PDA

View Full Version : Player Retention

DakotaWiz
04-30-2007, 10:09 PM
How does player retention work in the D-League? This year, the Wizards got a couple players from years past, but will it work out like that again, now that we're not in our inaugural season? Say Rod Benson comes back to the D-League, will we have to draft him, or will he be assigned to us?

DakotaWizardsFan
04-30-2007, 10:20 PM
I'm not exactly sure how this works, but I think you can only have 3 players from the past season. I'm not sure if you automatically get those 3 players though.

bectond
05-01-2007, 12:20 PM
A Team can keep up to four players (However, those four can still sign euro-league or NBA contracts) out of the D-League draft pool. The other six players are placed into a draft pool for Novembers draft. Teams select the four they plan to keep in September.

Oh, one more thing, teams can still draft players they place in the draft pool along with all the other teams.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Oops, I thought I read 3 somewhere. I guess not.

AConcernedCitizen
05-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Can someone explain this a bit better?

If you get 3-4 players from the NBA, what's to stop you signing 6 or more that you had already?

It makes no sense to constantly start over each year with players.

It's one of the reasons that the NFL Europe sucked for years; you never got to bond with players. They bounced all over the place.

AConcernedCitizen
05-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Is it 10 or 12 per team?

panchess
05-02-2007, 12:05 PM
..as if a player actually sticks with an NBA team, they drop out of the pool.

The D-League roster size is 10, like the CBA. They don't have injured reserve though.

I believe players with two years experience or less that enter the D-League either come through the draft or an 'allocation' process where the worst team in the league at the time gets first crack at a new player, and so on based on record.

In the CBA, anybody who is undrafted is a free agent, unless a team folds in the league.

DakotaWizardsFan
05-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Is it 10 or 12 per team?

panchess is half correct. This is what the actual rule is:

"D-League rosters must consist of ten D-League players, but may not exceed a total of 12 players include NBA assignments. If more than two NBA players are assigned at once a team must reduce its roster to avoid going over twelve players."