PDA

View Full Version : According to the PBL map...

Minor League Man
05-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Note: I'm guessing "Existing teams" means ABA, and "2008 expansion" means new franchises.

With this info (on http://www.pblpro.com/pblteams.htm):

SPECULATED TEAM LIST:
LA Area (former ABA team, not sure which one though-could be Hollywood, LA Aftershock, SoCal Legends, etc.)
Bay Area (former ABA team, could be SF Pilots, Sacramento Heatwave, or even California Eagles)
Las Vegas (expansion team)
Oklahoma City (expansion team)
Dallas/Ft. Worth (expansion team-sorry, Tycoon fans)
Minnesota (could be Ripknees or Rochester Fire)
Quad City Riverhawks (former ABA team)
Chicago Rockstars (former ABA team)
Arkansas Aeros (former ABA team)
St. Louis Stunners (former ABA team) (WTF?)
Quebec Kebekwa (former ABA team)
Halifax Rainmen (former ABA team-but never played in ABA)
Rochester Razorsharks (former ABA team)
Hartford (expansion team)
Maryland Nighthawks (former ABA team)
Wilmington Sea Dawgs (former ABA team)
Jacksonville Jam (former ABA team)

This is mere speculation...But given the map locations (http://www.pblpro.com/pblteams.htm) would you agree with me?

Paul S
05-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Quebec Kebekwa (former ABA team)
Halifax Rainmen (former ABA team-but never played in ABA)[

That map is either flat out wrong or one of the stars was tossed like a dart at a dartboard.

The one star looks like its in Montreal and the other is (as previously noted here) in the center (centre?) of Hudson Bay.

Unless someone is deluding themselves that the Halifax Rainmen are going to play on an island that technically belongs to Nunavut Territory (all islands in Hudson Bay belong to Nunavut) they just planted the star.......somewhere or other.

Shootmaster_44
05-02-2007, 08:54 PM
That map is either flat out wrong or one of the stars was tossed like a dart at a dartboard.

The one star looks like its in Montreal and the other is (as previously noted here) in the center (centre?) of Hudson Bay.

Unless someone is deluding themselves that the Halifax Rainmen are going to play on an island that technically belongs to Nunavut Territory (all islands in Hudson Bay belong to Nunavut) they just planted the star.......somewhere or other.

Unless they've changed the map since this was posted, the Northern circle is not in Hudson Bay. Its a little high, but I am guessing that's supposed to represent Ottawa, though they have the dot placed in about Val D'Or, Quebec (which does have an arena that could work for this). If it was supposed to be a Nunavut team the circle would be above the map in the border somewhere. I'm guessing the other team is Quebec, not Montreal.

jamesaba
05-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Why publish a map of dots and stars without first announcing the teams in a press release???

and if they teams aren't contractually already in the PBL, then why put a dot or a star on the map??

Could they just be trying to look bigger than they are??

Seems foolish either way to me.

Shootmaster_44
05-03-2007, 06:24 AM
Why publish a map of dots and stars without first announcing the teams in a press release???

and if they teams aren't contractually already in the PBL, then why put a dot or a star on the map??

Could they just be trying to look bigger than they are??

Seems foolish either way to me.

Or trying to artificially create some buzz about their league. Its one of those things that spreads like wildfire amongst sports geeks. I find out Saskatoon is getting an IBL team, I tell my dad, he tells his buddy and so on and so on and soon enough my buzz reaches someone at the newspaper. So I'm thinking you put vague dots on a map and you'll have fans of all the ABA teams pondering whether their team is the one that is joining up.

On a side note, will the PBL actually have any expansion teams or are they simply raiding the best ABA clubs?

dmbishop
05-03-2007, 07:37 AM
OK, I was getting bored with the speculation, so I overlayed a North America Map on top of the PBL map. The PBL map is not quite to scale, but you should get an idea.

http://www.morebbsi.com/pblmap.jpg

Not exactly perfect (central dots seem to be a bit south, and the west dots are a bit to the northeast), but you get the idea.

Dave

PHXfan
05-03-2007, 12:15 PM
why not look into expansion into AZ as well. then you could have 4 teams comprising a southwest conference.

OneBetter
05-03-2007, 12:19 PM
why not look into expansion into AZ as well. then you could have 4 teams comprising a southwest conference.

Agreed. A team in a west or east Phoenix suburb may do ok. Or, I think a better choice would be Prescott.

PHXfan
05-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Prescott would definetly be a great choice.

I've like the city for years now for a minor league basketball team. They have got a 5-6,000 seating arena with a basketball crazy community.

I don't know maybe PBL, but I even think it may be D-league status.

Shootmaster_44
05-04-2007, 01:03 AM
Looks based on the map above, that the dot everyone was convinced was in Northern Canada, is really just Ottawa. Move the United States of the PBL's map to where the 49th parallel is and Ottawa is essentially on the dot. Give or take a few centimeters.

panchess
05-04-2007, 01:58 PM
..I would assume. The overlay map is a bit off, but I wouldn't assume Ottawa, but Quebec City, which is quite a bit northwest of Montreal. Ottawa is on the map.

