PDA

View Full Version : Great Lakes League?

mlbcan9
05-08-2004, 07:14 PM
Does anyone have any contact info on this league? Is there a website? Is it really going to happen?

go_rascals
05-10-2004, 06:02 AM
I have a customer who lives in Hannibal, and she thinks it will happen. My dad is from the Farmingotn area, and the park there is really a city park with a few rickety bleachers. Dyersburg and Sikeston have community colleges, and Fulton has a new grandstand built on the foundation of the old one from the 1940s.

My guess is that it won't get off the ground. THe season opener is five weeks away, and there's only one team named (Hannibal Pilots), no schedlu, managers, website, or anything. Hope I'm wrong though.

magi1
05-14-2004, 09:50 PM
Just went to www.kittyleague.com and lo and behold the four teams slated to form the Great Lakes League are under the Kitty League moniker. Not at all surprising since the Kitty League has been bantered about for almost two years now. Fours teams planned: Hannibal (MO) Pilots; Farmington (MO) Flames; Fulton (KY); and the Sikeston (MO). League is supposed to begin on 18 June and play 72 games. Web site is just beginning to be populated with relevant information, such as stadium locations.

Actually wish this league had started a year ago when I resided in the St Louis area. I hope the ownership, the local communities and the players can work together to make the league successful and a positive influence in these medium to large towns.

Suspect I'll attempt to at least get to Hannibal!

patmc16
05-31-2004, 09:00 AM
Check out the web site now. Now they are trying to sell themselves as a summer college league. Why? Because they don't have to pay the players, of course. "The costs associated with starting a professional league have prompted the move", they say. Ya, that combined with the fact that you can't throw together a league in a couple of weeks and expect it to survive. Heck, the Canadian leage was planned out over 2 or more years and they only survived to their first all star break. They plan to be indy pro in 2005. What college kid would want to play in a league that will, by the leagues own admission, be a 1 year league. By now, I'm guessing all of the better college players that will play summer ball are already all set with existing leagues & teams anyway. Actually, if you read the press release on the site, they will let non-college players play if they are over 18 and never signed a pro contract. Come on, even if this does happen (which I still doubt that it will) it will be nothing more than a glorified rec league.

patmc16
06-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Now if you look at the web-site, the league is dead. They say they will be back next year, but doesn't every league say that? I just hope no kids got screwed because of the couple of weeks it was a "summer college league". I'm guessing not as the tryouts don't appear to have ever happened.