PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Dakota Wizards Roster

DakotaWizardsFan
05-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Okay, all of you Wizards fans, I'm trying to put together an all-time Wizards roster and I need a lot of help. USBasket_EricE already did the rosters from 2001-2002 to 2006-2007, but I need 1995-1996 to 2000-2001. I've gotten some information on the earlier seasons, but I hardly have any. And even though I became a fan in 2000-2001 when we won the IBA championship, I have forgotten many of the players on that team. And there's some players that I think were on that team, but I'm not sure so I'm not adding them to my information.

So this is what I need:
1. Head coaches and assistant coaches for each season
2. Players who were on the regular season roster from 1995-1996 to 2000-2001 (whether they played or not)
3. Corrections and/or additions to the 2001-2002 to 2006-2007 rosters
4. Corrections to the rosters from 1995-1996 to 2000-2001 seasons

DakotaWizardsFan
05-05-2007, 06:12 PM
1995-1996 (Dick Maurer)
Sean Brusek
Danin Bryant
Igor Budimski
Ken Conley
Nate Driggers
Rusty Gillette
Alan Hampton
Mark Harris
Mac Irvin
Andy Kilbride
Marc Mitchell
Mike Moore
Mike Morris
Davebe Piccoli
Kirk Ranta
Mike Richmond
Rob Robbins
Dave Vik

1996-1997 (Jay Garmatz)
Chris Allen
Kevin Beard
Robert Bennett
Mike Hidden
Rick Hughes
Mike Jones
Joe McLean
Willie Murdaugh
Paul O'Liney
Ivan Patterson
Peter Patton
Todd Sigel
Shawn Simpson
Curt Smith

1997-1998 (Jay Garmatz, Dave Joerger)
Chad Allen
Shawn Bankhead
Kevin Beard
Robert Bennett
Jermaine Harden
Mike Jones
Kimani Jones-Young
Jeremy Luther
Jason Maile
Willie Murdaugh
Scott Schoen
Todd Sigel
Orlando Smart

1998-1999 (Steve Tucker, Dave Joerger, Demond Stone)
Shawn Bankhead
Kevin Beard
Rod Blakney
Andre Bovain
Marc Carter
Malik Dixon
Mark Donnelly
David Everette
Tim Gibbs
Larry Gilbert
Ghandi Jordan
Charles Lott
Russell McCutcheon
Keith Richard
Deron Rutledge
Alika Smith
Demond Stone?
Johnny Tyson
Rogers Washington
Damon Williams

1999-2000 (Duane Ticknor, Dave Joerger)
Kevin Beard
Malik Dixon
Demarkus Doss
Brian Green
Dionte Harvey
Alvin Jefferson
Rob Johnson
Aaron Owens
Antonio Reynolds-Dean
Kevin Rice
Rogers Washington
Horatio Webster
Corey Williams
Shannon Williams

2000-2001 (Dave Joerger, Tim Gibbs)- IBA Champions
Marquette Alexander
Darius Beard
Kevin Beard
Matt Gladieux?
Faron Hand
Donald Harrison
Dionte Harvey
Shawn Harvey
Eric Holmes
Yaseen Ismail
Michael "Mike" Johnson
Rob Mestas
Willie Murdaugh
Kevin Rice
Marvin "The Big Show" Rodgers
DeRon Rutledge
Kurt Schwamp
Gordon Scott
Mike Simon
Seth Sundberg
Justin Wismer
Derrick Worrell?

2001-2002 (Dave Joerger, Casey Owens)- CBA Champions
Shawn Daniels
Mark Davis
Khalid El-Amin
Marquise Gainous
Ed Gray
Rico Hill
Courtney James
Danny Johnson
Ken Johnson
Michael "Mike" Johnson
Andy Panko
Chris Porter
Kevin Rice
Miles Simon
Wayne Turner

2002-2003 (Dave Joerger, Casey Owens)
Kevin Beard
Cory Bradford
Keith Carter
Shawn Daniels
Malik Dixon
Derek Grimm
Courtney James
John Linehan
Curtis McCants
Oliver "Big O" Miller
Andy Panko
Chris Porter
Kevin Rice
Miles Simon
Carlos Strong
John Thomas
Victor Thomas
Rashad Tucker
Sonny Watson

2003-2004 (Dave Joerger, Casey Owens)- CBA Champions
Ashraf Amaya
Rodney Buford
Maurice "Moe" Carter
Kaniel Dickens
Muntrelle Dobbins
Ben Ebong
Eddie Gill
Junior Harrington
Nolan Johnson
Jonathan Jones
Lari Ketner (never played a game, injured)
Mike King
Tim Kisner
Billy Keys
Sean Lampley
John Linehan
Oliver "Big O" Miller
Dennis Mims
Willie Murdaugh
Dean Oliver
Chris Porter
Chad "Big Red" Prewitt
Melvin Sanders
Michael "Animal" Smith
Ray Weathers

2004-2005 (Casey Owens, Brian Walsh, Jason Hamm)
Maurice "Mo" Baker
Jeff Brandt
Shawn Daniels
Derrick Davis
Jeff Graves
Chris Herren
Billy Keys
Sean Lampley
Bobby Lazor
Oliver "Big O" Miller
Bryant Notree
Patrick "Pat" Okafor
Chris Porter
Chad "Big Red" Prewitt
Larry Reid
Alex Sanders
Melvin Sanders
Dickey Simpkins
Billy Thomas
Wayne Turner

