PDA

View Full Version : GBL on the Radio

JPotter
04-26-2007, 12:15 AM
This is a two-fold message:
(1) An informational message for the fans of the GBL on where you can listen to your favorite team this season
(2) An impassioned cry to the GBL Commissioner (who has done a great job promoting the league from pitch one - which occured in Mesa, AZ on May 26, 2005, thrown by Mesa Miner right-hander Grant Williams!) to find out what a former broadcaster has to do to hook up with a team this season and get the league more exposure.

Here are the GBL Radio teams and where they can be heard (to the best of my knowledge):

Chico Outlaws - Mark Parent's team will be covered by one of the best voices in the business, Rory Miller. Outlaws games will be heard on Sportsfan 101.7 FM ESPN Radio and online through the team's website.

Orange County Flyers - Jordan Moore and Charlie Phillips are back for a 2nd season. Games can be heard on KWRM 1370AM in the OC and online at SportsNetUSA.net.

Long Beach Armada - Last season's on-field host Phillip Goodman takes over in the booth for the departed Rob Buska. No official word as to where the games will be broadcast, but last season they were on live365.com. Although, LB has become a baseball sister city with Barrow, Alaska and will promote and discuss baseball on KBRW am/fm.

Reno Silver Sox - Word came from the Commish in an earlier post that Reno does have a radio deal with ESPN Radio KPLY 630 AM. There is no update on who the voice of the Silver Sox will be. (Commish, any idea?)

St. George Roadrunners - No word if St. George will be on the radio for their inaugural season.

Yuma Scorpions - KBLU 560AM has been the flagship station since year one. There is no word on the GBL site on who the radio voice will be.

I hope this helps out you GBL fans. Growing up in So Cal, I have grown up listening to Vin Scully call Dodgers games. There is nothing better than sitting back and listening to a ball game on the radio.

Mr. Outcalt, as for my impassioned plea, who should I contact if I want to get back into the league? I enjoyed my time in the booth at Mesa and would love to promote the GBL this upcoming season. Any info you can supply would be greatly appreciated!

Shootmaster_44
04-26-2007, 04:53 AM
This is a two-fold message:
(1) An informational message for the fans of the GBL on where you can listen to your favorite team this season
(2) An impassioned cry to the GBL Commissioner (who has done a great job promoting the league from pitch one - which occured in Mesa, AZ on May 26, 2005, thrown by Mesa Miner right-hander Grant Williams!) to find out what a former broadcaster has to do to hook up with a team this season and get the league more exposure.

Here are the GBL Radio teams and where they can be heard (to the best of my knowledge):

Chico Outlaws - Mark Parent's team will be covered by one of the best voices in the business, Rory Miller. Outlaws games will be heard on Sportsfan 101.7 FM ESPN Radio and online through the team's website.

Orange County Flyers - Jordan Moore and Charlie Phillips are back for a 2nd season. Games can be heard on KWRM 1370AM in the OC and online at SportsNetUSA.net.

Long Beach Armada - Last season's on-field host Phillip Goodman takes over in the booth for the departed Rob Buska. No official word as to where the games will be broadcast, but last season they were on live365.com. Although, LB has become a baseball sister city with Barrow, Alaska and will promote and discuss baseball on KBRW am/fm.

Reno Silver Sox - Word came from the Commish in an earlier post that Reno does have a radio deal with ESPN Radio KPLY 630 AM. There is no update on who the voice of the Silver Sox will be. (Commish, any idea?)

St. George Roadrunners - No word if St. George will be on the radio for their inaugural season.

Yuma Scorpions - KBLU 560AM has been the flagship station since year one. There is no word on the GBL site on who the radio voice will be.

I hope this helps out you GBL fans. Growing up in So Cal, I have grown up listening to Vin Scully call Dodgers games. There is nothing better than sitting back and listening to a ball game on the radio.

Mr. Outcalt, as for my impassioned plea, who should I contact if I want to get back into the league? I enjoyed my time in the booth at Mesa and would love to promote the GBL this upcoming season. Any info you can supply would be greatly appreciated!

How many of these games are streamed over the internet? I too enjoy listening to baseball (or sports in general) over the radio and would tune in if I could via the net.

preeths
04-26-2007, 11:35 AM

I couldn't agree more. Rory is fantastic and great fun to listen to.

JPotter
04-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Rory is a great broadcaster and an even better man. I will never forget the first time I met him.

During the first GBL season, my broadcast partner and I had just finished a game in Mesa and knew that Chico was playing a double-header in Surprise on the same night. We packed up our stuff and drove 50 miles to catch the 2nd game of the double dip. We also wanted to meet Rory before he came to Mesa.

When we got to the stadium, the second game had just begun and we walked into the booth. Rory was brilliantly covering the game and waved us in, not knowing who we were except that we were wearing Mesa shirts. At the inning break, we intorduced ourselves and he was happy to have us sit in and watch the rest of the game.

Since leaving Mesa, I watch games in Long Beach every chance I get. When Chico comes to town, I always sit in the booth next to Rory!

