PDA

View Full Version : PBL website changed/now I'm more uneasy

SignGuyDino
05-02-2007, 11:32 AM
The pbl website www.pblpro.com has changed.

I'll be frank: With what I read I'm more uneasy. So the "new game" is, if I read this right...

1. More fast paced (Uh...IBL is doing immediate inbounds).
2. More player interactive (every minor league says that).
3. Affordable (every minor league says that including the D-League which gives out tons of freebies).

We're supposed to believe no minor league has ever touted the same "community involvement" line in their sales pitch. What I hear is a lot of fluff and nothing really innovative.

I'm most disturbed that the links open to a new page instead of the same page. That's so irritating and unprofessional. Presuming it's FrontPage, it's real simple: Right-click on the link, go to hyperlink properties, select Target Frame, select "same window." Or if it's a menu bar, check with instructions about "Target Frame" because most pages need to open in the same window unless it's a story or an unassociated website.

I didn't see anything on the site that impressed me as this is a "new game." Nor any mention of any of the "new rules."

EDIT: Upon further review, the page for the map does not exist, The bulleted list incorrectly lists "PBL games assure:" as a bullet, There is a paragraph spacing error on the "PBL PLAY" page, "PBL PLAY" itself is not centered and spaced properly and it's not our job to fix it for them.

I'm sure there's more, but they're not paying me to proofread this site for them. I wish my logo was as good, but other than that, my rinky-dink website for my glorified 4 on 4 rec. league is more functional than this PBL site, and I'm no master web designer. It BEGS the question as to how they are going to use "cutting-edge, state-of-the-art technology" to the "digital universe" if they cannot do a website correctly.

My opinion is irrelevant. The casual fan will see this site and instinctively think the same thing and pass on this league.

Not good. Should be fixed immediately.

logoguru
05-02-2007, 01:06 PM
You know what? Everything you said as a negative (besides the website issues) is a GOOD thing. Good, its the same game. Thats what I want. I dont want a 4 point line. I dont want 1 TO per player. I dont want PowerAde. This is basketball not arena football. The only rule change I want to see is international rules or NBA rules. Thats it.

Wow! What a crappy website! Uhhh, PNG? Uhh, 72 dpi? Uh, magnetic lasso tool/magic eraser? Not too hard. Its unprofessional because a professional isnt doing it. Its like the owners son took a JC class on Dreamweaver and got a C.
________
Laguna Heights Condominium Wong Amat (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

psbf
05-02-2007, 01:13 PM
of the new website, I like it!

OneBetter
05-02-2007, 01:19 PM
They currently show 13 "existing" teams on their team locations map. The teams are spread all across the US and eastern Canada. Does anyone know more specifics about all of these teams? There are also 4 2008 expansion cities shown.

Currently, it appears that there are two California teams all by themselves on the west coast (with an expansion star on the map that looks like it could be Las Vegas).

Judging by the location of the Dots, here's my guess at where the existing teams are located. Lets use this list as a starting point and refine it as anyone gets additional information.

Existing Teams
1. Los Angeles/Hollywood, CA
2. San Diego, CA
3. Minnesota (Minneapolis/St. Paul?)
4. Iowa (Quad Cities?)
5. Chicago, IL
6. St. Louis, MO
7. Arkansas
8. Jacksonville, FL
9. North Carolina (Wilmington?)
10. Maryland Nighthawks
11. Rochester Razorsharks
12. Montreal
13. More Northern Canada (not sure of city)

Considering that these are "existing" teams, I think we can figure out who most of them would be:

1. Hollywood Fame
2. San Diego Wildcats
3. Minnesota Ripknees
4. Quad Cities Riverhawks
5. Chicago Rockstars
6. St. Louis Stunners
7. Arkansas Aeros
8. Jacksonville Jam
9. Wilmington Sea Dawgs
10. Maryland Nighthawks
11. Rochester Razorsharks
12. Montreal Royal
13. ??? What existing team is that far north in Canada?

2008 Expansion
14. Las Vegas
15. Texas (Dallas?)
16. Oklahoma City
17. Conneticut

Since Texas is considered an expansion team, I guess this would mean it is not the Texas Tycoons.

Anyone else have info that could update this list?

The Sweeper
05-02-2007, 01:21 PM
I looked at the map and thought the 2 Canadian teams might be Quebec City and the Ontario Red Wolves. The dot on the left in Canada seems too far northwest for Montreal.

jamesaba
05-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Montreal is staying in the ABA.

The Canadian team that far north is most likely the Quebec Kebekwa.

logoguru
05-02-2007, 01:31 PM
These guys put a dot in the Hudson Bay!

Also, if they start in January 08 then whats an 08 expansion team? My thought is that theyre all "expansion" teams, but whatever.

Maybe that is Vegas....This maps retarded. But based on the idea that they are already existant it might as well be.

Cedar Rapids RiverRaiders?

That is San Diego...my list sucks!
________
BlackPearlGaby (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/BlackPearlGaby)

SignGuyDino
05-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Well, they did add the map. I mentioned earlier that it wasn't on (it wasn't) and they apparently added it today. Still have the problem of pages opening in new windows when it should be the same.