2005-2006 (Dave Bliss, Bryant Notree, Rob Spon)
Chris Alexander
Maurice "Mo" Baker
Terry Black
Damion Dantzler
Devonne Giles
Geoff Husted
Anthony Jackson
Rashi Johnson
James Maye
Jeremee McGuire
Alfred Neale
Rashad Phillips
Kasib Powell
Lee Scruggs (supposedly signed, but never played)
Quintarus "Scooter" Sherrill
Patrick "Pat" Simpson
Billy Thomas
Matt Vaughn
Rocky Walls
Damond Williams
James "Mookie" Wright

2006-2007 (Dave Joerger, Kevin Rice)- D-League Champions
Martynas Andriuskevicius
Brandon Armstrong
Maurice "Mo" Baker
Jerome Beasley
Rod Benson
Leonardo "Morro" Di Pacce Dos Santos
Tremaine Fowlkes
Quemont Greer
Geoff Husted
Dontell Jefferson
Kevin Lyde
Renaldo Major
James Maye
Chris McCray
Alfred Neale
Jameel Pugh
Darius Rice
Curtis Stinson
Awvee Storey
Corey Williams
Justin Williams

2007-2008 (Duane Ticknor, Dean Martin)
Blake Ahearn
Rod Benson
Dontell Jefferson
Perrin Johnson
Carlos Powell
Kibwe Trim
David Palmer
Maurice “Mo” Baker
Wil Frisby
Kevin Lyde
Tony Gipson

DakotaWiz
05-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Just looking at it quickly, I know that you forgot Tremaine Fowlkes and Curtis Stinson for this years roster, and Dick Mau(r?)er was our first head coach, followed by Jay Garmatz.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Just looking at it quickly, I know that you forgot Tremaine Fowlkes and Curtis Stinson for this years roster, and Dick Mau(r?)er was our first head coach, followed by Jay Garmatz.

Thanks. Curtis was actually there, but Tremaine wasn't. Eric messed up. But that's perfectly okay because without him, I'd have not even close to this amount of information.

USBasket_EricE
05-05-2007, 09:12 PM
How did I forget a player from THIS year! I guess I was going through the jersey numbers in my head and I somehow skipped over Tremaine's #24. That's probably because Jameel Pugh wore the same number earlier in the season and I didn't think any number was worn by two different people. Oh well!

I think Chris Andersen, the "Birdman", played for the Wizards at some point in their IBA days. He also played for the FM Beez. If anyone remembers, he's the one that was banned by the NBA for two years for drug use. I don't know which season he would have played for the Wizards though. Otherwise, I don't know of anyone else, since I became a fan in 2001-2002.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-05-2007, 09:29 PM
How did I forget a player from THIS year! I guess I was going through the jersey numbers in my head and I somehow skipped over Tremaine's #24. That's probably because Jameel Pugh wore the same number earlier in the season and I didn't think any number was worn by two different people. Oh well!

I think Chris Andersen, the "Birdman", played for the Wizards at some point in their IBA days. He also played for the FM Beez. If anyone remembers, he's the one that was banned by the NBA for two years for drug use. I don't know which season he would have played for the Wizards though. Otherwise, I don't know of anyone else, since I became a fan in 2001-2002.

I could see how you could make a mistake that way. That's how I usually come up with all of the players. On my statistics, I have all of this season and last season's players so I wouldn't have done it that way for these two seasons.

I think he did too. I'm almost sure I heard that once. I know he at least played on a team in one of our leagues, whether it was the Wizards or someone else. I'm sure DakotaWiz and DWizards can help.

DakotaWiz
05-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Chris Andersen only played for the Beez. Also, one guy to add to the '97 roster is Jason Maile. I can't think of anyone else right now, but I'll let you know as I think of people.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Chris Andersen only played for the Beez. Also, some guys to add to the '97 roster are Jason Maile and Robert Bennett. I can't think of anyone else right now, but I'll let you know as I think of people.

Wrong again Eric. Oh well, I thought he might've played for the Wizards also.

And thanks again, I'll add those. Is '97 1996-1997 or 1997-1998?

USBasket_EricE
05-05-2007, 10:00 PM
With some research through USBASKET and the publishing system, I came up with some more players. The players with an asterisk (*) next to their names are ones that I'm not sure if they played on the team during the regular season.

1996-1997
*Mike Hidden
*Mike Moore
*Paul O'Liney
*Ivan Patterson
*Chris Allen

1997-1998
Jermaine Harden
Kimani Jones-Young ("Bo Jones")
Orlando Smart

1998-1999
*Andre Bovain
David Everette
*Charles Lott
*Keith Richard
Alika Smith

1999-2000
*Orion Thompson

2000-2001
*Matt Gladieux
Dionte Harvey (not the same as Shawn Harvey)
Eric Holmes
Yaseen Ismail
Kurt Schwamp
Mike Simon (not the same as Miles Simon)
Seth Sundberg

I should also note, and I know you would know this Bri, that Jeff Graves only played during the play-offs in 2004-2005. I think the Wizards were short a player so they signed him.

USBasket_EricE
05-05-2007, 10:07 PM
I confirmed that Jason Maile did play during 1997-1998 and Chris Andersen only played during the pre-season in 2000-2001. He was waived and then went over to the Beez, played 7 games, and was waived.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-05-2007, 10:22 PM
I confirmed that Jason Maile did play during 1997-1998 and Chris Andersen only played during the pre-season in 2000-2001. He was waived and then went over to the Beez, played 7 games, and was waived.