Chico fans, you really have one of the best on the air!

aztlgrl
04-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks for letting us know JPotter! I do know that the voice for the Scorpions will be Mitch McLaughlin.
Mitch is in his first season with the Yuma Scorpions serving as the team's public address announcer and clubhouse manager at home and the radio broadcaster on the road. He grew up in Sacramento, California and graduated from California State University, Sacramento with a B.A in journalism. He previously worked at the Daily Democrat newspaper in Woodland, California. Mitch enjoys all sports, following the Green Bay Packers, Sacramento Kings, San Francisco Giants and Duke Blue Devils

WiseAndEck
04-27-2007, 09:38 AM
I am quite friendly with Flyers announcer Charlie Phillips and he told me that he has not signed a contract for this season, although he expects to soon. So it's not official yet, but he should be back, along with Moore.

brian

GBLCommish
04-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Hi John,

Good to hear from you again -- I enjoyed listening to you guys, and calling into the radio booth, during Miners' games during the 2005 season.

St. George does have a radio deal -- games will be heard on KUNF 1210 AM during the season, home and away. They appear to have a television deal in the works as well. We'll see if that gets finalized and how extensive. The St. George radio broadcaster has not been selected yet.

Give me a call and I'll set you up with the St. George GM to discuss the position, and with Reno as well. You can reach me today on my office number at 925-226-2896. Shoot me an email as well and we can discuss in more depth: commish@goldenbaseball.com.

And, yes, I agree with everyone on this thread that Rory Miller is indeed a radio broadcasting deity!

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
Golden Baseball League

Ervin
05-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Commish,
For what It's Worth...I had been on this board looking for John and Daryl for over a year now. I think he (they) did a fantastic job and is the kind of person who serves as an outstanding representative for the GBL, at least he did when he was with the Mesa Miners. I used to like that you could email him questions during the game and he always responded back. I hope a deal can be worked out.

I also would like to add that I think it's great when the league Commisioner actually reads and answers fans questions on an open forum. As a fan I sure appreciate it.

I have been quite curious about something. A few years back there was a league trying to form by Bob Lipp (I think). It seemed I remembered reading they already had a team structure in place in Bisbee, Arizona. Did the GBL ever meet with any representatives from there about a team? I found it strange that location is in your leagues geographical area and no team ever came about.

Once again thank you.

Ervin

GBLCommish
05-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Hi Ervin,

Thanks for the message and the question. I'd love to see John Potter back behind a mic in the GBL this season and I believe he is now discussing some opportunities with a few of our teams.

As for Bisbee-Douglas and Bob Lipp, we've been very aware of the various starts and stops and proposed leagues. One of Bob's professional leagues did get off the ground -- the Arizona-Mexico League during the 2003 season, but it only lasted approximately 3 weeks before folding. Besides Bisbee-Douglas, it included Cananea, Juarez/Tecate, and Nogales. Fans and revenues didn't materialize for the owners and when the first payrolls hit there wasn't the ability to continue operating. Tecate is actually active in the Liga Norte Sonora these days, which is a very good Mexican minor league along the border. By the time our first season began in 2005 the AZMX was long gone and Bob had departed to focusing on collegiate/amateur leagues.

There is an excellent article on the AZMX league at:

http://www.indyleaguesgraveyard.com/leagues/arizonamexicoleague/history.htm

There was a resurgence of activity from Bob in 2005 and 2006 as he attempted a comeback of an AZMX-like professional league under the name of the Baja League -- but it failed to gain traction with venues, team owners, and ultimately switched to a focus on becoming a Fall League spearheaded by minor league player agent Jim Hayes out of Santa Maria, CA. Not sure if it will get launched or not and I understand that Bob is no longer involved.

Bob seems to have returned to his focus on amateur/National Baseball Congress teams/tournaments/leagues and currently runs the amateur Centennial League out of Bisbee. Known as the Border Series last year with eight teams participating -- it has been renamed and plans to play with four teams this summer. We do scout the league for replacement players for the GBL but did not sign any players from it last year -- although I believe the UBL and American Association did pick up a player each. The GBL Yuma Scorpions will play a couple of exhibition games against their team in San Luis, Arizona during our spring training in early June, so I hope the league continues.

Warren Ballpark in Bisbee is one of my favorite old ballparks to visit, not only because of it's history - built in 1909 and considered the oldest existing baseball venue that has hosted professional teams -- but also the town itself is such a delight. Big problem for a GBL team is the population -- about 8,000in the town of Bisbee and another 16,000 in Douglas, but it's a tough 25 miles away. I think Bob has the only viable model that will work in southeastern Arizona -- a low cost amateur or collegiate league. Now if the Tucson Sidewinders ever decided to move -- we'd love to bring the Toros back to Hi Corbett Field in downtown Tucson as a member of the GBL, but that's another discussion...

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
Golden Baseball League
925-226-2896

JPotter
05-05-2007, 07:02 PM
I am in talks with a GBL team to be the lead broadcaster this season. I met with the GM on Friday and the talks were positive. Please wish me good luck because this is a great opportunity to be back in the GBL and back on the air. I will post something on this thread if something becomes official.

Thanks to Ervin for being a supporter and to Kevin Outcalt for getting the ball rolling. I sincerely appreciate it!

Ervin
05-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Commish,
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question. I had always been curious about a GBL team in Bisbee, and now it makes sense to me why that never happened. I also found the article at IndyLeagueGraveyard fascinating. Most appreciated as always.
Ervin

heavesrock
05-07-2007, 07:19 PM
I've been following the Bisbee Kings(Now Copper Kings) since they started up last year, and was wondering if the GBL would be using the CBL as kind of a farm league. Not all the players are currently in college, and a few players from last year were signed by pro teams. The league is pretty good quality.