PDA

View Full Version : Scorpians Playing Non-League Exhibition games?

heavesrock
04-19-2007, 12:14 AM
I noticed on the schedule of a Semi-Pro called the San Luis Athletics a home game vs. the Yuma Scorpians. Is the the GBL team that is playing Ex. games in the Middle of June, or something else? Commish?

written word
04-19-2007, 01:09 AM
Unless I miss my guess the San Luis Athletics team is one of the teams in the new Centennial Baseball League (college/semi pro summer league) that is forming. Details on the league are shaky but it is rumored to have four squads with teams in Bisbee, San Luis, Tucson and Phoenix this summer. It was called the Border Series in 2006 when it had nine teams stretching from Bisbee to El Paso. The timeframe for that league hasn't been nailed down yet but it is rumored to end in early August. Local AWC players I have spoken too are eager to play but haven't been getting solid information or commitments from the league organizer. Not a good sign if it starts in May.
Not sure why the GBL would schedule a game with a team that it will be competing with for fans this summer though. SL is only 25 minutes from Yuma and has better tacos. Then again few border fans make the trip to Desert Sun for games anyway...
My bet is The Yuma Sun is going to have something on this in the coming weeks...

heavesrock
04-19-2007, 06:59 PM
Yeah I know the league I've been following the CBL. Just wondering why they would schedule games with them. Schedule runs from LAte May-Early August.

FlyerFan
04-19-2007, 10:21 PM
I don't know about the other teams, but I know the Flyers play semi-pro teams during spring training... that would be late May...

heavesrock
04-20-2007, 12:37 AM
Game is June 1 in Yuma, June 5 in SL.

FlyerFan
04-20-2007, 01:51 AM
That's about right... Golden League play begins on June 7th

GBLCommish
04-20-2007, 04:01 AM
Hi Heavesrock,

Yes, you guys have it right it is a spring training exhibition game. The GBL spring training runs this year from May 28th to June 6th. Teams will typically schedule four or five exhibition games as they tune up the players and make their roster decisions. In Yuma, besides the games with San Luis, there will be exhibition games against two military teams and also a team from Mexico.

I do hope the Centennial League gets off the ground, not only for the Yuma exhibition games, but also as a feeder league to provide players to the GBL similar to the many amateur leagues in southern California that have provided many of our rookie players over the last two years. These amateur leagues for post-collegiate players are important as they keep good young players in the game and developing their skills and provide an excellent source of talent for professional leagues -- a good example in GBL History is Manny Ayala who played with the amateur Palm Springs Power before signing with the Mesa Miners at our first tryout camp and we subsequently sold his contract to the San Diego Padres after he was the GBL Rookie Pitcher of the Year in 2005. He is now in his second season of affiliated ball tearing up the High-A California League with the Lake Elsinore Storm and is ranked as one of the Pads top minor league pitching prospects. You can find more info about the Centennial League at http://www.borderbaseball.com/.

Thanks for the interest and the questions. For those Yuma fans out there, Mike Marshall is building a pretty impressive squad and watch for some announcements soon on former major leaguers and Northern League all-stars that have been added to the roster.

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
Golden Baseball League
commish@goldenbaseball.com
925-226-2896