Then, we were correct, well partly.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-05-2007, 10:25 PM
With some research through USBASKET and the publishing system, I came up with some more players. The players with an asterisk (*) next to their names are ones that I'm not sure if they played on the team during the regular season.

1996-1997
*Mike Hidden
*Mike Moore
*Paul O'Liney
*Ivan Patterson
*Chris Allen

1997-1998
Jermaine Harden
Kimani Jones-Young ("Bo Jones")
Orlando Smart

1998-1999
*Andre Bovain
David Everette
*Charles Lott
*Keith Richard
Alika Smith

1999-2000
*Orion Thompson

2000-2001
*Matt Gladieux
Dionte Harvey (not the same as Shawn Harvey)
Eric Holmes
Yaseen Ismail
Kurt Schwamp
Mike Simon (not the same as Miles Simon)
Seth Sundberg

I should also note, and I know you would know this Bri, that Jeff Graves only played during the play-offs in 2004-2005. I think the Wizards were short a player so they signed him.

Thank you so much! I'll add every name and hopefully the longer-term fans can confirm those names.

Well, I think play-offs should count also. So if someone finds play-off players, I'll take those also. As long as a player played in a game that actually counted as something, then they should be on the list.

USBasket_EricE
05-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Yeah, as long as they were playing for something. I think it's pretty rare that a player plays during the play-offs and not the regular season, so I doubt there are any others, but who knows.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Yeah, as long as they were playing for something. I think it's pretty rare that a player plays during the play-offs and not the regular season, so I doubt there are any others, but who knows.

I can't think of any more and I doubt there are any. The D-League would not have allowed that. Think Amir Johnson. Ha, that was so unfair, but hey, it's the rules.

USBasket_EricE
05-05-2007, 11:23 PM
I've got more!!!!

1996-1997
Joe McLean
Rich Hughes
Curt Smith

I got these from the "Playback: 10 years ago" articles from the Bismarck Tribune that I clipped during this past season.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-05-2007, 11:25 PM
I've got more!!!!

1996-1997
Joe McLean
Rich Hughes
Curt Smith

I got these from the "Playback: 10 years ago" articles from the Bismarck Tribune that I clipped during this past season.

Wow, thank you again! This is easier than I thought it would be, but harder than it should be.

I'll continue my search tomorrow. Now I'm off to watch the Eastern Division Championship and when I finish that, the D-League Championship.

USBasket_EricE
05-05-2007, 11:31 PM
Two more...

1995-1996
Mac Irwin
Tony Freeman

Now I don't know if these are pre-season players or regular season players. The Playback article only said that the Wizards signed them, but didn't say if they actually played.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-06-2007, 12:10 AM
Two more...

1995-1996
Mac Irwin
Tony Freeman

Now I don't know if these are pre-season players or regular season players. The Playback article only said that the Wizards signed them, but didn't say if they actually played.

Thank you. I'll add them anyway.

Back to the game. I'll never finish tonight. I'm in the 2nd quarter.

USBasket_EricE
05-06-2007, 11:37 AM
2000-2001
Faron Hand
Justin Wismer
Donald Harrison

Got this by changing the dates in the URL on this site (change the 01 to 02, 02 to 03, etc):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/transactions/2000/11/01/index.html

Other players that I saw were Marquette Alexander and Derrick Worrell. USBASKET said that they were waived before the season started but the transactions never said that they were waived.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-06-2007, 02:08 PM
2000-2001
Faron Hand
Justin Wismer
Donald Harrison

Got this by changing the dates in the URL on this site (change the 01 to 02, 02 to 03, etc):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/transactions/2000/11/01/index.html

Other players that I saw were Marquette Alexander and Derrick Worrell. USBASKET said that they were waived before the season started but the transactions never said that they were waived.

Thanks.

I'll have to try that also. Unless you went through every date and I'm sure you haven't because that probably takes a while. Well, I guess we don't really need the last few seasons though.

I recognize Marquette Alexander. I've got a Wizards roster from 2000-2001, but I looked last night and I couldn't find it. I think I'm going to look again right now.

USBasket_EricE
05-06-2007, 09:03 PM
USBASKET said that Marquette Alexander was signed and waived in Oct. 2000. Somehow I think that is incorrect, if he's in your roster.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-06-2007, 09:08 PM
USBASKET said that Marquette Alexander was signed and waived in Oct. 2000. Somehow I think that is incorrect, if he's in your roster.

Well, I was unable to find my roster or any other information so who knows? I think he played, but I really have no clue. I don't remember him at all, just the name.

DakotaWiz
05-06-2007, 09:39 PM
I do remember Marquette Alexander. I remembered the name, but didn't remember much about his career. That's because it was short when he was with us. I don't remember what year it happened, but I do remember him punching/slapping a fan and getting suspended. Possibly in 2000-2001?

DakotaWiz
05-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Alright, I found a site with some old information... I'll put up what I find...

1997-1998
Mike Jones
James Harden
Kimani Jones-Young
Robert Bennett
Orlando Smart?
Todd Sigel
Jeremy Luther
Scott Schoen
G Jason Maile
Jermaine Harden 6-8 230 Jackson State (Not Sure if same as James)
Kevin Beard
Willie Murdaugh
Shawn Bankhead
Robert Bennett

1998-1999
Johnny Tyson
Russell McCutcheon? - Released December 2nd
Malik Dixon
Joezen Darby? - Released November 27th
Keith Richard? - Released December 2nd
Nathan Smith? - Released November 20th
Earl Tyson? - Released November 20th
Andre Bolton? -Released November 20th
Alika Smith - Released January 22nd, 1999
Shawn Bankhead
Andre Bovain
Rogers Washington
Damon Williams - Released December 2nd
B.J. Williams? - Released November 27th
Charles Lott
Rod Blakney
Kevin Beard
DeRon Rutledge
Marc Carter
Demond Stone?
Mid-Season Signees
Tim Gibbs
Larry Gilbert?
Mark Donnelly?
David Everette?

http://www.proexposure.com/transarchive.cfm
http://robots.cnnsi.com/stats/1998/stats.dakratio.html
The question marks I put by guys I didn't remember, which leads me to assume that everyone released November 27th or before didn't make the regular season roster.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Alright, I found a site with some old information... I'll put up what I find...

