PDA

View Full Version : Are tryouts and spring training open to the public?

Silver Sox Fan
04-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Just curious. Reno hasn't announced either but I'd love to take a look at either just to see how the whole process works if they are open.

GBLCommish
04-22-2007, 10:26 PM
Hi Keith,

Yes, both tryouts and spring training are open to the public. Reno's spring training will begin May 29th. They will also have a couple of exhibition games, give the Silver Sox a call for the exact days. They may or may not have a tryout in mid-May as their roster is pretty set, but Les is always upgrading or dealing so he may elect to do so. If he does, you'll probably here about it next week.

Best Regard,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
Golden Baseball League
925-226-2896

Silver Sox Fan
04-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks for that info, Commish! For those curious about this topic, I got an e-mail from Dwight Dortch, GM of the Silver Sox. They are looking at a potential try-out based upon availability of the field and there are two Spring training games, one in Reno on June 2nd vs. Chico and one in Chico a few days later.

I appreciate the responsiveness of the league to its fans. I know folks are busy so it is nice to know league leadership still has time to interact with us and especially like the when Kevin gives us the inside scoop on the hows and whys of the league!

Looking forward to a great year!

Keith

scotts
05-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Hi all,

Looks like i'm a few months behind your posts. Are tryouts for independent leagues/teams open for players to sign-up to tryout? Without having been seen in any recent games by scouts? I know it's a long shot but a dream opportunity non-the-less. Thanks for your time.

I'm also referring to the Northern League specifically...

heavesrock
05-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Yeah, Most teams/leagues have open tryouts for a small fee. Unfortunately, all seasons except CBL, NYBL, and GBL have started so they aren't happening anymore.