began the 2001-2002 with eight franchises in the southeastern United States. Now it is six years later, and there is only one reminaning, which is in Little Rock, AR. And now it is planning to either fold or move its team to LaCrosse, WI. It seems like for future expansion of the NBA-DL and the CBA, the two "most popular" minor-league basketball organizations, many of the cities in the southeast are going to be left behind because of the ensuing fear of failure caused by: Roanoke; Fayetteville; Asheville; Columbus, GA; Greenville, SC; Huntsville, Fort Myers, Mobile and now, Little Rock. The south has had it chance and now its a failure where college basketball is now king in hotbeds such as Raleigh-Durham, Winston-Salem, NC; Gainesville, FL; Lexington, KY and Knoxville, TN. Forget non B-Ball hotbeds in the southeast, like Norfolk; Richmond; Jacksonville, FL; Birmingham; Nashville; Jackson, MS and Shreveport, LA, thanks to David Stern's plundered experiment, those large cities will not be able to prove their ability to potentially support an NBA team, in case one plans to move or so.

It seems like to me basketball (NBA especially), is losing support in the southeast. The Hornets, Hawks, Heat, Magic and Grizzlies either got kicked out of the first round of the playoffs, or is headed to the lottery. Nevertheless, the Florida Gators still prevail as the top college basketball school in the nation with back-2-back victories. It seems like to me, when it comes to indoor minor league sports in the southeast, hockey will always be the preferred choice- as it was proven this year in Fort Myers; Charlotte; Gwinnett County, GA; Shreveport; Columbia, SC and Norfolk. I wonder why, do you think it has alot to do with race? And that paying spectators would prefer to see black folks playing in the NBA rather than minor league (especially in a town that lacks an NBA presence)? It is a shocking presentation, and I thought basketball will always be basketball no matter if was minor, major, amateur or college. How naive of me to picture it that way!!!!!!!

USBasket_EricE
05-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Is the Florida Flame team coming back?

DakotaWizardsFan
05-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Is the Florida Flame team coming back?

I've seen that they are probably going to somewhere, but I'm not sure where that was.

By the way, I like your avatar Eric. Very true.

USBasket_EricE
05-07-2007, 10:08 PM
I'm keeping it going all summer!

DakotaWizardsFan
05-07-2007, 10:13 PM
I've got to keep Darius as my avatar for a bit and then switch to my all-time favorite player. Speaking of that, happy birthday Renaldo!!! :)

USBasket_EricE
05-07-2007, 10:17 PM
Sounds good.

I'd like to see a team from Florida back in the D-League. One team from every major state would be great. They've already got Texas and California. They should put one up in Maine too, just to spread the league out more. Could be interesting how the league looks in a few years.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Sounds good.

I'd like to see a team from Florida back in the D-League. One team from every major state would be great. They've already got Texas and California. They should put one up in Maine too, just to spread the league out more. Could be interesting how the league looks in a few years.

I'd like to see the league spread out a little more, but the problem is if Maine had a team, there would have to be a few more teams in the Northeast.

I don't think the league should expand to one team for every NBA team. That's just too many. But then again, it's a developmental league. As a Wizards fan, I don't want that many teams, but that's just my opinion. I suppose since the league is about developing players, it should eventually hit 30 teams.

sportsguy12
05-08-2007, 11:08 AM
I'd like to see the league spread out a little more, but the problem is if Maine had a team, there would have to be a few more teams in the Northeast.

I don't think the league should expand to one team for every NBA team. That's just too many. But then again, it's a developmental league. As a Wizards fan, I don't want that many teams, but that's just my opinion. I suppose since the league is about developing players, it should eventually hit 30 teams.

then it wouldn't be a true minor league farm system. And that's what the NBA wants. Maine isn't big enough to have a D-League team. I grew up there and it would be great if both Portland, Maine and Manchester, NH would both get teams, but it's not feasible.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-08-2007, 05:38 PM
then it wouldn't be a true minor league farm system. And that's what the NBA wants. Maine isn't big enough to have a D-League team. I grew up there and it would be great if both Portland, Maine and Manchester, NH would both get teams, but it's not feasible.

See, that's the problem. The NBA wants that, but as a fan, I don't really want that. I know that they need 30 teams for what they want.

odulumni99
05-22-2007, 08:10 PM
What about a Southeast Division in the D-League consisting of larger cities?:

Norfolk
Richmond
Gwinnett (Atlanta)
Birmingham
Nashville
Jacksonville
Tampa