1997-1998
Mike Jones
James Harden
Kimani Jones-Young
Robert Bennett
Orlando Smart?
Todd Sigel
Jeremy Luther
Scott Schoen
G Jason Maile
Jermaine Harden 6-8 230 Jackson State (Not Sure if same as James)
Kevin Beard
Willie Murdaugh
Shawn Bankhead
Robert Bennett

1998-1999
Johnny Tyson
Russell McCutcheon? - Released December 2nd
Malik Dixon
Joezen Darby? - Released November 27th
Keith Richard? - Released December 2nd
Nathan Smith? - Released November 20th
Earl Tyson? - Released November 20th
Andre Bolton? -Released November 20th
Alika Smith - Released January 22nd, 1999
Shawn Bankhead
Andre Bovain
Rogers Washington
Damon Williams - Released December 2nd
B.J. Williams? - Released November 27th
Charles Lott
Rod Blakney
Kevin Beard
DeRon Rutledge
Marc Carter
Demond Stone?
Mid-Season Signees
Tim Gibbs
Larry Gilbert?
Mark Donnelly?
David Everette?

http://www.proexposure.com/transarchive.cfm
http://robots.cnnsi.com/stats/1998/stats.dakratio.html
The question marks I put by guys I didn't remember, which leads me to assume that everyone released November 27th or before didn't make the regular season roster.

Thank you.

I've decided to add the question mark players to the roster. The players that are for sure and bolded and the players that we are not sure about are not bolded and have a question mark behind them.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-07-2007, 05:29 PM
We've got most of the years close to complete except for 1995-1996 & 1996-1997. If I find some time tonight, I'll try to find some players.

DWizards
05-07-2007, 08:35 PM
I do remember Marquette Alexander. I remembered the name, but didn't remember much about his career. That's because it was short when he was with us. I don't remember what year it happened, but I do remember him punching/slapping a fan and getting suspended. Possibly in 2000-2001?

Marquette Alexander played in the 2000-2001 season before being suspended for the rest of the season for slapping a fan in Billings. All I remember was that he was a pretty fat and kind of short (maybe 6-8 or so) for a center. I think he played college ball at Hawaii.

USBasket_EricE
05-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Hopefully all of our questions about the teams from each season will be answered soon. I just e-mailed Lou Babiarz at the Bismarck Tribune to see if he can help us out. By reading his columns and stories, I'd say he has a great mind for the Wizards. I also asked if the Tribune had a file containing the names of every player. I'll post the list here if he responds. He's helped me out in the past when I needed information about some article dates for my senior term paper, so I'd say our chances are good.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Hopefully all of our questions about the teams from each season will be answered soon. I just e-mailed Lou Babiarz at the Bismarck Tribune to see if he can help us out. By reading his columns and stories, I'd say he has a great mind for the Wizards. I also asked if the Tribune had a file containing the names of every player. I'll post the list here if he responds. He's helped me out in the past when I needed information about some article dates for my senior term paper, so I'd say our chances are good.

Great idea! I'm sure Lou can help. I absolutely love some of the articles he's written about the Wizards and he certainly seems to know a lot.

Why do you come up with all of the great ideas?

DakotaWizardsFan
05-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Marquette Alexander played in the 2000-2001 season before being suspended for the rest of the season for slapping a fan in Billings. All I remember was that he was a pretty fat and kind of short (maybe 6-8 or so) for a center. I think he played college ball at Hawaii.

He's 6-9 according to USBasket.

USBasket_EricE
05-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Why do you come up with all of the great ideas?

LOL! It just struck me today. I like his articles too. There was a full page of Wizards info in the sports section on the day of the championship game. And the huge article on Joerger was great also.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-07-2007, 10:16 PM
I love the paper the day of our first game. It's fun to read the player profiles to know a little bit about each player before the game. And it's good to read the other team's profiles so that you know who and what to watch for.

The bad thing is there won't be another Wizards article until either Joerger gets an NBA offer (if that would happen and of course, it should; but will it?) or when the schedule is released probably.

USBasket_EricE
05-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Well, haven't heard anything yet, but I'll keep waiting!

DakotaWizardsFan
05-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Well, haven't heard anything yet, but I'll keep waiting!