The only potential team that hurts the CBA (other than Rochester not joining, but why cry about what you don't have) is Hartford, and it's footprint isn't that close, but it would make a good travel partner for Albany.

Jacksonville just issued a press release on their new coach that talked about the ABA season, but they are the logical ones for the PBL, along with Wilmington, Arkansas, and the Minnesota Ripknees from the ABA.

Actually if you move the map up, it would be in Mexico, not LA. Could it be Tijuana from the ABA?

The CBA hasn't mentioned any expansion teams from Southern California in a while, so I am guessing the SoCal Legends, LA Aftershock and so on are part of the history books.

bectond
05-04-2007, 02:59 PM
The only potential team that hurts the CBA (other than Rochester not joining, but why cry about what you don't have) is Hartford, and it's footprint isn't that close, but it would make a good travel partner for Albany.

Jacksonville just issued a press release on their new coach that talked about the ABA season, but they are the logical ones for the PBL, along with Wilmington, Arkansas, and the Minnesota Ripknees from the ABA.

The CBA hasn't mentioned any expansion teams from Southern California in a while, so I am guessing the SoCal Legends, LA Aftershock and so on are part of the history books.

Yeah, I to remember reading that Jacksonville hired a former JV coach as their head coach and dir. of player personnel. Is the ABA a developmental league? How much do JV coaches really know about the pro game, I wonder......But their choice of coaches leads me to believe that the Jam would make an excellent PBL club, i'm sure they really thought that one out long and hard.

Hartford will be in the D-League within the next five years, so i'm not sure which venue the Hartford PBL team will use, but it won't be the Civic Center.

rams80
05-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I to remember reading that Jacksonville hired a former JV coach as their head coach and dir. of player personnel. Is the ABA a developmental league? How much do JV coaches really know about the pro game, I wonder......But their choice of coaches leads me to believe that the Jam would make an excellent PBL club, i'm sure they really thought that one out long and hard.

Hartford will be in the D-League within the next five years, so i'm not sure which venue the Hartford PBL team will use, but it won't be the Civic Center.

I doubt the D-League will go into the HCC either. (that's a trainwreck waiting to happen against UCONN.

teqkng
05-04-2007, 07:43 PM
You might be supprised, Coop can stand with the best of them. he is ready, and besides time will tell...

Ok bectond I will even make you a gentlemans bet. If Cooper and the Jam take the playoffs next season I will bake you a humble pie (Prolly Lemon or cherry) with the phrase "YOUR WORDS" in icing on it if you will commit to eating "YOUR WORDS" On a short video for Preeths to post to OSC... I will commit to the same should they not at least make the playoffs. What do you think? Preeths? Fells? anyone want to hold the bet?

bectond
05-06-2007, 08:28 AM
You might be supprised, Coop can stand with the best of them. he is ready, and besides time will tell...

Ok bectond I will even make you a gentlemans bet. If Cooper and the Jam take the playoffs next season I will bake you a humble pie (Prolly Lemon or cherry) with the phrase "YOUR WORDS" in icing on it if you will commit to eating "YOUR WORDS" On a short video for Preeths to post to OSC... I will commit to the same should they not at least make the playoffs. What do you think? Preeths? Fells? anyone want to hold the bet?

Bet on the ABA playoffs - No way dude! A team made the ABA playoffs a couple years back with only two wins.

If you were a coach and you saw teams hiring JV Coaches, you would be a little disturbed, it suggests that coaching in the minor leagues is not important. If the ABA is truly a development league than why not hire a coach that can... develop players for a pro game?

panchess
05-06-2007, 06:05 PM
..because the AHL team there is owned by MSG, and they don't want to play in somebody else's arena. They recently lost the management contract in Hartford, and have floated moving to Danbury, CT or Glens Falls, NY.

The new Civic Center management floated attracting the D-League and Arena Football to make up the dates lost if the AHL Wolf Pack leave.

The PBL is only proposing 12 home dates, though. I don't know how many weekend dates UConn uses in Hartford, but I do know they use all of them in January and February, during the main part of the season, and when the PBL wants the bulk of its season to be.

tony-o
05-30-2007, 11:51 PM
My interpretation of the map:
The existing teams out west are San Diego and an L.A. area team. The expansion team is Las Vegas.

In the midwest the existing teams are Minnesota, Quad Cities, Chicago, Arkansas, and one that looks like either Memphis or St. Louis. The expansion teams are Oklahoma City and Dallas/Fort Worth.

Out east, the existing teams are Jacksonville, Wilmington NC, Baltimore, Rochester, Quebec City, and an apparently northern Quebec city. The expansion team is Connecticut.

psbf
05-31-2007, 12:19 AM
is a little outdated. Rochester, Wilmington and Jacksonville(so far) are now in the PBL and OKC is in the CBA.

tbayz1
05-31-2007, 05:18 AM
Jacksonville isnt in it yet!

They are close though along with Buffalo and Syracuse according to a1