The website does not have to be espn.com or playboy.com. It does have to be accurate and somewhat functional. Let's see if they complete this site in two days.

I can only guess the team in the Carolina coast is Wilmington or Charleston.

My original point was don't call it a "new game" with "new rules" and then don't specify what they are. And please don't insult our intelligence with how you're REALLY going to be in the community, like it's something brand new. EVERY league says it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to any legitimate league in any sport, but let's have some more straightforwardness here and stop the fluff.

logoguru
05-02-2007, 03:18 PM
The website does not have to be ... playboy.com.

Or does it? :)
________
Godess_N_Passion (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Godess_N_Passion/)

SignGuyDino
05-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Maybe that's a bad example.

Lots of teasing on that website.

bdaly
05-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Very interesting. On the negative side, the national footprint is questionable. But, we already had a hint that would be the case with the initial four. But, at least there are enough teams so that travel can be kept reasonable. It's also good to see a few very legit sponsors of the league at this early stage. That's a very good sign. I read in another thread that the league may begin in January. If it can't start in November, I think skipping December is very wise, as we learned with the CBA's modest crowds during the opening month of December.

All in all, these are good signs. The national footprint is questionable, and I'll have to see how they're going to work travel. But that's the only real concern I have from what I've seen so far.

The Magician
05-02-2007, 09:21 PM
that appears to be in the vicinity of Jacksonville, Florida ... Could very well be Savannah, Georgia (?)

Shootmaster_44
05-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Montreal is staying in the ABA.

The Canadian team that far north is most likely the Quebec Kebekwa.

Looking at that map my guess is that's Ottawa. The oft-rumored ABA team for Ottawa likely has jumped to the PBL. The one straddling the border must be the Kebekwa.

Edit: Looking at Mapquest, it must be Ottawa as the dot in New York state almost directly below it is Rochester. It is almost a straight line from Rochester to Ottawa, the PBL just needs to put a map of Canada on their teams' map and position the dot slightly lower.

Minor League Man
05-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Having the states/provinces outlined would help too!

logoguru
05-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Maybe they want all this conjecture. Free advertising and buzz from like 10 of us!
________
JEANSEX live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/JEANSEX)

SignGuyDino
05-02-2007, 11:15 PM
With my split personalities, that makes 15 really. 2 of them are good customers, too.

logoguru
05-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Theyve taken down the map....?
________
Park Royal 3 Condominium (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

jamesaba
05-03-2007, 09:11 PM
the map was bogus...Quebec and Montreal I know for a fact are staying in the ABA.

perhaps the map was their 'wish list' and was posted by the webmaster inadvertantly.

i knew it didn't make sense that they would publish a map with all those teams without putting out press releases first.

logoguru
05-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Its actually still "up"...you just cant get to it by clicking on the link...its "hidden" now, which to me means it was premature....to the announcement and not some "wishlist."
________
WIKI VAPORIZER (http://vaporizerwiki.com)

waytogo13
05-13-2007, 02:27 AM
Let's hope the league worries more about succeeding then they do worrying about forgetting to remove a "bullet"... or having some spacing out of whack on their web site... jeesh... must be rough being perfect

SignGuyDino
05-14-2007, 05:49 AM
Actually, it's quite easy being perfect.

Then again, it's the content that is the most eye-opening:

"The PBL will be the first exclusive, international basketball league purely designed for the ultimate experience around today's modern world. Comprised of well-funded partners and teams from proven top-caliber organizations, the PBL has the combined horsepower to attract and sustain only the best performing talent to deliver unsurpassed excitement for ultimate fan value.

On the court. In the crowd. Anywhere on earth. New rules. New game. We promise you've never quite seen or experienced before."

OK, where do we begin?

1. The NBA and Euroleague are NOT "international" leagues? Seems to me that both leagues have done plenty to educate people about diverse cultures around the world.
2. "...purely designed for the ultimate experience around today's modern world." Ok, how? With webcasts? You're going to need a site at least the equal to nba.com or euroleague.net to pull that off.
3. New rules. What new rules? We hear they're applying to be recognized by FIBA. Last I checked, only the NBA itself gets special rules.
4. New game. Refer to point #3. You can also add the point that we've heard about this "new game" with "new rules" and heard nothing specifically, which means unless they announce otherwise, it's FIBA rules. Certainly something we've all seen before.

Again, I'm for any legitimate basketball league doing well, however, we aren't making these hyperbole comments on a website. They are. I've heard a lot of this "international" talk and "new rules" from the WHA and WHA2 and we all know what a disaster that was.

TheStandard
05-14-2007, 11:49 AM
If they are going to call the FIBA rules new rules then I can say this. The NCAA back in the days and I mean wayyyyy back used the FIBA rules. NCAA. CBA. NBA. D-League all use rules that are modified from the FIBA rules, but in the end when it comes to international tournaments its FIBA rules.

Although after the 2008 olympics FIBA will vote into creating new court dimensions that will extend the 3 point line and the lane although the lane will till be in a trapezoid form. They may also go with 12 minute quaters or head to the 20 minute halves.

To the PBL if they are going to say its new well lets make the hoops 11"6 shoot the 3 from 25 feet and use a different color basketball that is not red white and blue.