*starts humming Jeopardy song*

USBasket_EricE
05-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Great news! Lou just sent me a good chunk of the early rosters:

1995-96
Head coach: Dick Maurer
Assistant: None?
Brusek, Sean
Bryant, Danin
Budimski, Igor
Conley, Ken
Driggers, Nate
Gillette, Rusty
Hampton, Alan
Harris, Mark
Irvin, Mac
Kilbride, Andy
Mitchell, Marc
Moore, Mike
Morris, Mike
Piccoli, Davebe
Ranta, Kirk
Richmond, Mike
Robbins, Rob
Vik, Dave

1996-97
Head coach: Jay Garmatz
Assistant: None?
Allen, Chris
Beard, Kevin
Bennett, Robert
Hidden, Mike
Hughes, Rick
Jones, Mike
McLean, Joe
Murdaugh, Willie
O'Liney, Paul
Patterson, Ivan
Patton, Peter
Sigel, Todd
Simpson, Shawn
Smith, Curt

1997-98
Head coach: Jay Garmatz
Assistant coach: Dave Joerger
Allen, Chad
Bankhead, Shawn
Beard, Kevin
Bennett, Robert
Harden, Jermaine
Jones, Mike
Jones-Young, Kimani
Luther, Jeremy
Maile, Jason
Murdaugh, Willie
Schoen, Scott
Sigel, Todd
Smart, Orlando

1998-99
Head coach: Steve Tucker
Assistant coaches: Dave Joerger, Demond Stone
Bankhead, Shawn
Beard, Kevin
Blakney, Rod
Bovain, Andre
Carter, Marc
Dixon, Malik
Donnelly, Mark
Everette, David
Gibbs, Tim
Gilbert, Larry
Jordan, Ghandi
Lott, Charles
McCutcheon, Russell
Richard, Keith
Rutledge, Deron
Smith, Alika
Stone, Demond???
Tyson, Johnny
Washington, Rogers
Williams, Damon

1999-2000
Head coach: Duane Ticknor
Assistant coach: Dave Joerger
Beard, Kevin
Dixon, Malik
Doss, Demarkus
Green, Brian
Harvey, Dionte
Jefferson, Alvin
Johnson, Rob
Owens, Aaron
Reynolds-Dean, Antonio
Rice, Kevin
Washington, Rogers
Webster, Horatio
Williams, Corey
Williams, Shannon

He also said that he looked at this thread to see who we had listed and has a few corrections.

From 1995-1996
He said that he didn't think Tony Freeman played any regular season games, just pre-season. I'll quote his next line because I don't know how else to word it: "There's a guy we have listed several times as Davebe Piccoli and once as David Piccoli. Even though the latter sounds right, the former shows up more often."

From 1996-1997
He said that he didn't think Mike Moore played any regular season games. Moore wanted to return to the team, but was cut early in the season. Lou isn't sure if he was actually on a regular season roster, but he's pretty confident that Moore never did play. Lou also said that the player listed as "Rich Hughes" on the final stats was actually known as "Rick Hughes".

From 1997-1998
Lou said that he doesn't think that there ever was a "James Harden", but there was a "Jermaine Harden". He said that he is missing some stats from road games that season, but it is possible that there may have only been 13 players on the roster during the entire season.

From 1998-1999
I'll quote Lou's entire paragraph on this season: "On the 1998-99 roster, I'm not sure about Demond Stone. He's a former U-Mary guy who was an assistant coach on what sounds like kind of an informal basis. We have a story that mentions him being added to the roster in late Decemeber. I have the box scores from the next several games, and he didn't play, and we have no other references to him. I don't think Orlando Smart played with them in 1998-99. Joezan Darby and Earl Tyson were with them in preseason, but I have no record of them playing in the regular season. I have no record of Andre Bolton or B.J. Williams at all. My guess is they were camp guys, but it's possible they were really short-timers."

From 1999-2000
He said that Shannon Taylor and Brian Watkins were on the pre-season roster, but not the regular season. And neither Orion Thompson, Leonard
Johnson, Robert White nor Casey Frank were on the regular season roster. Lou had no record of them.

This was a big help. Looks like Lou had to do a lot of digging to find this information. I'm guessing that writing stories and columns for a newspaper almost everyday has got to be time consuming, so I'm glad he took the time to do this for us.

USBasket_EricE
05-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Add Malik Dixon to 2000-2001.

According to USBASKET: "2000-2001: In Sep.'00 signed by Limoges (FRA-ProB): Score-1(24.8), 3.6rpg, Assists-5(5.6), played also 1 game with Dakota Wizards (IBA): 4pts, 1reb, and 1 game for Conesco Seagulls Den Helder (NED): 15pts, 3reb, 4ast"

DakotaWizardsFan
05-13-2007, 07:34 PM
A big thanks to Eric for coming up with the idea of contacting Lou and also to Lou of course, for helping with this.

I've added all of the new information. I'm going to sort the other seasons alphabetically now.

USBasket_EricE
05-13-2007, 10:24 PM
This is my 200th post.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-14-2007, 04:52 PM
This is my 200th post.

Congrats!

I'm at 290 now. Just 10 to 300! Keep talking so I can reply. :infun:

DakotaWizardsFan
05-14-2007, 08:04 PM
I've got the whole list almost done. There's just three question mark players left.

What I would like now are nicknames for each player. I put down the ones I remember, but I'm sure there are more.

DakotaWiz
05-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Now that we have a complete list of every Wizard player, I decided to look into how many players that have passed through Bismarck actually played in the NBA... These are my results. All the players that are listed played in the NBA, though I might have missed players that played in the NBA.

All-Time Dakota Wizards with NBA Experience
1995-1996 (Dick Maurer)
Nate Driggers

1996-1997 (Jay Garmatz)
Rick Hughes (went on to play with Mav’s in 1999-2000)

Orlando Smart (played previously in the NBA)

None

None

2000-2001 (Dave Joerger, Tim Gibbs)
None

2001-2002 (Dave Joerger, Casey Owens)
Mark Davis – Played in NBA before
Khalid El-Amin – Played in NBA before Dakota
Ed Gray – Played in NBA before Dakota
Ken Johnson – Played in NBA after Dakota
Andy Panko – Played in NBA before Dakota
Chris Porter – Played in NBA before Dakota
Miles Simon – Played in NBA before Dakota
Wayne Turner – Played in NBA before Dakota

Derek Grimm – Played in NBA before Dakota
Oliver Miller – Called up to Minnesota (2003-2004)
Andy Panko – Played in NBA before Dakota (1 minute with Atlanta)
John Thomas – Played in NBA before and after Dakota

2003-2004 (Dave Joerger, Casey Owens)
Ashraf Amaya – Played in NBA before Dakota
Rodney Buford – Called up to Sacramento
Maurice Carter – Called up to New Orleans, LA Lakers
Kaniel Dickens – Called up to Portland
Eddie Gill – Called up to Portland
Junior Harrington – Played in NBA seasons before and after Dakota
Sean Lampley – Called up to Golden State
Oliver Miller – Called up to Minnesota
Dean Oliver – Played in NBA before Dakota
Melvin Sanders – Went on to play with San Antonio
Michael "Animal" Smith - Played in NBA before Dakota

Billy Thomas – Called up to New Jersey – January 21, 2005
Maurice Baker - Called up to Clippers – February 22, 2005
Dickey Simpkins – Played in NBA before Dakota
Wayne Turner – Played in NBA before Wizards
Sean Lampley – Called up to Golden State (2003-2004)
Chris Herren - Played in NBA before Dakota

Maurice Baker – Called up to Clippers – February 22, 2005

2006-2007 (Dave Joerger, Kevin Rice)
Awvee Storey – Played in NBA before Wizards
Renaldo Major – Called up to Golden State – January 17th, 2007
Chris McCray – Played in NBA before Wizards
Jerome Beasley – Played in NBA before Wizards
Martynas Andriuskevicius – 1st NBA Assignee – Chicago Bulls
Brandon Armstrong – Played in NBA before Wizards
Justin Williams - Called up to Sacramento – January 5th, 2007
Tremaine Fowlkes - Played in NBA before Wizards

Thanks for the updates. I knew I missed some. And just for informative purposes, Animal actually played 7 seasons in the NBA. Keep the corrections coming. I would assume that we had at least one player from 1998-2001 play in the NBA, but I couldn't find any.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-14-2007, 08:58 PM
I can go through my old rosters sometime and make sure that you have everyone who played in the NBA. (unless that's where you found some of the information)

I can't think of any more players, but there could be some.

EDIT: Add Maurice Baker to 2006-2007.

DWizards
05-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Now that we have a complete list of every Wizard player, I decided to look into how many players that have passed through Bismarck actually played in the NBA... These are my results. All the players that are listed played in the NBA, though I might have missed players that played in the NBA.

All-Time Dakota Wizards with NBA Experience
1995-1996 (Dick Maurer)
Nate Driggers

1996-1997 (Jay Garmatz)
Rick Hughes (went on to play with Mav’s in 1999-2000)

Orlando Smart (played previously in the NBA)

None

None

2000-2001 (Dave Joerger, Tim Gibbs)
None

2001-2002 (Dave Joerger, Casey Owens)
Mark Davis – Played in NBA before (if he is the one from Texas Tech)
Khalid El-Amin – Played in NBA before Dakota
Ed Gray – Played in NBA before Dakota
Ken Johnson – Played in NBA after Dakota
Andy Panko – Played in NBA before Dakota
Wayne Turner – Played in NBA before Dakota

Derek Grimm – Played in NBA before Dakota
Andy Panko – Played in NBA before Dakota (1 minute with Atlanta)
John Thomas – Played in NBA before and after Dakota

2003-2004 (Dave Joerger, Casey Owens)
Ashraf Amaya – Played in NBA before Dakota
Rodney Buford – Called up to Sacramento
Maurice Carter – Called up to New Orleans, LA Lakers
Kaniel Dickens – Called up to Portland
Eddie Gill – Called up to Portland
Junior Harrington – Played in NBA seasons before and after Dakota
Sean Lampley – Called up to Golden State
Oliver Miller – Called up to Minnesota
Dean Oliver – Played in NBA before Dakota

Maurice Baker - Called up to Clippers – February 22, 2005
Dickey Simpkins – Played in NBA before Dakota
Wayne Turner – Played in NBA before Wizards
Sean Lampley – Called up to Golden State (2003-2004)

2006-2007 (Dave Joerger, Kevin Rice)
Awvee Storey – Played in NBA before Wizards
Renaldo Major – Called up to Golden State – January 17th, 2007
Chris McCray – Played in NBA before Wizards
Jerome Beasley – Played in NBA before Wizards
Martynas Andriuskevicius – 1st NBA Assignee – Chicago Bulls
Brandon Armstrong – Played in NBA before Wizards
Justin Williams - Called up to Sacramento – January 5th, 2007
Tremaine Fowlkes - Played in NBA before Wizards

it is the same Mark Davis from Texas Tech and the TWovles

a few guys missing are:
-Michael "The Animal" Smith, I think he played at least 5 or 6 seasons w/ the Kings and Grizzlies
-Chris Herren played with Denver and Boston

DakotaWizardsFan
05-14-2007, 09:47 PM
it is the same Mark Davis from Texas Tech and the TWovles

a few guys missing are:
-Michael "The Animal" Smith, I think he played at least 5 or 6 seasons w/ the Kings and Grizzlies
-Chris Herren played with Denver and Boston

When I first saw this post I was thinking about Herren, but then I forgot to look to see if he was on there.

I haven't got time to check my rosters and I won't be able to tonight. Maybe tomorrow...

USBasket_EricE
05-14-2007, 11:17 PM
I'll help with this tomorrow too. USBASKET should have some answers.

I actually have some of Michael "Animal" Smith's NBA cards. He only played what, 2 or 3 games here? I think I remember him getting ejected once.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-15-2007, 05:11 PM
I'll help with this tomorrow too. USBASKET should have some answers.

I actually have some of Michael "Animal" Smith's NBA cards. He only played what, 2 or 3 games here? I think I remember him getting ejected once.

I hardly remember him so I'm sure he only played a couple games here. I'm not really sure how many though.

Rowdy Randy
11-23-2007, 07:40 AM
Was the final list player list ever posted... I would really like to view it sometime
Thanks in advance

DakotaWizardsFan
11-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Here's the final list:

1995-1996 (Dick Maurer)
Sean Brusek
Danin Bryant
Igor Budimski
Ken Conley
Nate Driggers
Rusty Gillette
Alan Hampton
Mark Harris
Mac Irvin
Andy Kilbride
Marc Mitchell
Mike Moore
Mike Morris
Davebe Piccoli
Kirk Ranta
Mike Richmond
Rob Robbins
Dave Vik

1996-1997 (Jay Garmatz)
Chris Allen
Kevin Beard
Robert Bennett
Mike Hidden
Rick Hughes
Mike Jones
Joe McLean
Willie Murdaugh
Paul O'Liney
Ivan Patterson
Peter Patton
Todd Sigel
Shawn Simpson
Curt Smith

Chad Allen
Shawn Bankhead
Kevin Beard
Robert Bennett
Jermaine Harden
Mike Jones
Kimani Jones-Young
Jeremy Luther
Jason Maile
Willie Murdaugh
Scott Schoen
Todd Sigel
Orlando Smart

Shawn Bankhead
Kevin Beard
Rod Blakney
Andre Bovain
Marc Carter
Malik Dixon
Mark Donnelly
David Everette
Tim Gibbs
Larry Gilbert
Ghandi Jordan
Charles Lott
Russell McCutcheon
Keith Richard
Deron Rutledge
Alika Smith
Demond Stone?
Johnny Tyson
Rogers Washington
Damon Williams

Kevin Beard
Malik Dixon
Demarkus Doss
Brian Green
Dionte Harvey
Alvin Jefferson
Rob Johnson
Aaron Owens
Antonio Reynolds-Dean
Kevin Rice
Rogers Washington
Horatio Webster
Corey Williams
Shannon Williams

2000-2001 (Dave Joerger, Tim Gibbs)- IBA Champions
Marquette Alexander
Darius Beard
Kevin Beard
Matt Gladieux?
Faron Hand
Donald Harrison
Dionte Harvey
Shawn Harvey
Eric Holmes
Yaseen Ismail
Michael "Mike" Johnson
Rob Mestas
Willie Murdaugh
Kevin Rice
DeRon Rutledge
Kurt Schwamp
Gordon Scott
Mike Simon
Seth Sundberg
Justin Wismer
Derrick Worrell?

2001-2002 (Dave Joerger, Casey Owens)- CBA Champions
Shawn Daniels
Mark Davis
Khalid El-Amin
Marquise Gainous
Ed Gray
Rico Hill
Courtney James
Danny Johnson
Ken Johnson
Michael "Mike" Johnson
Andy Panko
Chris Porter
Kevin Rice
Miles Simon
Wayne Turner

Kevin Beard
Cory Bradford
Keith Carter
Shawn Daniels
Malik Dixon
Derek Grimm
Courtney James
John Linehan
Curtis McCants
Oliver "Big O" Miller
Andy Panko
Chris Porter
Kevin Rice
Miles Simon
Carlos Strong
John Thomas
Victor Thomas
Rashad Tucker
Sonny Watson

2003-2004 (Dave Joerger, Casey Owens)- CBA Champions
Ashraf Amaya
Rodney Buford
Maurice "Moe" Carter
Kaniel Dickens
Muntrelle Dobbins
Ben Ebong
Eddie Gill
Junior Harrington
Nolan Johnson
Jonathan Jones
Lari Ketner (never played a game, injured)
Mike King
Tim Kisner
Billy Keys
Sean Lampley
John Linehan
Oliver "Big O" Miller
Dennis Mims
Willie Murdaugh
Dean Oliver
Chris Porter
Chad "Big Red" Prewitt
Melvin Sanders
Michael "Animal" Smith
Ray Weathers

Maurice "Mo" Baker
Jeff Brandt
Shawn Daniels
Derrick Davis
Jeff Graves
Chris Herren
Billy Keys
Sean Lampley
Bobby Lazor
Oliver "Big O" Miller
Bryant Notree
Patrick "Pat" Okafor
Chris Porter
Chad "Big Red" Prewitt
Larry Reid
Alex Sanders
Melvin Sanders
Dickey Simpkins
Billy Thomas
Wayne Turner

Chris Alexander
Maurice "Mo" Baker
Terry Black
Damion Dantzler
Devonne Giles
Geoff Husted
Anthony Jackson
Rashi Johnson
James Maye
Jeremee McGuire
Alfred Neale
Rashad Phillips
Kasib Powell
Lee Scruggs (supposedly signed, but never played)
Quintarus "Scooter" Sherrill
Patrick "Pat" Simpson
Billy Thomas
Matt Vaughn
Rocky Walls
Damond Williams
James "Mookie" Wright

2006-2007 (Dave Joerger, Kevin Rice)- D-League Champions
Martynas Andriuskevicius
Brandon Armstrong
Maurice "Mo" Baker
Jerome Beasley
Rod Benson
Leonardo "Morro" Di Pacce Dos Santos
Tremaine Fowlkes
Quemont Greer
Geoff Husted
Dontell Jefferson
Kevin Lyde
Renaldo Major
James Maye
Chris McCray
Alfred Neale
Jameel Pugh
Darius Rice
Curtis Stinson
Awvee Storey
Corey Williams
Justin Williams

2007-2008 (Duane Ticknor, Dean Martin)
Blake Ahearn
Rod Benson
Dontell Jefferson
Perrin Johnson
Carlos Powell
Kibwe Trim
David Palmer
Maurice “Mo” Baker
Wil Frisby
Kevin Lyde

USBasket_EricE
11-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Hopefully at the end of this season, you can add D-League Champions after 2007-2008 (Duane Ticknor, Dean Martin)

DakotaWizardsFan
11-23-2007, 11:23 PM
Hopefully at the end of this season, you can add D-League Champions after 2007-2008 (Duane Ticknor, Dean Martin)

Yeah, hopefully. We've got so much talent on our team. We were just too sloppy tonight. If we take care of the ball better, make more free throws, get defensive rebounds, and have better refs (sorry, I just have to complain about them; they were horrible), then we'll do well.

USBasket_EricE
11-23-2007, 11:49 PM
Yeah, the refs weren't much help. But Iowa did a good job. They've got some talent on their team. The Wizards too. I'm not upset, it was a hard fought game that just ended with a score in the Energy's favor.

I hate to have to do this right now, but I can't help but bring up some statistics of opening night games in Bismarck (these are stats from when the Wizards very first game of each season was IN Bismarck).
2001-2002: Wizards beat Rockford, win CBA championship
2002-2003: Yakima beats Wizards, wins CBA championship
2003-2004: Wizards beat Sioux Falls, win CBA championship
2004-2005: Sioux Falls beats Wizards, wins CBA championship
2007-2008: Iowa beats Wizards, TBD

New Year's Eve is even freakier (I know I posted this somewhere on the forum at one time)
2002-2003: Wizards play Yakima (win), Yakima wins CBA championship after knocking the Wizards out in the conference finals
2003-2004: Wizards play Idaho (lose), Wizards win CBA championship over Idaho
2004-2005: Wizards play Sioux Falls (lose), Sioux Falls wins CBA championship after knocking the Wizards out in the conference finals
2005-2006: Wizards play Yakama (win), Yakama wins CBA championship
2006-2007: Wizards play Colorado (win), Wizards win D-League championship over Colorado
2007-2008: Wizards play Iowa

The wins and losses didn't seem to matter, but either way, the team that played the Wizards on NYE always made it to the league finals.

DakotaWizardsFan
11-23-2007, 11:55 PM
New Year's Eve is even freakier (I know I posted this somewhere on the forum at one time)
2002-2003: Wizards play Yakima (win), Yakima wins CBA championship after knocking the Wizards out in the conference finals
2003-2004: Wizards play Idaho (lose), Wizards win CBA championship over Idaho
2004-2005: Wizards play Sioux Falls (lose), Sioux Falls wins CBA championship after knocking the Wizards out in the conference finals
2005-2006: Wizards play Yakama (win), Yakama wins CBA championship
2006-2007: Wizards play Colorado (win), Wizards win D-League championship over Colorado
2007-2008: Wizards play Iowa

The wins and losses didn't seem to matter, but either way, the team that played the Wizards on NYE always made it to the league finals.

Those are certainly some crazy stats, but I'm not so sure if Iowa will continue the pattern. I think one major factor is involved and that's JamesOn Curry. If he's there, it would be possible; if not, hmm.. we'll see.

DakotaWizardsFan
01-17-2008, 05:48 PM
I've got a question. I have that our coaches in 1999-2000 were Duane Ticknor and Dave Joerger. However, I just read this:

"When Duane Ticknor became the coach in Dakota and Idaho Stampede coach Bryan Gates was his assistant, Robinson traveled on the team bus for a summer."
(http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2008/01/17/bmurphy/day_4_living_at_the_d_league_showcase)

Were Bryan Gates and Dave Joerger both assistant coaches that year?

USBasket_EricE
01-17-2008, 09:49 PM
My guess is that it was a typing error. This was a blog posted by someone that didn't have all the facts. I'm guessing he was referring to Gary, instead of Dakota because Ticknor and Gates coached the Steelheads together a few years ago.

DakotaWiz
01-18-2008, 12:44 AM
Gates was never an assistant here.

Pounder
01-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Brian Murphy was in his 3rd or 4th day of "seclusion" when that was written (Qwest Arena is part of a hotel "complex" of sorts, so he was staying in the hotel while covering the Showcase). He reported feeling loopy after two days. Expect the worst.

DakotaWizardsFan
01-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Okay, thanks for the info. I didn't think Gates ever coached here, but I had to make sure.

USBasket_EricE
02-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Those are certainly some crazy stats, but I'm not so sure if Iowa will continue the pattern. I think one major factor is involved and that's JamesOn Curry. If he's there, it would be possible; if not, hmm.. we'll see.

I guess you were definitely right about this! Maybe the eerie NYE streak of teams, who play the Wizards and make it to the league finals, will finally come to an end too!

BTW, you should edit the final roster again on your second post in this thread, now that Rob and DakotaWiz have provided the most accurate list we've seen yet.